Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Kitchens: help with white scuff on formica countertop

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rolly24
Ottawa
Canada

July 29, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8004061

I have just noticed this weird white scuff develop on my (I believe formica, or possibly laminate) countertop. What is strange is that when I wipe it with water it practically disappears! Then as it tries, it is hardly noticeable until *poof* its back an hour or so later. I don't know what it could have been caused by, I keep a spice rack and some metal containers of dried tea leaves close to their, and some dish soaps.. it is right beside the sink.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the white mark, any thoughts or suggestions?

I have tried a baking soda + white vinegar mixture with no success.

Thumbnail by rolly24
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlexTampa
Tampa, FL

August 18, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8047458

thatis very weird. I was about to say it lookes burned, but It would not go away when wet if so
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

August 27, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8065689

It is probably a scratch from something rough and heavy being slid across the counter top. You can't wipe it off, but you may be able to repair it. Here is a link to a web site that tells you how to repair scratches in formica. Either click on the link or copy and paste it into your Google search field. Hope this helps. Good luck.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019258_remove-scratches-formica.html

Gardeningman
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #8065694

I believe it is just a smear on your camera lense. Just wipe your lense and take another picture.

pegdavis
Rockwall, TX

October 28, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #8182220

I have had a rent house that had ten year old counters and it had the same white mark. When I remodeled the house to down size into I added a new set of cabinets just opposite the ones with the ten year old counters in the same color. After cleaning the scratches and white stain off you would swear both counters were the same age. Use a cleaner called bar keepers friend and apply it with the magic eraser sponge. Clean the area with the spot and rinse and then dry. Finally, use a Formica counter top polish and it will look like new.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America