trying to cure a bladder infection with colloidal silver

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm either having recurrent infections or I'm just not getting rid of it to start with. Taking pharmaceuticals causes lots of problems for me, so I'm trying silver, but I don't know how much to take or what brand. They are not all created equal.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Drinking LOTS of water and taking TONS of vitamin C? Like thousands of milligrams? Peeing a lot (because you drink so much, not because of the cystitis)! Have you tried unsweetened cranberry juice or cranberry capsules? I never heard of slver but I was a very hi-risk because I self-catheterize. I ended up with a sulfa intolerance and I hear you about the drugs. (Now I take 100mg macrodantin a day - I don't see a choice and it's working.) But I fought infections for years with hi-dose vit. C.

I have some alpha lipoic vit C. I can try that. I am allergic to macrodantin, and sulfa drugs.

I was taking something called Super cranactin with D-mannose. It was working, but then it got worse. So now I'm trying silver. It's a natural antibiotic that doesn't mess with your stomach, but so far I haven't found anybody who can tell me for sure how much to take. And the brand at the health food store is not the same one that I started out with. It doesn't seem to be working quite the same.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, allergies happen when you take too many for too long or, I guess, sporadically. Don't know about silver INTERNALLY although I know it is a microbial used in clothes like socks and long underwear.

Well I'm much better and still taking silver. It's expensive, but it works and doesn't mess up my stomach. Thanks for your answers Carrie.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's amazing and wonderful! What exactly did you take and at what dose? Maybe I can get off the Macrodantin .....

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

They have cranberry capsules at the health food store to... cranberry prevents the bacteria from adhering to the bladder & urethra. Also drinking 100% cranberry juice will help to... and lots of water :)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I think you should be very careful about taking silver internally. I do understand what it's like to be in constant pain and how one will try almost anything to get better, isn't silver the thing that can make you turn permanently blue?! There's no cure for that either. That is pretty scary. Just wanted to be sure you are aware of this.

If you have recurrent bladder infections, I would urge you to get a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion about the cause. I suffered terribly for years with this and had a number of torturous procedures before I finally went to a different (3rd or 4th, don't recall) Dr and was cured w/in a few weeks. I haven't had a recurrence for decades. This new Dr said my infection wasn't getting properly treated, so it kept coming back. He put me on some very strong antibiotics for a period of time. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

I realize that your situation may be different. There may not be anything the Dr's can do, but it wouldn't hurt to get other opinions.

Virginia Beach, VA

You have d'mail silverflutter. Belle

South, TX

That guy that turned blue using silver is pretty scary. Be careful with that.

Infections can be because of bladder polyps or kidney stones etc. Good to check out why they happen.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

If you have an infection, you need antibiotics. Cranberry juice and other herbal treatments will not get rid of the infection. I've suffered with kidney and bladder infections for over 15 years. I've tried everything. Cranberry juice and lemon juice can help make your urine more acidic and help PREVENT the buildup of bacteria, but it will not CURE an infection.

Your bladder and kidneys can ache just like any other part of your body. We stress them so much with the toxins we ingest with poor diet. If you think you have an infection, see your doc. I've found that sometimes my kidneys and bladder ache and I can take AZO (over the counter, at Walmart) for a few days and that settles my organs. Aleve can help with the inflammation that may be going on too. If you can get the inflammation under control, it may cure the problem.

I have kidney stones, so I always have the ecoli bacteria, which hides in the crevices of the stones, according to my endocrinologist. I saw a urologist for years who never told me this. He would just treat the severe infections I had when they got severe. I ended up in the hospital 3 times to have antibiotics by IV due to the infections. My endocrinologist said that is so unnecessary. He has put me on a low-dose antibiotic (Trimethoprim) which I take every night. I haven't had an infection now in a year; I was having severe infections constantly for the last 10 years.

Not all antibiotics are sulfa drugs, so talk about alternatives with your doc. Also I've found that drugs I had a reaction to previously don't always affect me the same way. In fact, I had a bad reaction to Trimethoprim several years ago but have no problems with it now. Another drug I've had no problem with in the past made me very sick the last time I took it.

Watch your salt and sugar intake, keep hydrated at all times, avoid caffiene, and eat a healthy diet to keep your "innards" healthy. And try the AZO; it helps with pain and inflammation and may fix you right up. If it doesn't, you probably have an infection or even a stone passing and you may need medical treatment.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

What is AZO?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

It's an OTC drug that Walmart and many other retailers carry. You'll find it around the aspirin and stuff. Walmart probably has a generic form of it. I get a generic from Dollar General for $2 I think. It's the same drug (phenazopyridine) that my doc prescribes, but it costs me around $20 by prescription, 2 by OTC--same drug, same dosage. It's for urinary pain.

It will change the color of your urine. The generic form makes it a bright tequila sunrise color. Other brands make it a beautiful blue-green color, so be aware that it will stain your underwear. You take a couple of pills every 4 hours for 2 or 3 days. And usually, if I don't have an infection, it will stop my pain. If I have an infection, I take in conjunction with the antibiotics.

It won't cure an infection, but it will relieve pain, burning, urgency, etc. I've never had any side effects to it. I use it frequently due to kidney problems, so I keep it on hand all the time. I was glad to find it at Dollar General so much cheaper than buying it by Rx.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ohhhhhh, I've taken that, I used to have tons of blue-green underwear, too! Pyridium, maybe? It certainly was Rx only when I first started taking it, but that was 30 years ago.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

it's over the counter now.... :)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

For years I have carried Pyridium w/ me when traveling. I had a horrible UTI years ago while traveling and maybe 10 hours between the 1st twinge of suspicion (started consuming tons of water) and ending up in a Seattle ER. I had no idea there was an OTC version. I awoke last night w/ my 1st UTI in 3 yrs. My last few episodes have been in the fall . . . ? I also keep an RX of antibiotics for these as my fear of these are great. I was traveling this past week end and my water consumption was down and I got real warm in the long 4 hr drive home. Thank God, literally, for modern medicine!

ciprofloxacin is what I am taking 500 mg 2x day for 3 days.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2010 4:49 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Anastatia, that's how I became allergic to sulfas. I had tons of Bactrim around and I just popped a few any time I felt the twinges of a UTI starting. I guess there's only so much of that stuff you can take in your life, or you need to be totally off it before you take it again (for a complete course). Anyway after a few years of prescribing myself 3g of Bactrim whenever I felt I needed it, I was allergic to sulfa - or something in Bactrim, and that was the most likely suspect.

Well, hi ya'll. Thanks for all your answers. I have been really really sick for the last week. I decided it was time for a colonoscopy and the prep they gave me was Halflyteley or something like that. Anyway I turned out to be allergic to it. I took it tuesday about 6 pm and threw up about 3:30 am, started shaking and passed out. DH took me to the ER and they put me in ICU in a coma for 2 days. They did a catscan and all kinds of exrays and put me on 2 different antibiotics because I had a bladder infection and pneumonia. I woke up with a very upset stomach and the zopherin and ephedrin they were givin me did nothing. When they finally started the potassium IV my stomach calmed down completely and I could eat. Then they started me on a clear liquid diet so they could do the colonoscopy, but that prep didn't work either until after the test. So now they have me scheduled again on the 27th. I think I might still have pneumonia because my chest still hurts. But I guess that might be just a bruise from when my DH put me in the car. My ER doc thinks I might be diabetic, she wants me to see a metabolic doc. I've had lots of fasting blood tests and none of them has shown any signs of me being diabetic, so it seems to me that test is just a waste of money. We have no health insurance and no money tree. I am having trouble keeping my weight up though. In the hopital it went up to 126 and now it's back down to 120. The weight I'm losing is not fat, it's muscle.

I owe somebody some hostas and I can't even remember who it was. Somebody in Kentucky I think. Because of the coma I have forgotten many things. When my DH gave me my cell phone Friday in the hospital I didnt recognize it at all and almolst couldn't remember my home phone or cell phone #.

I do keep AZO on hand all the time. It's been a huge help. The antibiotic I usually take for bladder infections is Keflex. It always works and never makes me sick. I told them that in the hospital and they refused to give me that, I don't know why.

Because of this rotten economy I had to start going to the free clinic here in town. It's called the Good Samaritan Clinic and I have an appointment there this afternoon. Wish me luck.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

silverfluter, my prayers are w/ you.

carrielamont, Altho I keep the Ciprofloxacin on hand I have taken it maybe every 3 yrs? I have taken the Pyridium more often - - - maybe every 1-2 yrs? I have had symptoms disappear after 1 Pyridium and flood my system w/ water. Pyridium must have some anti-bacterial qualities?
I noticed yesterday I dress for the cool autumn morning and by mid day the temperature is up and I am very warm and perspiring mildly and not supplementing my daily 36 oz water bottle I keep on my desk so when I have an off day and low on water intake that has something to do w/ UTI's hitting me in the fall/autumn - - -albeit only every few years.

Anastasia, thanks for your prayers. I sure do need them. I have been reading a website on the internet that belongs to a guy named Sebring. He has an office in Wimberely not far from Fredericksburg. He has a conventional medical background, but he's been doing research on some unconventional medical things like a paleo diet. He claims it cures diabetes, chrones, cancer, and all kinds of other things, but especially diabetes. I will probably be trying this diet since it sounds a lot safer to me than taking prescriptions. I don't know that I have diabetes, but I do apparently have some kind of metabolic problem. And I know I have acid reflux and arthritis. If you have similar problems you might want to check it out too. What's on the diet is lean meat, fruit and veges, but no grain, caffeine or starches. It really looks very tasty.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, silverfluter... what an ordeal!

My doc has had me on a mostly paleo diet for over 6 months, and I'm now off ALL prescription meds (beta blocker, thyroid meds, and meds for acid reflux), lost 25+ pounds and feel better than I have in years. I get blood work done again in November.

No grains (bread, pasta), no sugars, no legumes, grass-fed meat if possible, no starchy veggies like potatoes and corn... but I can have 2 cups coffee with heavy cream as long as it isn't ULTRA-pasteurized; the only dairy is fermented dairy like unsweetened yogurt/kefir, and raw milk cheese. The first 2 weeks were tough because I couldn't figure out what to eat but now it's easy.

Lots of good paleo blogs on the 'Net with recipes and info. I probably read about 20 or so... plus I post a lot on my own blog.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have been hearing lots re: Paleolithic diet aka caveman diet, hunter-gatherer diet. Darius, that is fascinating and fabulous re: the impact this has had on your health & RX's. Do you discuss this in more detail on another thread?

No, but I have posted lots about this journey (recipes, health notes, research) on my blog... (haven't "named the diet" per se, just call it my diet protocol since it's only about 95% paleo).

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Your blog is named?

Yes, look on my dg member page, down at the bottom, for my homepage (blog) link

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I found it right after clicking SEND! thanks.

Darius, thanks for answering. I didn't know that heavy cream and raw milk cheese were on this diet. I've read about half of the book on this. Have you seen it? It's called the Paleo Diet. There are atleast a hundred recipes in the book. I'm going to have to learn to cook all over again. I started this diet last Tuesday I think and I've been hungry ever since. I should be at work now, but I've been eating since I got up. It's all legal stuff, but I'm just really really hungry. I'm glad it's working for you. Have you had an appointment with this doc in Wimbereley? I haven't met him yet, but I'm going with a friend of mine Monday. She's already had her blood tests so she's going back to discuss them with the doc.

I'm not entirely sure that this is quite the right diet for me, because I don't need to lose weight. I'm 5'2" tall and I weighed 119 this morning. About 10 years ago I weighed 155 and really didn't feel very good. I weighed 113 when I got married and gained a little bit with the two pregnancies I had and then after I turned 35 or so I started gaining more. I was told I was hypoglycemic and hypotensive by a nutritionist although all my docs paid no attention to any of that. My blood pressure has been down as low as 70 over 50 and the docs just told me that was great and I'll live to be 105. I always told them I already feel like I am 105.

I did stop the silver. The antibiotics they gave me apparently did get rid of the infection.

About this diet though, I'm still trying to figure out if there is a ratio I'm supposed to stick with between fruits and veges. Fruits are much easier to eat in most cases because I have mostly false teeth and my gums are pretty sore right now. The strawberries seemed to cause that for some reason. I hope I'm not allergic to them.

First, there are some fine lines between the Paleo Diet and the Primal Diet. One place they differ is in saturated fats, which Paleo diets limit. Mostly they are very alike. After reading probably a thousand pages of medical research since mid-March (part of my background was in medical research so it's easy for me) I agree about saturated fats being healthy as long as they come from grass-fed, free-range animals. I wouldn't eat much sat. fat from factory animals on a bet, and besides, that's where the pesticides, herbicides and antibiotics hide. One thing about research: you have to look at who paid for it, and who benefits (in sales).

You might get a lot (or not) from reading this entire NY Times article: http://tiny.cc/qc1ho

No, I don't know that doctor, but since I'm a long way from Texas, it's not likely anyway. Don't get caught up in "following" any diet, but instead look at eliminating things that upset your system once you get it 'clean' and re-introduce something. I'll give you an example: farting. I hadn't realized that I hadn't passed gas (which I had assumed is normal for everyone, to some degree) for over 2+ months until I ate something made with grain at a picnic. Then, gas! Took 3 days to clear it from my system.

Primal Diet in a Nutshell
Eat
1. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and any natural animal fat
2. Vegetables, including leaves, stems, bulbs, roots
3. Fruits and berries (includes avocados and olives)
4. Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, coconut, etc.
5. Herbs and spices

Avoid/minimize (in order of importance)
1. Sweeteners, including sugar (white, brown, organic, whatever), maple syrup, rice syrup, etc.
2. All vegetable oils other than extra virgin olive, avocado, palm, and coconut.
3. Cereal grains and grain products (bread, pasta, pastries, etc.)
4. Legumes (beans and peas, including soy and peanuts)
5. Dairy products

Basic foods of the Paleo Diet
- Wild, lean, animal foods rich in protein and fats such as fish and seafood, eggs, fowl... (not to be confused with today's fats and today's factory-raised animals)

- Non-starchy vegetables with low carbohydrates like nuts, roots & berries

The paleolithic people were hunter gatherers, meaning that products like grain were missing. Modern man eats much more grain than our genetic profile was adapted to.

Research has shown that some genotypes tolerate dairy (I seem to tolerate them), but my doc limits them for me to heavy cream and raw milk cheese because of the sugar (lactose) in milk.

Second, I did not change my diet to lose any weight, just to get healthier. Truthfully, the inflammation in my innards from the wrong foods had added 40 pounds in the last 2 years, and now my body is shedding some of them.

The first 2 weeks I thought I'd starve to death, but my Doc had me off ALL sugar including fruits so my body could start to heal. I ate hard boiled eggs several times a day, between meals, and LOTS of plain yogurt. When my insulin processing (I am NOT diabetic) got back to normal, I finally started to feel full for 3-4 hours as long as I got enough 'good' fats... basically in eggs, egg yolks, bacon, butter, cream, hamburger, full-fat yogurt, cheese, and olive oil and or coconut oil.

It was 3 months before she'd let me have fruits, limited to 2-4 per week. Now I can eat most fruits in moderation and in season (except bananas) and most veggies except starchy ones like corn and potatoes.

I just got a book on braising meats because so many of the less expensive cuts are too tough to eat with no teeth. I now buy only local grass-fed, pastured beef, chicken (and eggs), pork raised outside although they don't eat grass, ... and they all have a much better balance of Omega 6 to Omega 3. Our ratio should be 4:1 or less and the typical American diet is anywhere from 25:1 to 40:1.

One thing is a big no-no... packaged foods. Ever see an ingredient list on a package of carrots? LOL. If a package has a list of ingredients that include additives, it's not real food. Don't eat it. Soy contains goitrogens, which adversely affect our endocrine systems... and it's our endocrines that control all aspects of our health. Soy hides under over 40 names including 'iso-flavones'...

Well, I could write a book here, but won't. I know at least one other person on DG who is on the Paleo or Primal diet (I forget which) but she's off almost all meds now too. That's "scooterbug"... btw.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2010 10:47 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Darius, this doctor of yours is she/he an MD or ??? You and S.bug could hold a session and I would sit @ your feet! This is all so fascinating. I did go to your blog but I did not find an explanation of where you were and where you are now & how you got here. I will go looking for sbug's threads. many thanks. mary

She's an Endocrinologist at Univ. VA Medical Center. It has been a mutual exchange of ideas; some were hers and some were mine. As I made suggestions based on my own research, she followed up with more research. Medical schools really do not teach much about nutrition, so we are basically working together with me as the guinea pig.

There's another MD who is doing great work along these lines that I know about. I think his name is Thomas Cowan but I'll have to look it up. Also, several of the Primal blogs I read are written by MD's.

I'll dmail you with some of my blog posts to look at,

Darius, I didn't know you had false teeth too. Aren't they just the most fun to deal with. It seems my bottom partial will always hurt. Oh well, life must go on. It's going quickly right now too because we found out just yesterday that we are going to do a home and garden show this weekend and have to set up today. We worked long hours yesterday to get ready and have to make at least 2 trips to town today for delivery and set up.

I have been eating protein shakes that are not really on this paleo diet, but the doc I saw sells a protein shake powder so I may start buying some from him. His is terribly expensive though. I like drinking those for breakfast though because they are so easy to fix and not chew.

Do you know anything about Lipospheric Vit C (sp?) I have taken that a few times and I'm just wondering if it might help recover from my pneumonia. The docs are telling me that the infection is gone, but I'll being feeling that weird feeling in my lungs for at least 6 weeks.

Can't remember if I already said anything about this, but one really obvious change in my appearance is that my skin is no longer dry at all and neither is my hair. I don't know whether it was the electrolyte IVs they gave me or this diet. My finger nails are also much healthier - they are stronger and don't crack and the ridges are not nearly as
bad.

I'm curious why you can't eat bananas Darius? I've been eating one everyday and in the book it says you can. But on my hypoglycemic diet I couldn't have them at all. Are you also hypoglycemic?

I don't normally eat a lot of packaged foods either anymore, except for deli meats. I don't have a lot of time to cook and never liked it anyway. The HEB deli here is pretty good with their slicer and that makes it a really big temptation to buy. I know that makes my omega 6 intake higher though. I'm confused about what the label needs to say if the meat is range fed. Is it organic or natural or what? It would be nice if I could just eat more eggs.

Yes, I'm borderline hypoglycemic. Why can't you eat more eggs? I eat a dozen a week. I'd be a little concerned about a doc recommending a protein shake powder. Most current research shows we get far more protein in our diets (even lousy diets) than we need, but esp. on a primal or paleo diet.

Although I don't eat these anymore, my liver doc recommended them 2 years ago when I needed more 'quick' protein: the carnation instant breakfast packages, made with whole milk and one pastured egg, yolk only. (I don't eat the carnation stuff anymore because of soy.) Now if I need a quick fix I mix a raw egg yolk with plain yogurt (homemade, no sugars added, cheap and easy to make) and a little fresh fruit or dried organic unsweetened coconut for flavor... or sometimes just a drop of vanilla. Tropical Traditions is a good online source for coconut, I buy tubs of it when it's on sale and I use a lot of it. I also use a lot of their organic, cold-pressed coconut oil.

It took 2-3 months for my skin and nails to show improvement... I am/was a redhead and my thin skin has really suffered over the years. It's still a little dry, but 1,000% improvement!

Lipospheric Vit C: I'd avoid it, at least for now. A mega-dose of any single vitamin isn't very healthy... it unbalances the system. Get your system clean and functioning again so it can absorb the vitamins in foods (or supplements). New evidence suggests that vitamin C works synergistically with vitamin E (needed for circulation, tissue repair and healing). Hypoglycemics and individuals on a high-protein diet require more vitamin C as these conditions interfere with the metabolism of ascorbic acid. It is found in many fruits and vegetables and in certain animal organs.

Increased ingestion of polyunsaturated oils requires greater amounts of vitamin E in the diet. It is found in unrefined vegetable oils, butter, organ meats, grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and dark green leafy vegetables.
When I do take Vit E, I take the d-Alpha capsules, but mostly I get enough in my diet via greens, coconut oil, olive oil, liver (from grass-fed beef only), and butter. (I don't eat grains or legumes.)

This book has some great info on all the pieces/parts our bodies need and how they work. The Paleo Solution: The Original Human DIET (This link is only a great review, but the book is on my wish list.) http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/2010/09/pimping-robb-keep-your-poop-where-it.html

If you haven't read this, you should... get it from the library: Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. She does include nuts, grains and legumes, but only with soaking to remove phytates. However, her info in general is excellent. She's part of the Weston A Price group and their website has some awesome information. http://www.westonaprice.org/

Darius, thanks very much for all that info. Sorry I'm taking so long to answer. This is my own thread and I should spend more time here, but there just isn't much time. I've gone back to work part time, my poor DH is really over-worked. I don't remember if I mentioned this already or not, but we are self employed and work together. He's been working almost by himself since about last Feb. And this is our busiest time of the year too. So it'll be awhile before I can look into those info sources you gave me. I do think I need a slightly different variation of this diet though, because the emphasis seems to be on losing weight and I really don't want to do that. (Never thought I would say that). I miss Ezekiel bread and pinto beans and butter. And I have always really enjoyed eggs. I could easily eat a dozen a week too.

The doctors are telling me now that I shouldn't be taking any supplements for awhile. I didn't believe them at first, but I found out that when I did take some of what I used to take I didn't feel very good. I really don't understand this. Why does calcium and CoQ10 and fish oil and probiotics make me sick? I feel run down and really tired.

I do feel stronger though if I don't take any thing. I got my lab report back and according to that I do not have Addison's, so that's good news.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Regarding Bladder, kidney, or UTI infections. I have had alot of them and I really do not want to take antibiotics because I have had C-dif and do not want to ever have it again. Then I saw a different doctor than I usually do and she told me that being constipated is a cause and an indicator for them. Now I am more careful of that and have not had one for several months.

Mableruth, thanks for your contribution. I did a google search on C-dif. Maybe I didn't read it right, but I didn't see constipation listed as one of the symptoms. But then my eyes and brain are still not communicating fully still. It doesn't sound pleasant though. Sorry you had to go through that.

Darius, I'm going to look at your blog posts finally. I really need some false teeth friendly recipes.

Be back later.

Mary Lee

PS Darius I am curious about your homemade yogurt recipe. Is that in your blog?

This message was edited Oct 3, 2010 8:51 PM

Yep... look under the "Tutorial" tag... I do it the same whether I'm using raw goat milk or pasteurized cow milk from the store. I prefer using full fat milk; yogurt from non-fat milk is yuck, and the manufacturer's who make it have to add something to make it creamy.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry that I was vauge on the C-dif. It actually has the exact opposite problem than constipation. When you take antibiotics the medicine kills every thing - the good germs along with the bad ones. Eventually the bad ones multiply fast enough in that envirement that you get very sick. I was in the hospital for one week in isolation because it is very contagious. There was a nurse assigned to me, who put on a gown, mask, and gloves before coming into my room. I guess my point was that I want to avoid having to take antibiotics for UTI, bladder, or kidney infections for obvious reasons. So what I need is how to not get them in the first place or a way to treat them that does not use antibiotics.

As far as fending off uti's, there is some wonderful herbal stuff from a company here in Texas called Weed Botanical. It's called Urinary Antiseptic and contains uva ursi, cleavers, thuga leaf, and wintergreen. It's 50% alcohol. You mix it with a little water to prevent the bacteria from sticking to the wall of your bladder. It took it for many years before the economy crashed and I couldn't afford it any more. I didn't have a uti for the entire time I took it.

When I first got out of the hospital I didn't use yogurt or half n half. Everything worked much better. Then I decided to try yogurt again because it's supposed to be so good for you. I also put some half n half in some decaf coffee and the constipation came back. So I quit the yogurt and half n half again and lo and behold this morning the bowels moved.

Grapefruit also seems to make a big difference for me. When I got out of the hospital I started eating grapefruit, strawberries, apples, plums and bananas. My nutritionist advised me to stop the grapefruit and bananas about a week after I got home. So I did and that's when I started eating yogurt again. I guess this is very confusing. It's even confusing me. But why would grapefruit make such a big difference?

Yogurt: You could be one of those folk who have a hard time digesting A1 milk... You might try some yogurt made with A2 milk and see if it makes a difference.

Also, if you have been on antibiotics which kill intestinal bacteria (good ones along with bad ones) and start eating a probiotic like yogurt, constipation is fairly natural for a few days while the digestive bacteria get their act together...

Grapefruit is a no-no if you are taking some medications... not all meds, of course. On the positive side, grapefruit contains lots of soluble fiber, which helps the constipation issue. On the negative side, it affects liver enzymes... You need to pin down the nutritionist and ask specifically why he/she advised you to stop the grapefruit.

He told me to stop grapefruit because the glycemic index is too high. I've had lots of extensive blood tests done in the last 10 years by him that he says indicate that my liver is sluggish and stressed. I'm not taking any medications what so ever. Is there anything I can eat to help the constipation as much as grapefruit that doesn't mess with my liver?

I have had many many rounds of antibiotics in my 56 years. I started eating yogurt probably 15 years ago, but it was Dannon with all the sugar and other junk they put in there. I didn't know any better then. About 3-4 years ago I started eating plain yogurt from Horizon or Brown Cow or some other organic brand, thinking that would be better. For awhile it seemed to be helping, but not now. I also took probiotics from various companies. Sometimes it was Amway (I bought that from a friend). Most recently I was taking probiotics from a company called Biotics Research. It does have 3 kinds of bifidobacterium in it. I did read that stuff in your tutorial about the A1 and A2 milk. I need to go back and read that again. I don't know of any source of milk from grass fed cows around here. I do know somebody I can ask. That call was on my to-do-list today.

A doctor told me once that she thought I had colitis, but she didn't do any tests because she knew I didn't have any insurance. I'm wondering what are the symptoms of colitis, and what do you do about it. I could look it up on Google, but every time I do that those websites just scare the you-know-what out of me and confuse me. If I had colitis, would a stressed liver be a natural result? I have heard of people having colitis and getting treatment and getting back to their life, but I wonder can that happen without health insurance? I would rather treat it nutritionally. I don't have much trust in pills from pharmacies. I don't even take tylenol or aspirin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images