Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

July 30, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #8006013

I've been using Foli-Cal (10% calcium Acetate) on my plants for budding etc.(C.Chinense like lots of Calcium).
Foli Cal concentrate is anywhere from $9.00 - $19.00 for 16 oz.
Foli Cal works great on plants and at keeping my wallet empty.
Looking for a cheeper way to get it.

I read on a science site you can make Calcium Acetate by mixing 6 grams of Lime with 100 ML. of 5% vinegar to get the same thing.
MUCH cheeper to make(assuming it's really the same stuff).
I'm going to try it out Maybe tomorrow...

Any Chemistry wiz here to advise about making this and is it safe for plants-same stuff?

Several sites said the same info (Science and garden sites) so it looks ok if you can trust what others posted on these sites...

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #8014804

Lime is either calcium oxide (quicklime) or calcium hydroxide (slaked lime) and alkaline. Vinegar is acetic acid. combining the two will yield calcium acetate and hydrogen oxide, namely water. If you have a way of testing pH (strips or drops), the final reaction mixture should be near neutral (pH 7). If above 8, add more vinegar, if below 6 add more lime.
You can also soak egg shells in vinegar to get calcium acetate.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

August 3, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #8014828

From what I read using egg shells takes a lot of time because of other stuff in the shell.

I played with 2 sources of Calcium with vinegar.
The fastest was a generic Tums type antacid.It's only ingredient was Calcium Carbonate-200mg per tab.I disolved 9 tabs in 100ml of vinegar.
They totally disolved in less than 2 hours+/-.

I tried Dolomite lime next.Going on 2 days with a mix of 100ml Vinegar and 6 grams Dolomite Lime.
there is a very fine sediment of gray stuff that the disloving white powder is getting vcovered with.I assume it is the magnesium or other impurities in the lime.
Not all of the white powder is disolved yet.

Both have a PH of about 3 and it doesn't much matter if I put more calcium in it.it doesn't want to change.I'm using a liquid test kit...
Could be impurities causing the PH to stick where it is.
If neither changes in a day or so I'll strain it and add more calcium and repeat the process.
hopefully the straining will get rid of some of the impurities in the mixture.
The Dolomite Lime bag says:

21.8% calcium
11.6% Magnesium
54.7% Calcium Carbonate
40.2% Magnesium Carbonate

Calcium Carbonate equivalent 103%

Derived from natural Dolomite

Don't know how you can have 103% of something unless it's like Booze-200 proof =100%.
All those percentages add up to different #'s anyway so I don't know what they mean...

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 11:05 PM

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8019463

It contains 54.7% calcium carbonate (CaCO3) - since calcium has a molecular weight of approx. 40 and calcium carbonate has a molecular weight of approx. 100, the total calcium content is 21.8%. Calcium carbonate equivalent means that dolomite neutralizes 103% of the acid that the same amount of pure calcium carbonate would neutralize.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America