-
AuthorContent
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8007156

I have this D mexicana vining away about to touch the ceiling 7 feet up. Not one leaf on it. When I repotted it several months ago, I filled it mostly with drain rock then a pumice and potting soil based mix, and recently took the rock from the top and used my standard mix to the top of the rim of the caudex. The plant gets morning sun, but no more. Right now the trellis is hanging from the curtain rod, and not attached to the pot, making moving interesting. Not to mention the pot is about !00#.

Is this normal that leaves come later, or do I need to do something different?

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8007488

I haven't growth it myself but this is a good link about it:
http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/dio-mex-sub.asp
It looks like your pot is really big compared to the ones on the site. It also says is is more winter growing. Maybe the leaves will come along then?
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8007686

I am a big fan of that site, but there is no mention of them being vine first leaves later. And as far as winter grower, have you seen his post on other Diasocoria, as they don't have a very good time table. just water when growing.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8007750

The leaves will be coming. Patience is necessary. I grow a couple of different Dioscorea and it is not uncommon for them to send up long, leafless shoots like your plant has. Then later the leaves will arrive.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #8007813

I can't remember for sure, but I think that the vine comes first and then the leaves. But don't quote me on that. A little fertilizer with some nitrogen in it should help the vine leaf out.

This doesn't answer your question, but it's a great article I thought you might enjoy: http://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/newsletter_pdfs/newsWinter03.pdf

Thanks, podster! We cross-posted.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 7:44 PM
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2010
1:15 AM

Post #8008073

Yep, Faeden, I checked that article out at Berkeley before posting (and saved a copy) but it still left me wondeing, so I asked and now know. Thanks all.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #8009194

Glad you saw it, AD!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America