Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 243, Views: 1,258
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8010401

Here in upper midwest August is called "Dog Days". Probably because of the lazy type weather. To hot & humid to do much work. Good time to just lay under a shade tree.

State fairs are the thing in August.
Iowa starts August 12, runs until the 22nd. Minnesota is August 26 through Labor day. I've been to MN State Fair many times. Not quite like it used to be. More Urban now, while in earlier times it was definitely farming theme. The 80 acre "Machinery Hill" has been replaced with riding lawn mowers.

Although not a fair as such, Minnesota's "Farmfest" starts tomorrow. It's a 3 day machinery & crop show. Farmers from wide & far attend to see the newest machines & new crop varieties. Lots of in field demonstrations too.

So we kick off the last month of real summer.

Bernie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8010408

The Old Farmer's Almanac lists the traditional timing of the Dog Days as the 40 days beginning July 3 and ending August 11, coinciding with the ancient heliacal (at sunrise) rising of the Dog Star, Sirius. These are the days of the year when rainfall is at its lowest levels.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #8010412

Rainfall at it's lowest levels ? Not here, not this year. Been wet here the whole past month.
Normally would be real dry this time of year.
Thanks for the explanation of Dog Days.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #8010487

Here it has alternated wildly all summer between very dry and very wet; I either have to water the garden, or wear my boots. The ground doesn't seem to hold moisture much this year... it gets bone-dry down deep within just a few days after having lots of rainfall.

Global Weirding?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8010500

Stopped Raining - Gauge (which read 3/10 in yesterday morning) now displays 1 & 4/10 in.

Still overcast and cool @ 63

Details for Sunday, August 01
Cloudy early with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. High 78F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms this evening with a few showers possible overnight. Low 67F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8010522

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie.
Darius, thanks for the explanation of Dog Days...I just associate it with snakes...shedding. You're just a 'fount of knowledge'! :D
Dyson, I'd say you found a good spot for your gauge. We didn't get near that much, but it rained lightly all day yesterday. A good soaking.

We have a temp of 64 and still cloudy like it will rain more.

"Welcome to the jungle'

Thumbnail by music2keep
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8011190

Joey, I keep hearing Guns N' Roses when I think of "Welcome to the Jungle..." LOL

Hot, humid (for us) and sunny.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #8011234

LOL! Celia! That's what I was thinkin' too! :D
Pretty flowers! What are they?

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #8011244

Those are CA poppies. I found the white on a couple of days ago. I remember putting those seeds in 2 years ago and it finally germinated.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8011481

[quote]The house built in 1950's looks more like Formstone or Perma-Stone and not real stone.[/quote]
Interesting that a fake stone could turn out so attractive and hold up so well.

Other than a week in the middle of July, it has been less hot than usual. Last summer was like that, too. However, we can still get brutally hot weather up almost to November. No rain here of course. It's only August.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 01, 2010
84 F
Clear
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSE

This is in the Santa Monica Mountains, which isn't far from here. I don't consider them real mountains, but that's what they're called. They're rugged enough, anyways. The haze is from the fire up at Palmdale.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #8011486

The chaparral plant community stays green. Coastal sage scrub gets fairly brown. By October it will look pretty tired.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8011854

Hot and humid. Just gonna get hotter as week goes on.

Butterfly on zinna. I'm loving my zinnas this year. They are blooming just as my rudibeckias and coneflowers are fading.

Thumbnail by pepper23

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 1, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #8012454

Interesting how you have the State Fairs circuit. We have the Agricultural Shows, or just "Shows" for short. In the Northern Territory here we have the Alice Springs one first, which then packs up and moves to Katherine and finally (only a couple of weeks ago) to Darwin. There's a mixture of side shows, amusements, agricultural equipment, livestock, floral, vegetable/produce, woodchopping, rodeos, etc.

To put the area into a bit of perspective, the Northern Territory is more than twice the size of Texas, but Texas has more than 200 times our population. The climate ranges from arid desert in the south to equatorial topics in the north.

Yesterday was quite windy here with a bit of cloud but the temperature got to a maximum of 36.5C (97.7F). This morning's minimum was 24.2C (75.6F). Looks like the temperatures will drop a little over the next few days, but not likely to rain.

Another of the Goodenia sp. growing wild at my place.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8012647

71F Feels Like: 71
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 68
Pressure: 29.96 in
Visibility: 8.0 mi
UV Index :0 - Low
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 30 min
Through 11am: Widespread showers and thunderstorms developing around mid-morning. Increasing clouds with temperatures warming rapidly into the mid to upper 70s. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Bernie, it's dog days here too, but no rest for the wicked at my place :o) It's too bad the modern world has changed the fairs. If we want to go way back, we have Old Thresher's Day in Mount Pleasant. We used to go when I was a kid. They have a nice mid sized train you can ride. It's really not a kids place unless they've added some attractions for them. Thanks for the new thread!

Darius, thanks for the offical explanation. I do like Bernie's breakdown we are expecting rain today. I think I'll be glad to have it. As much as we've had, only the front yard under the walnut tree is soft enough to feel your heel dig in, and the grass is mighty sparse in the shadiest area. Global weirding is right!

Wow Dyson, a little priming and you hit a waterfall!

Joey, your "jungle" is lovely and I really enjoy my Joe Pye Weed. That's a beautiful spot of tiger sunshine! GORGEOUS African Violets!

Celia, me too! Nice hot and cold colors. Is that Cosmos? Never mind! I love those!

Kelli, rugged and tall. I think they're mountainous enough for me, LOL! I'm amazed that anything is green with the small amount of rain you get. It's even a nice dark green.

Pepper, I love Zinnias too and regret not getting any planted this spring. Next year and I know exactly whare they are going to be planted! I love the buttery Sulphers.

Tropic, your ''shows'' are like our State Fairs. I don't think we have the rodeos, but we have talent shows and bands that play for free in the bandstands. There are tractor pulls and well, here's a link :o) http://www.iowastatefair.com/ I Google Earthed your area and came out on the highways. Are you more arid, humid or in between? I love the fringe on the bloom! It doean't resemble anything I'm familiar with.

I washed windows inside and out the other day so it's going to rain for sure!

Daylily Kwanso bloomed bigger and better!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #8012666

I forgot to wish Ric a ''HAPPY WORKDAY!!''

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8012726

We have a big steam engine show not far from here. I have only went once on a Sunday after it rained all weekend. Most of the machines were gone already.

Short rain shower a few minutes ago. Lasted a whole 10 minutes.
I have 2 guys out picking pickles. Couple more supposed to show up.

Very busy time of the year here.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #8012747

Bernie, I love apples! What kind are you picking? Transparents are the only thing that woud be ready around here.

Our rain should be here in about 3 hgours. It clouded up pretty good a short time after sunrise.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #8012983

Pickles!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #8013542

ROTFL!!! What pickles where?

It didn't rain much more than sprinkles this morning. I tied up a few plants and pulled a few weeds. The sun is out and it's getting stuffy out there.

84 and warm! Sunny and breezy. It looks really nice out :o)

Sunrise in the Northeast the other morning

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8013753

Pickles is one of my favorite cartoons. Bread and butter actual pickles are my favorite to eat. LOL

It's hot, it just rained and now it's muggy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8014077

The temp topped out just shy of 90 today, but was muggy and uncomfortable with dewpoints in the 70s.
A good day to stay indoors. Saw this neat looking yellow beetle on my one trip out and was pleased to get an ID on the insects forum-- Spotless Larger Elm Leaf Beetle. We do have a lot of volunteer elms I am constantly trying to keep out of my garden beds.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8014161

Very hot and muggy.

97*
heat index of 106
Humidity at 54%
Winds out of the south at 13 mph
Sunny with not a cloud in site.

Hibiscus and moon carrot. The name of the hib escapes me at the moment but I got the seeds from Summerhill. The blooms are a deep burgandy.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8014263

Everyone is having muggy weather, it seems

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8014365

The first day went much better than I thought it would.
The issue I had before was not enough work and it got VERY boring late in the day.
(Plus I was just burned out.)
Well the guy I'm replacing wasn't doing squat.
So I spent the whole day playing catch up.
I was work friends w/ many of the people there so that part was really nice.
Most didn't know I was coming back and it was fun to see the looks on their faces.
Two went up to Jon (our neighbor and the Plant Manager) and said I'd done work that hadn't been touched in a year.

We just got back from celebrating his 50th Birthday and other than the compliments he said nothing about work. So...

Bit Tough getting up this morning...
Tougher working in Climate Control and coming home to real weather! LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8014447

LOL Ric!! I have the same problem!! Going outside is like stepping into a sauna right now.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 2, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #8014480

Minimum overnight temperature was 20.4C (68.7F). Maximum yesterday was 34.2C (93.6F). There's lots of wind now from the south east, dry and cold. I expect by end of this week the minimum will be a few degrees lower, until the high pressure moves on.

The Syzygium suborbiculare here are a mass of buds and flowers now, a sign of immanent rain. The Persoonia falcata has been budding up for a while, a fore runner to the Build-up. Looks like the signals here have been for an early start to the wet season, long enough anyway for the plants to start to believe it. But it's all a couple of months early.

Billyporter, that's an interesting link to the state fair. It is generally the same as what we have just with a different name. I googled ours and came up with this link:
www.darwinshow.com.au/RoyalShow.htm

All aerial/satellite images here are usually taken during the dry season when there's little or no cloud cover. Hence the dry look of the country. Our monsoonal climate means all our rain comes in summer (wet season) and the winter is completely dry (dry season). Annual rainfall is about 2000 millimetres (78.74 inches), but it all comes in virtually only 5 months. The wet season is very hot and humid, the dry season is hot and drier. Although relative humidity levels can still get high during the dry season, just no rain.

Another of the Goodenias growing wild at my place.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8014929

73F Feels Like: 73 High 90
Past 24-hr: Precip: 1.25 in (est.)
Wind: From SW at 4mph
Breakdown: Humidity:94%
Dew Point: 71
Pressure: 29.94 in
Visibility: 3.0 mi
UV Index: 0 - Low Sunrise Information:
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 32 min
Through 11am: Showers and thunderstorms ending by mid-morning. Mostly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 80s. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

Celia, love the sparrows! Awww for picture # 2.

Sunfarm, neat elm bug. I've never seen one here. I pull volunteer chinese elms, walnuts and mulberries.

Pepper, love the name moon carrot! It sets off the Hibiscus color. I'm appreciating my burgandy sedums about now.

Ric, long hours with nothing to do, do burn you out. I'm glad you had a chance to prove your stuff! I think they'll keep you :o)

Tropic, you have a nice fair! Our's is on hilly and flat ground. The bands, old cars, old putt putt motors and more buildings are up! We are going to ride the skylift up and work our way down before we get too tired to climb everywhere. There are a lot of buildings to go in, and the midway with the rides aren't as big as I remember when I was a kid, LOL! It's a long day no mattr how long you stay. It takes us about 3 hours to get there. We bought our tickets at the bank for $7.00. That's for one day. I don't think I could stand not having rain at least every two weeks. I enjoy cloudy, sunny or wet. It all gives me something different to do. Goodenias are neat little flowers!

Yesterday was stuffy, but not too bad. I mowed and cut back flowers. I spread them across the road in the grass to see if I can get them started. I scattered Rudbeckias and Tall American Bellflower I got from the roadside in the first place.

Angelwing on Joe Pye Weed

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #8014971

Nice photos, everyone!
Sunfarm: does that beetle do a lot of damage to the elm trees?
Tropic: it will be interesting to see the different kinds of flowers in your area. I have never heard of a Goodenia, much less seen one! LOL
BP: pretty angelwing
Ric: glad the first day back at work went well--good luck with the 2nd day! :o))

I've been at my DD's for a few days--heading back home this morning.
I got some pics of a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly in her back yard on Saturday evening. I went to the Butterflies and Moths of North America website to get an ID on it and discovered that this butterfly has not been documented as having been seen in the county where my daughter lives. I got in touch with the BAMONA coordinator for Arkansas and emailed her a couple of pics. She gave me the positive ID of a Tiger Swallowtail and she is going to send my pics to BAMONA. They will then document the Tiger as having been seen in this county, but they are working on their website right now so it might be a while before they add my photographs.

Weather today for Harrison, AR where my daughter lives:
# Today: A good deal of sunshine. Near record high temperatures. High near 100F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 77F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8015017

Mau, I have no idea how destructive those beetles are; I've never noticed one before. The bright color just caught my eye. BP is the "angelwing" the same as a "question mark?" You picture looks like what I have been calling by the latter name.

Ric, glad to hear your return to work went so well. My DH left a job in 1999 for what looked like a great opportunity with a brand new company, but it turned out to be a nightmare. In 2007 they laid him off, and the place closed a few months later. He always insisted you can't go back, but his old employer took him back gratefully. For once in his life he was wrong! At least his 6 months out of work gave us a glimpse of what retirement might be like-- actually better than we had expected and not all the commuting time and costs he has again.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8015036

Still 73* and we have 1 & 2/10'' rain.

Marsue, what a neat story and a gorgeous picture!! Wow, did you go from hot to hotter? LOL!

Sunfarm, yes it is. I posted a larger one last year and never got to see it's colors. I was suprised to see how beautiful they are. These are the only two years I've ever seen them. If you have a good guy, or gal, retirement goes pretty smoothly. Keep a room between you and them occasionally so you have a sense of privacy :o) I'm glad your husband had a happy ending.

Here is a side view of the Comma/Question Mark

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8015402

80.4 F with 94 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 57 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Pollen: 6.10 out of 12
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Scattered Clouds 16000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

I think this seagull has only one leg.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8015472

Celia, I think you're right!

Remember when we were talking about how to make it rain? I did wash windows inside and out a couple of days ago. SEE! It worked !

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #8015482

We just have to water everything and it rains.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #8015509

:o) Someone wants a big juicy bug for dinner!

In the peach tree, but not a peach

Little Turtle Dove

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #8015550

Very high dew point today.
80 ?
No wind.
Feels like 120!

Market should be lots of fun! Add 20 for the asphalt.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8015564

Bernie, good to know you're doing well. Sorry about the hot.

BP, nice to see your doves have laser sights.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #8016059

Got hit up to 102 today and heat index is 106 I feel like living in southern California few years ago...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #8016416

DANGEROUSLY HOT HERE!! The official temp. at the Little Rock airport (Adams Field) was 105 at 5 p.m. The high temp this afternoon was 107F. that's the air temp--not the heat index, soooo----
No, BP in spite of the forecast for Harrison which I posted above, I did not go from hot to hotter in going from here to there. I went from hot to hotter when I came back home this morning! :o((

The time/temp sign at the high school here in Cabot said the temp was 113F when I went to the grocery store this afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Folks, that is HOT!!! Watering everything down here hasn't produced any rain, either, nor washing windows, unfortunately!!!!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8016497

Oh! Mau! That's terrible! Please stay inside! OK! This gimpy person is going to do one heck of a rain dance! Geez! And I thought that 93 was bad! I'll not complain anymore! :-O
I hope everybody can stay cool...Safe!

Great Bird Shots! :D Sally, you're getting to be as good as Celia! :D

Don! Happy Birthday!

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8016592

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DON!! I almost missed it! Hope you have had a great day.

Since Bernie and a couple of you others don't visit us over at "the other place" I will post some photos here which I took along the highway on my trip home from my DD's today. Most of these were taken through the windshield so please forgive the bug "splats". :o~

This is one of my favorite spots along hwy 65N just north of Marshall, AR.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8016597

This is the Standridge ranch about 10 miles north of Clinton, AR. The house you see in this photo is on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. You can tell from the color of the grass how dry it has been here this summer--not to mention HOT!!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8016598

These are some of the outbuildings on the Standridge ranch--just below the "big house".
Whoops, I forgot the photo and didn't notice until I had posted my series of photos. LOL Sorry about that!

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 6:48 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8016607

If you want to buy antiques, this is the place to do it. It is in Botkinburg, AR. This is just one of about 5 or 6 buildings that they have which are stuffed full of gorgeous and expensive antiques. These people buy antiques from all over the U.S. and even the world. I was trying to get a photo of their big sign but there was traffic behind me and I was lucky to get this shot but the sign would be just to the right out of view.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8016615

This site keeps me busy enough. Too bad Dave broke up this good group with that other site.
91 was the high at the market. Did have a bit of breeze.
Market was brisk again.

Home now & did a bit of shop work. We are taking a coup;e of cabinets & installing them in the morning.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8016619

This is going down the hill into Clinton, AR. I stopped at the McDonald's there to get some breakfast only to find out that the entire town was out of water due to a broken pump!! They had been out for 2 days and weren't expected to have their city water restored until Wednesday. The city was having to haul water in from other places for their citizens. I imagine every bit of bottled water that was available in the area had already been sold!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8016625

I know what you mean, Bernie. Keeping up with both sites is a chore at times!

This is another farm about 20 miles south of Clinton. This one is on Gravesville Cutoff road right after you turn off Hwy 65 just south of Bee Branch, AR. (Don't you just love the names of our little towns--Botkinburg, Bee Branch, etc.)

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8016627

and one more--this is just before you come into Quitman, AR

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8016635

This is the photo of the outbuildings at the Standridge ranch which I forgot to post above.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8016662

Very hot today with a high of at least 100. Temp right now is around 95. Will only get down to mid to high 80s for lows.

Hitting end of bloom cycle is rudibeckia and coneflower with moon carrot in background and a coreoptis bloom in under the rudibeckias and coneflowers.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8016789

Settling in at work.
Once I get my sleep patterns back down it should go well.

We shipped 3 wind turbine gear boxes today.
14,000 pounds each.
I ran the crane and moved them through the plant.
I still have 'the touch' lol!
Our other shipping guy loaded them w/ the forklift.
I haven't 'checked out' on that one yet.
It will take a few weeks.
Once I get comfortable w/ it I'll do all the loading and unloading.

Did the HR stuff at our main plant this afternoon.
The Company President stopped in and Welcomed me back.
It took me being gone for him to realize what all I'd been doing...lol!

Mau take Care in that heat!!!!!!!
Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #8016957

Don't worry, Ric. The most I am outside these days is just long enough to take Friday out to do his "business".

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #8017339

72F Feels Like: 72
High 84
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 70
Pressure: 29.89 in
Visibility: 7.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 4 min
Through 12 pm: A few scattered showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 80s. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Rainfall 0.65 in (est.)

Remember when I said if you wash the screens you get wind? We had one heck of a thunder boomer come thru last night. I got up at 3:00 am just to watch the lightning flash after the weather radio said it was coming. The wind came in from the southwest, so it caught windows on both sides! After I went back to bed we had three crashes overhead. I just prayed no-one in town was going to have a house fire.

Bernie, I was walking across the road the other day and I noticed how much heat comes off our chip/seal. I was glad to get back on the cool grass. I can absolutely feel your heat! (Invest in colorful runner rugs to go the length of your tables :o) It is hard to keep up in both places, and not repeat news. I guess an afternoon weather report can go over there :o)

Celia, ROTFL! (DH took that picture.)

Rusty, that is hot! We haven't broken the mid 90's yet.

Oh Marsue, that is very hot!! You sure did come home to hotter!!

Joey, thanks, I love it when the flowers wink or wave. Love the color too!

Don knows I didn't miss his Birthday!

Mau, you got very lovely shots of the scenery! It's nice to see wide open spaces when it seems the world is filling up with cities. You're pretty good at taking them from moving vehicles too :o)

Pepper, we're having to sleep with the fan on most nights. Aren't Coneflowers sad when they fade? On a brighter note, the goldfinches have been hitting mine for a while now.

Ric, it sounds like you never left, and that's a good thing! Keep shipping out those turbines!

DH took this picture too. I love how the wings look like stained glass.

Thumbnail by billyporter

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 4, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #8017350

Started off today with a minimum this morning of 18.1C (64.6F). Maximum this afternoon was 30.7C (87.3F). temperatures are dropping with a low pressure blocking a high pressure to our south. It's creating a 'wind-tunnel' effect and channelling cold air this way. I'll be glad when this Antarctic blast finishes. But late afternoon the wind completely died and it's been dead still ever since. I've a horrible feeling it's going to be difficult to get out of bed in the morning.

Okay, next thing, finally got all the stats worked out for month of July (our coldest winter month) at my house.

TEMPERATURE:
Highest maximum 35.6C (96.1F)
Lowest maximum 30.0C (86.0F)
Average Maximum 33.5C (92.3F)

Lowest minimum 15.9C (60.6F)
Highest Minimum 25.9C (78.6F)
Average minimum 20.5C (68.9F)

Average temp. for month 26.3C (79.3F)

Highest heat index (day) 40.2C (104.4F)
Lowest heat index (night) 16.3C (61.3F)
Average heat index 27.2C (81.0F)

HUMIDITY
Highest maximum daily humidity 99%
Average maximum daily humidity 85%

Lowest minimum daily humidity 25%
Average minimum daily humidity 39%
Average humidity for month 63%

Total rain for month 6.2mm (0.24 inches)

Cool Degree days 246.1
Heat Degree Days 0.8

I'll add another Goodenia photo, we have so many different species. But I like the butterfly and bird photos others have been showing. I'll drag out some of mine out later too.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8017487

NOAA weather:

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 103. Southwest wind between 9 and 13 mph.

Well, all of my tomatoes plant dried up and I still have peaches not ripe yet!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 8:42 AM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 8:43 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8017503

BP: not only am I the one who is taking the pictures but I'm doing the driving, too. (Don't tell anybody I admitted to that.) It is a wonder I am able to get any photos at all on my road trips! :o~~
Tropic: it is hard to realize that your winter low temp is 86F. I can't imagine what summer is like for you! The goodenia is a pretty flower--sort of like an orchid.

# Today: A good deal of sunshine. Very hot. --I'LL REPEAT THAT: VERY HOT!!!--Heat index near 115F. --IS THAT HOT OR WHAT?!!-- High 104F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Some passing clouds. Humid. Low 79F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #8017505

Rusty, we crossed. It is hot all over the mid-west to the mid-south, isn't it?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8017512

Yup! I watch early ABC news showing (3 am) west part get hotter then to east part too!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #8017688

Just back from monthly grocery shopping and it was already 86 by 10AM, and very humid. I shall stay in the rest of the day since the area is under an extreme heat advisory. This may be the hottest day of the year to date, but we may get some relief (but not much) with thunderstorms starting this afternoon and going through tomorrow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8018291

Well I JUST got outta Dodge in time.
Lights flickered at work as we were walking out.
As I got on the HWY it was coal black behind me and hailing.
Drove out of it into some serious gusts.
We almost couldn't see for all the leaved blowing around.

I'm 10 miles south. Sunny 98 H.I. 110 AT 4pm.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 4, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8018652

Very hot and humid here too. A bit cloudy and a slight breeze in the evening.
Everyone take care!
Our neighbor found these snake eggs.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8018662

Ewwww!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8018871

Had a cool front come thru today so it's a bit cooler out. Temps in the mid 80s with heat index in low 90s. Humidity is around 72% but it doesn't feel too bad out. Temps will go up again though starting tomorrow.

Toothache plants blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8019019

We still have a shot at rain in a few hours.
The high today was 98 and tied the record from 2002.
Tomorrow's high 86!!!! Low 67.
Looks like comfortable weekend temps.

Still lots to do at work so the days are going fairly fast.
Not as fast as Gardening but...LOL!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #8019472

We had some rain earlier in the day and, then this evening, more rain. It was a nice hard rain that dropped lots of water. Now, we won't have to water until the weekend.

What's wrong with this picture? Well...the CAR, not the actual picture.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #8019625

LOL!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #8019667

69F Feels Like 69 High 86
Wind: NW at 12 mph
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 66
Pressure: 29.90 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 15 min
Through 12 pm: Sunny with temperatures warming into the low to middle 80s. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tropic, your weather doesn't sound so extreme all written out. I look forward to your bird and butterflies!

Rusty, if it's any consolation, our tomatoes have no flavor, and it takes our peaches forever to ripen.

Marsue, you and Kelli have a talent there, driving and clicking! LOL! I hope you survived yesterday's heat!

Sunfarm, ditto on the heat!

Ric, that sounds scary!! I was thinking of the weather you would be driving in since you went back to work, but I was thinking more of the snow and ice.

Wow Adina! What kind of snake? Does anyone know?

Joey, ROTFL!!

Pepper, I think your cool front yesterday, will be mine later today. I hope!

Celia, I don't have a clue :o)

I spent all day in yesterday. It was so wet in the yard and garden, that there really wasn't anything to do. The mosquitos were just enough to make you mad. Today begins the Grandkid weekend.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8019736

The official temp was 96, with heat index of 109 yesterday. Hottest in nearly 3 years. Too much for me!
That picture of the Caddy must have been printed by the offset method.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #8019792

Pepper: that looks like a rose to me. LOL
Ric: I saw on the news this morning that the wind you experienced took the roof off a building somewhere in Ohio (can't remember where they said) and killed some folks?
Adina: snake eggs!!! What did they do with them?
Celia: the back end is off-center?
BP: your weekend is starting early!! :o))
Sunfarm: the weather guys say we can thank a stalled front for keeping the high temps here in the south rather than letting them move on over to the east. GRRRRRR!

# Today: Sun and clouds mixed. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Heat index near 110F. High 102F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Variable clouds with scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly late. Humid. Low near 75F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

I snapped this photo last week. Is this a Pearl Crescent?

Thumbnail by marsue

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 5, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #8019872

Last night the air became icy as the sun went down. By 10:00 pm temperature was down to 16.2C (61.2F). But then it went up again, getting just over 21C (69.8F) through the middle of the night. After 3:30 am it was on a downward slide again, reaching the overnight minimum of 15.4C (59.7F) at 7:40 am. This afternoon the maximum reached 33.6C (92.5F).

The south easterly air flow has warmed up from yesterday. Tonight here it hasn't got that icy chill that last night had, but it still feels quite cool. 9:00 pm it was down to 20.6C (69.1F). So another cold morning ahead, but hopefully that'll be the last. I'm hoping that the next line up of highs and lows don't bring about a repetition.

Billyporter, in the tropics, especially nearer the equator temperatures don't vary much. Our lowest maximum temperatures occur during summer. Highest maximums are during spring. Coldest nights are during winter. Hottest nights are late spring and summer.

Marsue, the 86F was the lowest maximum this July. The lowest temperature was 60.5F.

Cressida cressida, "Big Greasy". The fore wings are opaque, a bit like grease proof paper. It's a papilionid found across tropical northern Australia. It's hovering over a Premna acuminata. Fairly inconspicuous flowers but very attractive to butterflies.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8019943

I can always count on my friends here (and 'other' places) to give me a laugh and an education. Thanks, everyone! ^_^

90 today. That's cooler than it's been in awhile. There is a wonderful breeze coming through the windows.

Just before sunrise this morning at Casa Santiago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #8019971

Betty Boop is going strong.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8019978

I'm always amazed how the birds blend with the surroundings, even when they're man-made.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8020234

Tropic: that is a beautiful butterfly! Over here in my state we have a plant called the Red Dragon Persicaria that has tiny flowers which also attract the pollinators.
Celia:; great photos! Pretty sunrise. You have your windows open at 90F? Betty Boop is looking good, indeed! The robin does blend in, doesn't it?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8020601

Mau, my windows open in May and stay open until October! LOL I can't stand the stuffy feeling. Even with the evaporative cooler on, they stay partially open.

Anyone recognize this type of squash? One of Darrell's buddy gave us the plant and he doesn't know what it is, either. He's never grown anything that looks like it. We're going to try it tonight.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #8020687

How large is it? If it's big, it could be a cushaw.

The faint stripes make me think it might be a butternut cross where someone saved seeds last year from squash where 2 or more var. grew close together.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #8021170

I will vote with Darius on the squash. We have had some interesting things pop up, including some pure white acorn squash last year that were delicious and very smooth in texture-- almost like mashed potatoes. The "white" acorns in the supermarket were creamy yellow by comparison. I saved seeds but have not planted them this year.

FYI, Mau, pearl crescents are quite small--about 1-1.5" wingspan. We have loads of them here. Here's a picture of two.

I can't believe we did not get any rain!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8021308

The building damaged was in Croton, OH about 120 miles N/E of us.
A chicken factory collapsed. 2 men were killed, many others injured.

90 again here today.
BBL
Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #8021377

Thanks Mau for telling me what pic I posted. LOL. It must have changed without me knowing.

Well, tonight has been kinda crazy here. My phone fell out of my back pocket into the toilet earlier today and I didn't realize it til I flushed it. Luckily it got stuck in the toilet so we were able to dig it out AFTER taking apart a section of pipe and flushing and AFTER unhooking the toilet. LOL. But the bad thing is it may have water damage. I'm hoping we can get ahold of the phone company tomorrow and see if they will work with us since it's a new phone.

Finally, the weather: Cooler than yesterday but still pretty warm. High 80s, slight breeze and mostly sunny.

Ok, the pic here better be my toothache plants!! LOL. The pic lasat night is Don Juan in front and Blushing Knockout in the back.

Thumbnail by pepper23

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #8021391

pepper... you need to read this ASAP!

How to Save Your Wet Cellphone: Tech Clinic
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8021421

Thanks!! We did some of that so hopefully it works. I printed it off so we would have the info on hand.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8021545

My phone did that once. It didn't go through nearly as much as your's but it was pretty bad. I yanked the battery and SIM immediately and used a towel to gather all the moisture I could, then I switched to a paper towel. I left it off for 3 days before putting the battery back, squinting my eyes and hoping for the best. It worked and so did the phone for another year and a half.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 6:03 AM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #8021966

76 Heavy rain w/thunder and lightning yesterday the gauge stands at 2 & 4/10 in.

Details for Friday, August 06
Sun and clouds mixed. Hot. High 92F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Some clouds. Low 66F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8022048

Pepper: I have never seen a "toothache plant" before. Now I know why they call them that! Ouch! LOL
Darius: thanks for that link about how to dry out a cell phone. I'll be prepared if that ever happens to my phone.
Dyson: Hey! you got some rain in the new guage!

waving to the rest of you ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooler today if you can call the low 90's "cooler" LOL but, hey, it beats 105F!! By Tuesday they are saying we will be back up to 100F. We got another short rain shower last night around 10 p.m. It is still overcast out there which is a welcome relief from the intense heat we have had lately!
# Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Humid. High 91F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening. Skies will become partly cloudy after midnight. Low 71F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #8022128

Foggy this morning, but the low was below 70 for the first time in several days. The humidity is supposed to be more tolerable for the next couple of days, even though temps will climb back into the 90s by Sunday. I'll take it.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 6, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8023712

The temperature has plummeted here, the coldest morning since early winter, a couple of months ago. It got down to 12.6C (54.7F) at about 4:00 am but back up to 18.0C (64.4F) just before dawn. Yesterday's maximum was 33.5C (92.3F)

My phone line is down now (and internet), using a friends computer for this. You never realise how much you're dependent on this modern technology until it goes down. So no photos for this post.

Tomorrow I head down south to Alice Springs for a few week. Since I'll be travelling around most of the time there won't be much chance to get online any way. Hope to get some good photos, they've had unseasonal rain and they say the desert is a blaze of wildflowers.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8023849

Tropic it's fun to see the pictures from down there.

Funny to hear of 'Antarctic Blasts'...
Hard to imagine being that close to SE Asia and still getting those...

Our weather broke finally.
No rain but we will be seeing lows in the low 60's maybe even the 50's.
Highs though will still be 90 or above.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #8024215

Tropic, we're going to miss you while you're gone. I've been enjoying your tales and pics.

I baked those squash in butter and we had them with dinner tonight. They were delicious!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #8024415

68F Feels Like: 68 High 86
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 63
Pressure: 29.94 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 18 min
Through 11 am: Rain showers developing by mid-morning. Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 70s. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 55%.

Keeping busy with the boys. We got the oldest a bike with training wheels. Poor kid had sand roads at the farm. He's really enjoying a new found freedom riding with Grandpa all over town. I walk with the youngest on his small bike. We all are geting "good exercise,'' as the oldest says with enthusiasm!

Marsue, not a cresent nor a painted lady, but haven't figured it out yet. I hope someone does!

Tropic, your butterfly is beautiful!!

Celia, lovely sunrise! It's nice to see the colors again in the morning! Betty Boop is looking good! I love that about the robin, in your picture!

Peper, nice little toothache, LOL!

Dyson, I love it that you're finally getting rain. I hope it's having a chance to soak in.

Tropic, losing power never lets me forget how dependent we are! I look forward to all the new photos of your area!! Have a good time!!

Ric, the cool mornings make me sleep in :o)

Celia, I found four of my squash rotted on the bottom. Maybe no squash at all for me :o(

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8024422

Cool here this morning--down to 61 for the first time in almost a month. Here's the red-spotted purple that followed me inside yesterday.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #8024540

Wondering who actually owned the Mountain I wanted to hike - I did some research on the counties GIS site -

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #8024543

And

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8024545

So then I checked the states DCR site and found -

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8024550

The welcome note -

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8024554

And the Rules -

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8024561

Since this is an established trail system - guess I am going hiking tomorrow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8024575

Sounds like the rules at most parks and reserves here.
Glad to hear it's locked up and it appears will never be developed.

Cool here and 60 when I got up.
Looks like low 60's and high 90's for the week.

Well as it's my first 'weekend off' in 15 months we're doing NOTHING!
Well OK we will be puttering around but no Projects...LOL!

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #8024592

OOOOps forgot the weather - currently 78 - had a short shower yesterday - gauge is at 2 & 6/10 in.

Details for Saturday, August 07
Plentiful sunshine. High 89F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Mainly clear skies. Low 66F. Winds light and variable.

Link to Land scope

http://www.landscope.org/map/?title=

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 10:01 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8025103

Tropic: have a good vacation--we'll look forward to your photos!
Ric: hope you are enjoying your first week-end off! LOL
Sunfarm: nice butterfly pic.
Celia: glad you enjoyed the squash--sounds yummy!
BP: sorry about your squash :-(( Have a good week-end with the boys!
Dyson: hope you enjoyed your hike and that the temp wasn't too high.

# Today: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. High near 95F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. A few clouds. Low 73F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
No rain here today. I will need to get outside and mow the lawn later this evening.

I took some pics of my new shade garden this morning. It is doing well in spite of the heat and lack of rain but then I have been watering it regularly.
This is a "before" pic taken last fall.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #8025110

This is approximately the same view, taken today.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #8025521

Hot but in the shade it's not too bad.

My phone survived the toilet. It's working fine I just need to get the screen cover removed so the screen can dry out.

Went and saw Brooks and Dunn last night. We were in nosebleed way up in the top section of the arena but it was still a decent spot considering where we were. LOL. It was a great show and we enjoyed it. Gary Allan is touring with them too and I hope to go see him again. He was pretty good.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 7, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #8025648

Well, we headed off for market this morning. Lightning in the western sky. We got all set up & then it started sprinkling. Then it rained harder & harder. Kept it up until about 9:30. Quit raining & soon sun was out. We were so busy then we could hardly keep up. Still sold close to what we did last week.
Got home rain gauge showed 6 tenths, so it was nice rain & we can always use it.

Trying to find a nice used pickup. Had one lined up to look at, then the owner disclosed the rust & dents. So am not going to look.
A dealer about 120 miles from here has a real nice one shown online. I will check it out on Monday.

Ric, really happy to see you are back to work. How come these companies can't see the value in an employee.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #8025684

Bernie their first order of business was to keep the true machinists.
And I can see their point. They were afraid of loosing them.
Course w/ the economy tanking around here that wasn't an issue.

But for some reason they forgot support when things started picking up.
They realize now, well our Plant Manager did, that I actually save them money.
I get materials to the work stations before it's needed, so no down time, and people don't need to be pulled off billable projects.
Some of my work can be billed to jobs, so it offsets the extra amount they are paying me over the last guy who just half cleaned at best.
If I offset it enough he'll push for more money.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8025919

Hi guys! Here are some pics from my garden. Still very hot here.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #8025923

Hollyhock

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #8025924

Portulaca

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8025927

Hosta is blooming !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #8025930

This is a baby palm I brought from Switzerland and he is doing just fine!!!!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #8025933

Sunset at my place.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #8025935

A cloud at sunset.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #8025938

Buck says Hi!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #8025939

Closer!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 7, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8025941

Do you think these could be Magnolia grandiflora seeds?

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #8026132

72F Feels Like: 72 High 92
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 69
Pressure: 29.84 in
Visibility: 6.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 50 min
Through 11am: Some increase in clouds with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 70s. Partly cloudy. Hot and humid. High 92F.
Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Sunfarm, what a cool picture of your new house pet :o) They are such a pretty butterfly!

Dyson, I'm glad you will finally be able to hike. It sounds like a really neat place and we expect a lot of pictures. Is Sue going with you? Glad to see you are still getting some rain. Col! I bookmarked your link. Sadly I see nothing in Iowa.

Ric, I'll bet you were ready for that weekend anyway!

Marsue, your shade garden is lovely! I like filling in a new bed! I just love the little boots in front!

Pepper, I'm glad your phone survived. Poor thing! I'm glad you had a good concert despite the height :o) Fresh new Zinnia!

Bernie, I'm glad no one is tired of going to Market yet and that was anice rain!

Ric, we all know what an asset you are! I'll bet your Boss was very happy to be able to call you back!

Adina, lovely flower pictures, but when I saw the baby palm I really had to smile! Maybe it will be able to grace a new home if you are able to sell and buy a new one!

Hi Buck! You are a handsome guy! Hmmm on the seeds :o)

Yesterday was gorgeous!! We took the boys to the Swinging Bridge in Columbus Junction and they loved it! Then we went to a park and ate at Dairy Queen. It was a good day! After we got home it was bike riding time. We were barely here and the Tv was barely on!

Braving the bridge :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8026212

Adina, beautiful pictures, as usual.
I found another "friend" on the outside of the house yesterday and have a partial identification on the bug ID forum already. Here's a picture of an underwing moth.
Weather was great here yesterday, though I think I got a few chiggers when I went to the blackberry patch. 60 degree low this morning, with high still in the 80s forecast, though heat and humidity will climb back to uncomfortable levels by tomorrow.
Mau, your shade garden is filling in well. I need to do something with the shady area where the old "meathouse" was torn down. It is visible from the kitchen window, so I'd like to have something attractive there.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #8026387

Pepper: glad you enjoyed the Brooks and Dunn show. Pretty flower--looks like a zinnia.
Bernie: glad you had another good day at the market in spite of the rain. Hope you find a good pickup truck! (at a good price).
Ric: it's nice when one's employer learns to appreciate good employees! :o)) Good luck with the raise!
Adina: love your photos, especially the pretty flowers. Is that blue one a morning glory? Say "Hi" to Buck. :o))
BP: sounds like a good time was had by all. Topping it off at Dairy Queen was a good way to end the trip! Was the swinging bridge scary for the boys? LOL
Sunfarm: I am looking forward to my shade plants getting bigger next season. I have a lot of hostas that are growing nicely in there but they are still somewhat small. I had a petasite but something has happened to it--the poor thing has died and I don't know why. I also have one EE that seems to have died. It can't be from lack of moisture because I have been keeping that bed well watered. Maybe I have watered them too much! :o(( Nice moth photo. Let us know when you find out what it is.
By the way, if you can find some Flowers of Sulphur at your local pharmacy (it comes in powder form) try rubbing some of it around your ankles and on the other parts of your body where your clothing fits tightly. That should keep the crawling critters off of you.

We had a nice shower this morning starting about 6:;30 a.m. and lasting for about 45 minutes. :o)) Hopefully, I won't have to water any this week!
# Today: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Humid. Heat index near 110F. High 96F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Humid. Low 76F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

I took this photo this morning. It was raining and yet the sun was still shining behind the big oak tree. It started raining harder right after I took this pic and the clouds closed in and obscured the sun.

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #8026556

78 Have not checked the gauge - should be no change

Details for Sunday, August 08
A mix of clouds and sun. High 88F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Low 68F. Winds light and variable.

Still have not made the hike - ended up doing a network job yesterday, profitable, but I am very tired. Maybe next Friday will be in better shape for it. I will remember the camera.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #8026776

I am way, way, way behind, though I have been seeing most of you at the other web site. As always, Pepper and Adina have great flowers!

We have fairs all over the place (time-wise), probably because the summer is long and can be awful hot in some places. We went to the San Diego County Fair in June. The Orange County Fair was in July, though we didn't go this year. The Ventura County Fair is going on now and we hope to go this week. The L.A. County Fair is in September. We haven't gone to that one in a long time because the entrance fee has gotten a bit steep ($17, plus parking, plus you gotta eat), but it is $12 on weekdays, so we might go if we can work that out. They say that it is the biggest county fair in the U.S., but they base bigness on the number of people attending, not the area or number of exhibits. The Riverside County Fair is in February. It's out in the desert. We went once in conjunction with a longer vacation, but it's a small fair. I think the CA state fair is right around Labor Day. The AZ state fair is in October. We've never been to either of those.

Mau, what it the butterfly place that you reported to? Last year or the year before I found a queen caterpillar in my yard and those are not "supposed" to breed here and I think that someone should know.

It continues to be unseasonably non-infernal. ("Cool" would not be the correct choice of words. It still gets up into the 80s.)

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on August 08, 2010
65 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 53 F

This is the pond at Nicholas Flat. You would call this a farm pond, that is, it isn't natural. Like every square inch of land around here, this used to be a ranch, though I know nothing of its specific history.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8027478

High of 97 with heat index at 108. Winds out of south at 10 mph with gusts up to 18 mph. Now at 97 wih heat index of 105.

I was out at Powell Gardens this afternoon volunteering for the Butterfly Festival. I worked inside the conservatory where we had the butterflys and the humidity was at 100%. Very hot in there today. Found out today too that our newest butterfly there is the Atlas Moth. It hasn't hatched yet but should this week. The cocoons are bigger than my hand!! They came from China and everyone is looking forwards to them hatching.

I go back with my family next Sunday so I will get pictures of the moths themselves. They will all be hatched by then.

More Zinnas blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8027695

Here's what I got in an e-mail from a moth expert I found on Google once I had determined that the moth is an "underwing": My guesses would be either Catocala amestris or Catocala muliercula, primarily based on shape of postmedian line and large, open, pork chop-shaped reniform spot. Sometimes they are difficult to determine even when hind wings are in view.
Thanks for thinking of me. My Kentucky Catocala page is at
http://www..silkmoths.bizland.com/Kentuckycatocala.htm

This guy is way ahead of me! I am amazed at the variety of these creatures. I hope to spot it again as the hind wings are very colorful and should be a key to the identification. If I had known it was hiding such colorful secrets, I might have tried to disturb it to catch a glimpse.

I think today was the best for weather, as we are going to get back into the heat and humidity in the coming days. It was 87, but still low dewpoints.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #8027769

85 yesterday, 92 today and 88 for tomorrow with a chance of thunder showers.

I got one plant on sale at Lowe's today. This mini rose is from the Kordana Series 'Barby'.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 7:12 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #8027776

I also got this. It was not on sale. Anyone want to guess what it is?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #8027960

crocosmia?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #8028134

It is, indeed, Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. I have never seen it offered out here before so I snapped it up.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #8028178

70 too Dark to see the gauge should still be the same.

Details for Monday, August 09
Mostly sunny. Hot. High 93F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy. Low 69F. Winds light and variable.

Off to work.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2010
3:21 AM

Post #8028202

I was going to say a Devilish looking plant but Kelli beat me to it...lol!

65 and clear.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #8028234

73F Feels Like: 73 High 86F
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 72
Pressure: 29.89 in
Visibility: 3.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 34 min Sunrise: 6:08 am
Through 11am: Showers and thunderstorms becoming scattered around 7am. Storms should end around mid-morning. Cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 80s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
A few storms may be severe.
It's Dyson Dark.

I heard thunder in the night and it's a good steady rain now. Occasional lightning and thunder, a nice steady rain. We took the boys home yesterday and I have a house to clean today :o) Yesterday afternoon we were at 80 and had a nice breeze. I opened doors and windows. An hour later it was up to 85 and by 8:00 pm we hit 89. That was unreal!

Sunfarm, he's a pretty, rich brown, moth! Planning a new flower bed is always fun! I hope your moth comes back.

Marsue, I think they're too young to be scared :o) They want to go back! I've never heard of ''Flowers of Sulpher.'' Rain for you! Hooray!! Wow, or is it steam? Neat rain photo :o)

Dyson, maybe your guardian angel says you aren't ready yet and gave you a reason to stay home :o) Glad you made a good profit!

Kelli, it's nice to have the option of going to all those fairs, but if it costs a lot to get in and they have the same old same old, it isn't fun anymore. It's neat that you and Mau have different butterflies to turn in. That's a nice size for a pond and it actually looks natural. I'm glad you're having an unseasonable year :o)

Pepper, your Zinias look so nice! Can't wait to see the Atlas Moth!

Celia, so pretty! I just decided a few mini roses need to go in my new Butterfly bed and the big rose is going to go in the North Peony bed :o) Oh WOW! I've always wanted one, but our zone is pushing it. I'll really enjoy pictures of yours!

Dyson, have a good day at work!

Ric, ditto!

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #8028315

Thanks for the tip on chigger prevention, Mau. I normally spray at least around the ankles when I know I am going to be around the plant beds this time of year, but I had not intended to go there or pick any berries when I was going out briefly.

Celia, your croscomia is pretty. We have one in the front yard. They must be pretty hardy as it comes back each year with no particular attention.

Moth was ID'd as Catacola amestris. I hope to see it again and get a better picture.

Back to the 90s this week with dewpoints in the upper 60s and low 70s, so more time inside for me.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2010

Post #8028446

Kelli: It is Butterflies and Moths of North America.
this is the website:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/
Click on Map Search on the left and then click on your state and go from there
Pepper: pretty zinnias. I have two that came up from self-sown seed from last season. Zinnias seem to thrive in hot weather. :o~
Sunfarm: that link just brought up a long list of websites. Glad you got an ID on the moth.
Celia: pretty little rose and the crocosmia, too. I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and they didn't have much on sale although they should put everything in their garden section at 75% due to the way the plants look. :o(( They did have some good looking hydrangeas for $5.00 but I decided it was too hot to try and plant anything now. I haven't forgotten about that canna you want but it is too hot to be sending anything through the mail just now. I'll wait till fall before I dig it up for you.
BP: the rain was welcome but it does tend to make things rather "steamy"--sort of like walking into a sauna when you step outside. LOL

We're back to HOT and HUMID again today with heat index into the triple digits. I should have mowed my yard on Saturday afternoon when it was a "cool" 89F. LOL I had a phone call that delayed me getting outside and the mowing didn't get done. :o((
# Today: Mostly sunny early with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Humid. Heat index near 110F. High 97F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Humid. Low 76F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

Our county fairs are in Sept. and early Oct. Our state fair is the 2nd week in Oct. and runs for 10 days.
In 1977, I entered my pony tail plant, aka elephant's foot plant, in the county fair, plant division. It took First Premium. I have had that plant for 35 years now. I bought it at Target for 38cents and it was about 3 inches high. Here is a picture of it now. I have no doubt that it would be much bigger now if I had put it in a bigger pot and fertilized it but it is big enough the way it is. I do put the Jobe's plant food spikes in the soil from time-to-time to give it some extra "nutrition". If you look closely to the right of the purple ribbon you can see the "baby" which has sprouted from the "foot".

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 9, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8028493

Sally, what a cool picture of the bridge and the boys! I haven't thought about th epalm like that, but, yes, that would be great! Your weather sounds like ours last night and today.
Mau, thanks! Yes, the blue one is a Ipomoea nil 'Blue Furukin', Japanese MG. Glad you got rain, lovely picture!
Sallysun, that's a beautiful moth! Glad you found the name. I had one in the yard last year and I was so anxious to find out its name too.
Kelli, what a gorgeous pond!
Celia, beautiful pics! I have a few pink rose too.
Pepper, great zinnia!

It's been great last night, it cooled off after a rainstorm, with lots of Ts and Ls...it was pretty scary though! Still hot today, 91F=33C, no wind, sunny.
Today I have some pics with Nicholas. Enjoy!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 9, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #8028505

Mau, I can see the baby! What a beautiful plant!
Another picture of Nicholas.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 9, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8028539

One more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8029934

Very hot today with Excessive Heat Warnings out til Weds evening.

Temp: 97
Heay index: 104
Humidity: 50%
Winds: SSW 12 mph
Gusts: 17mph

Bright Zinna

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8030041

Same here Pep!
Dry as a bone now too.

Mau I love that Pony!
Great Tail!
We have 3 and I love them.
Biggest is about 2 1/2' tall and at least 10 years old.
Lowe's ... $1.79 then.
There was one for sale about the size of yours... FAR more than I could afford.
The arboretum has a mammoth one.
The curator told me to only water when you can push in the bark and it doesn't spring back.

Adina again WONDERFUL SHOTS!

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 9, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8030327

We had heat & humidity, but no wind! Not even a slight breeze.

Got a new, (to us), pickup this afternoon. 1997 Chev Ton. Really good shape & very nice price. Stopped at my friends station for gas. He had a used topper that fit it & what I needed. So that was on there when I left. Paid cash for all things & had a few bucks left, LOL!
I can't understand why people want to be strapped with big monthly payments on a car or truck. I own 2 pickups & a car, paid cash for all of them. Highest was $3500.00. Down payments are higher than that according to the ads on TV.

Our helpers picked a pile of pickles this morning. Nearly 4 bushel of the baby dills are spoken for tomorrow. WOW!
Rain Saturday sure did pop things along with this heat the last few days. It will take both trucks & the trailer to get it all to market.

Better hit the sack, long day tomorrow.
Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #8030722

Light Rain Temperature: 75 Feels Like 75 High 90
Precip: 0.88 in (est.)
Humidity: 91%
Pressure:2 9.96 in
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 34 min
Through 11am: Showers and thunderstorms ending by 8am. Decreasing cloudiness with temperatures steady near the low 80s. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Partly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms, possibly severe. Hot and humid.
Again it's Dyson Dark

Sunfarm, I went back to look at your moth again and realized the bottom half of him is a bat. It could also be a cat's head, but it has the wings. Neat :o) It's nice to know his name!

Marsue, I bookmarked your link. It's a nice one! I hear you on ''should have mowed." Your Elephant's Foot/Ponytail plant is fantastic!! You really kept it in good shape. I don't have a single plant I bought from long ago, and I had to smile over the price. Congratulations on the ribbon and new baby!

Adina, Nicholas can be such a big boy with that smile and then he's a little guy again. Those are cute pictures!! He's keeping that hair too :o)

Pepper, gorgeous color on the zinnia!

Ric, how cool that you also have a bargain P-tail! Interesting about watering a large one.

Bernie, glad you got your truck, and the topper was a great find! You've been lucky to find good vehicles. Wow, that is quite a garden haul!

It got hot yesterday. I mowed and was half in the sun and half out. In the middle of being done, I took a watermelon break. It mowed pretty nice in spite of still being a bit wet in the shade. Then I cleaned and refilled birdbaths and took a few butterfly pictures. The Joe Pye Weed was just fluttering with them!

I love the blue on this Red Admiral

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #8030723

This one is new to me. I haven't identified him yet so feel free to, if you know.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8030761

Good morning BP, It looks like a fritillary of some sort (meadow, maybe). Very nice pictures of both.
Extreme heat advisory here again today. 93 yesterday and only down to 71 this morning.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 10, 2010

Post #8030778

Wow, sunfarm, that's cool. We are at 74 for our low. Feels like steam bath. Raining a little, too.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #8031145

Adina: Nicholas is a happy baby as well as a handsome one--and well-fed,
too! :o))
Pepper: another pretty zinnia
Bernie: great buy on the truck--and the topper! It's always nice to be able to pay cash for things. That's a lot of dills!
Ric: the pony-tail plants are fun to grow. You got a bargain, too! I didn't know that about watering them--I just water mine when the dirt feels dry when I stick my finger into it. It has lived through a great deal of "benign neglect" and seems to be no worse off for it.
BP: glad you enjoyed the BAMONA link. It is a good one, I think. I did get the yard mowed last night. It's a never-ending chore during the growing season, as you well know. Great photos of the butterflies! I don't think we have the red admirals around here--at least I don't recall having seen one.
Sunfarm: your weather sounds like ours but I think we are a few degrees hotter than you are. I would take cooler without complaining. LOL

# Today: Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon hours. Hot and humid. Heat index near 120F. High 99F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms early, becoming mostly clear after midnight. Humid. Low 76F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

Friday with his favorite boy. All I have to do is mention Zachary's name and Friday will run to the front door or the window and look out to see if Zachary has come to visit. He loves to go with me when I pick up Zach and he has a fit when we turn in the driveway of Zach's mom's house. He knows Zachary lives there. It's amazing how much that dog loves that boy!

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8031745

96 - hotter than a pack of excited, sock sucking monkeys. Too hot to do anything other than hide inside with the AC blasting.

Details for Tuesday, August 10 (Evening)
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms this evening, then skies turning partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low 72F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%

Thundering now.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8031924

LOL, Dyson--that's hot!!!

We had a wonderful thundershower this afternoon--lasted about an hour. Hard rain like we haven't had in a long time and the ground soaked it right up! :o))
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8032178

Current temp is 97, feels like 99.
Humidity: 44%
Winds: S 12 mph
Gusts: 17 mph
Cloud cover: 9%

Today's high was 100, heat index of 110
Low tonight to be around 76 with heat index of 86.

Exreme Heat Warnings in effect til Friday evening.

Too dang hot here!! BUT it will go down starting Saturday. Whoo Hoo!!!!

Cleome, Victoria Blue Salvia, and zinnas with Swamp Milkweed 'Cinderella' on left.

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #8032284

Hi everyone! It's so darn difficult to get here anymore since my co-worker was laid off, oh well! It's just been hot hot hot and hot. Last week we had a heat index of 115*, got some cloud cover and RAIN today! Not a lot but every little bit helps, right? It's been so hot here the trees are turning brown, the veggie garden is looking cooked, and it's difficult to keep up with the watering.

We went to Eureka Springs, AR last weekend for a wedding and boy did we have fun! Here's the link to the pics I took

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/EurekaSprings8710?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLYkqiIsb6JkwE#

Adina Nicholas is soooo cute! Look at those cheeks!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8032292

[quote]BP: the rain was [/quote]
In light of current events, do you still want to be called BP? ;-)

[quote] It's amazing how much that dog loves that boy![/quote]
How funny! A dog and his boy. :-)

Today we went to the Ventura County Fair. Four and 1/2 hours was all my feet could handle, but we saw just about all of the exhibits. The only thing I don't like about the VCF is that there are no drinking fountains. We don't go every year, but I'll have to try to remember to bring my own water next time.

The fairgrounds is right at the beach, so it isn't hot there.

West Ventura/Cedar near Ferro Dr., Ventura, California (PWS)
Updated: 5:50 PM PDT on August 10, 2010
64.4 F
Clear
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 58 F
Wind: 9.0 mph from the ENE

Not particularly hot here at home, either.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on August 10, 2010
82 F
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 12 mph from the SSE

Should I feel guilty for hogging the decent weather? Not to worry, we could get fried in September and/or October.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8032322

Kelli we went to a Christmas Party at that fairgrounds.
My BIL's company has it there every year.
That's a HUGE place!
Almost ran over a tire trap on the way out...lol!

Hot Hot and Dry!
Watering about every other day now.
The Brugs are in water pans now.
Can't keep up w/ regular watering.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8032327

Funny, I guess it's all perspective. I think it's kind of on the small side as fairgrounds go. Not absolutely small, but smaller than others we've been to, except Riverside Co.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 5:12 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2010
11:08 PM

Post #8032838

Yes, Kelli. You should feel very, very guilty.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #8032930

70F Feels Like: 70 High 92
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 67
Pressure: 29.91 in
Visibility: 2.6 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 46 min
Through 11am: Decreasing cloudiness with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 80s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Thunderstorms likely, especially this morning. Hot and humid. Chance of rain 80%. It's Dyson Dark.

Yesterday's rain estimate was for the past 24 hours. We had 3/10'' in the guage at sun-up. I woke up this morning to more rain. I don't think I dumped the old out yet :o) Yesterday afternoon we took the jeep out and drove the countryside taking old barn pictures. It was so hot when we got back, that I had to come in. I was too sweaty to sit, write, or take pictures. I also had just enough mosquitos to tip the balance. A shower and shampoo never felt so good!

Sunfarm, you nailed the Meadow Fritillary!

Marsue, I used the link to identify most of my butterfly pictures. It's always nice to get the yard mowed. In spite of all the water grass I have now, mine looks much better than before. I'd like to know where all my lush, emerald green spring grass went. We had plenty of rain and coolish temps most of the summer. So where is it? It's amazing how smart a dog is. Especially to know where someone else lives. How wonderful for Zach and Friday to be such great pals. Your picture warms the heart. Nice rain!!

Dyson, ROTFL! I've never seen monkeys like that, but they must have been around here too!

Pepper, nice color with all the different flowers! All are my favorites.

Chrissy, nice photos! I love the trains and I wanted the statue before I saw your caption, LOL! Gorgeous buildings, neat cabin! Very nice memories!

Kelli, I like BP, I know right away it's me, but I'll answer to either name :o) I have a nice cloth shoulder bag I take to the fair. It holds my camera case, billfold, and this year, water bottles. I rest my arm on it and it's comfortable to wear. No matter how fit you are, when walking, unfamiliar terrain always seems to wear a person out. I found that drinking pop makes me feel full and sick to my stomach so I don't like to have to buy it, and you can only drink so many lemon shakes :o) Not being hot is a bonus! I hope we have cool weather for the Iowa State Fair. ROTFL, guilty? Enjoy what you never seem to have!!!

Celia, ROTFL and love the robin!

This poor guy was found in the driveway. Not sure which Sulfer he is, but I think we got him in the country. All his color is on the outer wings.

(I see daylight)

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8032988

BP I shot my first sulphur picture yesterday. Now I need to ID it precisely. I should not have been out in such hot weather (95) but I could not resist the butterflies.

Foggy and 70s again this morning, with temps starting to climb already. Precipitation probability is creeping up also.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #8033065

Sunfarm, they are hard to get aren't they? They don't like to open thier wings to show if they have any color inside either. If I didn't have a camera in hand, my neighbors would wonder why I ''freeze'' while bent over, or move very very slowly :o)

Years ago, in Kalona, I bought a small illustrated ''Golden Guide'' ''Butterfly and Moths'' book. It's been my best friend. A couple of years ago, at "Barnes and Noble" I bought "Eyewitnes Handbooks" ''Butterflies and Moths.'' You have to know the latin name to find anything, or thumb thru it page by page as I do. It even had Tropic's ''Big Greasy'' butterfly in there :o) I also found a "Princeton Field Guide" of ''Caterpillars of Eastern North America.'' I like it! So many books don't show the caterpillar. It has an index, but I still had to thumb thru it to find the Owlet caterpillar, as I didn't know what it was at all.

This is one I haven't identified yet. I couldn't get close, but I'm sure it was all black and it was small.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #8033247

I had a beat up Luna Moth in my driveway this morning, had to move it or I would have rolled right over it getting my car out of the garage. I just bent down and picked it up and stuck it to the brick wall beside the garage door. It didn't try to fly away or anything, just hung on for the ride!

Nice pics of the butterflies y'all!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8033268

We had a grasshopper in the house yesterday. One of the cats probably brought it in as a snack but didn't finish it. Yuck.

Hot again. 73 now, 90 for later.

My conflowers have Aster Yellows again. (sigh)

This message was edited Aug 11, 2010 11:17 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8033400

So many beautiful butterflies--so little time! LOL
BP; Oh, poor BF in the driveway. I feel guilty every time I "murder" a butterfly when I am driving. There were so many of them on my way to NW. Arkansas last week. I don't think I have ever seen so many butterflies flitting around. They all seemed to be black so must have been the EBST or similar. They were everywhere and, unfortunately, a few of them flew right into the front of my car. *sniff*
Crissy: your photos of Eureka Springs and NW. AR are really good. I love that part of the state and Eureka Springs is such a quaint town! We must have gotten quite a bit more rain than you did yesterday afternoon. We had a really good shower that lasted for about an hour and yet Ed Buchner(Channel 11 weather guy) said it didn't even rain in downtown Little Rock.
Kelli: re: the nice weather---feel guilty--feel very guilty! ROFLOL
(I guess I missed the "current events" about BP's name????)

Hot and humid again today--up to 100F. Supposed to "cool down" to the low 90's early next week.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #8034106

Thunderstorms rolling through - will check the gauge in the morning.

Details for Wednesday, August 11 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, especially during the evening. Humid. Low 73F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%

Thumbnail by Dyson

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8034302

Got a chuckle out of the radar image, Dyson. I am midway between LEX and JKL on the map; all the rain seems to be north of us; not a sprinkle here, though the temp dropped from 95 about the time of that image.
Had another butterfly come into my front porch today. I think it is a tawny emperor. Not a great picture (sorry) but a neat critter.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8034317

BP, look up common sootywing to see if that matches your black butterfly. The tiny white spots made me think it is a duskywing.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8034469

Hot, humid, and raining in some areas. Earlier we got sandwiched between two storms, one north and one south but only got a few drops. It was unnerving at first since I didn't know if they were gonna join forces and cause some major damage but they never did. I wished I got more rain though. I left my hose in one spot for close to 30 min earlier thinking it would run off to other plants. It never did. So now I have to do it again tomorrow on different plants.

Red Twig Dogwood and a ee. It hasn't gotten bigger than that for some reason. But my Heart of the Jungle is almost as tall as my switchgrass. Moody ee's need to grow!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #8034561

75F Hot and humid here and will be right through the weekend. Hopefully a passing thunderstorm will drop some rain. Last summer we were complaining that it was cold and wet. I like this better!

I'm a gazillion posts behind here... :-(

Crissy...shame about the Luna Moth. You don't see many of those!

BP...Nice job on the butterfly photos !

Adina...Nickolas is adorable.

dyson..."hotter than a pack of excited, sock sucking monkeys" Now there's one I've never heard before!

My Heirloom Tomatoes are ripening! Nirvana for a tomato lover like me! Last year I lost them all to Late blight.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8034564

A closer look...I may need some help eating these! Pineapples, Black From Tula's, Violet Jaspers, Dr. Wyches Yellows, Orange Fleshed Purple Smudges, Paul Robesons and others...

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 11, 2010 9:09 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #8034565

A Pineapple tomato. Ain't she pretty!

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #8034884

Oh, my! A peach basket o'plenty! My mouth is watering, EB!!!

90 today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #8034945

Maybe Dyson's Sock Sucking Monkeys can help you eat them e_b...

FINALLY we got about an inch of rain here at home yesterday.
Probably 2" at work... hard to tell when it's horizontal.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #8035033

Fog. Near zero visibility in dense fog. Use extreme caution.
Temperature: 73F Feels Like: 73 High 94F Heat index near 105F
Pressure: 29.86 in
Visibility :0 mi 0.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 28 min
Through 11am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve around late morning. Rapidly decreasing clouds with temperatures warming into the mid to upper 80s. Abundant sunshine. Hot and humid. Winds light and variable.

DH held a flashlight up in the fog. It's almost magical to see the water droplets dance in the light. Farther up the beam it was actually blowing over the roof like a mini rainstorm. Hold a flashlight up any summer night and see the dirt that is always floating thru the air. We are breathing dirt daily. Quit smoking and give your lungs a chance!

Crissy, I had to smile over ''sticking your Luna to the wall'' like it was gum! At least you saved it :o) I haven't seen one here for years, and those we did have, seemed to have hatched with a damaged wing. So sad, they are so neat to see.

Celia, eewwww! Crickets are almost as bad! I hate the Aster Yellows. Wow, super magic camera button! That is beautiful!

Marsue, when I see a butterfly go up over the truck, I hope it went over alive. I hate to murder them too! Imagine that. A weather guy who made a mistake. I'm glad you had a good rain! (I think BP, because we use real names on the other place. I still use some Dave names here when no one signs their real name. I do like BP, but if someone likes to use my real name that's ok too :o)

Dyson, let's be racking up the rain for you! Is it helping your garden or is yours a lost cause like mine? Altho, the eggplant are doing well and the cabbage hasn't split :o)

Sunfarm, he's gorgeous! I did look at some of the sootywings, but they showed them browner, and this one is black.

Pepper, it gets depressing having to water like that. But they are so cute when they are ''babies'' :o)

Early, it's hot and wet here but I'll take that over cold or dry! Thanks, I've been stalking the butterflies and standing real still :o) I've never seen a prettier basket of heirloom tomatoes!! No blight spots or cracks!! I could just pop one of those little ones in my mouth! She's pretty...delicious looking :o)

Ric, ROTFL!! Why do I think we haven't seen the last of these monkeys!! Glad you got rain too!

The fog is lifting a bit. It's grocery day and most likely will be too hot later to do a thing outside. I've been enjoying watermelon and muskmelons :o)

I've been listening to music on Youtube and now I go to bed with songs running thru my head :o) Heroes by David Bowie, Let Me Ride by REO Speedwagon, I'm No Angel by Greg Allman and Angry Eyes by Loggins and Messina.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #8035053

Afternoon thunderstorms missed us again; another excessive heat advisory on for today. We need a break. This tawny emperor came onto my porch to visit yesterday.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #8035711

92 and hot already! We had so many beautiful spider webs on EVERYTHING this morning. Mentally I was taking pictures.

Sunfarm, it's too bad the rain keeps missing you. We've had so much that the plant roots are close to the surface. No rain and they think they're stressed even tho we just got 2''

The neighbor's cat grabbed this guy from under my flowers. I got up to see and he kind of rolled over on it. I picked him up and he didn't have any puncture wounds, but was very quiet. I tried to sit him on a small apple branch and he held on, but started to go over head first. THAT wasn't going to work! We just sat in the andirondack chair till he flew out of my hand on his own.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8035933

Looks like it lost a few feathers and sounds like it was just disoriented for a minute. So glad it's okay.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #8036040

That is one happy little house sparrow. You can almost see the smile on his face.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8036059

Details for Thursday, August 12 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms early, then becoming clear after midnight. Humid. Low 71F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Gauge at 3.5 in still hotter than SSM, supposed to have a cooling trend for the next week - it will be a relief.

Thumbnail by Dyson

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010

Post #8036394

We have had 27 days, so far, of declared Heat Emergency.
This one will last until Sunday.
Last year we had 4.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8036396

HOT AND HOT!!! Relief doesn't come til Saturday.

Picked this one and another one the other day. Cut them up today.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8036399

I don't know how many Heat Warnings we've had here but it's more than I ever remember having.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8036404

It was hot here too, but I did pull weeds in the shade. It's 86* at 8:00 pm. Thank goodness we will be around 80* next week. I'm wanting to get out and pull more weeds so I can displace more mosquitos.

Those SSM's are cracking me up!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #8036407

Pepper, that looks good!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8036579

Still hot here. Mankato heat index was 101 when we pulled in to set up. Light wind from the south helped some.
Cold front coming in tonight. So far brought some nasty storms in some areas.
High tomorrow "only" 85.
We'll see.
Crowd was small today because of the heat, I am sure.
Saturday is supposed to be only 80 for a high. Sounds good.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #8036988

Partly Cloudy
Temperature: 77F Feels Like: 77 High 92F
Details: Locations nearby are reporting thunderstorms. That would be us. We had a shower pop up.
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 73
Pressure: 29.75 in
Visibility :9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 4 min
Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 70s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Some sunshine with a thunderstorm or two possible this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Bernie, this is when you need to sell watermelon. (I travel for one :o) We too are to cool down to the 80's by next week.

I'm still hearing a bit of thunder, but no more rain yet.

My Cardinal Flower really re-seeded these last few years. For years I struggled to keep a few alive and now BOOM!

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 13, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #8036991

We have very poor watermelon this year. Small & late. Still not ripe.

Very dark. Most of the state got heavy rain overnight. Not us. Lots of thunder.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8037072

Bernie, I hope the eggs you are selling are not precooked!
We had 0.03" of rain from an isolated thundershower about suppertime, but that is all the rain we have had this month so far. Another 95 degree day yesterday and expect about the same today and tomorrow. At least the grass growth has slowed down.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8037659

84 Been cloudy all day

Details for Friday, August 13
Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. High 88F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms during the evening. Cloudy skies after midnight. Humid. Low 71F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

X marks the spot (yea the red one)

KUDZU - in MY Garden! Mine! Have to find the guy that rented the sil the bobcat last month - and wrap him in vines, I am not happy. sil = son in law. Dern as if the sock sucking monkeys were not enough.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2010 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by Dyson

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 13, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8038081

On another forum someone was looking for Kudzu seeds!
I saw the stuff in KY. Glad it can't survive here!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8038110

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Aug 13, 3:53 pm CDT

Fair

101 F
(38 C)
Humidity: 34 %
Wind Speed: S 14 G 20 MPH
Barometer: 29.73" (1005.0 mb)
Dewpoint: 68 F (20 C)
Heat Index: 107 F (42 C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

I hopeful it rain tomorrow (maybe) if not then stay inside for rest of my life! lol...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8038131

Rusty - do not stay in forever - who would care 4 your outdoor plants?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8038187

I do my outdoor plants water early am and by the time at 7:30 am it hit up to 80* that I get easy sweat alot...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #8038280

I sicerely hope I never see Kudz here. Bindweed is bad enough along with non native honeysuckle.

Current temp: 98
Mostly Sunny
Heat Index: 103
Humidity: 42%
Winds: S 16mph
Gusts: 23 mph
Cloud Cover: 18%

Today's High: 102
Heat Index: 108

Storms headed our way. Different areas have reported 90 mph winds with some of the storms. We figure at this rate there won't be any trees left if it keeps up.

My 2 Dwarf Willow Bushes. I need to move the laundry hose over to them so they will get some water.

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2010

Post #8038900

I got good rain this early about 3 am today and I don't have to water my outside plants!...
It's now 74*...

The weather is said:

Today: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Heat index values as high as 107. South wind between 8 and 10 mph.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8038902

Helluuu! We've had some rain this week, but ot nearly enough! At the moment it's 75 & rather cloudy. I tried to watch the meteor shower last night...found the big dipper, then the clouds started rolling in ...oh, well.
Our state fair started yesterday...the garden club (Lewisburg) always has a wonderfully huge display. I may have to brave the heat just to get some pics.

Dyson! Kudzu? Oh NO! Now you're gonna have to get a goat or 2! I've been told they'll eat all the 'invasives' & everything else! LOL! Are you taking your hike this week end?
Pepper, Love the Willow! I had no idea there was such a thing as a dwarf! Pretty Neat!
Rusty, Yeah! you get some much needed rain! Gee, and it's cooled down! Now lets hope it stays that way! :D

BBL

Sister Datura is getting ready to open! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8038936

Was going to hike today - then had to use the camera batteries in the remote, then planned to remove kudzu from the garden this morning. awoke to a steady downpour. Looking at the radar it will quit soon if there is any cell movement at all.

Need to get batteries and put them on charge. Hopefully it will stop raining and I'll be able to eradicate the kudzu.

Details for Saturday, August 14
Cloudy this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Humid. High 84F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Evening: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

Thumbnail by Dyson

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8039374

Good luck getting rid of the kudzu; I've noticed it seems to move farther north almost every year. I fought it in Georgia years ago and not it is common is some areas of Kentucky where it never lived before. Goats might be a temporary solution, but it travels underground, so you have to get the roots.
Supposedly it has value as a treatment for alcoholism, though that's the only good thing I have heard about it.

We are still under heat advisories for today at least, though weather should cool slightly next week. 0.01" of rain in the gauge this morning after isolated shower yesterday afternoon just added to the humidity.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #8039532

Stopped raining, still to wet too do anything outside gray, cool.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8039872

Got new batteries, charged them and got the camera working again.

I swear this patch of kudzu doubled in size over night

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8039876

Took about an hour of cutting and digging - pretty sure I got it all in the bag.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8039877

Die Devil Weed!

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #8039883

IMPORTANT Safety note - When igniting your Kudzu use charcoal lighter or kerosene. I used gasoline and singed all the hair off my right arm.

After switching to charcoal lighter and going through a large bottle of same -

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8039885

Both the sites (where it was pulled and where it was burned) will be monitored closely.

72, sunny, clear
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #8039956

Good job, Dyson.

Could get to about 100F tomorrow

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 14, 2010
89 F
Clear
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE

barn built by a Victorian millionaire for his prize race horses

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #8039962

The inside is all panelling. (I wonder what this guy's house was like?)

Thumbnail by Kelli

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8040214

Kelli, some of the barns in the Bluegrass are about as fancy. As a friend of mine used to say, "It's amazing what you can do if your are handy with money."
Line of storms came through about 7:10 and we got 1.22" of rain in about an hour and a half. At least it didn't wash out our driveway. Wish we'd had it distributed over the past couple of weeks.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8040310

De Plane! De Plane!
Well OK that was the house but this is by far our favorite structure in L.A.!
The interior IS amazing and if you run your hands over the wood the workmanship is perfect!

Dyson next time...paper bags and no accelerant ...

We had a nice cooling rain rumble through.
Temps went from 96/107 to a current 76.
It feels wonderful outside!
We're seriously flushing out the house...lol!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8040346

[quote]Well OK that was the house[/quote]
That was merely the guest house, which he built for his fourth wife. He lived up around San Francisco somewhere.

Speaking of favorite buildings in L.A., have you ever been to Gamble House?

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 6:21 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #8040542

It was on our must visit list as Procter & Gamble's base is here in Cincy.
(In fact the 'Dolly Parton' Towers, their corp headquarters, are very much a part of our cityscape.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wintermute23/90711528/
We went to it but didn't take the inside tour as it was closed that day.
Amazing little Winter Home eh?!
Glad to see it's been so lovingly taken care of!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #8040667

Good idea on the paper bag Ric but without the accelerant, it never would have burned!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2010

Post #8040803

70F Feels Like: 70
Breakdown:Humidity:77%
Dew Point:63
Pressure:29.94 in
Visibility:10.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 24 min
Through 12 pm: Sunny with temperatures reaching the upper 70s. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Plenty of sunshine. High 83F.

Bernie, for all the rain, the melons are suprisingly good around here.

Sunfarm, precooked eggs, that's a good one!

Dyson, kudzu is one problem I'm glad I don't have!

Rusty, we've had our share of rain and if I could share I would! Good, you got rain!

Pepper, we were to possibly have winds with our storm and didn't. All because I laid the yard chairs over and put the little tables away. Works every time! Nice little bushes. How big will they get and do they bloom?

Joey, love the Datura picture!

Dyson, it's always something. Look at that nice patch of rain right over you! Look at that nice patch of Kudzu right under you! I hope you did get it all. ROTFL just because you got singed and not hurt! A lesson most learn eventually.

Kelli, fabulous barn! Gorgeous wood! I would move into it myself!

Sunfarm, a good saying! (money)

Ric, we are seriously flushing out the house today. NW wind and 80's, Woo hoo!!

I get to mow today. Friday morning we had rain. Friday evening we had a downpour. Saturday was hot and humid. We did chores three days for DD while they took the boys to the goat show in Nebraska. I rather enjoyed gathering eggs and feeding chickens. DH did the goats and horses.

Result of Thursday morning's fog.

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8040824

I got good T-storm this morning at 1 am that my dog Rusty woke me up shake! It was downpour bad and soak real good on ground but my dogs want go outside no way I straight to back bed!

Wind knock one of my metal shed's door off and some broken branches not much just 3...

Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 90. Heat index values as high as 95. North wind between 8 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #8041302

Quite a line of thunderstorms blew through here after 76PM; dumped more than 1.25" of rain.
Another emperor butterfly on the porch window. I put out some kiwi fruit peels with flesh attached, but it seemed to prefer the dirt on my window.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #8042032

Got a nice amount of rain from the storms the other night. Won't have to water til tomorrow now.

Yesterday was pretty warm but not really hot. LOL. Don't remember exact temps, just the fact that when I went to a friend's farm for a bonfire there was no breeze and it was a bit stifling. But it wasn't real bad.

Today our high was mid 80s and sunny with not a cloud in the sky. My parents and I took my nephew to Powell Gardens to see the bugs. He had fun chasing butterflies and running around in the fountain. We didn't make it very far in the gardens but we're gonna take him back this fall when it cools down some and go to the other side.

The Willow bushes will get about 3 feet around but as far as I know it doesn't bloom. It gets a nice round shape and will look good in that spot when they reach full size.

No new pics yet. Will try to get some this week while it's cool.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #8042033

Got a nice amount of rain from the storms the other night. Won't have to water til tomorrow now.

Yesterday was pretty warm but not really hot. LOL. Don't remember exact temps, just the fact that when I went to a friend's farm for a bonfire there was no breeze and it was a bit stifling. But it wasn't real bad.

Today our high was mid 80s and sunny with not a cloud in the sky. My parents and I took my nephew to Powell Gardens to see the bugs. He had fun chasing butterflies and running around in the fountain. We didn't make it very far in the gardens but we're gonna take him back this fall when it cools down some and go to the other side.

The Willow bushes will get about 3 feet around but as far as I know it doesn't bloom. It gets a nice round shape and will look good in that spot when they reach full size.

No new pics yet. Will try to get some this week while it's cool.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8042073

Rain again this afternoon. Maybe a 1/4".
The 'Cold' front has moved thru.
Temps in the low 80's and 60's for a week at least!!!!!!

Finally!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2010
3:18 AM

Post #8042516

62F Feels Like: 62
Dew Point: 60
Pressure: 30.07 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 24 min
Sunrise: 6:15 am Sunset: 8:03 pm
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 60s. Winds light and variable. High 82F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

Everyone has rain except me. I mowed yesterday, so that' s done. It was warmer than I expected.

I got my flannel shirt on. It made it as far as the top of my dresser from the last chilly spell we had, LOL!

Fall is coming.

Barnswallows

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #8042581

Fall may be coming, but not soon enough for me! Still in the lower 90s yesterday before a midafternoon isolated shower. The temps should ease a bit and humidity is forecast to be more comfortable for a few days.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8042603

I getting cooler today and sure it's coming for early fall...

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Aug 16, 5:53 am CDT

Fair

66 F
(19 C)
Humidity: 90 %
Wind Speed: NE 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.13" (1019.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 63 F (17 C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89. East wind between 5 and 8 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. East wind between 3 and 6 mph.

As yesterday, I got my homemade tomato juices and made 12 freeze pint juice for winter soup... I use food mill to remove the seeds...

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8043037

Thanks for the comments on the Eureka Springs pics!

Our veggie garden is about done, it's been so hot here the leaves on all my plants, veggies and flowers, are sunburned. There was a weak, slow moving cold front that came down from the north, we got some thunder and distant lightning, nothing more. We haven't had a good rain at my house since probably June. Even the goatheads are parched and dying.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #8043062

I was out-of-town all week-end for a conference in Monroe, LA. It was a great week-end but tiring, too. I "slept in" until 7a.m. today--highly unusual for me. I'm behind but I have read all the posts. I will just comment on the kudzu and say :
1. I can't imagine anyone wanting to plant kudzu on purpose
and
2. I never heard that about kudzu being beneficial for alcoholism. The only thing I can think of is that it would strangle the alcoholic while he/she is sleeping and thus cure the alcoholism! LOL
Dyson, I certainly hope you made an end of the kudzu!

We'll be "cooler" for a few days:
# Today: Sunny to partly cloudy. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High around 95F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low around 70F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8043198

Mau, welcome home! Glad you had a good night sleep.What was the conference about?
Dyson, I killed several kudzu plants on the field near my house and I still have one...they wanted to take over my garden while we were away...grrr!
Look what I found about it :

http://www.theresilientearth.com/?q=content/kudzu-causes-global-warming

Still very hot here , no wind, no rain, 95F.
I uploaded on a CD some of the pics I took last month with the new camera, but they were too large to post from my laptop. Finally, I can post them!
Clouds on our street...they would have been great these days!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8043200

My first new potatoes crop.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8043204

Sunflowers...they are all gone now, the crows and sparrows ate all the seeds.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8043207

These were the ones the sparrows seeded themsleves in spring, from the seeds I put them on their bird feeder everyday!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8043211

Here they are!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8043215

Taking what's theirs!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 16, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8043216

Busted!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #8043220

How cute! The finches and sparrows eat the seeds on mine, too. It's fun to watch! LOL

80.4 F with 90 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 80 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Pollen: 7.20 out of 12
Clouds: Few 9500 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Harry LWS.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8043375

LOL! Ha!

Mau glad you had a great time!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8043947

Currently 85 F
Heat Index: 84 F
Humidity: 42%
Winds: E 5 mph
Gusts: 8 mph
Cloud cover: 20%

Today's High: 88 F
Today's Low: 65 F
Heat Index: 91 F
Winds: E 4 mph
Gusts: 11 mph
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2010

Post #8044043

WAY cooler and less humid here today!
In fact at one point the temp was 84 w/ a H.I. of 83!
We should be at 60 by daybreak!!!!!!!!!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8044105

I think you stole our cool front!! It was supposed to be nice down here but it's just normal. LOL!!

Swallowtails eating rotten peaches that I threw out.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8044141

Wow, Adina, that was a very interesting article about the Kudzu! So now it is partially responsible for global warming--imagine that! The conference I attended was about health and healing from a spiritual standpoint. Very informative. Did you know that caffeine has properties similar to morphine? Another good reason to stay away from foods and drink that contain caffeine but I think I will still be drinking my coffee in the morning. I drink half regular and half decaf anyway so I'm not consuming that much caffeine. That's just one of the many things I learned this week-end--also that dark chocolate is actually good for you (in moderation, of course). Wouldn't you know that I don't like dark chocolate--LOL!! Nice shots of the sunflowers and the bird eating the seeds!

It was cooler here today, too. I don't think it got above 90F all day--felt almost fall-like! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8044142

We crossed, Pepper--those swallowtails are going after those peaches!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #8044575

GREAT Shot Pep!!!

62 here!!!!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010

Post #8044682

Ric: I'm jealous! We haven't seen a low of 62F in weeks!

# Today: Partly cloudy. High near 95F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Humid. Low 73F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8044727

At the rate things are going, in another 50 years or so you may be seeing kudzu in Iowa, BP. Here's an interesting link to the NWS website:http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100813_globalstats.html.

This was the first morning in over a week that the maximum temperature here (for the previous afternoon) has been below 90 and the morning temperature in the 60s. The temps were 86/64 on the official instrument I use for my reports to NWS. Fall is not here yet, though. We may see temperatures climb back before the end of the month.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 17, 2010

Post #8044827

MN State Fair begins next Wed, the 25th. It runs 12 days & is always way to hot!
Ends labor day & that signals the beginning of winter!

64 this morning & partly cloudy from the blow off of Iowa storms.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8044996

It was nice last night! 86* with a heat index of... 86*!

Pep why didn't you get the cold front, it came down from the north and it's sitting on the AR/LA state line. They said yesterday that it's going to be moving back up and bringing the humidity back with it! AGH!!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8045166

Fall isn't here yet, either. Temps need to drop to 78 and stay there for the rest of Forever. It would be nicer and a gardening challenge for me.

94 for today.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8045343

I agree!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 17, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #8046033

[quote] I "slept in" until 7a.m. today--highly unusual for me.[/quote]
Man, I wish I was a morning person. It seems so much more honorable. However, getting up early is hard on me.

[quote]Wouldn't you know that I don't like dark chocolate[/quote]
Dark chocolate is quite the craze, but like you, I can't say I'm overly keen on it.

I'm glad it's too dry here for kudzu. We've got enough invasive, non-native things. The grasslands are already irreparably altered. We don't need to do that to the oak and sycamore woodlands, too.

Fall, yeah, maybe in three months.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 17, 2010
97 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 12 mph from the SSE

picture from the cactus show on Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8046112

Cool front finally came thru!! Will only last thru the morning then it gets hot again.

Current temp: 74 F
Heat Index: 72 F
Wind:E 9 mph
Gusts: 9 ph
Cloud cover: 92%

Today's high: 78 F
Today's Low: 65 F
Wind: E 7 mph
Gusts: 14 mph

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8046227

Got the yard mowed tonight. It was like 88F when I went out about 6 p.m. to mow. We are losing daylight here, too. Earlier in the summer I would wait until 7:30 to start mowing and it would still be daylight when I finished about 8:15. Now I have to start earlier. The back yard was almost covered in shade from the house when I finished mowing at 7 p.m. My house faces west.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8046283

Beautiful again today!
BUT mid 90's are coming back in...

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8046383

We've had a slow steady rain for over 2 hours! :D The temp is 75, so it's really nice!

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #8046928

64F Feels Like: 64
Past 24-hr: Precip: 0.48 in (est.)
Dew Point: 62
Pressure: 30.08 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 9 min
Through 11am: Decreasing cloudiness with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 60s. Winds light and variable. Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. High 81F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Dyson Dark and Kiska chilly

Kudzu is downright scarey!!

Rusty, glad you had some tomatoes to put away.

Chrissy, that is depressingly dry :o(

Marsue, sleeping in puts me off schedule all day. Glad you had a good time! The earlier sunset has caught me off guard. All of a sudden it just seems to be night time :o)

Adina, nice pictures! LOL over busted.

Pepper, quickly becoming my favorite butterfly :o) I love the sunlight/ shadow caught on the cosmos and butterfly!

Celia, nice blush on Harry!

Sunfarm, I love the Blackberry lily colors!

Bernie, are you going to the fair?

Kelli, I wish I could burn the candle at both ends and only sleep a couple of hours :o)

Joey, love that color of pink on the bloom!

We got up early, and left early, for the Fair. We got there around 8:30 am. As soon as we parked, it started to rain, so we ducked into the pigeon building to wait for it to quit... It rained the entire time we were there and all the way home. Luckily it was a gentle rain and we didn't get soaked. There were enough buildings to visit and dry off in, and we did. I ate what I went to eat and saw what I went to see. We had a good day in spite of it all and didn't buy any ponchos :o)

I still got up at 5:00 am :o) It's chilly and humid so I only have a couple of doors open.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8046986

Got soaked on my trip to the rain gauge; gotta get out of these wet clothes. 0.83" had been collected since just before 5AM (time according to DH, I did not hear it start). A steady. moderate rain, just what we need. Got my first monarch sighting and pictures yesterday. High was 86 with tolerable humidity.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8047164

It is depressingly dry! this is to the left of the front porch to the driveway.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8047170

My Picasa is not working right, I've been having problems with it for a couple of weeks now, I think it's time I email someone.

This one I'm standing in the same exact spot looking to the right.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8047178

Mexican Petunia's are doing great, they love this heat. I have all these purple blossoms and one pink blossom!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8047194

A close up of the pink one.

Thumbnail by crissyr

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8047327

Beautiful, Crissy!

Time to move on!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1123624/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America