Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hibiscus: Want to serve up a beautiful salad?

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 3, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stevesivek
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8010671

I noticed that DG's word of the week is rosa-sinensis. I read something in DG's definition that is rarely stated or known. The petals are edible. As a collector and part-time hybridizer of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis for many years this is something I practiced all the time. They are a good source of vitamin C. I usually serve them up in a tossed salad. Better yet, if you're entertaining or bringing the salad to a dinner party, line the bowl with petals finishing with the outer edge of petals forming a halo around the edge of the bowl. Makes a great presentation and this simple salad will be the talk of the dinner. The dilemma is that the blooms that are left on the plant will not remain crisp by an evening dinner.

The trick for making the bloom wait until later in the day to open is to pick the buds in the morning before they open. Wrap them in a moist paper towel and put in the crisper of the refrigerator. About 4 hours before they are to be used take them out and set the buds upright in a warm location. A way to do this is by using conical drink or snowcone cups with the tip cut out just large enough to hold the bud upright. Sometimes they may need a little gentle help in opening.

Disclaimer: The plants must not be treated with any pesticides, miticides or any other chemicals not labeled for food source plants. Read the labels before proceeding.

Happy hibiscusing,
Steve

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 12:17 PM
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8027654

Wonderful idea about lining the bowl! I'm definitely going to do that.
Barb

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

August 9, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8029066

Several Hibiscus species and relatives have edible parts, which may be good in salads, teas & other drinks, and cooked vegetables. However some precaution should be taken, especially if taking medication.

This site has details: http://www.hibiscus.org/toeat.php
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8030073

Been a while since I visited that site. I forgot the great info they have on it.
Thanks M!
Barb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America