Photo by Melody

Hibiscus: I wish I knew the names of these Hibisci (pl?)

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 10, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
inaraesgarden
Lakewood, OH

August 1, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8011026

Can someone ID them for me. They aren't fancy but they are spectacular and quite large flowers and very prolific in blooms. Does each bloom only last a day? There are three I have questions about. This is No. 1

Thumbnail by inaraesgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8011136

Could it be 'Turn of the Century'? check out plant files to see if this looks right: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/121605/

and yes on average the beautiful blooms only last a day
inaraesgarden
Lakewood, OH

August 1, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8011229

guamsorbit, I don't think so. The red in the center is much deeper and more delineated.
I mean it has a much sharper border.Thanks. About the one day bloom. I figured it was like that. I have a pile of dead blooms on the ground, but they are amazing, they just keep putting out these enormous flowers.

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8011633

I believe you have a Disco Belle... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/51628/

Beautiful plant. I had one but lost it last year

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 7:44 PM
guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #8011812

I think you might be right Karen... :-)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8015672

Looks like a Luna .. either Pink Swirl (the picture) or Luna Blush.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

inaraesgarden
Lakewood, OH

August 3, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #8017149

Xeramtheum, I think the red color on mine is deeper and the edge of the color sharper. Here is a photo I found of Disco Belle Pink. The only thing is that they say the plant grows to 2 and a half feet, while mine is at about 4 feet. Bu the flower looks so much like mine, I'm inclined to call it a Disco Belle.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8017539

I have a sneaky suspicion that Luna and Disco are the same or one came from the other as a cross. As to color, you cannot really go by pictures. Some cameras "see" colors better and even differently. Digital cameras have the most trouble with the"colder" side of the spectrum.The color range between blue and purple is a good example. Except for very high end cameras, dark purple tend to come out as navy blue. The only true dark purple I've seen from a digital camera is where the camera cost a thousand dollars. I've got three digital cameras. I can take a picture of the exact same flower and when I upload and open there are three different colors and it still isn't true to the actual flower (see picture). Even the exact same brand and model of digital cameras will see colors differently.

Then you have to consider that computer monitors don't translate color the same either. VDT's in my opinion do a better job a seeing true color than LEDs. Unless your monitor as been Gamma Optimized, you won't see true color either and then even with optimization there can be shifts.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 9:05 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #8017552

Now the real interesting bit is that when purples are not solid but surrounded by white, I can get the true purple.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

inaraesgarden
Lakewood, OH

August 4, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8017781

Add to that ...I'm color blind. I really don't trust myself at all on subtle or sometimes even gross color differences. Here's another photo that claims to be Disco Belle Pink.I know that isn't what would be called a red center and it's not well defined like mine. Who knows where that came from?

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8017886

Ina I saw that photo in the Plant Files, and it is incorrect. The true Disco Belle Pink is the swirled pink and white. I agree with Xeratheum, Luna Pink Swirl and Disco Belle Pink are so close as to having virtually no difference...they have to be kinfolks, lol!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America