Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hibiscus: Hardy Hibiscus “Cranberry Punch” (PP15091)

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 0, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Michael_Ronayne
Nutley, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8011810

Attached is the photograph of the Hardy Hibiscus “Cranberry Punch” (PP15091) which just open August 1, 2010. The flower is on a cutting which is under one year of age and has only one stalk which stands 30 inches. The flower is 7” in diameter; the Hibiscus is documented to produce flowers of between 3.5” to 6.0” in diameter so this flower is unusually large. Hibiscus “Cranberry Punch” is characterized as having a height of between about 20 and about 40 inches, with a spread of between about 30 and about 45 inches.

The Plant Patent PP15091 for Hibiscus “Cranberry Punch” can be found here:
http://www.google.com/patents?as_pnum=PP15091

I have two Hibiscus 'Cranberry Punch’ from two different sources so that I can compare their growth. This Hibiscus is from a highly rated eBay seller who specializes in selling healthy young plants at significant discounts on the price and shipping costs because of their small size.. The second Hibiscus 'Cranberry Punch’ is from one of the DG Garden Watchdog Top Ten Sellers. Right now the plant from the eBay seller is growing faster but has only one stem.

I am particularly interested in Hibiscus “Cranberry Punch” because it is one of the few hardy Hibiscus documented to produce extra pedals. If you read Plant Patent PP15091 you will find the following statement:

“Number of petals.—Most of the flowers have five petals, but occasionally a flower may have four, six or seven petals.”

It will take several years for my two Hibiscus to reach their full potential so I don’t expect to see anything interesting this year. I will post pictures if anything develops.

Mike

Thumbnail by Michael_Ronayne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America