Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Handyman: Weed Wackers

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 10, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
delzell
Los Angeles, CA

August 1, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8011888

How do electric weed wackers compare to gas? Having trouble with my gas wacker and considering buying an electric but question the power and have never seen a professional use an electric.
sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #8017112

I used gas for years on a heavily wooded lot. Never considered electric for that location. Even if I had enough cord to get around the entire acre, I would have spent most of my time untangling it from the trees. Much smaller lot at my new house so bought an electric. It's a close 2nd to gas in performance. I also have a rechargeable that I keep on hand for two outlying areas. It's much weaker and only gets about 30 minutes a charge. Luckily it's good enough for those few spots. I don't miss the maintenance on the gas unit. Of course the trade off is jockeying electrical cords. :)

Hope this helps,
~Sharon
daugenet
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8020315

I own a sthil weed eater and i love it. i went for the model that has the easy start associated (so the wife can use it if i go on travel for a while). It cost me more than some other models out there but i have never looked back
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8262553

I have an old electric weedeater that I like because it has a powerful motor and gets the job done. Since the line is hard to deal with (it sometimes breaks off and goes inside and I have to take the thing apart to get it back out) I asked my husband to buy me a new one. The new one is easy to replace the line (pre-wound spools) and the line seldom breaks in a way that causes a problem, but it is gutless. I have to use it on the smaller weeds/grass.

Too bad they don't make one with the good motor that has the easy to remove spools of line...

I don't mind the electrical cord - just learn to work around it. After weedeating, I just plug in the leaf blower and clean up the driveway and sidewalks.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #8262720

I have only electric everything.
Lawnmower, weed whacker, leaf blower and leaf vacuum.
My whacker is very powerful. It's a Briggs I think.
My reasoning on these machine purchases is get next to the most expensive. They work better and last a long time. I also get extended warranties.
Cheap models just work the pee-waddin out of me.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #8264324

Well I will be looking for a Briggs next time I need a weed wacker. My husband has a gas powered Troybuilt that he likes a lot. But I like the electric machines like you do, Sugarweed.

Yep, the cheaper stuff is just a waste of money.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 17, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8264772

Just beware of the gasoline fuel you use in any small lawn tools. Since we all have to suffer with the ethanol in the fuel, it will eat plactic parts in the carb, fuel lines, and tanks, or make them brittle and easily broken. And, if you have a 2-cycle (where you mix oil with the fuel) it will clog the muffler in short order.

Always try to run the engine dry - DO NOT leave fuel in one of them.

Fuel has a shelf-life of about 6 weeks. If you want to keep it longer - add some Sta-Bil or Sea Foam to the container - directions are on the product labels.

I just replaced the muffler on a 2+ YO Sear's weed whacker, and also replaced the brittle fuel lines. Probably should have disassembled the carb and rebuilt it, too, but that will be next year's project.

I did not know what was causing my starting problems either until I did some research.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8269747

Mine is a Briggs and I love it.
I have electric everything, lawnmower, vacuum, blower, and weed whacker, oh yes and now a 26' pontoon boat. All electric, next maybe a car.
Sugar
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #8271044

Thanks for the warning Bubba about not leaving fuel in the lines. I will mention that to my husband.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8921157

I see this is old but if I saw it maybe others will also. I have only bought Black N Decker Bush Hogg since they came out with them. Love the swivel head for edging and no bump double line feed! Only had to refill cord twice this season. Great power and so much lighter than the gasoline type.
DH doesn't like messing with the cord, so he bought a battery operated one ...whimpy in comparison, but will get the job done eventually. I can walk at a normal pace with the electrical one and it zips right along.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8921524

Thank you for the input Sheila. We'll check out the Black N Deckers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America