Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Can seed pods from hosta's be planted?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kejuke
Beaverton, MI

August 2, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8013233

I have many hostas of all kinds, but would like to know if the seed pods that form after flowering can be planted? If so, when do I plant them and what do I have to do to them to make sure they grow?
lorilovesplants
Albany, MO

August 11, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #8034808

Not all hosta produce the seed pod. Your lucky I just harvested 11 off mine .You need to let the pods dry out using a brown lunch bag works . After a few weeks the pods dry and the seeds inside are black fragile too. You can plant them in your seed starting soil about like any other plant seed and they are fairly easy to grow . Also the neat thing about hosta to is the seeds you plant may look different other than ther plant you harvested off of.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2010 1:54 PM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #8034905

They certainly won't come out to be a "different species" than the parent plant (that's an impossibility), but they cannot be counted on to look exactly the same as the parent plant, if it was a cultivar of some sort - only cloning (i.e. division or cuttings) will produce an exact duplicate.
lorilovesplants
Albany, MO

August 15, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8041472

sorry didnt mean to put different species meant different looking than plant harvested off of
kejuke
Beaverton, MI

August 19, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9635107

I also have seed pods from my many peones. Can they be planted too?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 19, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9635277

Unless the parent plant is cloned, the seeds if any would be sterile, the seeds from all other plants including Peonies, Delphiniums, Lilies etc can ALL be sewn BUT you have to dry the seeds, then remove them from the pods (the pods are the protective pouch to allow the seeds the set and the pods will when dried, open out and scatter the seeds where ever they land, thats how nature does it so what we gardeners try do is replicate what nature does.

You have to learn there is right time and wrong time to plant seeds and it all depends on the plant your hoping to grow from their seeds, Peonies take sometimes a year to germinate and maybe another 4-5 years before the baby plant is large enough to be set out in the garden, Lilies seeds come in all different types, some are formed as minature baby bulbs all down the stems and are found in the leaf axle where the leaf meets the stem, others are from baby bulblet's growing onto the parent bulb under the soil, and you dig up the parent clump of bulbs and replant the baby ones in compost to grow on, these 2 methods are not actually seeds, the third way is like all other flowers, gather the seed pods and dry, collect and resew the seeds as they are releases in safe place from the dried pods.
It is impossible to tell you how to plant ALL seed types but the basics are much the same, soil, temp, water, pricking out when seeds have grown, BUT you need to go to library, book store or other and look for a book on PROPAGATION, it will become your little gardening Bible as it will give full info for as many seeds as you have had hot dinners, search for the RIGHT book, plain English, nothing fancy and out of your depth, before you know it, you will be requiring a garden centre to cope LOL.
Best Wishes. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America