-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8013928

As you may know I decided to do the painted rock swap for Elfie this year since she is having some difficulties. It occurred to me today to wonder if everyone still wants to go ahead with it even if Elfie and Goober aren't doing it.

So sound off if you are still interested so I will know whether to start the sign ups or not.

Thanks a bunch guys and let's do this for fun!

Neener

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 2, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8014289

I'd like to join, but my skills are not nearly as good as the pic you posted! LOL
love, julie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #8014576

Key question how long do I have to accomplish this? LOL
And mine won't be as good as yours but this would be fun, just has to fit in a flat rate box...LOL
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #8014937

I will have to think about this. I recently retired. I collected some river rocks at my sister and BIL campsite and a friend of the family said why don't you paint me a cat. I did this for her. I have many gardens and any kind of bug, bee, or flower would do for me.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #8015105

Great!!! That is a great cat. No one needs to worry about their skill level. There are all kinds of ways to do this. Do something abstract. Bugs are and turtles and snakes are easier than furry things too.

I think the way Elfie was going to to do it was start the sign ups August 20 running until the beginning of Sept. Then a send out date the 20th or so of September.

We'll see how much interest there is and then we can decide. Happ it can be a big rock or several smaller rocks too. I've found that you can get rocks at a lot of farm stores or nurseries that sell stone for hardscaping. Most times they will let you pick through and just charge you a little for a bucketful. The smaller sizes are good for inside use in houseplants or whatever. I have an old dry sink that was my MIL. I put all my painted rocks in there

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8016430

I'm in :-). I've been wanting to try my hand at painting rocks.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8016494

I may be interested in joining.

ants
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8016558

I have rocks, problem is working, finding time to paint and garden, throw in a family member or two, along with some friends and time gets limited...LOL
Just wanted to make sure I had time to complete the swap.

Love your rocks that is sooo cool. Love the sink also...
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8016758

I'm definitely interested.. can't paint worth a darn, but what the heck! I would like to request that Don be my buddy though..I love cats and that's a beautiful one! LOL!

I just realized that's my bug up there :) I love her!! She's sitting with some of my other rocks right here beside my computer desk :)

Julie.. come on... be brave :-)

Neener, I'm going to put this interest thread on the swaps thread..see who we can find for this one :)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8017292

Thanks Chris! I ddin't want to do it if there wasn't enough interest. I ended up doing the decorated egg swap in the Spring with about 5 people and I wanted to widen the gene pool a little. :0)
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #8017425

I will try this swap! Sounds interesting and I can't draw/paint worth a darn but I'll give it my best shot! Just never know till you try!

Debbie
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #8017875

I've already found the picture that I'm going to try to paint..It looks like a pretty basic idea lol :) This will be a fun swap!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 4, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8018866

I'm in! But I'm going to try some flowers. I used to paint flowers on shirts, so I kind of have an idea of how to do them. I'll post a couple of rocks I've already painted. One is going to a special friend, and the other may just go to my buddy IF I get rave reviews! LOL
love, julie
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8019712

I'll join in this one also. But, be forewarned, mailing rocks is expensive. I suggest you get a flat rate box and make sure you paint one that will fit in the box. I painted some and sold some on e-bay and just guessed at the shipping. I lost money on that great idea. LOL. Lou
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #8019731

Just popping in to say HI!!!!!,,

I hope a lot of folks to this swap,, Neener is a very wonderful person to take this over for me. I will get lots of enjoyment watching what everyone comes up with!!!!!

Elfie
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8019742

When it comes to shipping, check the parcel post rates against the flat rates. You can still get delivery confirmation for $.19 extra and a lot of the time the rate is way less depending where it is going. The PO wants us all to believe that flat rate shipping is a bargain, but there have been any number of times people have sent me items that way and paid more than they had to. Since I have a Stamps.com account I periodically check boxes sent to me to find out what the best rate would have been. Sometimes regular Priority Mail and the Parcel post rate are within pennies of each other. Sometimes there is a delta of dollars between them. Just trying to give you a head's up.

Glad we are having interest in this. It was suggested that we should call it a "decorated" rock swap so that folks that don't paint could do some other sort of media. I'm cool with whatever you all want to do.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #8039558

Looks interesting. I'm fairly new on DG so how does this work? Are you paired with someone for the swap so that you only send out one rock ... or ...?

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8040798

Cville you will get a buddy for the swap and that's who you will send to. It gets to be an addicting thing to do and you get to make a bunch of new friends and have a lot of fun. We would love to have you.

I guess I better get my butt in gear and get this one started soon!

Neener

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #8040841

Sounds like fun ... I'm in. Do sign-ups begin on the 20th?

Carole
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #8041309

Yes Carole. I'll start another thread for sign ups and chat on or about the 20th. Glad to have you aboard!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8041340

OK ... one more newbie question: is this strictly a painted rock or is it a "decorated" rock? :-)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8041670

Carole it can be a "decorated" rock. I actually took over this swap for someone else that had to drop out and their original plan was for painted rocks so I just kept that theme. Decorated rocks would probably allow more people to get involved because not everyone paints. All that will explained when I set up the sign up thread. Good questions! Keep 'em coming.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8042128

Hi everyone. I'm interested, Neener.

Nice work, Don. Your painted rock looks like my Kitty Shadow.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #8051446

OK folks!! Let's talk rocks!! Sign up thread with dates, and info is now open.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124078/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124078/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America