Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

help carrots are soft

Shirley, IN

this is my first try at growing carrots and they are doing good but when I pull them up and take them in the house the next day they are soft.
is there something I am doing wrong , should they be refrigerated wright away?

Bark River (UP), MI(Zone 4b)

Are you cutting the tops off right away? If not, they will quickly suck all the moisture out of the root. And yes, I would refrigerate them as well.

Shirley, IN

No I didnt cut the tops . I sure got a lot to learn about gardening .

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Quote from hummingtammy :
I sure got a lot to learn about gardening .

That's what makes gardening so fun. There's always something new to learn.

Chester Springs, PA

I did this too, so it's good to know how to fix it!

If you haven't guessed, I knew the answer to this because I've done the same thing! As Quyen said, there is alway something new to learn with gardening...

;-)

Shirley, IN

I am sooo glad that you all share your knowledge and experiance it sure helps folks like me not want to throw in the towel . I do love to be in my garden .
tammy

Hamilton, ON(Zone 5b)

that's kind of weird... the carrots you buy in the grocery store still have their tops on, and they stay fresh for quite some time!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

They're probably treated with something that's bad for us :-{

Hamilton, ON(Zone 5b)

ha you know it... but they can't be worse than hot dogs lol!

Quote from lorvan :
that's kind of weird... the carrots you buy in the grocery store still have their tops on, and they stay fresh for quite some time!

They use that "intermittent misting" system -- I always seem to have the bad luck of reaching for a clump of broccoli or whatever and manage to get a shower along with it. I'm pretty sure you could put a clump of carrots with tops in a vase of water in the fridge and they'd keep just fine!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

ROFLOL--same here Weedwhacker! No "luck o' the Irish" for me when I'm reaching for veggies in the supermarket--I seem to get a shower at least 1/3 of the time :-{

Plantersville, TX(Zone 9a)

I always put my radishes in a cup of water. No tops on, & they stay crisp for a long time., in the fridge.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL on getting a shower in the produce department... Our Fry's has a system that "thunders" before the water starts. Gives you a bit of a chance to get out of the way!

ROFL! I'll have to suggest that to the local management!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

First time I hear it I was like what the heck is that?

My kids were cracking up. My youngest said "Mom, the veggies are thundering"!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.