Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hibiscus: Can you ID any of these Hibs?

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #8015763

I have 3 hibs with no name. Two are Southern Belle Dinnerplates, but if they have a cultivar name, I'd like to know it. They're both beautiful. A third is just strange (will go into more detail below.)

This is one of the Southern Belles--the Light Pink one, I call it. It's really what got me hooked on hibs and now I have about 15 or so hardy cultivars (and looking for more). It only gets about 5 ft tall and the blooms are huge. They close up about noon each day. And it produces tons of seeds. It has the usual heart-shaped leaves.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8015768

This is the darker pink Southern Belle with huge blooms, heart shaped leaves, and produces lots of seeds. The bloom has a red eye. It gets about 5 ft tall with huge blooms.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #8015772

This last one gets very tall, at least 6 or 7 ft tall. The foliage is maple-like, very similar to that of TX star. The bubble-gum pink blooms are small and don't seem to open fully ever. Every bloom stays furled. It's been in full sun but still the blooms are shy. They're small blooms, probably 4-5 inches. The seed pods are abundant and small with velvety seeds like those of Lord and Lady Baltimore.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to know what to call these three ladies.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #8015779

Ooops, forgot the picture!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America