-
AuthorContent
timmijo
Ellendale, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #8016036

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking to step up from my point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot model DSC-H3. It is an 8.1 megapixel camera. It's a great camera--it has served me well (see attached photo), but I am ready to go to the next level with a digital SLR.

I have about $500.00 to spend.

I'm after crisp, sharp photos (unless I am fuzzing them on purpose).

I do a lot of macro shooting (don't we gardeners all) and so would especially need macro capabilities = sharpness.

I also do action shots since I have two children in marching bands.

I love the movie camera feature on point and shoots except for the maddening fact that you cannot zoom in or out once you are "rolling". Are there DSLR's that take mini-movies with zoom capabilities once you are "rolling film" so to speak?

Any advice would be truly helpful. At fifty years old, it is time for me to go to the next level.

Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by timmijo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8016549

You might be able to get an entry level DSLR for that money but not much else. Not sure if any entry level will play video for that price but they seem to change every month. DSLRs cannot autofocus in Live View or Movie Mode (yet) but zoom should not be an issue if they do offer movie mode.

You will probably get the kit lens which is adequate but it is kind of limiting (no macro, no tele-zoom, not fast, etc.) It usually is better to pay a small fee to get the kit lens instead of buying it later where you will pay lots more for it.

Canon and Nikon are the biggest players with lots of lens and accessories but there are other players as well. Whatever you decide on, think of building a system over many years - especially lenses where they can be quite pricey. Later on you can add a better camera body and use the same lenses.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-prosumer-dslr-cameras/

WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #8016997

This might help too...

http://www.photographybay.com/2007/11/13/5-dslrs-under-500/
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 5, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8020249

Going to be tough to try and get a decent lens and a good DSLR cam for $500.00.

BTW, I have a Canon SX10IS, (NOT A DSLR), I can zoom in while shooting video. I think the newer models (I think I've had mine at least a year, maybe two) have HD video.
timmijo
Ellendale, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8020660

Does anyone know if modern DSLR's can make use of old K-mount bayonet lenses? I have four lenses already. They had been used with an old Sears Program 35mm camera and are in excellent condition.

Also, does anyone know much about the Canon G11? I heard from a professional photographer that while it might not be a big step up from my point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot, it takes nice photos.

Any replies are most appreciated. Thanks.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8020918

I have a pentax ist D DSLR, and all the old pentax bayonet lenses fit and will make good pictures, but do not autofocus or auto set the proper f-stop chosen by the meter.
Robert
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #8022801

Timmijo, I always read reviews and user forums before I buy a new camera. They have good reviews and forums at dpreview.com and stevesdigicams.com, in my opinion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America