Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this, please.......

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 18, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2001
12:45 AM

Post #15093

other than HUGE ;o)

Thumbnail by cazique
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2001
12:47 AM

Post #139946

WOW!! that's cool! Is it a vine?
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2001
1:29 AM

Post #139992

Is it a trumpet vine?
Whatever it is, I bet hummingbirds LOVE it !
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2001
1:54 AM

Post #140029

I think it looks like some sort of morning glory species. How big are the flowers cazique?
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2001
2:22 AM

Post #140058

Yeah, Poppysue, it does look like a morning glory. Cardinal Climber and Cypress Vine come to mind, but something looks different. Cazique, can you post a pic of the leaves for us? Or point out any that are in the pic?
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2001
2:24 AM

Post #140060

The flowers look double - that's what's so different. Cazique I hope you save some seeds!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2001
2:34 AM

Post #140072

I saw something like that recently, the flowers are orangish , about the size of a nickle. Leaves appeared to of the morning glories family.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2001
2:45 AM

Post #140079

The scarlet creeper has the heart shaped leaves - http://www.missouriplants.com/Redalt/Ipomoea_coccinea_page.html
http://www.barbadine.com/pages/ipomoea_coccinea_lien.htm but I've never seen one with a double flower.

This message was edited Thursday, Oct 4th 11:02 PM
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2001
3:04 AM

Post #140097

Poppysue, I don't see any double flowers. Does anyone else? Do I need to borrow DH's glasses?! Oh, I'd HATE that! I pick on him about them sometimes (in a loving way of course!) and I'd hate to have to eat crow! LOL!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2001
3:13 AM

Post #140104

Those 2 or 3 flowers in the front look double to me - maybe i'm the one that need glasses. LOL! - or I've been on the puter too looong tonight!
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2001
6:31 AM

Post #140207

If the leaves are sort of shield shaped, it could be ipomoea coccinea. That little wild morning glory was given to me by my sister in Louisiana, and I was thrilled to learn that it stays open all day. The blooms are like miniatures.
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2001
2:36 PM

Post #140409

Yes, I believe it is Ipomoea coccinea-Var aurantia.
The flowers aren't double. The wind was blowing so the flowers were moving about when photographed.

Thank you all.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2001
2:39 PM

Post #140413

Oh, GOOD! Poppy and I DON'T need glasses! **Whew!***
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2001
2:45 PM

Post #140420

If you need to borrow some in the future, Wingnut...I have glasses for everything-reading,TV,gardening,computer...I have plenty to share, LOL.
Glad we got it solved.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2001
5:53 PM

Post #140591

These are wild morning glories and grow wild here in GA, They are pretty, but so invasive..Be careful in warmer climates..single flowering..
Larkie
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2001
6:19 PM

Post #140610

On my limestone ridge, they haven't fared so well as to become invasive, nor are they in northeast La., but I can certainly see that they might be in some areas. This year, since I was unable to water, they never even got large enough to climb, so they never bloomed. Larkie, do you know if the seeds I saved last year will be likely to germinate next spring? Or should I be asking my sister to save me some? For me, that turned out to be a feel-good plant, with its burden of blossoms adorning the dying oak nearby.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2001
1:30 PM

Post #141233

Ya-ha-ha, Cazique! I just might take you up on that so I can hide them from DH and he'll never know. ;-)
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2001
3:45 AM

Post #141718

This little beauty has really shone in my area this year! I've been seeing it along the roadside, climbing up roadsigns, and wandering up a friend's back steps! (Totally by accident--he doesn't plant ANYTHING.) Maybe the weather conditions this year have something to do with it, or maybe there's been a wholesale mutation, but it's been more orange this year than I've ever seen it. I couldn't understand earlier in the year why people were calling it an 'orange' morning glory---I even traded for some seeds, and it grows wild everywhere around here!
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2001
4:27 AM

Post #141732

I am a most happy gardener tonight!!!! I strolled, or hobbled, along the gardens today, just visiting my plants and promising them I would do better by them next year, when I noticed a colorful spot under an oak tree. Those little darlings aren't even 10" tall, and they are sitting there covered with blooms. I remember last year I thought they wouldn't have time to make seeds before frost, and all of a sudden they did it. A gardener in Alabama posted pics of hers, and I told her to save me seeds because mine probably wouldn't make it. Oh, I hope they escape and thrive all over my pasture. They have been so faithful to me. Hard not to love such a plant. Of course, I even love that little rascal called tie vine or bindweed. Please, no brickbats, they're pretty. They are indeed everywhere, so maybe ipomoea coccinea will give them a challenge.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America