Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Spawning

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 40, Views: 273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8016166

My koi are going crazy this year with spawing. So far, I have 4 that have spawned and gotten their girlish figures back and there is one left that is so huge, I am surprised she can swim at all and then another female that was bigger last year than this year.

I know last year, the spawning did not seem to be as frentic as this year. Anybody else seeing the same thing as I am this year?

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8016716

All quiet around here. Congratulations !
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8016751

Not as exciting as koi, but I did see my goldfish goin' after it! They were chasing around the pond and trying to trap and squeeze the females against the side of the pond. I felt sorry for the poor girls.

No sign of little ones yet, but we've had so much rain (thank God) that I can barely see in either pond. Years of ponding and never seen my fish act like this! Wonder if all the rain has kept the water cool and created the perfect conditions? Susanne
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #8018076

BeaHive

Not sure it should be 'congratulations'. Every year we fish (no pun intended) at least 50-60 small fry from the pond. I have run out of homes for the babies. I will tell you though, there have been enough interesting looking babies that I have kept because of the unique markings. I am getting to the point where I am pretty much maxed out though...

Thank you though for your congrats!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8018539

Sounds like its time for another pond!! :)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8019997

Our water temps got warm very quickly this year, and I have many koi still huge with eggs. I'm hoping for maybe a fall spawn?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #8020152

MM

We warmed up very quickly this year as well. I am sure your temps are warmer than ours though.

Everything seems to be ahead of schedule for us as well as the spawnings. Seems like the spawnings were always August/September.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8020499

I usually get a spawning in May...but right after my few goldfish spawned, the water temps get very warm, and the koi never did. I was thinking of putting the few goldfish I have, back in the main pond (they tend to spawn much more than koi) just to get everyone thinking the same thing at the same time (?)
:D
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8020626

not a bad idea... :-)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #8023951

Have a 350 gallon pond. Have only Wallyword goldfish. Have 5 that have grow quite large, maybe 1/2 pound each. Well, they spawned about 6 weeks ago. Must have 150 at first. Best I can count we have may 50 babies now. Must be way too many for my size pond. They are all coming to top and gasping air. We have everything we could find on the internet and somedays they are ok and some not. To add the problem we have been running an average of 101-105 per day. DH wants to euthanize the babies but I am too soft hearted and will probably wind up loosing all of them.
Had sudden rain today and praying that will help.

Any suggestions?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #8024182

LouC

You need oxygen in your pond. If they are coming to the top gasping for air, they do not have enough oxygen. The warmer the temps in the water, the less oxygen content in the water. Also, if the water is colder, then there is a higher oxygen content. Are you running a pump? If so, what size?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8024616

Lou, If you don't want to get into big time ponding, you can get a solar panel air pump to add extra oxygen. Then there are no cords or electricity needed.
However, remember that goldfish and koi are different creatures, and goldfish are surface breathers, where koi are not. I've seriously had goldfish live in 4 inches of water in a wheelbarrow, just to keep the mosquitos out. They grew to 6 inches before I threw them in the pond and got a few 1 inchers to replace them ( I had a water lily was was nurturing in the wheelbarrow) They must have been in there for 3 years. They are VERY hardy!
WHen I had too many fry the one year, I waited until the elementary school had a carnival, and donated them all for the fishbowl game. Just about every kid in the school took home a fish! Yay! Sometimes their science classrooms will take them for their aquariums as well.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #8024706

I have a pump/fountain and also purchased an aquarium filter to add extra oxygen. Have a fan blowing over the top. It is a 350 gallon horse trough. 4 feet deep. Have 3 plants that very healthy.
Somedays they are better than others. The continuous 105 everyday is definitely the worst of the problem. Rained last night and that has been good. Supposed to be 102 again today. We have a very large umbrella over it and part of the day the shade from a tree is over it as well. 6th years. First time to face this dilemma. I think it was the spawn.

Thank you for the information , Mary. School starts here next week. Think I will contact someone to see if I can donate the fry.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #8024899

MM - great idea on the small fry! Perhaps the the local carnival will want koi fry - you never know!
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8026568

Wish I lived nearby I would love to have some baby join in my pond to accompany my Walmart goldfish.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8026677

LL - roadtrip!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8027169

Tammie, that's where I started. Bought a dozen last year (spring '09) and only 5 survived but they have grown into about 1/2 pound each, 6 - 7 inches long. It is their babies that are causing the problem. Again must have been over a hundred to begin and best I can count, there are about 30 babies left and they are growing like weeds, hence, the pond is over populated. DH says to flush them down the commode to save the big ones. Can't do that. They are cannibals as are most varieties when it comes to fry.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8027696

You mean they will start producing more at that size? I have had my Walmart ones for over a year.. they are about that size also. They have really grown. They don't seem to be interested in each other though. Lucky me. My little pond is only 125 gallons. I only have 5 fish too. I did have 6 but one wanted to see the area beyond the pond when I was not around to save him.
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8068438

I have a 72,000 gal pond (when it is full, now it is very low.) I put some of the koi
in the summer of 2009. Some have become very large.

I also have a green heron. I have startled it enough that it might go away. Is it a serious danger to the fish? I have three big lily pad areas. They like the one under
the shade of a tree. I did see some flopping around with a fish having his back
exposed, twice. Could they have been spawning?

I stopped feeding the koi because they came to the surface and if they did that on
a regular basis, a great blue might top and feed on them, does the green one too?
By letting them stay deep, I only get an occasional glimpse of them. I am reluctantly
willing to do this to keep them safe. Do you think I could start feeding them again.
Even though the pond is low, it still has more than half of its capacity.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8068457

any heron will eat your fish in a hurry. Make sure your pond has plenty of places for them to hide. You could start feeding pellets that sink, not the floating ones.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8068737

Gloria

does sound like some type of spawning activity. Typically that activity is early in the morning and you will see foam left on top of the water from spawning and you can smell it after they spawn.

The herons will eat your fish if the koi are just swimming. I don't know about you, but my koi come to the surface other than when they are eating. They are always swimming around and tend to go after my plants that are cascading from the edge of the pond into the water.

I have not seen the green herons here, but I have heard about them. Are they the ones that feed at night? My local pond store was telling me about some type of heron that feeds only at night. I haven't looked up the information, but I do need to check it out.

Put some fishline around the perimeter of your pond. This should keep the herons from terrorizing your fish. The herons don't like their feet getting caught up in the fish line.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #8073035

The herons are waiting at dusk to swoop down and scoop up. You can see them temporarily roosting on chimneys in wait They will wait till you leave your pond and go into the house. They're not picky. They eat goldfish as well as koi. And goldfish tend to be a little slower.

Also be wary of raccoons, which are destructive of the pond plants as well as the fish. It is my understanding that flashing lights will deter raccoons. When I covered the pond with netting and chicken wire, everyone was safe. The raccoons tried to ruin the wire and netting and could not, so in anger left their poop on the side of the pond.

The problem with keeping the fish safe is that they are not as available to enjoy, so I had to fix that.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8073659

"so in anger left their poop on the side of the pond."

Oh my gosh...I'm laughing so hard at that, that I'm choking on my own slobber...

:D
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8097237

End of story. Last week bagged up 24 babies and sent them to the grade school. Haven't checked to see if they lived. Within three days of getting them out all five of my big fish died and the last 3 babies. Emptied the pond. Cleaned it real good and let it sit in the sun for 5 days. Just now filled it up, put the plants back in and will wait a couple of weeks and my neighbor will share some of her year old goldfish. Once the water became unbalanced, there just seemed no end.
Sure hated to loose any of them. Funny we used to use them for bait.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8097516

How sad ... all of them are orphans.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8223610

lol orphans, that was depressing ...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #8224274

I loved them like any other pet. Really, really sorry that we lost them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9172837

My fish were spawning when I left for work this morning. I don't ever remember spawning as this early in the year before.

pondlove
Lewes, DE

June 20, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9172924

My shubunkin have been spawning like crazy for a couple weeks. I have fry already. I haven't been feeding the fish very often because I'm hoping they'll be hungry enough to eat fish eggs. I don't want an overpopulation.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9173014

Well today's the first day of summer...so summer romances are taking over! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9173328

MerryMary wrote:Well today's the first day of summer...so summer romances are taking over! :)

Apparently love is in the air! My poor kigoi has a red head!

Pondlove - put a couple of bullfrog tads in and that will take care of any overpopulations!
pondlove
Lewes, DE

June 20, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9173427

Two summers ago I had a natural big population of tadpoles. I have bullfrogs now, but no tads. Don't know why. I'd love to have them again. Any suggestions?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9173432

PL

I buy a dozen or so every spring at my local ponding store. He charges either $1 or $1.50 each - I cannot remember. We used to be inundated with koi fry before we discovered the tads, but thankfully that isn't a problem any more.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9173508

I don't use bullfrog tadpoles, because bullfrogs eat koi! (and all tads eventually become frogs!) I have a zillion tadpoles in every cup, saucer, pot, etc...it's one of the blessings/hazards of living in Florida. I order tadpoles off of ebay every year to make sure I have frogs that are native to this area. Many of the frogs in my yard, are the invasive Cuban Tree Frogs, which literally destroy all other frogs and lizards in this area. I just ordered some green tree frogs and leopard frogs to re-balance the natural eco-system.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9173823

MM - You do make a very good point about the natural balance - we do have bullfrogs here though. Funny, we don't seem to keep a lot of the frogs once they get too big - I don't know why. As long as it works - it got very old to have to remove 50-60 koi fry each year and I the koi are too big to be eaten by the frogs.

I know you have done well in ordering from ebay. I did try ordering from ebay some years ago and was stung - perhaps you can share some of your favorite sellers with us?
pondlove
Lewes, DE

June 21, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9173942

I'd like my native resident bullfrogs reproduce instead of buying tads. Any ideas?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9299877

Never in life have I ever heard of anyone buying tadpoles. Geez I'm living on a gold mine and didn't know it. LOL

I have tons of little green frogs, a few toads and some CTF wich are headed for froggie heaven.

Lizards of every description, chartruese, brown, striped, large striped skinks. They are also all over my pool screen. I do nothing to attract any critters so must be ideal living conditions here.

Merry Mary, don't buy green frogs just come over with a critter cage or cooler and we can load it up I'm sure.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9300028

Bonnie

It is easier for me to buy the tads and use them as a form of birth control on the koi fry than it is to try to catch them every fall. Every year, even with allowing the koi to eat the eggs and the fry, we would end up with 50-60 or so koi fry. We had exhausted all possibilities of homes for the poor things, so this way, at least we didn't have to chase all the fry around.

This guy/gal (I don't know how to tell) was sitting in my skimmer the other day.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9301344

Looks like an American toad I looked up. He's cute. Just check the feet and you can be sure.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9301345

Or is it a leopard frog? Either way, I want 30 of them! lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9301520

I think he is some type of leopard frog. I have to beleive he came from the tads that I buy every year. You would think there would be at least a couple that would hang around after they grew their little arms and legs!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America