Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Identify spider and its web

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 11, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8018178

Out side in the flower graden we spotted and unusal spider web. The web is in a cork screw shape and about the size of a pencil. I have taken a picture of it, at the time the spider was behind the web but his legs show. If this picture isn't good enough I will try to get one when all of him is showing.

Thumbnail by Sparks42
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8019085

How unusual. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for posting the photo.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #8019372

I think that it is the yellow and black one that used to reside in the tomato patch..will check for name.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8019380

I think that it is the yellow and black one that used to reside in the tomato patch..will check for name.
Ask.com...Argipe Aurantia
aka Black and yellow garden spider, writing spider, banana spider,corn spider

Not known to be harmful to humans.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #8019769

Just thank you, your answer is appreciated
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #8023858

You are welcome..fun memories of seeing it in the farm garden.
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8025587

This is my very favorite spider! I like to call it a Garden Spider, but it is really an argiope. Haven't had one here for a few seasons. They are so beautiful!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #8035709

We call them Golden Orb Weavers here. They can get huge and scary looking, but they are harmless to us. They love the bigger bugs, like grasshoppers. And they'll steal my butterflies if I'm not paying attention.

The "zipper" in their web reinforces the web, making it stronger. They expend so much energy creating the web that they usually won't build another one if that one gets damaged. They'll try to repair it instead.

Smaller spiders like to hang out in the corners to eat the smaller bugs that get caught in the web. The Golden Orb Weaver won't bother with anything it thinks is too small, so these smaller spiders keep the web clean.

They're fascinating to watch. I have a few every year and they get huge. I try not to damage their webs while working in the gardens but they like to attach to so many plants and sometimes I don't realize they're there until I've done my damage.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8051361

Thank you Butterfly, when you say they get huge, how big is huge? Something clobbered the one we had and a heavy rain washed web and all away. The spider itsself was spindly but about 2 inches log.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #8051369

I don't know how big they ultimately get. I've seen some whose bodies alone were 2 to 2.5 inches long--just the body. They get pretty fat off the grasshoppers here. I love them. I think they're beautiful creatures. I enjoy watching them. I don't want them touching me though. I don't want to get into the web or have one crawling on me. I keep a respectful distance and just admire them.

After they mate, they'll "tie a sack of eggs" up somewhere, like in the eaves of the house. Now that I know what it is, I don't disturb it. Yet it doesn't seem like I'm ever invaded with numerous weavers, just a few scattered throughout my gardens each year. I even help them by catching some grasshoppers and tossing them in the web. Oooooh, the malicious pleasure I get from that! LOL
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8052031

Way to go!! I tried to toss a Japanese beetle into unknown web..too heavy. My garden shoe had to do its' thing :)
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #8066372

Look at St Andrew's Cross spider (order: Araneae) in Bug Files. I have several of these around my house. They are very beneficial and will not bite unless you handle them. Even if they do bite it will not harm you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America