Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: light

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #8018608

I have a Lilac growing - or not growing - under a very shady tree. With out moving it, the plant will never have a chance to grow , and I will never be able to move it. My question is, would be possible to use grow lights outside? Are grow lights the same thing as any other lights? Any recomendations will be appreciated. Thank you.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8018731

Should work. Your neighbors may think you are crazy, but light is light.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #8019688

It depends on just how crazy you want to be seen as by your neighbors. My neighbors know I am crazy so it wouldn't surprise them. You might want to consider rooting a bunch of cuttings from it to start a new bush in a better spot and just leave the old one on its own or cut it out once you have a new bush established. This way you can have better growing conditions for the new bush, not have to worry about moving the old one and your light bill won't go up from running grow lights outdoors everyday.

Frank
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8020063

What kind of bulb is used in grow lights? Is it the same kind of bulb that I put in my livingroom lamp? Does it have to be a certain wattage?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8020154

Most hardware and home improvement stores sell plant light bulbs. They look like a regular flood light bulb but have a special coating inside of them that produces the correct wavelengths of light for growing plants. They are also made in standard shape light bulbs and flourescent tubes in addition to spot and flood light bulbs.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8020221

Thank you. I will talk it over with someone at the hardware store. I care more for the Lilac than I do for what the neighbors might think!! The outdoor outlet is just a few feet from the plant so this won't be such a big job after all. Dave's Garden makes it so much easier to learn things.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8022784

Grow lights can be quite expensive. When I'm starting plants (OK, hostas) from seed, I use regular flourescent lights. By using one Cool White and one Warm White bulb together, it gives the full light spectrum (I've been told). In any case, it works very well and is much cheaper than the grow lights.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8022872

Mable, I was wondering . . . could you limb up the shade tree? A lot of times, even sun plants can get by with bright indirect light, albeit with fewer flowers. Great idea, too, about taking a cutting and planting that in a better area!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America