Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of View: microscopic bug on adenium obesum?

Communities > Forums > Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of View
bookmark
Forum: Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of ViewReplies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

August 4, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #8019142

Something has been attacking the growing tips of my Adenium ever since I got it. The leaves emerge badly distorted if at all. No insect is visible, not even with a 30x hand-held microscope. There is a bit of sticky sap-like stuff that hardens at the growing tip. I have cut it back a few times. It responds with new growth, but after 4 or 5 leaves emerge the symptoms return. I finally treated it with a systemic (imidicloprid) and that seems to be working. I'd really like to know what the problem was. Any ideas?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #8019476

I am pretty sure imidacloprid only gets insects, so spider mites is unlikely, but would have been my guess before the response to treatment. No idea.
tinshemet
Haifa
Israel

August 5, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #8019749

Imidacloprid indeed is an insecticide - we use it a lot as a drench against scale (all forms), aphids and white fly.
Although it doesn't work well against thrips, this would be my guess to be the culprit. I have spent literally hours disecting distorted rosebuds before finding a single thrips who would instantly jump over to the next bud, or plant. Very hard to get rid of.
For white fly Imidacloprid is my only (partial) solution, as it lets us at least control the situation. I drench all flowerbeds & roses once a month in summer through our fertigation system; this also controls leaf-miner in Citrus, and aphids.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What's Eating Me? Clues to Bug Destruction from a Tropical/Succulent Point of View Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Slugs in the tropics?? Oberon46 0 Aug 9, 2010 7:33 AM
What's eating my merigolds? seekineden 2 Aug 11, 2010 8:22 AM
Less toxic alternatives topchlf 0 Aug 9, 2010 1:45 PM
Well done! jazzy1okc 0 Aug 10, 2010 5:14 AM
Rabbit attack AndrewSloan 0 Nov 19, 2012 3:20 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America