Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Crepe Murder Mystery: Crepe myrtles are hard to kill

Communities > Forums > Article: Crepe Murder Mystery
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crepe Murder MysteryReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garden_geezer
Biloxi, MS

August 5, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8020786

A few years back I purchased a pair of white-blooming "Natchez" variety crepe myrtles,
transferred them to large stock pots and set them behind my greenhouse to grow for a
while. A year later I decided to plant them in the ground and found that they had grown
through the bottom of their pots. It required the services of a pruning saw to free them.
Both were successfully planted, but that's not the point of this. Every piece of root that
remained in the ground put up vigorous shoots. I had a virtual forest of crepes. My first
thought was to spray them with Roundup and be done with them. Instead, I decided to
dig and pot the volunteers. I now have half-a-dozen growing tall and a whole lot more
awaiting their turn to be dug up, an inexhaustible supply. What I can't give to friends, I
will probably donate to a garden club to plant in public spaces. "Natchez" will top
out at about 30 feet, so they will make for some attractive medium sized trees.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 9, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8028522

How nice! They would make a beautiful stand of trees for the landscape.I'm sure many garderners on dave's would love a sapling of the white variety.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crepe Murder Mystery Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
your murdered crepe myrtle sunbug1 17 Oct 11, 2007 3:26 PM
My 'dead' crepe myrtle scottsmom 1 Oct 8, 2007 2:03 PM
Starting an Ireal Garden. boswell 3 Oct 8, 2007 11:19 PM
Thanks pupilpropogtr 2 Oct 8, 2007 9:51 PM
Mother's Day Crepe Myrtle Vipslady 0 Oct 9, 2007 4:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America