Photo by Melody

Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them: Be Nice To Spiders

Communities > Forums > Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love ThemReplies: 0, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kmm44
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8022363

The title above is from a book I used to read to my kids--one of our favorites. It is about a zoo that had a lot of spiders and the administration decided to get rid of them. They instituted a massive extermination program to wipe them out completely. It backfired big-time because then insects took over the zoo and made all the animals and people miserable and they were on the verge of having to shut down. Finally they managed to re-introduce new spiders back into the environment and the zoo was saved.
All spiders are venomous and I know that some spiders can be dangerous like the brown recluse and the black widow but they are very beneficial. My 2 oldest boys shared a bedroom in our finished basement for 20 yrs. They had a pet wolf spider that lived in their closet for 2 yrs. In spite of their smuggling food down there against my orders, there were no bugs of any kind in the whole basement during that time, Wolfy took care of them.
My 4th son kept 4 tarantulas in plastic tanks in his bedroom for over a year. He got them at the reptile swap meet for two baby corn snakes and some cash. Not everyone in the family was so tolerant of the tarantulas. My daughter, the "baby" of the family, came home from a date one night and found a baby snake curled up on her towel-covered doorknob. She is not afraid of snakes, but REALLY hates spiders. She marched into the next bedroom, shared by her 3rd and 4th brothers who were sound asleep, and yelled at Brian to come and get his snake. And added,"If any of those spiders get loose, YOU ARE DEAD MEAT!!!!!
For years our house was like a natural history museum with snakes, turtles, lizards (I had to capture a loose iguana once), several fish tanks and the spiders. They went through a rodent phase, too, with pet mice then hamsters and gerbils. I could have charged admission.
Eventually Brian started raising mice to feed the snakes. I never knew what I would find when I opened the freezer chest in the basement back room.
Sometimes people would come to visit and ask, "Is anything loose today?" It was an adventure, but it kept the kids off the streets, lol.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article kniphofia 7 Aug 2, 2010 5:42 PM
I know where Derek is coming from. LHicks 1 Mar 15, 2008 6:44 PM
Jumping spiders Machikoneko 5 Mar 4, 2011 1:15 PM
Spiders are AWESOME cluelessnTN 5 Aug 2, 2010 7:02 AM
Re: My spider with the happy face Britta1000 3 Oct 15, 2009 9:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America