Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8022595

Well we came from the GPS 10 and now, moving on we are on the 11th GPS.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103915/

Heres what the jungle looked like after the clean up this summer.. um, I still think the GPS mess needs a pruning! seriously! Man this summer things have been growing FAST! Just cannot keep up with it!

Now about that gomphrena Jon.. where were we?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8022609

Wow. I love your perennial Phlox Blossom. That's another thing that won't do so well down here. Very envious here.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8022671

Its of jurassic proportions here...! Sadly now it is gone to seed and I need to get harvesting. I keep spreading its joy every where here. It smells soooo heavenly too and a great butterfly berth! I tried it on the prairie.. so far no go except for a few. It should get goig ok, just may take a couple years.. The wild pinks do great as do the sand phlox so im looking forward to it!

That yellow is a heliopsis and the orange is tigerlilies.. the lililes dropped their bulblets already and I dint get a chance to grab any.. so I wil have more coming in the garden, but that is ok! They look cool with the phlox.

My DL guru has a really pretty shocking magenta phlox that is about half the height of my talls.. im like gimme those hoping they will cross and go tall in that color! That would be an awesome bloom!

...more hens and chicks here.. LOL!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8022893

Hi Blossom - it's been a long time since I have visited here. You do have an impressive stand of phlox. If you have any extra seeds, I would love to try and grow some here.

My main project this year is to get rid of some of the lawn and make a few new beds. I have very limited growing area - unlike your acres and acres. Hope you are well.

Dianne

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8024801

Hi Di! thanks.. we are haning in there..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8027864

LOL, looks like my "g" is hanging up on me... thats hanging in there Di! Well long time know see! Hope things are going well. Its been an insane year for us.

got some new plants in the last couple days...heres gazania.. I think I spelled that right!

There are several in that pot.. looks like it had an orange bloom that was recenlty spent.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #8027870

Verbena in red...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #8027882

Spiral rush

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8027883

Yep, you spelled it right. They're popular plants here that act as perennials. They don't bloom much during the summer, but do well from October-June.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #8027891

I hope it reseeds! Maybe I will bring it indoors...

Pretty peach dahlia... I love this color.. its sooo soft! I kinda wish I could have got a bunch of those.. they would look cool with pumpkins by them! But was only one.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8027903

This hideous thing! LOL! Sorry about the blurr... its a petunia

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #8027919

I hope that butt oogly tunia sets seed...LOL!

Bat plant... cute lil thing, but I thought the blooms would be bigger...I must be thinking of another batflower...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #8027926

minus helichrysum... um, the white flowers are a different plant...!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8027934

Here is the white flowered plant... Abunda giant white bacopa... this one is very populare in hanging baskets up here

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #8027956

Mosquito plant or otherwise known as citronella.. this one is varigated...

I was at first drawn to this plants "slight" aroma...until I carried it in my arms close to my bossom with an arm load of other plants... and by the time I got to the register I was totally nausiated! LOL! Then it stunk my clothes up and skin and ugh! I can see why no bug would like it! People were avoiding me too! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8027968

Colocasia, when I was checking out a fella come up to me and said put these in water...they like their feet wet so he was trying to explain to me what to do and well, I need to find a pot that will retain water so I can winter these in the house and enjoy them..

He said he took his and put a bowl in the pot they were in and put gold fish in the bowl...hmmmm now he has my poor brain reeling on a display for them in the summer next year if I get them to survive!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8028472

Oh no no no. I tried those "Pretty Much Picasso" petunias also and ended up chucking them. Blooms were small and the growth on that plant is just weird. It just seems to sprawl in all kinds of directions. Now that last plant (Elephant Ears) is a pretty popular tropical plant down here. They can get very huge, with enormous leaves, after a few years in the tropics. Not sure how well that it going to over winter inside.

Like that Dahlia Blossom. Very very nice form and color. Hopefully many more blooms will be coming on the plant. Decided to plant some dinnerplate dahlia tubers down here and give them one more try this summer. Failed miserably on the first attempt a couple of years ago. Did some online research and picked a few varieties recommended for the deep south. This is Dinnerplate Dahlia "Lavengro" first bloom beginning to open this morning. Hope it ends up looking nice. Pinched the plant two or three times while it was growing to get a better branching habit. Took a good 3 months to grow from tuber to first blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8028476

And this one is a 12-18" inch tall Dahlia named "Eye Candy". It's a Dahlia put out by Proven Winners that I bought back in May.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8028697

Got some watering done this morning and picked and killed some weeds and yanked tares out of the one daylily patch.

Picked maters, filled my jugs with water for fertilizer, took out the trash and did a few other pidditily things.

Oh that dahlia of yours is too weird!!! Looks like a rud! I dont normally do dahlias, but I liked this one and for 99c.. well...couldnt go to wrong if I had to winter one tuber over!

Guess ima gonna have to pich that tunia... its foliage is difernt!

I finally found a hole-less pot for the elephant ears. I might have made a mistake in getting 2 if they get too big...! Testing it for leaks as we chat! LOL

This is licorace plant...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8028825

Candy corn plant.. complete with little trellis! Ha 99c, buy 2 get 1 free.. such a deal.. the pot though did not come with it.. had to transplant it already

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8028844

Got 5 of those.. they will look cute with my pumpkins later!

poked some strawberries in the strawberry urn...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8028855

Ok, so the pic of the strawberries is cockeyed.. LEAN!!!! LOL!

Heres the colocascia in their pot... I am wondering how big they are gonna get...they are not the elephant ears...time will tell... they will go in a west window when they come inside.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #8028864

I'm not so sure about Elephant Ears wanting to be real real wet. They're always sold in containers with holes in the bottom and you see them planted in areas, down here, that would be normal moisture. You don't see them planted in unusually soggy locations. Have never had one...just simply basing it on what I've observed when I see them.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #8028867

Angelonia...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #8028879

Well, I am pretty sure they are a bog plant... I will let it dry out thoroughly before soaking it again.. if they seem un happy I will repot them. IN this heat I think they wil dry.. maybe get the plant files link for us to check?

Here is my strawberry tire.. all the lil babies on the rim! One of my tires died back and I am not sure why.. could have been lack of wet... too much shade.. this one is in full sun. Dint get any berries on eithr of them this year.. maybe next time, but this one sure went boinkers!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8028904

The gal at the GH said they were not exactly the same as elephant ears..

...this is merange.. I dint get it.. it was 70% and still $8 at Als... holy cow.. I can wait. But its a good looker!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8028919

Group shot, mostly Leos plants..

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8028925

Musta rained frogs last night! HA!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #8029038

Did a little reading on Elephant Ears. I guess they like it wet and humid and will grow well if kept damp and not allowed to dry out. They are related to Caladiums. Apparently they do not like extended period of cool weather and I read it's best to bring them inside when they temps get below 50 degrees consistently. If planted outside in Northern climates it mentions cutting the foliage back, digging up the tubers and storing them inside during the winter. You would replant them in the spring when temperatures stay above 50 degrees.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #8029073

Cool! Well the guy at the GH said wet feet, west window when I bring the pot inside.. so.. will try what he said!

Thanks too for your info.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8029081

You're welcome Blossom. Will be interesting to see if you can keep them "Ears" growing during the winter. If they don't work out so well at least you can cut it back and replant the tuber(s) in the spring.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8029230

Well, gonna be interesting... Im looking around and going, holy moly, all the plants I might be bringing in again... I must prepare tables and stands! Yipes! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8029283

Oh yes, I remember all your plants inside last winter on those plant stands your DH made.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8029306

I wish he had time to make more, but alas and sigh... I will make do...Will just have to get creative!

So have you been enjoying that pool? We had one of those inflatable ring pools. I have not set it up for lack of time and all.

Doing a BBQ sounds like fun.. potluck, everyone brings a dish and just enjoy company of good friends.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8029380

Believe it or not I hardy ever use the pool. Went to the beach a couple of weeks ago and hadn't been there in several years. When you live here I guess you get spoiled and take it all for granted.

Last pot luck dinner I went to was in June at the monthly meeting of the local chapter of the American Hibiscus Society. There are two pot luck dinners per year (June & Dec). The last one had the best food and desserts. Fried chicken, ribs, ham, turkey, shrimp, pasta salad, potato salad, salads, cookies, pies, cakes. There was SO much food.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8029501

Had a great dinner the other day... thought I died and gone to heaven...sadly though a dear friend had passed away.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #8029537

Sorry to hear that Blossom. Death sucks.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8029591

Well, losing someone from this world that ya love hurts, but ya just gotta have faith. Yano, makes a big difference if. And my friend had BIG faith so yano Jon, that makes things all right. Shes sitting there with the saving grace and thats what counts.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8035280

The "Lavengro" Dinnerplate Dahlia is, just about, fully open this morning with a few more blooms and buds coming along.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8037135

Oh verrrry nice. Seems my dahlia took a header.. I think a stray cat knocked it about. Grrrrr...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8037176

Thanks. I'm patiently waiting for some buds to open on some other Dinnerplate Dahlias. I'm liking the big blooms.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8037259

I love that lavender color.. its the color of loyalty and royalty. Im gonna have to cut my poor dahlia back and hope it still grows. it was busted down the mainstem so I expect it will not make it for too long. Drat that cat.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8037355

Yes, that's a bit of a dilemma. The problem is that its getting late in the season and it may not have enough time to regrow/bloom again this year. I'd probably cut it back anyway and see what happens. We're you planning on saving the tuber, by digging it up, storing it, and planting it again next spring? I'm assuming they don't overwinter and return in your climatic zone?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #8037474

I have tried saving tubers in the past and yeah, dig them up and store them dry. Im tempted to try this one in the house under lights this winter leaving it in a pot. I will have to transplant it or leave it with the combo its in right now since its my only dal!... dilema dilema!

I usually do not do what I call "storage" plants.. examples are canna, glads, dahlias because of the excess work in digging if they are in the dirt in the garden and when I do do them they are in pots so easily dumped no digging and with a gardne my size, I need work and back savers. Im a growit and mow it kind of girl! hehehe!

Well, hope you are cooling off down there. they say hotty again here... ugh! Be checking livestock for heat truamas again. So far my herd is in excellent shape, but I know others losing weight and people not taking care of things good and animals suffering.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 15, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8040899

Dahlia "Barbarossa" from this morning.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8040993

Verrrry nice!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8045872

hardy hibiscus.. Rose of Sharon

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8047136

Purple verbena

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8056766

Arrrggghhhh! I'm back but don't blink or I'll be gone.

Too darn hot so I'm re-doing a few rooms.Just finished up the old livingroom. Use to be off-white,new color is suppose to be grey(Turtledove)but it looks dusty lilac.

Haven't been taking many pictures 'cause it's been to stinking hot but here White Texas Star

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8058088

Well, thats purdy.. sounds like you got

lackawannadu2hotwedder
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8058747

oh,I'm a-doing...just not outside

rudbeckia triloba "Red Spot"

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8058821

Well, were hanging in here too... going blind doing paperwork...wish I had time to garden...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #8059139

I'm re-surfacing and painting the hallway. It's taking forever for the mud to dry so I can paint so I'm spray painting the outlet covers. My house looks like a tornado went thur it and I'm wanting so bad to get everything finished so I can put stuff back where it belongs.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8060190

Id like to re-surface something too...but well you know where my thoughts lye. Ugh!

been dumping pots with bulbs.. jsut packed up some lycoris radiata to send down to another gal... they dont do good here. All i got to enjoy was the leaves in the winter in pots in the house. More space for something else this winter...

Gotta do the glads.. oh im soooo happy! HA!

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #8060765

I have a bowl full of daffs to replant .

I think this is spynx moth cat

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8060878

Now stop that, you know I am a home for wayward daffodils...

Ewww! thats weird looking!

heeres my haha's...

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #8064831

a bunch of daff bulbs that got dug up when I was re-doing a bed. I need to dig out a dump truck load of lycoris radaita myself but dern if I know where I'll plant them back...and you can't give them away in the south since most consider them weeds here
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #8064937

Wished them weeds woudl grow here! LOL! I never knew there were so many kinds actually. Saw some yellows, whites and pinks.

Dafs do great here in my swamp. Why they love the spring wet I will knoefer know, but do not send me any tulips.. they hate it!

Gotta finish deadheading tall garden phlox before all the seed goes into the garden like I need more...and my heleiopsis too. Its done. Got a lot to do and not enough time to do all of it.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8087753

been taking out the dead pots to storage for the winter...

moving containers to the porch, bringing plants inside.

Yea gads its that time of year...time to wonder when the first frost will hit.. can you beleive its over?.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #8087806

One of my favorite things about living in Florida. It's never over. Oddly enough, this time of year I consider "the beginning". The vegetable gardens are just about ready to start. The choices you can make regarding what flowers to grow multiplies tenfold. Will be happy to get "color" back into the flower beds. It's kind of sparse looking during the summer. Here's a pic of the "Helena Gold" Helenium beginning to bloom out back. Never tried Helenium before. They're kind of interesting.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #8091152

oooh so jealous.. but then again, my back needs a break
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #8091238

It all evens out Blossom. I get jealous in June when most winter stuff is dying down here. You're just beginning for the year. There are things that do well in the summer for us, it's just far more limited.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #8091496

yeah, I know. I would just love to eventually get the plastic on our big hoops one year, then do the show all year. Course then again, I know, be careful what you ask for Blossom, it comes with big LP propains! Course we are not that far along yet either to do that, but if you gotta dream, dream big. If its in the book of life for ya, it comes in due time.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #8105165

Magenta gomphrena...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #8105539

Very very nice Blossom. Love it. Gomphrena is one of those flowers I've wanted to try but have yet to. Seems like I'm gonna focus on trying to grow annual lupines, california poppies, salpiglossis and stock as new plants to me this winter. Figure if I try several varieties of each flower, perhaps I'll find something that works.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8105608

Gomps can go in a pot Jon and they are really easy. I wished I had strawberrie fields, but just have the magenta and a little white. I will dry them again for seed, but this year I did not have too many.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8105623

They look like they'd be a nice potted plant. I'll get to them someday, but probably have to grow them myself. Don't recall seeing them available, as plants, during the cooler months in nurseries down this way.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #8106307

not promising, but if I have seed later, maybe...

If you do happen to find straberry fields keep me in mings and I will try to hold you some white and magenta. I dont see any pink out there but if there is, maybe that too.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #8126827

...LOL! Thats "mind" not 'mings'... I swear spell checker is daft.

Well anyway, been busy here, cleaning beds, pruning, mowing... the usual fall stuff.

Put up pots to go indoors and indoors they went today and I am not ready to do that, but thought to be smart.

Dug some imps out and need to get some more so I can have those indoors to enjoy.

Need to do a royal house cleaning. Had a mouse... a-hem.. x 3 in the house.. derned critters, happens every fall. But this is the worst. Usually its one.

Im fretting on my loofas...hope they can finish out before frost... its a race against time on them and I got a lot of dangles on the vine.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #8126905

Frost! Is it that time of year already??? We're still waiting for a cold front. That would be nice.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8126931

Yeah, the shear thought frost is just nausiating, but it is that time of year! Winter is sposed to be early this year so with that in mind, Im thinking spring.

We mangled a garden bed pulling out a maple bush... it was a tree, but the derned thing suckered so much it never made a tree and was always a shrub looking thing and had to go. We tried snipping it, killing it with roundup, and nothing worked and so w we chained it to the tractor and ripped it out.. So in the process we yanked some of my buried bulb pots and holy cows! They needed dividing like crazy so thats another job I have to do and then put them back in the ground some place. Got a back up in the GPS with those.

Ima wondering if cannas would winter here? I see so many of them and surely they do not dig them up...Jeez, some of the beds of them I have seen that would be a major undertaking...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #8126977

rip dat tree out huh!!! Technically we're not allowed to pull out any tree down here without planting another one to replace it. People still do it though. There's also a list of trees (non natives) that we're no longer allowed to plant.

Most likely the cannas you see there are planted as annuals or they dig them up and replant the bulbs in the spring. Generally speaking they're only hardy to zones 7 and higher. I just added a new one named Canna "Australia". It has dark purple/almost black foliage and the blooms are red. Quite different.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8126985

I just opened this thread on the cannas...annuals? Hmmm awful large plant for a annual!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131784/

I am in aw of this plant Its really quite stately!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #8126987

We have lots of trees.. volunteers for maples, oaks, poplars... weed trees actually
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8127022

Nice Canna Blossom. I'm pretty sure the one you have is named Canna "Cleopatra". That variety immediately came to my mind when I looked at your photo. When I double checked it online, I believe I'm correct.

LOL You Northerners grow lots of our tropical plants and grow them as annuals. A Canna is just left it the ground down here and they bloom 12 months of the year. If your Canna is in a pot bring it inside and see what happens. If it goes downhill, then chop the plant down to ground level, dig up the bulb and store it in a cool dry place. You can then replant it in the spring after your last frost date. They are quick growing plants once they get started. There are also very nice dwarf varieties that can be grown from seed. They are the named the "Tropical Series" of Canna Lilies. The colors they come in are red, yellow, pink, white and salmon.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #8127217

Awesome, yes, she sent me that one... so it is Cleopatra! Well, I will try to bring them in but that Cleo is huge! She set seed too so hoping the pods are viable. I am hoping to get more next year. I have I think 4 of them but only 2 bloomed andone is a dwarf... will have to find the pic and post it on the canna thread later today.

Its odd though, so many people up here have lots of them and they seem to "come" back every year without digging... Makes me wonder.

Well, we did not get any frost so I am gonna be digging up some more imps to bring indoors, then need to prune back my baby sunroses. What a job I got going now.. so much to do... well you know the rest of that sentence. tick, tock! tick tock!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8127311

Perhaps people in your area heavily mulch them over the winter and they come back. It's more likely they either remove them and replant them in the same spots or they buy new bulbs and/or plants each year. "Cleopatra" is a medium/tall one. I've had some down here that have grown up to 6 or 7 feet. They consume quite a bit of space here over time, because they keep sending up new stems and foliage continuously. Not likely they will continue to grow inside during the winter because they like lots and lots of sun. Here's a photo of my Canna "Australia" this morning. It produces bright red blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8127644

Well thats very pretty! I hope to get some pretoria and some pink, reds and whites, whatever flowered. Im game to try them.

So whats your opinion.. someone said let the frost hit them, let them die back and then bring the pots in to a cool place. I think I can do that in my crawlspace, but will have to bait for mice down there. EEKS. derned things are thick this year.

I have been back and forth to the aGPS and Cutting bed moving spring bulb pots and then running imps back to the house porch. I'm pooped!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #8127855

Sounds like a good idea to let the frost hit them and then store them, pot and all, in a cool place for winter. They're hardy down to Zone 7, so they obviously can handle frost and somewhat cold temps. It's the extreme cold that occasionally happens in Zones 6 and lower that are probably the issue with leaving them unprotected all winter. "Pretoria" looks nice and very similar to the "Tropicanna Gold" Cannas they sell year round down here at the big box stores. There's a green and white variegated tall Canna named "Stuttgart" that I liked, but I didn't have enough shade for it. There's lots of white variegation in the foliage and it tends to burn if it's in our hot direct summer sun. The foliage is gorgeous though.

I'm mentally pooped also. Just got back from the car auto body shop. Had to go over there and sign a form to release my car. A drunk driver hit me last Sunday and totaled my car. I was quite lucky I wasn't hurt. Gonna have to get a new car in the next week or so. What a mess.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #8127987

Well that stuttgart sounds wonderful. I like varigated stuff! Some places up here have tons of cannas planted in the ground and I have seen one place that has them all in containers...matter of taste and labour I guess!

Man, you got to be kidding me, you got drunks down in Florida? Ha!! I thought they were all up here. Sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok. Watch that whiplash. That could show after the event and much later. Been there done that, still suffering with mine. Nothing worse than a compounded whip. Why people gotta do that to themselves is idiculous. They say what is it 2 in ten are drunk or dopers.

I still am doing bulbs and movinghouse plants working my hoofies to the bone.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8128778

Yeah, we got drunks and this guy caused a 4 car accident. Two other cars were hit and 3 of the 4 cars were totaled. It's a miracle nobody died. There was glass, car fluids and dislodged tires laying on the road. It was my first accident ever. It happened at the main intersection leaving this neighborhood. There's no way to avoid that intersection so I'm still a little anxious when I drive by there each day.

Yeah, there are some wild Cannas Blossom. I think the most bizarre one I've seen is called Canna "Phaison". If you like LOUD bright variegated foliage you'd like "Phaison". I'm sure most everyone would either love that variety or absolutely hate it.

Couldn't do anything outside today. Just non stop rain from Tropical Storm Nicole. There was no wind at all. We might have had a wind gust to 10 mph. LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #8128800

Man, that is something. 4 cars. We have had a few infront of our house living on a highway. They have crashed my fence, flipped, dipped and hit and run. People are so stupid drinking its discusting. Had a stupid one try to run us off the road. Yano, if they want to do themselves so bad...makes ya wonder. Geez.

I had one accident in my younger days, flipped a vehicle, but I avoided hitting a kid on a bicycle as he darted infront of me as he ran a light. I am soooo very glad I did not hit him, but I went over 1 and half times. To this day I hate roller coasters! ACK! And that was back int he 70's so I know what you mean about getting anxious. Just relax...you will be fine.

I played outside much of the day. I still have stuff to pot up...I never dreamed I had so many bulbs in less than 10 pots and so far I am not even half done thinning them to 3 bulbs to a can and got about 25 nursery cans! I got the increase there boy! *G*!

Well, here is one of my sedums.. man this head is huge, must be 7-8inches across!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8128803

Another sedum... I like this one.. I think the big one above is Autumn Joy.

This one might be Rose neon or something like that, I really dont know and am guessing.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #8128805

Had a strawflower boom... I hope I have more, but only saw a couple more plants and they might not make it through the frost before they bloom.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #8128807

my "pank" Endless Summer... I was disappointed in it.. first off, the ph is wrong for it, the flower should be blue so I need to adjust that. Secondly, it seems unhappy where it is as I only had ONE flower on the whole bush! But it was pretty anyway!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #8128813

I think this is an aster frikharti, but its too rangy and wild looking so could be several generations out or perhaps just a wild variety.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8128815

Some of the containers I humped to the house... yup, filled one plant stand.. guess I need to get the junk off the other stand to load my imps tomorrow...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8128816

That's a nice Sedum. I tried one of them for the first time this year, even though they're not meant for our growing zone. It grew well all summer and it's bloomed, but it is real ugly. The blooms look like they were burnt from our tropical sun. Guess I'll just leave it alone and give it another year. I told that sedum "I'm gonna give you one more year to behave or you're outta here" LOL

You're taking bulbs out of pots and putting them in to cans?? Why? I'm totally confused. They're overcrowded or something like that?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8128820

Bingo. My Sedum is "Autumn Joy" also, but it bloomed like "Autumn Misery"
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8128821

Need to prune these baby sunroses...anyone want the cuttings, speak now... Im open to trade them off and they are easy to start...

I also found some pot marigolds (calendulas in the cutting bed.. will post them in the Marigold thread...)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8128834

Oh poor you!! My sedums did great I have matrona that dos fair... it took awhile for it to get established... they like pith poor soil and dry...but yeah, they can be ugly at times!

Yes, they were over crouded and had to be divided... on that garden we mangled yanking out that maple bush... we left destruction in its path and there were spring bulbs that I put in nursery cans years back and they got rumped up in the process of the tree removal, so we yanked the cans out and they had multiplied so well they were actually busting the nursery cans they were originnally planted in so I thought to yank all of them in that bed and man, I have a haul to replant. I sink my daffs, hyacinths, lycoris and the like in one gallon pots and leave the rims showing just a hair above the dirt line so I can easily lift them in the fall when the time comes. It recycles alot of my nursery pots too!

My last rose of summer...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #8128857

Give me that rose!! They don't do too well in South Florida. They're pretty good for one year and then very few blooms after that. Only have one hybrid tea rose left. The others were dug up in the past two years.

Why do you have to lift those bulbs that are in the one gallon pots in the ground? Don't most people just plant the bulbs and leave them in the ground year after year?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8128898

That rose is over 50 years old! I have no clue what variety it is, its sort of a longstem. Has another bud.. so soone the first rose of fall will be upon it! Um, sorry its not mine for me to give, its had. If it sets a hip, you can have that though.. I will have to watch it as it does not always do that! I cover that thang every winter. Got two pank tea roses, another viney rose that are also heirlooms and then another climber that probably is old, but I cannot verify it. The rest I know as they been in the family for that long if not longer! Normally I dont do roses, but these have been inthe family so long adn they are all the ones I will do. I tried others and kilt them.

Id plant those spring bulbs direct in the ground but the moles and voles like to dig around them and kill them so they all go in cans and it just makes it so much easier to find them whe its time to thin them out and spread the wealth! The cans deter the monsters! When I say can, its those plastic nursery pots... one gallon or othersizes!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8129325

started a seed saving thread...
go here if you want to join on!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1132079/

the imps perked up.. maybe if I get time today I will prune them back to bring in the house.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8129413

my banana peppers for fall! Pretty colorful...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8129429

Nice. Lots of stuff still thriving up there. From your photos you wouldn't think tomorrow is October 1st. Had to laugh when the local meteorologist stated we're going to drop down to a cool low of 72 degrees tonight. So many South Floridians think its freezing when it gets below 70. Scary.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8129459

They got no blood! Heck I run around in short leeves until its nearly 45 here! I did quit the shorts though...

Heres that rose again... it flattens out huge!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8129482

Nice. The only rose I have left is Hybrid Tea Rose "Tahitian Sunset". Just can't get rid of it because it's so fragrant. So many of the newest ones have had the fragrance bred out of them.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8129617

heres matrona...sorry about the weeds... LOL! Somedays the balast of the garden gets that way especiallythis time of year...

Was gonna post the pink tea rose but ran a much in technical difficulties so its coming.. and so is Christmas.. but anyway, matrona is a leggy critter. It is the kind you need ot put in a zeriscape. Autumn Joy and a few others make great hedges, but matrona is a pill.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #8129628

Ok, heres the pinky...first rose of fall...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8129652

Thank god for the Helenium. They're doing a good job of hiding the "Autumn Misery" Sedum that's behind them. Just pruned quite a few of the brown blooms off the Sedum. The Helenium's look nice in bouquets for some added height.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8129741

NAS~!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #8134308

HEY GANG! Just running in quick before I'm off again.

Here's my first Oct. Blooms. I call it Audrey II. Not even open yet and the bud is HUGE! I'll post pix when it finally opens.

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #8134487

Oh dear Lord, if thats a stapelia, get it out of the house, it will smell like carrion!

DANGGGG! That thang is huge! WOWOWOWOSER!

Welcome back.. we missed you..

It got ccccold yesterday during the day...thought it was gonna frost so I played mass destruction with the mater beds and yankged green maters until my hands and feet were black.

Then of all things, did we get frost? NOOOOOooo! Well, Im, glad there becasue the loofas are still hanging and dangling! I pulled a few gourds that I thought were hardened to dry, but man I got a ton that I hope I can save. (Go loffa thread see pics!)

I also dragged a bunch of outdoor plants indoors...

Busted humps too moving pepperplants to the barn...

Oh why?

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2010
2:55 AM

Post #8136138

That indeed is what it is but it's still out on the patio...one because it will be stinky when fully opened and two,because I was afraid if I moved it from outside to inside it would abort it's buds. It's still not open so I don't know exactly which species it is yet.

I have most of my houseplants moved in now.

I spent a nice day outside weeding,mowing,cleaning out my dogs pen and putting some smaller wire up so my little chu-who-a-who-a could go out w/ the others and not be able to slip out between the bigger wire that the pen is originally made of.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #8136402

I still have the maters mess to clean up.

Got a light frost this AM and hosed off the loofa and the remaining cherry maters. The cherrys I blanketed last nite and the blankets had fros and my hose was iced up.. UGH. They both are still surviving, but I think I may take some advice and whack the gourds off the vine and put them in the garage to dry them. God I hate to bring them in the house due to their not so pleasant smell.

I have booooocooo cherry maters and most are gareen.

Need to mow, rake and do a lot of fall work yet and got a pile of housework too.

I need to find places to bring my spiderplants in...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #8136409

That reminds me, I must move my Christmas cactus in... It did not do as well as last year.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
2:31 AM

Post #8138597

So many things still left to do.

I noticed "Big Stinky" was open this am when I took Cassy out @4am...will get a pix later
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8138871

Talk about BIG STINKY, GOD was the air quality poor this morning...smelt almost like your Audry, but werst. More like the real thing.

Had a harder frost this AM. The loofa appears to be still safe. Hope to pull more gourdos off and finish cleaning up the mater mess. I got vines laying all about like a mass mater murderer here. Did get several bushels of big materers though.

The cherrymates are still onthe vine yet, but been gettign those as I can.

So far the margolds are doing great and some of the other plants I want to brig in stil nbeed digging and got a pile of daffs to pot up yet.

Place is a royal mess.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #8142338

I spent most of the day,yesterday,trying to weed out what was left of my rock garden. Removing all the plants so I can just hit it with weed killer when needed. I put it in a bad place any way. Down hill so it get's too much water when it rains. I was shock to find sempervivums and sedums still surviving in the weedy mess. Few more plants to rescue and other taken out yesterday to pot up.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8142683

I have trouble with hen and chicks...they always get weedy and eventually croak like we need things croaking around here. I lost all my semps

Been watching the buzzards overhead and looking and listening for timberrattles. The reptiles are looking for nooks to hide in. Should have seen the buzzies the other day... WOW! thicker than fleas. They have thinned out a bit, but still groping around. Will be for days I suppose.

moved my peppers back outside, I think I will just let them go. No room to bring them in the house and they are done putting out. Need to dig more imps though.. those I am havign good luck and want all I canfor next year

Last night was mild and no frost and sposed to get back in the 70s or so I heard.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #8144438

Hi everyone,
Well I am back. All my treatments are finished and I have that whole cancer ordeal behind me and then Steve and I took a fabulous trip the month of September. Now here we are all getting ready for the cold temps.
It has been chilly here in the 40's and 50's but calling for one more nice weekend this one in the 80's so I'll be out there in full garden gear, gathering the last of the blooms and trying to harvest more zinnia seeds.
Got the fountain covered, mowers dewheeled and drained for the season, cabin pipes covered, boat out of the water in the pond, all my tropicals tucked neatly in our bedroom, and still more to do!
Better get to work for now, catch you later.
Candee
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #8144753

Oh praise the Lord Candee! Glad your better.

Been doing shut down chores aroudn here anbd gathering seed too. If you have any spare zinnias d-mail me, I will take all I can get!

Have to get back to the grind so will yak with you later. Just came in from potting up imps and daffs and mowing and for a quick break.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #8146110

Glad to see you back. Hope your health continues to improve.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8159077

Well, been doing fall cleanup, moving empty pots for storage, moving daylilies to plant, bulbs, cleaning trash off beds and more winter shut down stuff.

Need to water the houseplants
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #8159099

Been planting planting planting and more planting down here. Worked on the vegetable garden yesterday then planted the Ranunculus bulbs last night. Put some petunias in the front flower bed and some "Snowball" marigolds on the side of the house. Gonna get some Sweet Pea seeds planted this afternoon. Weather is finally showing signs that summer is over. Low 80's today after a start in the mid 60's this morning. Sat outside with my coffee this morning.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #8159915

I did not have any luck with sweet peas this year.

Got a weird marigold though..

Oh ick, coffee? LOL! cant get past the smell of it.. its not my cup of tea!

Moved the bulb pots out to the cutting bed to get ready to sink into the groound there.

Got boooocoooo clocks out there.

We finished cleaning the big hoophouse. what a mess that was but its near done.. just need to do somethign with that floor there.

Now the GPS is a mess and the pot stash. Moved pots to poth places and well room was tight and just stuffed stuff for now and need to go back to organize those areas...

dug the last of the imps and had only 2 snaps. I dug some small gomphrena to try to bring indoors.. will let you know if they get past the shock.. I doubt it though, I never have good luck transplanting things with tape roots. So, Jon, plant those direct to a pot or in the garden if you do get a chance to try them.

Shot a fungus, a salamander, got in some mums and just piddled around.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8160043

One of your beaucoup clocks huh!!!! I've only tried Sweet Peas once before and I failed with them. Started them too late in the winter. Hoping a nice and early October start will help. Repotted 50 tall snap seedlings earlier in the week. Need to get larger before they can be put in the ground. Have to grow the tall ones myself each year since they only sell the short varieties down here.

Found a nice yellow and red striped mum at Lowes yesterday. Had to buy it because it was quite different from the normal garden mum.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010

Post #8161480

I got in three new mums. Yano, about a decade ago I had a great collectionof mums.. had about 75 varieties. They are a great plant, but I cant get them goign to much here due to the wet.

Here is my white one for this year...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #8161485

I think if I didmums strickly as a pot crop I would have good luck with them, but to do them like I did them at the old farm here.. no way.

I sure miss my perennial garden at the old farm.. but life is what it is.

Heres the new lavender one I also got in

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #8161501

Those are very nice Blossom. I'm thinking I want to try some of the super duper fancy mums next year. I'm not all that confident they will grow/do well down here, but you don't know if you never give it your best shot. Beautiful evening/late night here. Clear and calm with temps now in the upper 60's. Lovin it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8161523

Thanks!

Mums are heavy feeders.. dont like having their roots wet in the winter.

The ones I had in the old garden were done in rows and we let them get tall and for cutting flowers. They were awesome. And they did well there in the ground because the area was just perfect for it

Here, I have tried them on raised beds, but the soil is too poor to raise them and if I get lazy in fertilizing.. well there goes the mums. They love chicken poo! Then the swamp gets them when the tide is in.. so potting them is about all I can do. Although I am comtemplating now taking them to another location here.. but it wil be a pain to keep them in fertilizer.

I have only one of my babies left from my big collection. Its a bronzy peachy colored mum that gets about 4 foot tall or so and a very late bloomer. I need to take new pix of it and also the Belgeain Yellow ones I got from Leo last year. I had three survivors on those in a raised box of around 40 plants or so whatever I got from him last year. Tjose are just opening so I need new pix and they got really tall. One of the plants I noticed had a stem as thick as my finger.. amazing!

Here is a new rust I got in this year.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #8161542

Nice. My issue would be trying to get them to grow and survive in our summer for blooming in the fall. May be next to impossible in this climate. Only reason I may try it is because my other FL brother was able to keep one of his mums from last fall alive. He moved it to mostly shade for the summer and it made it through the heat. Thinking about perhaps buying some rooted cuttings from King's Mums (www.kingsmums.com) next spring and giving it a try.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #8161555

Starting mum cuttings is fun. Kings is a great supplier. There are several out there. You snip, dip and poke in pots or cell flats and whalah!

Myy biggest issue with doing mums too is taking cuttnigs to make those lovely full bushel basket looking plants... seems mine get weird shaped on the pinching.

The ones we had in the garden at the old farm, I would just shear them and they would bloom like mad, but we were not growign them for rounded potted flowers since tose were in rows. But shearing them did benefit them in blooming.

Im with you, you might be too hot, but hey, if you do not try, you have nothing to lose.

I tried bringing some of the mums indoors to the house last year, but the ones I had in pots from last year still have not bloomed either last year or this season.. why I do not know...its been over a year and no blooms on them, but like I said.. no fertilier on them either.. I got lazy. I probably ought to poke them in the ground some where just for grins.

Heres my new buddy.. Sally!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #8161560

Scary Sally huh!!! I've been reading and it DOES sound like mums can be a bit tricky to grow and get nice blooms on nice plants. Just going to "start small" next year and only try a couple. No major money investment on the project. Getting some fairly good success with Dinnerplate Dahlias this summer/fall has given me a little bit of confidence. They had to be planted in no more than 1/2 day sun here or they would croak.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8161585

Now mums do like ful sun though Jon, but perhaps some filtered shading might be your best. Some people use shade nets.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8161892

Now that's a good idea. Could grow them inside the pool gate in pots. That screening filters approximately 30% of the sun. Here's a mum I bought on Thursday in a 12" pot. Not sure what variety it is though.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #8161938

Just make sure to water water water! And fertilize!

Thats a lovely mum there!

Then you need to pinch... let us know how the pinching goes! Im not to good at shaping mums. But when you pinch you could start newbs! Snip, dip and poke!

I did some straw flwoers, but only had one bloom so far. The gomphrenas I planted also did not do too well, I had expected a bigger show of them. Maybe next year some of the lazy seed I plopped inthat cutting bed will germ.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8161979

Will do. I saw some mums with extra large blooms and noticed the grower had pinched two of the three buds on each stem so that the blooms would be larger sized.

I tried planting Strawflower seeds this summer and they didn't do well. They grew and are now producing some buds that will not open. Have a feeling they may not be day length neutral. That would mean I should have started the seeds several months earlier so that initial blooms would be forming during the longest days of the year. Maybe I'll try again next March...or so.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8162030

Some of my straws did not even send up a staulk yet.. I doubt if they will bloom either.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8162035

Had a great crop of watermelons... these were so huge...had to weigh a ton!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #8162039

sedum autumn Joys and a proliferation of a daylily...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8162045

Nice. My first year Sedum "Autumn Joy" was a scary sight. Even more scary than Halloween. The blooms were a burnt brown.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8162056

I remember you saying that. Mine did ok.. just got some in some weedi beds that have some "issues"!

Sometimes ya just cant have your cake and eat it too if yano what I mean.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8162072

M m good. Halloween is cool. Saw a big pumpkin patch set up at one of the nurseries down here last week. Not all that common to see in Florida.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8162078

Its a Pagan Holiday, but yes, some of the decor is cute and I like the stuff geared more to Thanksgiving. Jacko-lanterns are sweet though!

I had a bunch of lil punkins from our punkin patch from the seed from that monster plant I had last year.. it was a down grade in size from the parents. I will be feedign those "kins" to the chickens and will not save any seed.

We had a nice lil bonfire-cookout a few days back. Hot dogs, beans, ham, smores, watermelon. The fire was toasty!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8162477

lil punkins...be about the size of a baseball on up to maybe a softball...the parent was 3 times. I think the chickens will like these!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #8162520

opened strawflower...this is one of those plants that I would love to see open up on slow video petal by petal! That would be cool!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #8162583

Nice. The white strawflower buds always appear to be so gray/almost deadlike before they open, don't they? Then they open open and are very very white. A couple of years ago the deer were stealing my parents pumpkins. They would grab them, by the stem, off the top of their wooden fence. Then they would kick them around like a soccer ball or continue to drop them until they smashed open. They haven't done that again in the past year or two...so I've heard.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8162595

I usually have to smash the punkins open for the chickens toeat. They love it and the yolks are so orange!

We got deer. Have not seen too many yet. Sqwarrels onthe other hand.. they are here with a vengence. The oaks have been spitting acorns out like you would not beleive. First year in a decade we have had to duck while hiking as they soar through the trees! LOL!

Got a few allysums going.. one was huge,the rest were puny.. go figure.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8162795

it is finished...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8163227

Nice. Just a few squirrels here. My neighbor feeds them peanuts and I'm always digging up peanut shells in my flower beds. Lovely.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8163907

Got a hard frost today.. dont know if it harmed the loofa or the maters. I hosed them off again.. so far so good. Just wished it warm up again.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8163970

LOL It will warm up next spring Blossom. Ouch
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8163988

50's is still shortsleeve weather, but pants
40's is getting there.. pants and maybe a long sleeve.. depends how hard Im werking!

That remings me, I better go to the GPS and get my lowly snap and bring her in the house.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #8164398

If I'm working outside its shorts unless its under 60 degrees. Weather is all relative to what you're used to where you live. If we get windchills in the 30's during the winter the national weather service puts out wind chill warnings. Everyone up North would find that very assuming. On the reverse, if we have heat feels like temps of 100-105 in the summer there won't be any heat type of warnings since that's typical weather here.

Better get that snapdragon if shes the only one left. Must be a tough one.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8164776

got one more to dig... just not enough time. I come in to take a break.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #8164934

I hear ya Blossom. The last few days I've been doing "stuff" right up until darkness.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8165032

Ha! I been going overboard into the darkness.. days are so dang short already.

As yuno, I moved a lot of pots indoors. With moving indoors I have had some problems..
Right now, its a mouse in the house that decided to hole up in my pots on one of my trishelf plant stands. ITS WAR>

I broke out the sticky pads.. the critter prooceeded to bury the pad with dirt form the pot. ARRRRGH! Stinking Mickey!

So far.. its three down, I think.. two more to go. How they are getting in is beyond me, but thats life on the sand pit. I know whats causing it.. you think peanuts are bad, try a yoyo doing corn.. no less near buildings.. Jeez the mentality, but I will not go there. this keeps up we are gonna have a plague of rats. STUPID PEOPLE. Then the dang critters gotta find refuge indoors...it dint come in in my pots, the beast slithered under a door or someplace as such.

Its the most mice I have ever had. just irks me.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8165051

Heres that belgian mum in yellow.. I love this mum. It goes from orange to gold.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8165062

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. I wouldn't like that in the house. I can deal with the occasional gecko in the house.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8165145

Well, gurantee u, its not DISNEY LAND HERE. Oh how I could go off on a rant right now. But I am trying to be a better person and not let evil people get to me.

I will take your geicko in trade.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8165244

Disneyland!!!! We don't know nuthin bout Disneyland in FL. We don't use that four letter word after "Disney". Disney World. Ahhh...much better.

I don't think them rodent feeders are evil. They just don't "get it" Blossom.

I think the geckos bent/broke the tops off of a couple of my "Snowman" Marigolds. They always sit on the tops of the blooms and use them as a launching pad to pounce on insects below.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8165259

Oh, them thar rodent feeders here are pure eviel. I would splain y, but, like I said, im trying not to let EVEAL people get on my nerves. 1-2-3-4-5-6...count count...dont want to blow my BPS. Thinking hAPPPPEEE thoughts. Devil, GET THEE BEHIND ME.

Oh yea thats right you is WORLD not LAND... got my states mixed. I was in LAND once.

Loved that haunted house.. whoooo, that was awesome technowlogee! NEVER EVER doingthe coaster again though.. NOPE NOPE! Not my idea of fun.

I want to swim with porpusees one day. Now that to mee is COOL!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8165376

That would be fun. My favorite water experience was snorkeling in the coral reefs off of Singer Island by West Palm Beach. It was like snorkeling in a tropical fish tank.

You better step inside the GPS if you're gonna blow your BPS!!!! LOL

You have to take out a second mortgage to go to the theme parks at Disney World these days. A daily pass is $74 for Florida residents and $82 for everyone else.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8166535

HOLY C! That much??.. make that a third and fourth mortgage if ya gots kids, jeez, just how does anyone stay alive these days.

Ok, jon, we better get back to gardening.. we dont want the Admins to bounce us again!
(Dang, that BP reading was over the top and usually I am low low and Im talking blood pressure not yuno whoos~!)

Pitter pat. pitter pat.

Speakingof PATTY, whar is she?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8166543

Don't go there Blossom. No looking in the rear view mirror. Patty's probably been outside lots lately although I do feel here lurking in the background. I can sense it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8166595

Onward.. forward...no turning back no turning back...over the river and through the woods.. to Patties hollow we go.. HEY PATTY.. crawl out of that punkin and show yerself!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8167511

JON, shes not coming out of there, I think shes stuck.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 21, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8167574

Maybe she's getting a jump start on trick or treating, hunting down Reese's dark chocolate. What are you gonna dress up as for Halloween??? LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8167599

Hey...this is my costume! Frizzled hair, green paler, dirty hands, dirty feet,what more do you want!

Yeah, I been hunting for those dark chockies for me, ... a-hem her,but , slurp,. for sum reason cant find them...

Last I heard she was hunting down her favorite box of goodies.. shes gonna be roy-al-lee mad if she cant find.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #8174836

Well, just brought over a wheelbarrow full of loofas to put in the GPS to dry. Hopefully they will and I wil have my sponges!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8175286

Interesting. Sure glad I asked what loofas were a while back. I had no clue until you told me.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8176089

Loofas...go here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118075/

Well I yanked a bunch more of cherry maters, and worked on the almost last of the big maters. Planted some pansys and sunk some spring bulbs in the dirt along with putting punkins out for decor
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8176178

Pansies...oh yeah! Dang, I should have got more, but...I only had $10!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8176236

Love em. Been hunting for pansies down here. They should be coming out in the next 2-3 weeks.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #8176270

Tomorrow, looks like I will finish going after the rest of the maters, the peppers, and some marigolds.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #8178829

Boo!

I can only find giant swiss in yellow here at our stinky Wally World. I don't like the giant swiss and why in the world would they only have one color of pansies anyway?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #8178951

Only ONE color? That is weird! Well, Wallyworld has gone down the tubes hasnt it.

I go tmine of all places at Al's... Told the people there, what was the special occassion because usually I cannot afford SCUWATT there. They had 6 packs that were huge with 2 plants in a hole for $1.97@.. got 5 of them. Deltas mixed colors. If they make it through what is predicted to be an ungodly cold winter, I will be shocked. Heck I would be shocked if they make it through a mild one, but say la vev!

Still stripping the loofa vines.. was more work than I anticipated so dint get the maters or the marys finished no less any peppers.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #8180928

just as well...all my loose change is going toward my haunted house
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #8183084

This mum is from the old farm.. one of my only remaining of the collection I used to have of 75 varieties. It gets 4 feet tall and is a late bloomer. I wish I could remember its name. Gonna have to look at my old haunts for mums were I used to get them and try to ID it.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #8183327

I like it. Especially like the multicolored big bloomers. My store bought one has filled in with blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #8184326

That, Jon is a very handsomemum!

Oh Lordy! I got more pansys.. they dropped the price to 92c for the 6 pak and the paks actually have 2 in each cell and holy moly! Im happy.. wished I could have got more...

Photos to follow.. it was to dark when I got them home tonite..

I have a beautiful array of colors.. pumpkins, yellows, whites, purples maroons.. and more. I think ever color the Delta series offers.. Hope they survive the winter. Im not bringing them in.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #8184554

OMG! I'm so tired this am. Decorated non-stop from 9am to 5 pm. yesterday. Still some tweeking to do them we're ready for all the lil maggots to come calling. Garden club brought SO MUCH candy and we have a coffin full of trinkets with a big cardboard box full to spare.

My butt's gonna be dragging for real tomorrow morning.

P
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8184633

I always buy way too much candy and end up gaining 10 pounds. This is a Hibiscus bloom appropriately named "Misbehavin" watchin over the candy this morning. Don't mess with "Misbehavin" or you'll get the trick instead of the treat!!!

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #8184639

Finally found the first pansies of the season and bought a few on Thursday. These are "Delta Pure Light Blue", "Delta Pure White" and "Delta Deep Blue With Blotch".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #8189030

LOL, Aint misbehavin here... Planted some more pansys...

I have to look at the labels again, but there were some other kinds there that I did not try before... all I can remember is Pumpkin Pie, Wine and Cheese and some were Delta while others were Colususs (sp)...will have to take some new pix tomorrow. Pumpkin Pie had a mix of whites, pumkin, pumkin with blotches andWine and Cheese had a maroon, blue and a cream. There were a bunch of others so I guess I will post them to the Pansy thread since there are quite a few but will be doing that tomorrow.

Cleaned the chicken coop out and the horse shelter and had some manure. I have "green tea" for the mums from the chicken coop to dump. They will ove that.
\
My big Cleopatra canna sent its last bloom on the weekend. Ihave been pampering it by bringing it in and out, but tonite, its staying out. Maybe it will get frosted.

Yanked the last of the gomphrena..only have some white and pink and no quality so the seeds probably will be infertile.

Need to clip my zinz.. there were a few...very few...whaaah!

Well, so far so good, no more meeces.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8189280

You'll have to take that Cleopatra out of the pot, cut the foliage to the base and store it inside for the winter. Unless you're not into doing all of that work that is.

Yanked out all my zinnias a few weeks ago and planted Texas Bluebonnet and "Pixie Delight" annual Lupine seeds. They've germinated pretty well.

Here's the first blooms on the "Chocolate Royale" Salpiglossis plants. Have some "Kew Blue" Salpiglossis also but they are slower growing and don't seem to be as strong a plant as the chocolate colored ones.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010

Post #8189545

Thats pretty!

On my Cleopatra.. someone said wait until after it frosted.. it has yet to die back, can I cut it now? I probably have to divide it.. I am sure it tood the container to the hilt.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 2, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #8190015

I'm guessing you could wait until the foliage dies back from a frost. Wouldn't want to leave it outside much longer after that because the ground would begin to freeze and could damage/kill the bulb. Would think you would have to divide it because they multiply and spread very quickly. They can double in the area they consume down here just in one year because they never stop growing and sending up new shoots.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8190037

Awe man! Well, I guess I will have to do something soon! Usually we have been frosted by now to the hilt, but it has been a long Indian summer. Infact, hostas that I mowed came back...some daylilies are still blooming too!

Going out to "shoot" my pansies!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #8191871

The canna got frosted yesterday.

I took pixs of a bunch of flowers, sorted seed, did a bunch of marigolds.

Will post pics later today of the panisies and marigolds etc.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8192235

Ok, I posted this post before and it keeps glitchen...

I ordered ZT & M's papercatalog today.. cant wait until it arrives.
It is on line though here...amazing selection! But pricey.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/

Heres the canna now.. it frosted... time to whaack it down and unpot and store...now, jon, how do we store these?

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #8192698

The Thompson & Morgan catalog came in the mail last week. I ordered a couple of things from it. One of my favorite catalogs because it always has some unique and/or unusual things. You should consider trying some of the "Tropical Series" Cannas that can be grown from seed. They are shorter Cannas (2 feet or so) but come in 5 or 6 different colors. Unfortuantely I don't see them through Thompson & Morgan. I know Park Seed sells them, but I only see a couple of the colors currently available.

I'm not sure how you store the Canna tubers. They grow year round down here and can be left in the ground. I would assume you store them in a cool dry place until your last frost date in the spring.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #8192716

I got T&M email yesterday so I ordered their catalog. I usually get it. I like the different things they carry. I can get lost in that book! That and Bluestones.

DIRTYGIRL said she was gonna send me some more cannas in the spring. I cant wait! She said she had some pink and reds. There is a canna thread.. I will bring up the link.

My last Stella of fall! Wow she hung on this year!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #8192884

Here is the canna thread...

Edited for correct thread link.. (I gotta quit reading the news!)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1050246/

My imps are blooming like crazy and I just pruned them.. will have to cut them back again. Sheesh!

This message was edited Nov 3, 2010 3:55 PM

This message was edited Nov 3, 2010 3:59 PM

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8192913

Another rose bloomed...dare I call it the first roseof winter? We had a realllly hard frost today, the hoses were froze as were the tops of the horse water buckets... was wearing gloves outside all day!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #8192916

Snowball bush! (hmmm I think my lense is dirty, ut iot s kind of a nice pink anyway! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8192925

The white mum, after the frost...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8192931

The yellow Belgian mum..

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8193125

NEW THREAD.. going here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138996/

Same header as thisone.. sorry about that.. it should have said #12, but
OLD BLOSSOM glitched!

(Maybe the admins can fix it? *beg*!)

This message was edited Nov 3, 2010 6:54 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America