THE GPS 11 - The Glorified Potting Shed

(Zone 5a)

Well we came from the GPS 10 and now, moving on we are on the 11th GPS.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103915/

Heres what the jungle looked like after the clean up this summer.. um, I still think the GPS mess needs a pruning! seriously! Man this summer things have been growing FAST! Just cannot keep up with it!

Now about that gomphrena Jon.. where were we?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow. I love your perennial Phlox Blossom. That's another thing that won't do so well down here. Very envious here.

(Zone 5a)

Its of jurassic proportions here...! Sadly now it is gone to seed and I need to get harvesting. I keep spreading its joy every where here. It smells soooo heavenly too and a great butterfly berth! I tried it on the prairie.. so far no go except for a few. It should get goig ok, just may take a couple years.. The wild pinks do great as do the sand phlox so im looking forward to it!

That yellow is a heliopsis and the orange is tigerlilies.. the lililes dropped their bulblets already and I dint get a chance to grab any.. so I wil have more coming in the garden, but that is ok! They look cool with the phlox.

My DL guru has a really pretty shocking magenta phlox that is about half the height of my talls.. im like gimme those hoping they will cross and go tall in that color! That would be an awesome bloom!

.....more hens and chicks here.. LOL!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Blossom - it's been a long time since I have visited here. You do have an impressive stand of phlox. If you have any extra seeds, I would love to try and grow some here.

My main project this year is to get rid of some of the lawn and make a few new beds. I have very limited growing area - unlike your acres and acres. Hope you are well.

Dianne

(Zone 5a)

Hi Di! thanks.. we are haning in there..

(Zone 5a)

LOL, looks like my "g" is hanging up on me.... thats hanging in there Di! Well long time know see! Hope things are going well. Its been an insane year for us.

got some new plants in the last couple days...heres gazania.. I think I spelled that right!

There are several in that pot.. looks like it had an orange bloom that was recenlty spent.

(Zone 5a)

Verbena in red....

(Zone 5a)

Spiral rush

Yep, you spelled it right. They're popular plants here that act as perennials. They don't bloom much during the summer, but do well from October-June.

(Zone 5a)

I hope it reseeds! Maybe I will bring it indoors....

Pretty peach dahlia... I love this color.. its sooo soft! I kinda wish I could have got a bunch of those.. they would look cool with pumpkins by them! But was only one.

(Zone 5a)

This hideous thing! LOL! Sorry about the blurr... its a petunia

(Zone 5a)

I hope that butt oogly tunia sets seed...LOL!

Bat plant... cute lil thing, but I thought the blooms would be bigger...I must be thinking of another batflower.....

(Zone 5a)

minus helichrysum... um, the white flowers are a different plant...!

(Zone 5a)

Here is the white flowered plant... Abunda giant white bacopa... this one is very populare in hanging baskets up here

(Zone 5a)

Mosquito plant or otherwise known as citronella.. this one is varigated....

I was at first drawn to this plants "slight" aroma....until I carried it in my arms close to my bossom with an arm load of other plants.... and by the time I got to the register I was totally nausiated! LOL! Then it stunk my clothes up and skin and ugh! I can see why no bug would like it! People were avoiding me too! LOL!

(Zone 5a)

Colocasia, when I was checking out a fella come up to me and said put these in water...they like their feet wet so he was trying to explain to me what to do and well, I need to find a pot that will retain water so I can winter these in the house and enjoy them..

He said he took his and put a bowl in the pot they were in and put gold fish in the bowl....hmmmm now he has my poor brain reeling on a display for them in the summer next year if I get them to survive!

Oh no no no. I tried those "Pretty Much Picasso" petunias also and ended up chucking them. Blooms were small and the growth on that plant is just weird. It just seems to sprawl in all kinds of directions. Now that last plant (Elephant Ears) is a pretty popular tropical plant down here. They can get very huge, with enormous leaves, after a few years in the tropics. Not sure how well that it going to over winter inside.

Like that Dahlia Blossom. Very very nice form and color. Hopefully many more blooms will be coming on the plant. Decided to plant some dinnerplate dahlia tubers down here and give them one more try this summer. Failed miserably on the first attempt a couple of years ago. Did some online research and picked a few varieties recommended for the deep south. This is Dinnerplate Dahlia "Lavengro" first bloom beginning to open this morning. Hope it ends up looking nice. Pinched the plant two or three times while it was growing to get a better branching habit. Took a good 3 months to grow from tuber to first blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And this one is a 12-18" inch tall Dahlia named "Eye Candy". It's a Dahlia put out by Proven Winners that I bought back in May.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Got some watering done this morning and picked and killed some weeds and yanked tares out of the one daylily patch.

Picked maters, filled my jugs with water for fertilizer, took out the trash and did a few other pidditily things.

Oh that dahlia of yours is too weird!!! Looks like a rud! I dont normally do dahlias, but I liked this one and for 99c.. well......couldnt go to wrong if I had to winter one tuber over!

Guess ima gonna have to pich that tunia... its foliage is difernt!

I finally found a hole-less pot for the elephant ears. I might have made a mistake in getting 2 if they get too big...! Testing it for leaks as we chat! LOL

This is licorace plant...

(Zone 5a)

Candy corn plant.. complete with little trellis! Ha 99c, buy 2 get 1 free.. such a deal.. the pot though did not come with it.. had to transplant it already

(Zone 5a)

Got 5 of those.. they will look cute with my pumpkins later!

poked some strawberries in the strawberry urn....

(Zone 5a)

Ok, so the pic of the strawberries is cockeyed.. LEAN!!!! LOL!

Heres the colocascia in their pot... I am wondering how big they are gonna get...they are not the elephant ears....time will tell.... they will go in a west window when they come inside.

I'm not so sure about Elephant Ears wanting to be real real wet. They're always sold in containers with holes in the bottom and you see them planted in areas, down here, that would be normal moisture. You don't see them planted in unusually soggy locations. Have never had one...just simply basing it on what I've observed when I see them.

(Zone 5a)

Angelonia....

(Zone 5a)

Well, I am pretty sure they are a bog plant... I will let it dry out thoroughly before soaking it again.. if they seem un happy I will repot them. IN this heat I think they wil dry.. maybe get the plant files link for us to check?

Here is my strawberry tire.. all the lil babies on the rim! One of my tires died back and I am not sure why.. could have been lack of wet... too much shade.. this one is in full sun. Dint get any berries on eithr of them this year.. maybe next time, but this one sure went boinkers!

(Zone 5a)

The gal at the GH said they were not exactly the same as elephant ears..

.......this is merange.. I dint get it.. it was 70% and still $8 at Als... holy cow.. I can wait. But its a good looker!

(Zone 5a)

Group shot, mostly Leos plants..

(Zone 5a)

Musta rained frogs last night! HA!

Did a little reading on Elephant Ears. I guess they like it wet and humid and will grow well if kept damp and not allowed to dry out. They are related to Caladiums. Apparently they do not like extended period of cool weather and I read it's best to bring them inside when they temps get below 50 degrees consistently. If planted outside in Northern climates it mentions cutting the foliage back, digging up the tubers and storing them inside during the winter. You would replant them in the spring when temperatures stay above 50 degrees.

(Zone 5a)

Cool! Well the guy at the GH said wet feet, west window when I bring the pot inside.. so.. will try what he said!

Thanks too for your info.

You're welcome Blossom. Will be interesting to see if you can keep them "Ears" growing during the winter. If they don't work out so well at least you can cut it back and replant the tuber(s) in the spring.

(Zone 5a)

Well, gonna be interesting... Im looking around and going, holy moly, all the plants I might be bringing in again... I must prepare tables and stands! Yipes! LOL!

Oh yes, I remember all your plants inside last winter on those plant stands your DH made.

(Zone 5a)

I wish he had time to make more, but alas and sigh... I will make do....Will just have to get creative!

So have you been enjoying that pool? We had one of those inflatable ring pools. I have not set it up for lack of time and all.

Doing a BBQ sounds like fun.. potluck, everyone brings a dish and just enjoy company of good friends.

Believe it or not I hardy ever use the pool. Went to the beach a couple of weeks ago and hadn't been there in several years. When you live here I guess you get spoiled and take it all for granted.

Last pot luck dinner I went to was in June at the monthly meeting of the local chapter of the American Hibiscus Society. There are two pot luck dinners per year (June & Dec). The last one had the best food and desserts. Fried chicken, ribs, ham, turkey, shrimp, pasta salad, potato salad, salads, cookies, pies, cakes. There was SO much food.

(Zone 5a)

Had a great dinner the other day... thought I died and gone to heaven...sadly though a dear friend had passed away.

Sorry to hear that Blossom. Death sucks.

(Zone 5a)

Well, losing someone from this world that ya love hurts, but ya just gotta have faith. Yano, makes a big difference if. And my friend had BIG faith so yano Jon, that makes things all right. Shes sitting there with the saving grace and thats what counts.

The "Lavengro" Dinnerplate Dahlia is, just about, fully open this morning with a few more blooms and buds coming along.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Oh verrrry nice. Seems my dahlia took a header.. I think a stray cat knocked it about. Grrrrr....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.