Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Pruning abelias

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8027271

Can anyone tell me the best way to prune abelias. These have grown and covered a great deal of the diningroom windows. I would like to keep them but open them up so you can see the house and windows.

Thumbnail by bobyrd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8031309

Holy cow! That doesn't even look like Abelia! The best time to do major pruning will be next March when you can take the plants down by up to half. For right now it would be okay to prune them back by a quarter. You can even use electric shears if you want to. Abelias are pretty hard to kill and recover quickly from shearing. If you want a more natural look you could remove individual stems manually but it would take a while.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #8031508

That is awesome! I copied a page from a library book "The Pruner's Bible" and for remedial pruning, if an Abelia has gotten out of hand, in spring cut stems to 6-8 inches above the ground and in summer remove up to 1/3 of the weakest and thinnest shoots to prevent overcrowding. But you probably don't want to do that, so I think plantfreak has made a good suggestion.
It also says the best time to prune most Abelia's is in early and late spring.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 12:22 PM
RottedRoots
Marshfield, MA

August 15, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8041206

I took a CHAIN saw to an Abelia and an out of hand Wieglia(sp) and they laughed at me and took off from the bases like no tommorrow and I didn't miss a bloom.

I hacked them late winter so I'm very surprised the pruners bible says in early and late spring. It's the pruner's bible so they must know. Do not be afraid of your loppers!!!!!! Loppers and saws are your friends. Smile.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8041232

The "best" time to prune doesn't necessarily mean it's the only time you can successfully prune something. Plus late winter and early spring really aren't all that far apart from each other, so if early spring is one of the best times to prune, it's not surprising that late winter would have worked fine as well (the caveat with pruning too early is it could stimulate tender new growth that could then get zapped by frost, that's probably why spring is the recommended time rather than late winter).
RottedRoots
Marshfield, MA

August 15, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #8041244

I think if I was to prune my weiglia in late spring I would lose my blooms for the year but what the heck..No guts no glory.
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8041975

Ok I am getting out those pruning shears first thing in the Spring and having at em!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America