AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8027523

Thought it was time to move us over onto a new thread.

We came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1113257/

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8027571

Thanks for the move Ann .. how did the recitals turn out re the 'heat' ?

Busy weekend here .. winding down and heading for bed .. 5am comes MUCH too quickly !!

Hope everyone has a PERFECT upcoming week :-)

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8027604

Got lots done today and was a beautiful day. Have a hard time staying inside when it is nice out. Spend too many days inside in the winter. So the bedroom didn't get painted this weekend - maybe next. Fellow came and looked at the deck, he call tomorrow with a quote for me. Nice guy, very knowlgeable and helpful suggestions. Back to work tomorrow best get some sleep now.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8027680

I've been very lazy this weekend - yesterday did some birthday & baby shower shopping, then went to a dinner/party for them last night. Pakistani food... yummmmmmmm!! And the saris were beautiful!
Here some of our group of "ladies only evening" (before the thunderstorm!). I'm "hiding" in the back, wearing jeans LOL
The lady in the right foreground is a co-worker of mine.
The lady in the front holding the baby (her granddaughter, Melicha) is Javaria - the security guard at our building, and the Birthday Girl. It's her daughter Tanya (in the bright gold sari with the burgundy trim) that's expecting her baby in 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 9, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8028703

Ann, thanks for the move...

Susan, love the garb..yep,see you in the background..she's holding a baby, is it hers as well..yikes, she'll be a busy mom..

It's a sunshine day here..rained all day yesterday so got to enjoy the day doing a bit of 'not much' just as I wanted it to be..

Laurie, let's hope he comes up with a reasonable quote for you and you can have it done.

Ann, how are the renovations going, have you been over to check things out?

"M" I was grand dog sitting for the week, pup with a cone on the head so he wouldn't lick stitches, yikes, in the heat we've had Ned must have been very uncomfortable..he was excited to leave with family and although he was a 'dear' it was nice to bet back to normal..

Riley (kitty) left the day Ned arrived..no signs of her, boo hoo, although yesterday morning like a fool I was out doing meow/meow, got so excited about seeing Riley (for about 1 second, soon as he saw Sailor and Missy off she went) that I didn't pay attention to the tail..there is a kitty same size, same look as Riley except a little white at the end of the tail, didn't take time to see if this kitty had white or not..off the kitty went, no signs of Riley..

Wonder is she's teaching me a lesson for having Ned at the house...think next time I doggie sit it will be at their house.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 9, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8028733

Jen, how is Allison May doing? are you settling in to a routine?

I'm sure I mentioned I gave my resignation in a few weeks ago..my last day was to be Friday but Paul (BIL/Boss) asked if I'd be willing to stay on and work from home???? said that might be ok..well, he came in this morning and said he's meeting the telephone company to see what kind of system we could get that would allow me to work from home and yet if I needed time off I could transfer to someone else and they would have full access for transferring/assessments and the likes..so might be a go...yippee..in p.j.'s on blizzard days working from home..of course, I'll wear earings and nylons so I think I'm dressed up! lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8028901

Betty - it's her granddaughter, but the mother (Anum) isn't in the picture...
Javaria is busy enough as a security guard at work! lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 9, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8028912

Good looking family Susan..
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #8029181

Were getting it worked out now, i sleep or hubby sleeps, its getting a bit easier now with sleep lol... Hubby took another week off so reality wont set in till next week when he goes back.. Allison is doing great she started to gain weight back, and she eats all the time.. She really doesn't cry that much for being a week old, she a good baby..

Thumbnail by smurf428

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 9, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #8029251

Oh Jen, you are both too adorable..you are but a babe in the woods yourself...Allison is princess indeed..love how you do your photo`s...
glad hubby got to take another week off, by then you`ll be into a routie..thanks for sharring..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #8029414

Jen - That's a lovely announcement! Great pictures.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #8029417

Oooooh! What a beautiful baby! I can smell the baby powder. If you even still use that now a days.
Betty how lucky to be able to work at home. Wish the bank could come up with something like that. Expecially in the winter - no driving, no cleaning off and warming up the vehicle, no shoveling your way out too early in the morning. Wow! Nice!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #8029868

awwwwwww Allison May is adorable!!
Jen - she's going to be one spoiled princess, don't you think?!?!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #8030353

Thank you ladies.. She really is a princess, and yes she will be spoiled.. My hubby had a 14 year old daughter and he cant say no to her, I think it will be the same with Allli.. Already it seems like every time one of the grandparents come over they have an outfit for her, shes only a week old and has more clothes then room in her closet lol... Daddies gonna have to add another bar for stuff..

Betty - wow I would love to work from home!!! However i wont be returning to work for 5 or 6 years, so i guess i do work form home..

Ann- Those are Beautiful Hibiscus flowers, what are they called?? I have a few hardy ones but never seen those ones.. I have luna rose ones that are close but the leaves..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2010
4:21 AM

Post #8030728

Oh my Jen, what a Precious Bundle of Joy .. congrats to the max and all the best in the coming weeks, months and years .. going to be lots of milestones reached, and, they do it SO quickly !!!

Weather here is oppressive and down right 'H O T' !! 39C yesterday and the same expected today.
TBay just hosted the World Junior Baseball Championship, and visitors from places such as Australia, Japan, Korea, Argentina etc (hot spots shall we say) were amazed that a city in Northern Canada had temperatures such as the ones we had during the games. In fact, some tourists brought WINTER clothing .

Have the Weather Channel on right now .. WOW .. Calgary got shmucked again .. heavy rains and hail .. hope anyone on here from there had little to NO damage.

Off to feed the puppy ..

Take care all

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8030750

Jen - I'll look in my book and see if I kept the tag for the Hibiscus. My main focus is hostas and I don't bother with names of most other things.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 10, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8031032

Jen, don't for one sec not think that being home raising a child is NOT work...the most precious and fulfilling work there is..just wish I had been able to stay home with mine...at that time you were lucky for your employer to give you 2 weeks off and having 2 in same year 1969, could have used a month or so...oh well, we all survived those years!

"M" sure is hot, spend 1 hr. doing my hair this morning, I was outside no longer than 5 minutes and it was straight as a poker sooo have a perm appt. for tomorrow night..at least with the humidity it will turn to curls..so laughing about the visitors bringing winter clothing, guess most years they'd have needed it..

Working from home isn't set in stone yet..Paul's just trying to keep me working..last day was to be Friday so not sure what I'll do..guess I'll have to have a chit/chat with him..

Laurie, how's it going in your neck of the woods?

Fancy, you still sewing for your dog club..friend Liz from Ireland asked if I had any ideas on things their group could make which would help in fund raising efforts..thought maybe those cooler bandana's that I make for humans, saw they had them for pets as well when I was at Kempenfest...
Ann, was cute this morning, the lady who sells adv. for Rock 95 that we advertise with was in with papers..it's her first year in her home, never interested before then with gardening, she says she can't wait to stop into nurseries while on her travels..just bought 2 Hibiscus', said they would survive our winters...she was smilling from ear to ear..think she got the bug..also said her gardens have hosta's so she's impressed with her 1st year results..

Our little town is having a 'show your garden' event in 2 weeks, asking for homeowners to let people come see their gardens..doubt much will be in bloom but think as it's their 1st attempt I might put my garden in..would mean though I've much work ahead of me.

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8031628

Hot in NB today. 32 now with humidex of 35, chance of thundershowers this afternoon. Still waiting for my guy to get back to me with a quote on the deck, maybe tonight. Would like to have it all done before my sister comes on the 23rd. Not much else going on here, work takes up most of my day. Heading outside to the yard now to see what I can do there. Need to fill the hummingbird feeders yet again. Hard to tell but I think I have about 6 of them coming, must be a few young ones there cause they just fight all the time. I love to watch them.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 10, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #8031645

They are adorable to watch aren't they..I wonder if this heat and the warmth of the liquid might not be good for them..I've got to fill mine as well..

Lordy, you've only about 13 days before she arrives, if you want it done before she does maybe you should give him another call..edge him on somewhat..

It's about the same temp here..even the a/c in the office isn't doing what it should..didn't open windows this morning in my vehicle, wow, had to be 150 when I got in it to open them after lunch..thanks goodness we had so much rain in the last 2 days otherwise I'm sure the plants would be laying on the ground...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8033367

Leaving for work early this morning, heard a meow, thought Missy wanted in, hey stranger, it was Riley home after 10 days of being gone and me all but giving up..did the happy dance for sure!

Another hot and muggy day here in paradise...sure wish I was home..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #8033665

How many ways can you say UGGggg !!! Gonna be doing one hecuva HAPPY DANCE once this heat and humidity breaks.
Had an appt today at 11, left at 9 to do some shopping, by the time I got to the appt my hair had taken on a life of its own .. we were to have gotten oodles of rain as well, but, as always, that has not materialized.

RILEY, that little scally wagg was obviously 'living the life of Riley' LoL .. glad to hear the pusser is home .

Had a bear pass through this morning before I left .. guess the heat is bothering them a lot too .. I keep my distance at all cost ..

Guess I should DO something .. or .. maybe not :-)

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8033679

too hot 'm' to do anything, sit and relax..wind came up earlier and felt like rain but think like you, it will pass us by..with all this humidity can't keep a curl so am going for a perm tonight, guess I'll have a mass of curls to deal with in the humidity..oh well...

LOL yep, had the life of Riley, let's see now that she found her home again if she runs off or not..I don't like putting collars on kitties incase they get caught in tree limbs etc. but think I'll look for something safer and put a name tag, wouldn't doubt someone has been taking her in as a stray..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #8033958

DD's AC is broken here in Ottawa. I feel for them because all their bedrooms are upstairs, but then ... we'd been married and in our house over 20 years when we first got AC. So maybe I'm not as sympathetic as I should be.

Got into the Food Cupboard to volunteer this afternoon, but have spent the rest of the day finishing up program notes for the Sinfonia concert which will be on Aug. 31. Sinfonia is a summer pick-up string orchestra which comes together once a year and does a benefit concert. Somehow I found myself on their board a few years ago. Need to have the notes done before we head to Vancouver for a few days next week.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8034056

I'm still recovering from 4 days of being Volunteer Coordinator at AAC Agility Nationals out at Spruce Meadows! Lurking but have not got the energy to post!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8034263

OHMIGOSH, broken AC .. ours went out over the long weekend .. am unsure as to how we survived .. I do now know how to turn on the fan on the furnace, at least that gave us some air circulation.

Carol .. were the Agility Nationals well attended ? What breed ended up with the best marks ..
Quite something to watch those events .. can't imagine being the Coordinator.

Betty .. glad you like curls .. I am stuck with them .. sometimes it;s nice cuz it's a quick fix .. but .. at other times I feel like Angela Davis !!! LoL

Did have 'some' rain .. be nice if we had a bit more though.

Off to pick up some parcels at the border tomorrow ..

Stay safe

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #8034285

Had a huge thunderstorm here last night that helped to clear the air. Beautiful day here today with no humidity. Hot but a nice cool breeze blowing. Kind of a sit in a lawn chair and relax sort of day but I had to work. Then took the truck for an oil change after work. Home late and trying to decide wether I should cook or go for takeout when someone showed up with Chinese food. It was great. They also brought cucumbers out of their garden which I don't really need cause I have my own and yellow beans that I am glad to have. Just talked to my fellow about the deck - they are still working on a price! Told him he had better come up with something soon or I am going somewhere else. This is a new company just getting started and I thought I would give them a chance but think I am their first customer and they are not too sure what they are doing. Who knows what I will end up with.
Hope the heat and humidity breaks soon for all you who are suffering with it.
Have to go bring my garbage to the end of the road for pickup tomorrow then get a birthday parcel ready to send tomorrow to my daughter. Her birthday is the 20th - can't believe my baby will be 30!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8034490

M- Largest agility nationals ever- 650 dogs!

Dont know the results - I was inside the volunteer barn all weekend. Sure were a lot of shelties and BC's!

In the area outside the barns we were using was a large pond with a fountain and the dogs were allowed in - they had a ball! Some of them ran and jumped in from half a block away!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #8034519

Had company this evening, medicine lady Lydia..she had me in stitches..up later than usual and I'd starting to nod off but not before I say
night/night
be back early morning to re-read your posts and comment...
sleep well my friends, feel for you all who are dealing with this heat without a/c

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #8034972

From our daily paper :-) Will try to get out and enjoy the fun here .. here's hoping it is NOT 38C+ !!!!

Showing off some agility
DOUG DIACZUK
08/12/2010

Email this article
Send a Letter to the Editor
Printer friendly page

Thunder Bay border collies Jersey and Breeze, which can only be described as little balls of energy, showed off their agility during the National Agility Competition in Calgary on last week, and stood their ground.

Breeze placed fourth in the steeple chase, second in jumpers, fourth in standard, and fifth in jumpers, while Jersey placed second in standard.

Breeze‘s owner, Nancy Laser, said the competition in Calgary was stiff, with around 130 dogs competing in the 22-inch regular division. Breeze was right up there with the best of them.

“The difference between fourth place and first place is a couple tenths of a second,” Laser said.

“So we‘re right up there with the national team.”

“The top border collies in the country were there,” added Jessica Dubinsky, owner of six-year-old Jersey.

“People who are on the Canadian team and compete at the worlds were there, so we did pretty well.”

Laser and Dubinsky are no strangers to competition, having competed in Minneapolis. But to compete in the largest agility competition in Canada was an exciting experience, they agreed.

The decision to get involved in agility competitions was an easy one for Laser, who said she has always had a competitive spirit.

“I didn‘t like obedience but I wanted to do something with my dog,” she said.

“I decided to try (agility) with my first dog Gage, and I fell in love with it because it‘s not about what the dog looks like, it‘s how fast they go.”

For Dubinsky, it was Laser and her energetic pup Jersey that gave her the nudge to enter competitions.

“I had this energetic little puppy and I met Nancy at the dog park, and she told me to come to agility and try it out and I got hooked,” Dubinsky said.

Preparing for Calgary took a lot of hard work and devotion, they said.

Laser said preparing for an event as complex as a national competition requires as much training as possible, which means at least every second day.

The dog owners said positive reinforcement is necessary to prepare dogs for the national stage.

“The dogs are totally naked when they run,” Laser said.

“No collar, no leash and so the only thing you are left with is the relationship between you and your dog, and so it‘s important to keep it positive so that they want to work for you,” she explained.

“That is very important, too, the relationship you have with your dog,” Dubinsky added. “It‘s like you‘re running with your best friend and you really have a bond with them.”

Whether they are training or competing, the dogs seem to absolutely love it.

“They don‘t even need a reward,” Dubinsky said. “This is the reward for them. And you can see how happy they are. Even when you don‘t have a good run, you can see how happy it makes them to run.”

Thunder Bay residents will have an opportunity to see Breeze and Jersey in action Friday through Sunday at Chippewa Park where the Thunder Bay Agility Dogs will be hosting the Canadian Kennel Club Agility Trial and the North American Dog Agility Council Trial.

As it‘s the only local agility competition, Laser and Dubinsky said they are excited to participate and note it‘s fun to be a part of and to watch.

They said they would also like to see the sport grow in the region.

“When you connect with your dog, it‘s almost like you‘re dancing with your dog,” she said.

“It‘s so nice that they just read you and everything comes together in a run.”

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #8034985

Can you hear the BIGGEST UGgggggggggg ever emanating from Thunder Bay !!!??? The air came on at 6am, got up with the dogs, opened the back door and was greated by thick fog and nary a BREATH of air moving about !!
We will all be SO happy when this heat and humidity disipates.

May have to re think the trip south to the border to pick up the parcels. It's only an hours drive, but right along the lake shore, so, the fog will be brutal if we go early.

Hope everyone enjoys their day :-)

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8036305

BLAH .. double BLAH .. ahh what the hec .. make that a TRIPLE BLAH ... we hit almost 39C today .. tomorrow and Saturday 40 to 41C is predicted .. if this isn't Global warming, I do not know what is !!!
Poor folks here in Thunder Bay are actually RUNNING into Lake Superior to swim instead of stealthily creeping into its waters ..

The trip to the border was uneventful .. never seem to get a friendly border guard .. kind of aloof .. altho Lilly did make her smile a bit.

We are having yet ANOTHER stressful day with PIPER .. trying to train him is a chore fer sure .. cute as he is .. he is a little bug*er at times .. can I say that ?
Did manage to get his collar on today, and there it shall stay !!!

Best do a few minor chores before going bunkies ..

Take care

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8036355

Risk of frost tonight in NB. Can you believe that???
Wish I could stay up and watch the Perseid Meteors but it is a work day tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow night, besides it is cold tonight - only 9° now - I have all my windows closed. I could use just a little of the heat you guys are getting. Not seeing a lot of global warming here today.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8036386

I feel so bad ladies, I just cant seem to keep up these days.. I try to read as much as I can and comment but wow theres so much to read...
I and the baby are doing well, not much computer time for me these days lol...
jen

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #8036747

of course Allison (the dear wee one) is taking all your energy and time, she needs to gain all her strength to grow big and strong :-)
Just make sure to get your sleep whenever she does lol
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #8036995

Only 4° when I got up this morning - so we came pretty close to frost. Supposed to be 28° this afternoon though.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #8037306

S T R A N G E weather indeed! I'm with "M" have A/C on, still humid..best we keep quiet, you just got to know what's coming next..Laurie, what perfect temp.'s you are having, warm during the day and yet cool at night..

I walked the gardens this morning and oh boy, all but done, just have to get more fall plants/shrubs put in so I can still enjoy the gardens until snow fall..mums that I planted from containers last year are already in full bloom..almost the only color left other than a lot of yellow..sad time isn't it when the gardens are finished..

You are such dog lovers and so involved in various training, showing and rescue, must give you such a feeling of satisfaction...I've got Sailor and it takes all my time to make sure I play and look after her well...felt guilty this morning, got the paper that came last night and read the headlines, seems they are looking for homes for puppies from the puppy mill they just closed..thinking of myself here when I say no more puppies, hard to travel and not be home..didn't even read the article because I know it would make me sick..some people..where are their heads! yesterday I managed to go and purchase an electric slipper set, going to try and keep Sailor shaven so she doesn't get all matted and pulling her hair out..comb her often but such thick hair on her haunches...

Gee whiz I'm in a glum mood today..

On the good side of things, I looked at the Canadian Tire flyer and they had inflatable row boats reg. $99.99 on for $29.99 trying to get rid of summer stock so I was at their door when it opened and bought some for the grandchildren..figured I could put Christmas wrap on them and there's another less gift I have to go find...

Jen, it's going to take some months for you to get into a schedule with Allison and regaining your strength..doesn't happen in a few weeks that's for sure..post when you can and add photo of that 'sweetie' from time to time..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8037339

Not sure if Canadian Tire flyer sales are same all over, but quite reasonable if you know anyone who may use one...

http://canadiantire.shoplocal.com/canadiantire/default.aspx?action=entryflash&PromotionCode=CaTire-100813ENG1&Flash=Y&AdRef=08131ad&adlocation=HP_mmb_sl_clearance0813_en
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8037615

she looks like shes up to no good lol

Thumbnail by smurf428

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8037668

Wow Betty - quite some savings for a sales hound like me!
I like the camp stove/oven :-) :-)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8037715

Jen
Very cute!!
Looks like she has a green hand already!
Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #8037836

Jen, LOL at that expression. She does indeed look like she'll be a little imp.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8038399

Jen, omg I can't believe how she looks months old..so alert..yep, up to no good...please keep sharing photo's as it will be nice to see her grow up.

Had nothing but company one after the other since I got home..sooo tired, it's off to bed for me.

Still hot and muggy outside, would have liked to shut the air off and open windows but NOT tonight.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #8038531

Here's my new granddog. My daughter got her tonight. She is a Great Dane puppy - nine weeks old, her name is Lola.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #8038536

She won't be picking her up for much longer.

Thumbnail by growum

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #8038721

oh Jen- what a cutie pie she is!! Has a real twinkle in her eye, too :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 14, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8038921

Some SERIOUS pics of ultimate 'cuteitude' in the forum this morning !

Jen, Alison is just too precious for words .. love the expression .. MY Mom would likely have said 'GAS' .. but .. I firmly believe babies DO smile :-)

Laurie .. my condolences ... oooppppss .. congrats LoL to your beautiful daughter and her new 'bundle of energy' .. I have been up since 4am with Piper .. and .. I am missing 2 shoes .. you can believe me when I tell you I am sitting here sipping my coffee with one pic sandlel on and one black one !!! All shoes are now UP from the floor ..
Looking back, I have watched him change almost daily (Piper) .. I know she'll take lots of pics ..

Gonna be H O T and humid here again today .. had some rain yesterday afternoon .. along with the humidty .. uggg .. watched some movies .. Johnny Depp in 'Alice in Wonderland' .. a delightful flick .. and Denzel Washington in 'ELI' .. won;t say much about that one as I think it is a movie every individual comes away with thoughts of their own .. a good movie despite the violent parts.

Not sure what's up today .. laundry most likely .. can;t hang it out as the humidity just dampens it :-(

Take care all .. and .. enjoy your weekend ..

Attaching a pic of what is referred to as 'The Breakfast Club' LoL .. waiting for food to fall at their feet !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8039339

Aren't they all just too adorable..oooh Laurie, as posted, gigantic will be used before too many weeks..lovely though..you just got to love pups..sister was at the house last night and she brought her American Eskimo puppy..he so wanted to get into mischief...

Weather here is hot, humidity I don't think quite as hot, did not turn off a/c though..I'll busy yet not accomplishing much..was into town, ordered some windows for the front of the house and decided after that expenditure I'd best come home and eat peanut butter and jam..no steak for me for let me see, how long? lol sometimes I wonder why I don't have $$$ in the bank but you can't have it and spend it can you..want everything done on the house so when I finally do call it a day re work, all will be done..

Greg and some friends came last night and moved the outhouse-they call it/flower house I call it to the location I wanted it at, all those men, hee hawing about where to put it, you could just see they wanted to set it down and leave...ok by me, so this morning I'm out there checking things out and decide I want it where I want it so push, tug,push -managed to get it a few feet more into the bush..will go out and do a few more inches and then rest...

Guess I should be doing as much as I can outside today because they are calling for rain tomorrow..

What's it like in your neck of the woods...and, are you enjoying the day?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #8039489

beautiful weather here - I'm inside on This Thingie LOL
Guess I should get out... However... I'm also practicing for my solo on the 29th, and I don't think the neighbourhood would appreciate my high notes LOL
I'm going to sing Whispering Hope at our church, and need to get a few rough spots smoother I'm doing a lot better now that my bronchitis is gone, but it did leave me with a few weak spots. You almost wouldn't know I had bronchitis, however I had a smoother voice before. Now with my voice teacher, I'm stretching my abilities :-)
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #8039519

Hot here today. The cold nights for good sleeping are gone and though not humid today will be back with us tomorrow. 36° right now so in the house trying to stay cool. Have crack filled and sanded the bedroom I want to paint so will start that tonight or tomorrow morning. Have a table and six chairs that I am giving to a girl I work with loaded into my truck - just waiting for her to call and say she is home and I will run it out to her.
No condolences for me Marilyn my granddog is in Ontario so will only get to here about the things she is getting into. I don't have to deal with it - I can stand back and laugh about it. We did have a Great Dane before we got Abby so I have a good idea of what she will be going through for the first couple of years. I got to meet her on Skype last night and she really is cute.
OMG Allison is sweet - she looks like she has a wonderful secret that no one else knows and she is anxious to tell.
Careful with your shoving things into place Betty. Sometimes I would like to be just a bit taller and stronger. I hate having to say to people no just over to the right a few inches when they think it is fine where it is. I always have to look at something for a long time before I get it where I want it.
I will be getting my deck done next weekend. Hurray! My sister arrives the 23rd so weather permitting I will have a good place to sit when she comes. Some new lawn chairs will be next on the list. Then I too will be eating peanut butter.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend...Laurie

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8039546

Holy Cow - just found that I'd missed 2 of the previous threads! geeeeeze I get losted easily, don't I?
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 14, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #8040516

This is what greeted me this AM.We are getting the heat too but the house is AC so I'm not suffering.Now for my long awaited Morning Glory.JOY

Thumbnail by agedgardener

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #8040584

wow Joy - I found a morning glory plant has sprouted about 3 wks ago, and today I untangled it from the pansies growing by my deck fence. I found a bud on it! I hadn't planted any this year, but of course they're self-seeding... I think it will be same dark blue you have. Mine are called "heavenly blue" I love that colour!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #8040820

Morning, called for severe storms and possibilities of tornado, we take heed now that we were hit a month ago and it did much damage but it travelled on to someone elses neck of the woods...not a drop of rain..weather warning to day due to humidex, was outside for a few minutes and there is no air and in no time you feel wet..unless things change it will be an inside day for me..

Laurie, glad you are getting your deck done, he must have given you a good price..so laughing, we'll be on same diet for the next couple of months..yikes, expensive doing upgrades..

"M" are you in this heatwave as well?

Susan, promise you, going to get a real phone instead of these hand held phones that do not keep a charge..good luck with your solo...am sure your neighbors would have loved hearing you practice...practice makes perfect right?

Off for breakfast, didn't cook supper last night so tummy is saying 'feed me/feed me..wish they'd keep the restaurants open next door on Sundays, wouldn't cook today either.

Want to go outside and do more work to that flower shed now that it's been moved to where I want it..hidden amongst the bush and trees..did the floor yesterday so am hoping to put up the shelf and the plant seating bench .. Greg has to cut the tin for the roof but I might try that myself..

What are you gals up to today?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8040840

SMILING WEATHER ALERT from Thunder Bay !!! The humidity has broken, the windows are flung open trying to gather every cool, clean breeze. What a treat :-)

Feel for ya Betty .. we had the heat and humidity for close to 2 weeks + ..

Joy .. what a gorgeous Morning Glory .. !!

Making blueberry pies today .. and getting out with this pups a dog so he can learn to walk with a leash .. haven't had him out much in the heat ..

ENJOY

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #8041653

hahahaha looking forward to you having a "real" phone! Only thing is... everyone else is leaving the "tethered phones" for the cordless ones. Are you moving backwards in time, Betty? LOL You just need to get a good cordless, so you can tend to your garden while chatting - do 2 things you love at the same time :-)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #8041785

Hi folks,

We went to church this morning, but I skipped out on the meeting of the Social Action committee after church. Not so bad when church was at 10, but while we are in exile it will be later. 11 am at the church where we are having services over the summer and 11:15 when we go to a different church in September. It's anyone's guess when we'll be back in our own church as they still haven't got the building permit. Demolition, however, is proceeding.

After church we returned a sheet set I bought yesterday to Bed Bath and Beyond. I ended up buying 2 pillow cases which won't match but will blend with the existing guest room sheets. They cost as much as the whole sheet set I returned - returned because I hadn't realized it was sateen. I DID find some small cardboard jewelry boxes in the "Get Organized" store next door - needed them for Viola Society award pins.

Then we stopped by Staples to return two sets of scissors that I had bought for the kids. Scissors now say they are for both left and right hands, but after testing a pair with DGS last night, I realize that w/o the blades being reversed it will be very hard to get precision cutting. It's a visual thing.

My microwave blew up in a cloud of smoke this morning. Only a bit more than 4 years old. All the new ones are about 2" narrower which means we won't be able to use the old build-in kit again. I think it's time to get the cabinet adjusted to have a shelf, but I know we asked the next door neighbour, who is a fine contractor, about that 4 years ago and he didn't want any part of it.

And I've finally finished updating my hosta pictures on SmugMug - http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas-in-my-garden-A-F/7...
I had to update many of the links because one major site, MyHostas Database, moved. also added new pics of all the hostas including all the new ones and some new general garden pictures.

Need to go figure out some dinner which doesn't need the microwave.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #8044584

OMIGOSH Ann .. our microwave is OVER 20 years old !! A Kenmore .. I can put a 20 pound turkey in it to semi defrost if I had to. I am SO not looking forward to the day it 'beeps it's lst beep' cuz they sure do NOT make'em that big anymore. Mind you, the ones now a days are far more energy efficient ..
As always, your Hostas are a delight to look at ..

Lorna's BDay today (Aug. 17th) .. going to be a busy day, what day isn't it seems !!!

Piper is driving ME around the bend and back .. have NEVER seen this much energy in a puppy .. up early, bed early .. and in between on the go go go !! Last night he ran around in his enclosure for close to 40 minutes trying to avoid coming into the house .. I chased him, he hid under chairs and the BBQ .. finally I just sat down and waited him out .. and was it COOL out .. actually had a jacket on !!! I think perhaps he is enjoying the cooler days ..

Hope everyone is doing well .. take care and enjoy the rest of your week :-)

~M~

This message was edited Aug 17, 2010 5:37 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #8044817

Marilyn dont chase him - they just think it is play.

Maybe he is ready to go to school?

How is he doing with the collar and leash? Time to start working on a recall command and you will need the leash to start that one I think.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #8044874

Happy Birthday, Lorna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8044979

Happy birthday to Lorna. Our anniversary too - 42 years but we celebrate last Friday. We always go out to dinner on Friday the 13th - our first date was on such a day and since we are heading to Vancouver tomorrow, we decided to let that meal do double duty.

My microwave is repairable for a bit over $100. Sure beat getting a cabinet maker to turn the space where it was built in into a shelf. That was a MISTAKE in doing the kitchen. Every kitchen designer should be told not to build the things in. They look nice, but when it comes time to replace them the existing trim kits never fit the new models and fewer of the new models even have trim kits available.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8045084

Happy anniversary Ann and Happy birthday to "Lorna" everyone is busy, we feel like getting our more now that the humidity is lower..my dehumidifier though still needs emptying 3 times a day..not sure at what point you should leave humidity in the house...

Trees are swaying back and forth, it's about 25 here today, glorious day..

I was forced to water my gardens last night..lordy, for about a week they kept saying we'd be getting rain but it kept passing us by so finally I turned on the sprinkler.

"M" Piper did think you wanted to play..puppies are so full of energy!

I was up this morning and had to sweep and vacuum and dust..with Sailor needing corn starch put on her 2 or 3 times a day for the sores (pulled out all the hair on her haunches again) it makes for a white mist throughout the house..yuk..but it seems to be doing the trick versus salves..poor girl looks so old and tired...enjoys laying at my feet because I think this old gal (me) is much the same.

Quiet here today, brought in crochet, have a movie on, watching the clock tick..not ticking quick enough for me..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #8045092

Happy Anniversary, Ann!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #8045105

Ann, went through your gardens, particularly like the 'blue shadows'..
Noticed in my walk through my gardens, all the hosta's I have, should re-locate them in a garden all of their own..

On the weekend Greg came over with friends and moved the 'outhouse-flower shed' I was making to it's location, now it time for me to dig out the soil around it and plan, because it's almost 90% in shade, maybe planting hostas will be the answer..could move some of the ones that are crowded in other gardens ... would you divide in the fall the larger ones? most have bloomed...some have such pretty flowers...

I could always put a call out to friends and say, 'bring me a hosta please' lol...will post a photo of the shed..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8045799

Happy Anniversary Ann :-) Hope the trip west is wonderful .. can hardly wait to see pics of Leila she is just too sweet.
GREAT news about the microwave too !!

Has been a good day here .. had a birthday celebration luncheon instead of dinner .. so .. no rush to make supper .. YAHOO !!

Betty .. I have discovered over the past 2 to 3 years that 'some Hosta' LIKE the sun .. there are a few homes in the city that face south .. and have full (and BEAUTIFUL) Hosta Gardens growing and thriving ..

Still having fits over the black bear in the area .. we keep our garbage well locked in the garage and go to the dump (landfill) twice a week if necessary. Thing is .. it's the APPLES .. going to have to start bringing them in I guess .. hate to as they haven't had a frost yet .. makes them even sweeter ..

Off to husk some corn ...

Toodle dee doo :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #8045809

Pray for me sistahs and bruddah... I just got laid off from my job, effective Friday, and they sent me home early today.
My last day is Friday.
Reason is - making a long story long... - Last Dec a big-wig boss was asked to take leave of absence and the co hasn't gotten him back yet (they don't want him, actually). His secretary didn't have that many duties. My boss started taking on his duties, and now he has 2 secretaries (Maureen & I). Maureen has been there more years than I, and she's an Executive Admin Assistant, to my Admin Assistant position.
She "covered" for me while I was on vacation last month, and they're going to tell her that she now is full-time assistant to Dr. Baskin.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8045890

Oh Susan. I'm really sorry.

Marilynne - we won't even see Leila until Saturday evening as they are presently in the Bahamas. But we'll meet up with a variety of friends. Yes some hostas do indeed like the sun and many hostas will take a lot more sun than people think.

Betty - have a look at 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa' and tell me whether you can tell the difference from 'Blue Shadows'.

Got to go to a rehearsal.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8045970

will do Ann, just finished the shed I was working on, hungry so off to get cereal..mad as *&^%, Susan, don't people acknowledge hard workers by keeping them employed..doesn't seem fair does it..hug to you my friend..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8045975

Ann, it's around this shed that I want to make the hosta gardens..does get a lot of light just not full sunshine..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8046124

Jeepers Creepers Susan !!! What a shock and a let down .. nothing I can really say cept I am sorry this has happened to you.
You know what 'they' say ...'.. one door closes, another opens ..'

Oh my Betty, quite the shed .. with my INTENSE fear of spiders .. I;m thinkin it's a good thing YOU have it LoL.

One more OUTSIE with the dogs and bedtime for me !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8046220

LOL, it will be spider free "M"

Finished t.v. bingo, nope, didn't win the $2,600 jackpot.

Ann and Melissa just left, omg can't believe how dark it is and it's 9pm. usually when Ann leaves it's still quite bright..

Can't believe I'm saying this, chill in the air..think I'll turn a/c off and enjoy being chilled tonight.

night/night
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #8046357

Betty I cant remember what is going to go into the shed?

Finally feeling back to normal here after agility nationals. Some nice weather so I have been able to get into the yard and work in a few neglected corners, one or two more to go, probably get at them tomorrow,
Eating carrots, beets, beas and potatoes and have had one large zuchini-saving that to make zuchini pie. Four lovely big cabbages dont know why I plant that many, sure dont need them but I buy them started and they come in a 4 pack! Neighbor Marie will take one and mark cabbage soup. This is the first year in a long time I have not had to protect the veggies from Fancy.

Eye check up this morning, getting new lenses in both reading glasses ( one at time!) first time in several years have needed to change.

Neighbor just came to visit with her new Weimaraner pup- just 8 weeks old. His first official trip from home! They have two adult males and do agility as they will with this pup . Hi s name is Chance. Little thing with big paws!

Weekend coming up is a sheltie party in Morinville( NW of Edmonton) I will drive up Friday , stay with Ann ( annabelle52) Fri and Sat nights and party on Sat, then home on Sunday stopping to visit with a lady who adopted from Sheltie Rescue last year.Don't know how many dogs there will be - maybe 15 or so.

My vets office just donated a whack of dog and cat food ! We dont have any dogs at the moment but a couple of our foster families can use it and the cat food will go to a catrescue group.

Sorry to hear about the job Susan.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #8046422

Betty - what kind of light does that area get? Many hostas will do very well with MORNING sun but will fry in afternoon sun. If the latter, you will need some trial and error to find the right ones or you will need to add some shade. If it's not direct sun, but just light, they would likely do quite well.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8046486

Thank you, Carol :-)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8047714

Susan
Very sorry to hear about the job and I sure know how you feel as "been there" last year. The door thing is very true as I now work for a super company who have helped me realize my last 32 yrs in retail was abuse!
I know you will bounce through this thing just fine. Keep your chin up!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #8047768

Thank you so much for your continued support...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #8048186

'Day is done, gone the sun , from the lakes, from the hills, from the skies ...' Guess once a Brownie Leader, always a Brownie leader ..

A super day here .. weather is as it should be if not better.

Took Piper for his 14 wk check up .. weighs 7# 13oz .. was 4# 8oz a month ago !!! Had his shots .. and all is well ..
Neutering will occur in late Oct or early Nov.
Can see where many folks cannot afford it .. it'll be close to $400. !!!!!!

Trying to decide as to whether or not to have a bonfire .. I have been up for what seems like forever !!!!!

Take care
~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #8048782

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah Marilyn - I was a Brownie Leader and Guide Leader, too.
We could also say:
"When e'er you make a promise
Consider well its importance
And, when made, engrave it upon your heart"

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #8048962

THOSE were the days Susan .. extremely hectic and harried, but SO worth it now when one of 'MY GIRLS' approaches me in a store etc to say hi and invariably show me THEIR little ones .. lots of fantabulous memories.

It's 7C here .. had Piper out with Lilly and sure enough .. there was a skunk about!! Thank heaven their enclosure is just that .. ENCLOSED !!

Carol .. each day 'things' with Piper tend to improve .. vet says the collar and leash episode is plain and simply 'puppy fear of the unknown' .. the collar remains on, and, he is finally coming to grips with the fact that 'LEASH=WALK' outside the enclosure ..

Off to make coffee

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #8049255

Ann, don't think this area would ever get full sun as trees overhand the area..would get a lot of light most of the day, am going to try it..could I divide hosta's now????

"M" that's what I woke up to, beautiful scent of 'skunk' ...was going to call the kitties in but thought I'd best leave them stay where they were rather than encourage them to come to the door and have the skunk spray

It's a beautiful fall day here..nice breeze, calling for rain but I don't trust their forecast anymore, they've called for rain about 7 times in past 10 days and 'no rain' so watered the gardens this morning before leaving for work..

Making 'pocket' bags for Christmas gifts, even managed to get 1 1/2 hrs. of sewing in..did learn my lesson, I work better early morning than in the evenings...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8049259

Good morning from Vancouver. We had a good flight out yesterday, made even better by the surprise of getting upgraded. We managed to find DD's car at YVR and get it released from the parking lot so, while we will mostly use public transit, we DO have the car available. Will pick up DD and family on Saturday evening when they fly in from the Bahamas. Until then, the social calendar is quite full - lunch with friends today. Tomorrow, lunch with another friend to make the presentation of a Canadian Viola Society award and in the evening, dinner with DH's cousin.

Sat. morning, Aunt Alma flies in from Portland to celebrate her 94th birthday here. She travels easily and reckons it is easier for her to get here than for her 92 yr-old sister and the rest of us to come to Portland. DH's cousin will meet her and we'll have lunch with another friend but visit with the aunts in the afternoon. Sunday evening, a large gang of extended family, several generations will get together for the birthday celebrations. Sounds a bit exhausting!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8049267

Betty - you can divide hostas just about any time. Just keep them really well watered. I like to do it in the spring mostly, but only because the plants are easier to handle before they fully leaf out. Just sterilize your tools well between plants to avoid possible spread of disease. Also important to plant them again early enough that they get a bit established before freeze-up. Otherwise you may get some frost heave which can be hard on the root systems.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8049272

You'll need to come home for a rest Ann..omg how exciting to meet with your aunts .. you are so lucky to still have them with you!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #8049619

Ann , that sounds like a lot of fun! I think it's so important to celebrate the good things in life and a 94th BDay is a wonderful one!
Marilynn, Piper sure sounds like a ball of energy so I know he will keep you on your toes for a bit yet. How is Lily handling the O' Crazy one?
Betty, Christmas already , Yikes!
Carol see you this weekend.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8049794

Ann (Annabelle52) I've been working on getting things ready for xmas since christmas..lol..my goal this year is to put my feet up in December and enjoy everything that goes with the festivities rather than rushing about..

Ann, someone told me that just before freeze comes they cut down all their hosta's, do you do the same?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8050474

Betty - cutting down the hostas before freeze-up is NOT recommended. There's so much Hosta Virus X out there (if you don't know what it is, please Google it and/or visit the hosta library site - it was particularly rampant in hostas sold about 5 years ago and still is in those sold at box stores and Canadian Tire). Mass cutting the hostas before they die down naturally is an EXCELLENT way to spread the virus. Since the virus can be in the plants for several years before the symptoms show up, it's too risky. Try to relay that to the person you know who cuts their hostas down.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #8051166

Wow lots going on here this week. Last day of work today then off till Sept 1st. Hurray! Fellow is supposed to come today and start tearing down the old deck and will build the new one tomorrow. Foggy and supposed to rain later on so hope it holds off till he is done.
My new grand-dog went to the vet this week and she weighs in at 18 lbs - she is 10 weeks old. She is going to be a monster.
Went and looked at the hostas - beautiful! really didn't know there was that many.
Sorry to hear about the job loss Susan but everything happens for a reason, I am sure there is something bigger and better just waiting for you to come along.
My sister arrives on Monday. Going whale watching, and a quick trip to PEI so far. Going to be a tourist for a week and I'm looking forward to it. Have decided we will eat out or take out every day - no cooking for a week. Hope she is bringing her visa with her.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #8051496

Always nice to get company so you can showcase your neck of the woods..you'll enjoy her company and the sightseeing. Cutting it short on the deck being ready..lol..unless of course he's a quick worker.

Wow on the grand-doggie, talk about heavy for only being 10 weeks old.

DIL called me this morning wanting me to take Ned for the weekend, nope, said I'd drop into her house 2 or 3 times a day but my Riley went missing for 10 days when Ned was with me earlier in the month..her comment 'so you don't want NED at your house? oh oh guess I'll be in trouble with DIL!

It's sunshine here today but they are calling for rain tomorrow and Sunday..thought I might take a run with friends to the Canadian National Exhibition that opens today but not if the weather isn't co-operating.

Got lots of sewing sitting around just waiting to be done so I'll have much to entertain myself. Wednesday I finished one of the carryall pocket bags, last night another and I've one that needs about 1/2 hr. of work to it and it's done so well on my way to finishing 6 of them..if it rans, then I will be able to...

Would like to do some transplanting though if it stays clear for a few hours...funny how you plant your garden and all of a sudden the higher plants are in the front rather than in the back..so much to do as always..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8051686

Leaving for Edmonton in an hour or so for our annual Sheltieparty! It raind a lot last night and is still cloudy and cool - hope it stays that way for the drive!

Air quality has been very poor because of smoke from BC fires, hearing it is starting to clear a bit. Sure hope so. Jackie will have fun tomorrow if we all have to be in the house - 12 shelties I think plus kids and adults!

Staying tonite and tomorrow with Ann ( Annabelle) so we will have a good garden visit and catch up - a year since I was up there!

Jackie is a beginner gardner, taking her some Iris I have just been splitting and maybe a couple other things I dug up yesterday depends on the car!Seem to need to take a lot of things for the dogs!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #8051727

Have a safe trip..enjoy your get together, omg 12 shelties, do bring your camera along with you as we'd love to see some photo's. Hopefully the rain has ended in your neck of the woods, lordy we pray for rain but we want it to fall during the night only..Mother Nature doesn't work that way does she?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #8052233

My goodness .. all you 'tripping ladies' make me get itchy feet .. but .. with wee Piper about, well .. taking a trip or a weekend away would be next to impossible.
Lawsie Laurie .. Piper is 14 weeks and weighs ALMOST 8lbs and we think that he's a lil 'bruiser' LoL The vet is saying he will be a solid guy ..

Relatives in BC (Summerland, Penticton and Port Coquitlham) are talking about the air quality too .. have friends who flew from TBay to Vancouver to go on an Alaskan cruise .. I would imagine they are seeing lots of smoke as well .. never a good thing ..have been through it several times in this area ..

So .. everyone enjoy the weekend .. rained here today, MUCH NEEDED, and MAY do so as well tomorrow, have a few movies to watch ..

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #8052334

Did you say SMOKE "M", hmm could you smell my supper???

Ann came over and we decided to do a few cement birdbaths which turned out fabulously if I say so myself but why oh why when we kept saying that someone was cooking something mighty good did I not remember I was cooking corn..yikes, even a few kernels popped.

Off to the restaurant, am giving up cooking (can't be good at all things right?) my kids say I burn water and water I do burn..

Try to get the smoke and smell out of the house and see if I can salvage another pot...people wonder why I only have a few pots, should make a sign to say 'pot graveyard' so they'd know what happened to them..

Enjoy your evening..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8052803

hahahaha Betty - looks like something I'd do!!
When you talk about only having a few pots... I totally understand LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #8053245

Oh my gosh Betty, now THAT would have been smokey .. I'm one of those folks that has a LOUD timer, or, I plain don't leave the house when cooking something (well within reason) .. eons ago I remember my Mom's pressure cooker 'taking flight in a spray of pork roast onions and carrots' she was horrified, I was horrified but the clean up of that mess has stuck with me, and the lecture she gave HERSELF as we picked carrots from the wood work .. I can smile now, but MAN was that something !!

Wakened this morning a looked into the closet to the crate Piper sleeps in .. he's usually wagging his tail and looking at me .. this morning he ran UP to the bed !!! Somehow he got the dang door opened, no piddles or 'landmines' in the house (YEAH PIPER) and he did do everything outside once I got oriented enough to get him out there LoL

Not sure what today will bring .. just gonna wing it ..

ENJOY everyone

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #8053248

Done work and off now for 11 days - hurray!
Fellow got my old deck torn down yesterday and will be back soon to start building the new one. Says he will have that done today - bringing 3 or 4 people with him to help. Looking forward to sitting on it.
Abby uses that door a lot and she is pretty confused about not being able to go out it last night. She stands where the deck was and barks to get back in till I tell her to go to the other door. She knows what that means though so that is good.
House cleaning and have to go get a few groceries today then I will be ready for my sister.
Going tomorrow to meet a dog - sitter and see what Abby thinks of him (and what he thinks of her). Have some more time off in September and since my son can't come here would like to go see him. Friends are good to take her for a day or two but she is such a monster they really don't want her for a week. See how this works out.
Sorry Betty but still laughing at your corn. Don't know how many pots I have ruined because something else interesting came up when I was cooking. Do a lot in the microwave now because at least it shuts itself off.
Gotta run - lots to do today. Have a good weekend everyone!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8054166

Hope you have AMAZING holidays Laurie .. seems as though you'll have a nice deck :-)

Been putzing about here .. went to town to try and accomplish something .. met up with 2 buds .. 2 hours later I came home with 2 packages of chocolate covered almonds being sold by the grandson of one ..

Have kind of a neat pic of Lorna to attach .. seems Smokey just LOVES any and ALL of her equipment LoL
In this pic Smokey is being ferried about on her Rollator walker (Piper is on the lawn)

See ya smilin :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8054211

Anxious to see photo's of the deck Laurie and hope Abby takes to him..now where will you be travelling to? Somewhere in Ontario???

"M" love the photo..just too adorable
Don't you love the almond covered chocolates..don't know how many times neighborhood kids come to sell me some; hard to tell some you've already purchased 5 boxes.

Soon it will be girlguide cookies.. we'll have to put a suggestion in to the organizers saying please come up with something dietary.

Still overcast and cool, no rain though..we'll see what tomorrow brings..would love to get out into the gardens and deadhead and move some plants around or maybe a day of lounging seeing as my ribs are sore, not sure what I've done there.

"M" good for Piper..Greg came with Ned tonight, thought they said once he was fixed he'd calm down NOT/NOT/NOT wow he's a big dog to be jumping up on the couch to lick grandma..my furries are glad he's now gone home.

Well tub time and then an early night..rather tired..did enjoy have my Greg come and keep me company, always nice to have a 1 on 1 visit.

Night/night
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #8054317

Sounds like all are busy with company, friends, family and furries. No different here.
Carol arrived while I was off being a Maid of Honor her first memory here on Friday was with my Hubby arriving home and running around in his undies as he forgot Carol would be here then my elderly neighbor who was coming to the wedding too comes in the front door and up the stairs, turns around and her dress is not done up!. Too funny! My DH zips it up for her and off they go to the wedding! Carol must have thought she was in a loony bin.

This am Carol and I had a good visit checked out the garden and her Abby and Bailey fit in just fine. She went off this afternoon to meet up with her gang and will be back after dinner.
Here are my Tomatoe's in Tree mode!
Yikes sorry about the sideways. My computer fixes this and I don't know how to make sure it stays upright on Daves.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8054963

I'm sure she's having the time of her life..always more enjoyable when you are with down to earth friends who don't put on a show..your hubby sounds like quite a character..

How much fun she'll have with her Sheltie friends, hope she brought her camera with her, love to see photo's...

Ohhh now if those tomatoes will only rippen.

It won't be the nicest of days here, overcast, dark/dreary, says it will rain, we'll see

So it's a 'stay in jammy' kind of day, going to finish another pocket-carryall bag - my 4th this week, has 3 more sitting there cut but no lining so they have to wait, but, I can tell you in every corner of my craft room are projects wanting done do I'll just play and enjoy.

What are you up to today?
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #8055033

Another beautiful day in NB today and good weather forecast for all of next week - we'll see how that holds up - I don't put much faith is weather forecasts lately.
Fellow showed up at 4 yesterday afternoon to work on the deck, with no help except with wife ( with a broken bone in her hand ) and his 6 year old daughter. He got the frame up last night - left around 9 last night. Still have all the decking to put on, the railing, the stairs (which will have a landing on them) and a bench. He will be back to finish it today - says he is bringing help with him. He is doing a good job but sloooowly. Promised me it will be done by the time my sister arrives - tomorrow night. We'll see.
Just finished cleaning the bathroom, still doing a ton of laundry. Bought a new sheet set and last night went to make the bed and there is a huge hole in the top sheet. Will have to bring that back but in the meantime my sister will sleep on sheets I already have.
Still waiting to hear from the dog-sitter, he is supposed to call me today to set up a meeting. I emailed him a picture of Abby yesterday and haven't heard anything from him - hope it didn't scare him off.
Have a good day everyone!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8055108

OMG, as Judy (Seedtosser1-another thread) was saying in one of her posts yesterday, it's so hard to find help that show up on time or are willing to work long hours and yet there are so many looking for employment so she's resorted to go help her hubby!

Think the frame is the hardest part, getting it level and braced so putting the boards and railing (if my memory serves me right in the decks I've just had done) it will be quick sailing and you will have your deck when your sister arrives.

You sure are going all out, lol, new sheets and all..your sister will be impressed..don't clean too hard and then be tired for her visit!

Don't believe weather forecasts either...it's so damp today, dehumidifier working overtime.

Hope you hear from dogsitter this morning!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #8055923

DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Piper ATE the USB cable that enables me to upload/download pics from the camera to the puter .. I had thought it was UP high enough .. I was wrong !!!!
Kodak informs me a replacement ia available .. on BACK ORDER for 2 weeks !!! Must be lots of marauding pups a dogs out there !!!

Hope all went well with the deck Laurie .. trust me ... 'been there, done that, wearing the TShirt' !!!
With me it was a company I hired to turn my beds this past spring :(

Glorious day here .. spent it outside with the puppers .. did some dead heading and watering .. been up since 5am so I think jammie time is right around the corner for me :-)

Have a wondrous week everyone

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8055975

Ann actually I never did see Larry in his undies - by the timeI saw him come downstairs he had retreated and put his shorts back on!

Had a lovely visit, got some nice pics of Anns containers, she uses great colored coleus and came home with a few little hostas for the new hosta bed - some from the seeds Ann in Ottawa sent Ann in Edmonton last year.

Our sheltie party was a great sucess, have not sorted out pics yet but will post a coupl;e when I get things in order.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8055997

Thought you would enjoy this pic! What do you think they are saying or thinking?

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8056002

Darn that was the wrong shot! This one is better!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8056065

hahahaha well, whatever shelties and kids have to say is going to be "greek" to us, I'm sure lol The shelties look quite intent on the boys, though :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8056097

Truth is thats because both the boys had some food in their hands!

nothing holds a shelties attention better than food!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #8056209

Marilyn - I actually have a t-shirt that says "my dog ate chewed everything in the house all I have left is this t-shirt".
The pictures are sooo cute. Nothing better than kids and dogs.
Well what a production going on at my house. The deck guy left at 10 tonight. I have most of the decking, and almost 2 stairs (need six). He is coming back tomorrow to finish - again. He is doing a good job but boy he is sloooow. Had his wife here for a helper again and another woman but think they were just here to talk. Poor guy - they just bought as new house and haven't had water since they moved in - couple of weeks ago. They have their yard dug up and found out today it is the pipe going into the house so he was going home to fix that. He is travelling an hour each way to get here. Really don't know why they said they could do it.
Oh well - round 3 tomorrow we'll see how it goes.
Off to bed now - trip to the airport tomorrow.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8056314

hahahaha Carol - and I always thought shelties look so svelte - guess they burn all the food up running around, cuz I know they're pretty active. Wish I had their metabolism!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 23, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8056948

Absolutely adorable..should be on a calendar for sure...glad you enjoyed your weekend

Busy here this morning, always is when it's Monday morning and the boss is in..

Sun trying to come out..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8057229

Love the pics of the kids and the dogs .. nothing nicer :-)
I would have guessed FOOD as well LoL

Just waited on hold for 32 minutes for Kodak to answer as their website is down so I couldn't order the USB cable .. finally got through .. this HST and delivery charges are atrocious !!! Something that cost $14. initially ends up costing $29. !!
Lemme tell ya, I have 'CORD PHOBIA' right now .. everything is UP .. as are our shoes, slippers, sandals .. arrrgggg very aggravating .. but .. comes with the territory of raising a puppy.

Lorna is so nervous here re this meeting this afternoon that will 'yea or nay' her getting the new prosthesis .. the training one she has right now is getting too big for her and holding her back .. so .. fingers crossed, eyes heavenly !!

Weather here is stellar if you like high temps and high humidity (I do NOT) ..

Enjoy your day everyone

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8057242

Marilynn
Hey why don't you get a card reader so your camera card will fit into it and then you don't waste battery power. My card reader takes about 6 different cards so most camera cards can be viewed and downloaded to my photo program on my computer.
I think it was 25$ and just about any electronics store carry them.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 23, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8057451

Will have to check that out also Ann..I've a 'dock' that I use, is that the same..can't you tell I'm not computer literate..

Prayers for Lorna "M" let's hope the meeting goes well
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8057519

Betty
All you need is a
USB port in your computer, this is the kind of plug hole you plug in your keyboard, moniter and printer into. Then it's like a small box the size of a cigarette package with a cord on it. The small box will have a number of different size holes to accomidate different camera cards into it. Anyway it is easy to use.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 23, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #8057530

Don't have one of those, will have to check it out.

Thanks for the info

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8057736

Hi folks,

We are killing time in the lounge at YVR - flight delayed about 3 hours and we neglected to check before coming. Just as well though, DD can put the time w/o us or Leila (who is in day care) to good use as they were all away last week.
We should get back to Ottawa around midnight EDT.

Ann (ViAnn)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8057751

Have a good flight, Ann!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8057910

ALL is good re Lorna .. she has advanced quite nicely .. the 'training leg' stays just needs to be re lined a bit more ..

Annabelle .. when I was looking for the replacement USB cable I saw and read about the 'docking station' .. looks as though you just set the camera in the dealy doo and go from there ..
All this technology .. one wonders how we all keep on top of things LoL

ViAnn .. was your flight delayed due to the smoke ?
Hope you have an uneventful flight home .. sure is a long one ..

Off to take the Puppy Monster out and try to let him burn off some steam .. he had me up at 4:30am !!

Toodles

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #8058857

Good morning. We are home safely if a bit bleery-eyed. Total delay was about 3 1/2 hours due to a mechanical problem in the east which led to a late arrival of aircraft in Vancouver. The GOOD news was that we got upgraded both directions. I hadn't dared to hope it would happen on the return trip, but we were lucky.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 24, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8059095

Glad you are home safe Ann..nothing worse than trying to put in time in an airport, you'd think they'd design some sort of activity room or something to keep everyone from clock watching.

"M" glad it went well for Lorna, how often would it normally be replaced..never even thought about them having to be replaced unless you were a child..we certainly are learning here.

Sun is out, still be bit of overcast sky and calling for rain tomorrow..get it over before the weekend I say so we can enjoy a few more weekends of good weather. Actually I was lucky to find work this morning, so much fog..

OMG gardens are all but done, I brought a wildflower booklet catalogue into the office with me, if I get a chance on the weekend I'll go pick up seed at the wildflower farm so I can plant before fall..

Laurie, how's the deck coming?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #8060117

WB Ann .. imagine it will take a day or 2 to make up for time lost ..

Re the prosthesis .. as the stump changes .. as in shrinks .. the prosthetic device has to be lined to make a snugger fit. Once the 'team' decides the stump has stopped changing, the permanent prosthesis is made .. I won't even tell you how much it costs .. thank heaven we live in Canada !!! Even at that, there will be some 'out of pocket expenses'

Have had a NAPPIN day .. weather is wonderful but, PIPER had me up at 4:30am (again) .. man am I weary !!!
Tomorrow morning Lilly goes to be groomed .. leaving Lorna with Piper ..

Out we go .. last time ..

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010

Post #8060317

My sister brought me one of those card readers when she came. I had never seen one before but works really well. Today was beach time and the weather is amazing. On the beach till 8 tonight and didn't even need a sweater which is very unusual around the ocean. Whale watching tomorrow!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #8060516

Laurie
I love whales!! We saw lots in Maui this April and it was great! I have some dandy photo's and it was such a thrill to watch them even from the shore. Please watch them for me too.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #8060773

I now KNOW what 'perpetual motion' is .. a puppy when he first wakens and finds his favourite, and MOST noisy toy to play with !!!

Gonna have to see about doing some whale watching .. have seen so many National Geographic programs relating to it. Some were a bit scary .. I think I'd be more of a 'shore watcher'

COOL here this morning .. 6C .. will be a milder day today and then UP UP UP go the temps again, but, apparently NO humidity.

Best grab a coffee and try to wake up.

~M~

PS .. Betty .. my flowers are still doing OK .. gave them all a big drink of fertilizer the other day .. really worked well ..
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #8060800

The deck was finished yesterday.Looks good and he did a good job. He is coming back Labour Day weekend to put one on the front and and door step on the side.
Another beautiful day today, supposed to rain overnight and clear again in the morning. Perfect weather for being a tourist.

Thumbnail by growum

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8060941

Laurie, will he get rid of the old deck or do you have a burning pit..see that the deck rail has no spindles, here it's mandatory that you do, think every 2 or 3"...won't it be grand to have the 2 decks done and still time to enjoy...so what do you and your sister have planned your tourist sightseeing?

How wonderful to see whales..I'm with the others, only on t.v. did I see such elegance in the breaking water.
I'm with "M" not sure I'd want to be on a boat close to them..yikes!

"M" you say your flowers are doing ok...what flowers do you have that are still nice, you might be able to lead me to what to purchase and plant so that next year at this time I'll have some pretties as well.

Ann,got my Better Homes and Garden magazine last night, have an article called 'queen of the shade' wow said it's called Empress Wu and it can grow 4' tall and 4 to 6' hight with lavender flowers in midsummer and hardy in my region...will be on the lookout for it..do you have it?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #8061635

Betty - I don't have a lot of space; so I have very few hostas which will get really large. The nice thing is that they come in all sizes. I have one that is mature and is still only about 4" in diameter.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #8061666

Maybe the ones I don't think are growing and not doing well are the ones that aren't suppose to be of any size...hmmm

Know on each side of my deck staircase I've ones that have to be a little over 2' by 2'..will have to move them come fall or spring

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #8061740

There ARE a lot of hostas in that size range. Do you know what kind they are or do you have pictures of them?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8061754

No names, most of my hosta's were purchased at the church plant sale since I've moved here..got many but they are scattered here and there..this is the one I have near the back steps..

They are dying off but it might show you the size

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8061924

No whale watching today. We were just putting on ours shoes to go when they called and said it was cancelled. Combination of the tide and really high winds was causing rough seas. They had a rough trip before we were supposed to go and had trouble finding whales. So we are now booked to go Friday at 1:00. Friday is supposed to be nice weather - keep your fingers crossed.
Yes he will haul away the old deck when he comes to do the one on the front. Yes I do have a fire pit so I may keep some of it to burn. No spindles or anything - it is a bench across the front of it. No regulations here that say it has to have spindles and I would rather have it open so I can see out when I am sitting on it. Got new patio furniture today, nice glass table, 4 chairs and umbrella. Looks good!
Not sure where tomorrow will take us - depends on the weather, rain over night tonight but supposed to clear tomorrow morning. So far have just been doing a lot of beach wandering.
The hosta looks really nice at the foot of the stairs. I get a lot of afternoon sun on the deck so couldn't put them at the back but maybe the front.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #8063908

Happy to hear and see the results for your deck Laurie ..
We live in a ranch style house,so, a deck is kind of not needed .. doesn't mean I wouldn't like one though :-)

Betty .. I still have blooming Wave petunias (and petunias), sweet potato vine and pansies are flourishing, Rudbeckia, and Mums .. my Hostas are falling off now ..
HUMMINGBIRDS are nuts !! We have (think) 6 .. hard to tell ..

Weather here is OUTSATNDING .. what a summer this has been, could sure use some rain though ..

Off to walk the poochies

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8064066

Calling for a nice weekend here "M"it has been a great summer..it rained all last night, everything is turning bright green that had been almost hay..have a b.b.q. to go to Saturday so it will be great for all who are attending seeing as they have a pool/hot tub!

Maybe that's where I make my mistake, almost all of what I plant are perrenials, little to no annuals..have to keep that in mind. Annuals bloom much later right?

I've got decks all over this house and never seem to find the time to sit on any of them..tonight I came home after going to Fabricland, omg, they were originally closing mid-September but think by the weekend nothing will be left..with all being 75 to 85% off I managed to pick up quite a bit more fabric, buttons etc. couldn't resist, anyway, got lost in thought, back to decks, lol...with the weather we've been having my deck vines 'silver lace' have gone crazy, I've got feelers from one end of the deck to the other, they must grow 2 to 3' a day, no kidding, almost every morning I work them into the rails and by the time I get home there are 20 more that need done..can't wait until the flower..I'll take a photo in the morning to show you how crazy they are...

Tonight after shopping, put Sailor into the tub and gave her a bath, lordy she's pulling out her hair like crazy, shouldn't be lifting her as she's quite a size but thought warm water might feel nice against her rash, with that behind me and looking at how late it is, it's time for din/din..picked up chinese food..shouldn't be eating so close to bedtime but mega things to do!

Hope you've all enjoyed your day,
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2010

Post #8064261

Betty all I have is perennials - that is a lot of what the nursery business we were just getting going was - my echinacea are still going like crazy, crazy daisies are just dying off but if I had kept them deadheaded they would still be going, blanket flower still blooming, false sunflower and sneezeweed and blackeye susan and mums just getting going. The last blooms coming off the lilies now really sorry to see them go. This is my Casa Blanca lily - it is well over 5 feet tall and had 27 blooms this year. Smells amazing.
Whale watching tomorrow - calling for good weather this time.

Thumbnail by growum

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #8064828

Oh my Laurie .. what a gorgeous Lily !!! Will have to keep it in mind.
Good luck with the whale watching :-)

Betty, I have perennials, but always like to do pots/planters/urns whatever .. with pansies and petunias ..
The Silver Lace vine sounds lovely .. I am OFF vines after having tried to get shed of a Virginia Creeper .. took me THREE years to get it out of the garden it was in !! AND .. I had carted the wheelbarrow full of it back into the brambles, and it is now growing up a Birch tree .. one tough vine that's for sure.

TGIF ... going to go and do some shopping today .. weather is supposedly going to be VERY nice if you like heat and humidity, up until next Tuesday .. but we so need rain !!!
Lorna's folks arrive from down east on Sept 10 .. so am hoping Piper will have come around. He is getting better by the day !!!

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8065009

OMG just love that lily and to have 27 blooms, must be a record, absolutely gorgeous photo...how are things going with your sister, has she ever been whale watching? glad weather is co-operating for you? Bet you've had breakfast on the back deck right? Have fun today..

"M" am sure Piper will be on best behavior! Seems like yesterday when Lorna's folks were visiting, guess it's last trip until spring? Does Lorna come down to spend Christmas with them?

Weather will be absolutely spectacular for the next 4 days..hoping we're off at1:00 today, would love to get the weeder out and tidy up corners..Cathy and her dad were over yesterday and got my yard all cut but they don't do weeding so it will be a good time to prepare earth near the flower shed I built, clean out weeds, thought about going to purchase containers of mums and place them here and there for color and get the most out of what's left till the snow falls.

I take so many different concessions home that it gets confusing as to where I saw what..remember thinking one day last week that there were shutters, old window and other junk at the roadside and a sign that say 'free' ahhh found it this morning but only thing left was some kind of folding rack, turned around and went to get it..at the end of my hard is a 4' drop into back bushland, I picked up an old metal headboard and at the time thought between 2 trees I'd cement it in for people to look down from it into the ravine (only in the spring is there water) so I thought I could come up with something crafty with this piece so it my car it is..put that on my agenda this weekend as well..lol..

Brought in some squares for another rag quilt, although I purchased the accuquilt and it does the ragging I still prefer to do it by hand JUST to keep myself occupied here in the office so off I go, play for awhile..

So hope you are all enjoying your day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #8065540

Back from the foray into the city .. good grief, I do think a goodly amount of Thunder Bayites were out and about today .. as well .. road construction kind of had us taking mini detours .. mind you .. gave us a chance to ogle some gardens we would never had seen before. One person had some absolutely STELLAR clematis .. a white and a deep purple interwoven ..

Betty .. Lorna's folks were here in June .. I am kind of thinking that they came so close to losing her they will be coming more often.
We were actually going to go to them .. but .. we sat and considered the equipment we would need to take .. wheelchair, rolling walker, canes, prosthesis, bath bench .. the list just kept getting longer .. PLUS .. it's 6 steps up to her parents door, then 3 more to get into the house. They love Thunder Bay, so that makes it a lot easier, and, hopefully we will have good weather (fingers crossed on that )

I really always wonder where the heck you get your energy Betty .. I seem to live vicariously through you :-)

Laurie , hope you and your sis had a knock down gorgeous and exciting day .. enjoy :-)

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .. one thing ... got Piper his little ID tag that hangs from his collar .. now .. you all know how the lil guy feels about COLLAR .. COLLAR is a boogie Dog to him LoL .. but .. DH got it off, got the tag on .. and as i sat holding Piper getting MUCHO GRANDE puppy kisses .. Lorna was able to slip it back on and clip it closed. He now would like to CATCH the wee dingly dangly tag .. but is sleeping on my foot instead.

Off I go .. supper to create .. hmmmmmmmm .. M&Ms LoL

~M~
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #8065586

just time for a few pictures.. Motherhood is really a lot of work... But sooooooo worth it
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #8065588

another

Thumbnail by smurf428

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8065590

another one

Thumbnail by smurf428

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #8065592

last one
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8065595

sorry forgot the pic

Thumbnail by smurf428

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8065837

Jen she really is a sweetie (but you know that). And so bright for her age! Enjoy her. she'll be big before you know it.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #8065891

Jen
Ditto for me , I can almost smell the baby smell they have!! Great shots.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8065900

Oh Jen she's gorgeous, what a cutie pie and yes, lots and lots of work...but as you say, so worth it..

Right now it's all new to you, once you are in a routine it will be a piece of cake..did I say that?

You are just too talented with you photo's..wow..maybe that should be a new at home career, do albums for people, bet there would be a demand..

So glad you had a few minutes to post..

"M" never thought about all the equipment she's have to bring along with her, not thinking is what I am..it would have been nice though as you could have visited with me and spent a few days..drats...

Did get off at 1:00 and home by 1:40 and just came in..had the weeder out, got the yard looking spiffy and even did some weeding..lot more to go..hoping that tomorrow before the heat I'll do some deadheading..couldn't believe all the butterflies and bees out, guess all are trying to get nutrition before fall.

I'm hoping to be outside at the crack of dawn and get pressure washer working and wash down the house, sure does need it..can't believe the spiderwebs..wow..

Did stop at a garage sale on my way home, a farmer had a little stove of some type, says it works, rusted so will look nice with everything in my garden that's rusty, rather than use it with coal oil I'll put a candle inside..will look pretty lit up!

Washed down all the decks, that was quite an undertaking, probably would have done more but I got a call from my insurance company, a pre-warning as to the increase, not sure if she said house insurance was going up 26 or 28% and then we got on the subject of the new automobile insurance for Ontario, talk about losing ground, mine went up and I lost 1/2 the benefits that normally came with the auto policy under this new plan, if you want to increase it then it's mega $$$...did you all get notification about it? I'm not a happy camper that's for sure! Put that along with the new HST and I'm broke..funny how our pensions won't go up!!!!

Tired, when I'm tired I gab a lot and also get cranky lol so off to bed I go, know it's only 7:16 but hey, 5:30 comes early...

If I don't get back, enjoy your evening!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #8065903

Got everything washed on this deck and the other 2 decks..talk about dirty..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #8065904

Said I'd show you the vine..from 2 little strands coming from the ground look how it's grown on the decking

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8066122

Whale watching was amazing! Saw three different kinds, humpbacks,finbacks and minkes along with lots of porpoises and seals. Really hard to get good pictures took 65 and only kept about 7 - the rest were sky or water. Tried to enjoy seeing the whales though and not get too caught up in the picture taking. The weather was great, we had lobster dinner after the boat trip then wandered the beach picking up shells and sea glass till almost dark, wearing only t-shirts. A wonderful day.

Thumbnail by growum

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #8066309

Betty that would be great only problem is i get all the peices form a daily site that has free downloads.. All the pieces are made by others i just add them together to make the page.. There all under copyrights and I cant sell them unless i buy a licences to use there products.. It fine for me though, I just want the memories and the nice albums... Plus if i wouldn't of spent most of my pregnancy making pages for future use, i dont think i would of had time to even make one.. Somedays it takes 10 min and i'm done other days i could spend hours to get it just right.. Guess it depends on my creative level that day..

Yes it does go by fast i cant believe its almost been a month

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #8066630

Well .. my Saturday started at 4am with a nice wake up call from PIPER .. so .. out we went, Lilly, Piper and myself .. business done and SURPRISE .. back to bed and sleep with a MINIMUM of fuss.
COurse he was hungry by 6:30am .. but that's fine ..
TONS of stars at 4am :-)

Jenn .. Alison is so precious, and, as Ann mentioned, BRIGHT .. I do hope she sleeps well for you .. my son was NOT a sleeper .. maybe that's why I'm not bothered too much by this puppy .. (did I say that) !!

Laurie .. GREAT pic of the whale .. awesome in fact .. happy to hear the visit is going well .. enjoy :-)

Betty ..LOVE the deck photos and, of course, the infamous 'OUTHOUSE shed' .. the vine is just SO perfect for creating privacy .. looks like the Virginia creeper I ONCE had .. and had to take away.

Saturday .. which means perhaps a trip to the dump, plus I just realized I have 3 blue bags of recycling that should be taken as well .. kinda spoiled here as we are not expected to seperate the 'stuff' .. would not want the job of having to actually DO that, but, I guess it's a job for somebody ..

Enjoy your day everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 28, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #8066657

You are indeed up early "M", did the same, Sailor was clawing me at 5 a.m. thought I'd put her out and back into bed but once up and seeing what kind of day it will be, decided to get all the inside work done.

"M" I'd be afraid to go to the dump in fear I'd come home with more treasures than when I went..lol. do you not have large object and house pick - up or is it just more convenient for you to make a dump trip?

Drying the last of the bedding, going to dust and wash the floors, so far I've just finished giving a green coat of paint to a changelier I bought for $3.00 yesterday, think it will look nicer over the table in the secret garden than the one that is there, it has amber glass globes, would rather they have been clear but hey, for $3.00 what do I want. I'll simply sand the green when the paint dries to give it an antique look then I can hang it..the metal one that is there well, let's just say I've an idea what to do with it..lol

so I'm well underway to being able to spend all day outside without worrying about the inside.. made a few birdbaths last Friday, cured and sitting for pick up, that might be the break I need when Darlene arrives.

Bought a pressure washer a couple of years ago, never did use it, am hoping the connection to cleaner is easy, want to wash the house down and then do the windows ..learning my lesson, you can't wait until it's cold weather or wait for someone to have a day to do it for me so hoping today is the day..

Have an afternoon b.b.q. - would rather stay home but no can do...would rather stay and play here...after all the weeding and trimming I did yesterday afternoon..didn't even realize I had spent 5 hours outside, the yard looks so neat and tidy and pretty that I just want to enjoy! Ever feel like that?

Off I go, see you on a break...
Hope weather is great for you all and you get to do what most pleases you...

Enjoy

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8067548

La Dee DA !! We are/were the hotest city in Canada today .. BOY did we feel it !!!
The pups a dogs enjoyed being INSIDE as opposed to being OUT ..

Betty .. our dump (Municipal Landfill Site) has a NO PICKIN policy .. used to be that there were folks crawling in the garbage to ferret out a treasure they saw .. I guess the liability became too great.
I have often thought I'd post a pic of the 'dump' so y'all would know what I am talking about .. it ain't purdy that's for sure !

BBQ'd some burgers .. jsut cleaned up and am about to take the dogs out .. likely just within their compound .. still too warm to walk them about the property .. just want to wear Piper out a bit more .. !!!

Sleep well all

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8067631

Quiet day today, stayed at home and talked and ate, out for breakfast this morning then brought home Chinese food for supper, cookies and fruit all afternoon. Lazy day but I think we needed a day of rest. Brunch tomorrow at the Fairmont Algonquin in St Andrews then we will probably spend the afternoon wandering their gardens and relaxing down there. Then Monday will be our last day and Leigh goes home Tuesday and I am back to work on Wednesday. The time has really gone fast!
Amazing how the weather is staying so warm. Still 20 now at 9:30.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 28, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8067799

Just got back from a b.b.q...although I said I'd not stay late I stayed well past my bedtime...

Read to post above just to make sure you are all ok, now it's jammy time and I'll respond in the morning...

Hope you all enjoyed your day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #8068236

WAHOO!!! Piper let me sleep until 5:45am !!! I know tha that is early, but a lot better than 4am :-)

Glad to hear all is going well with your cisit Laurie .. a day of rest was likely just the BEST kind of day .. I must say .. your sisters visit and the end of your holidays certainly has come quickly !!!

Hope you got a good nights sleep Betty ..

Had a LARGE Porcupine waddle by the enclosure last evening, luckily I watched it from INSIDE the house so the dogs weren't even aware. Lordie was he/she a bruiser !! It toddled on down the driveway headed west .. good place for him/her :-)

Laundry is on todays agenda .. going to be well over 34C .. because of the humidity I'll likely just put everything but the sheets in the dryer.

Enjoy the LAST Sunday of August everyone ~~

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #8068317

Last Sunday of August, omg, isn't it hard to believe, seems like yesterday that we were thinking of getting our gardens planted..

"M" I had a dog that forever had porcupine quills in it's mouth, Roger always said he loved the meds the doctor gave him, gave him a high..lol but the vet did say a dog will either shy away from them after having quills or they'll hunt porcupines, mine did the hunt..

Good for you, perhaps Piper's bladder is getting larger and will soon make it to 7am..won't that be a treat.

With being such an eager beaver on Friday and Saturday, there's nothing except dusting the downstairs to do, that will take all of 5 minutes and the day is mine...

You just got to know it won't be a sit down and rest kind of day but it will be relaxing..those 5 birdhouses I made a few months ago still sit unpainted so I'll set up a table outside, get the paint out and once they are sanded I'll give them a coat and with the light breeze might get them completely finished if dry.

Had coffee on the back deck this morning, so many butterflies out there, wonder if it's because the butterfly bushes are all in bloom..lordy, the front one must be a good 8-10 ft. seems each year I cut it down to about 1' it grows twice as high..

I only had about 4 things in my laundry basket but I'm a fanatic for laundry so did the 1/4 wash cycle, won't be long and it will be dried and hanging in my closet.

Laurie, wow, I'm with "M" your week is almost done already? Bet you loved having her visit with you..don't let going back to work spoil the next day or so...did you get whale watching?

Only downer I'll have today is thinking about going to court tomorrow morning re Jury Duty, not looking forward to that experience..wonder if I tell them I could not possibly sign the fate of someone , too much responsibility for me..not trying to get out of it just find it would be too overwhelming!

Well, time for another coffee and get the painting area set up, could do it inside where all the tables are but being in the sunshine would be nice.

Enjoy the day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8068991

We decided being INSIDE was a better thing than being OUTSIDE in the 35C heat !!!
Watched some absolutely STUPID movie .. (I rented it) .. 'The Cry of the Owl' .. would suggest NOT renting it even if you're desperate LoL
Tidied up/out Pipers crate .. he has what is called a 'Sherpa Pad' on the bottom , brown fuzzy thing, I thought all that was that was the matter was that it was covered in dog biscuit crumbs and some shed fur .. but .. seems he must have slept in today as there was a 'piddle' spot on the pad :-( Here all along I have been told, and have told people that dogs do not do their business wherein they sleep .. guess I'll have to revise THAT statement .. ahh well .. it was a simple fix ..

Hope you did OK with the bird houses Betty ... re the 'jury duty' .. have heard that one of the questions asked of a prospective juror is "have you heard of this crime, and, have you formed an opinion' .. guess you could just say 'yes' .. that way they'd dismiss you?

Am stunned to be reminded that today is the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina .. several programs on TV dealing with the aftermath ..

Best get on with supper preps ..

Toodles

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8069002

WELL... I'm back from my solo - singing went well (although my legs were like Rubber!)
Afterwards my previous boss took my voice coach, my DH, and I out for lunch. It was very nice.
One... disappointing part of the singing...
I had someone use my camera (she'd used it before) and well, I read the scriptures today, then she shut off the camera to let the congregation sing something. When she turned the camera back on for my solo, she forgot to press "Record", so I have a recording of my scripture reading, but Not the solo...
I spoke to the keyboardist, and she will play again for me on Tuesday @1pm, and get someone to record me then. I already called my mom and told her that the solo was missed, and that I will get it recorded again. It's not quite the same, though...
I Will Not tell the lady who was doing the recording, as I don't want her to feel badly, but I AM disappointed... siiiiiigh...

I got so many people who were impressed with my singing, including our pastor, who said "Now that we know you can Sing like that...!!!" I had others say that they want me to sing again! :-)
As soon as I get it recorded, I will post it on a picture site, and send links to those that wish it. Just PLEASE do not post it on YouTube, k?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8069039

Susan, know I posted a comment on another thread, but just got to acknowledge your disappointment in the solo not being recorded..what an angel you are not to tell the individual taping that they didn't get the solo...another time perhaps..

Muggy here as well "M", as for the birdhouses got 1 done then been having company come in and out all afternoon..friends are more important than birdhouses..omg, Ann brought me 2 bouquets of flowers as a thank you for my kindness to her and hubby as they go through 'cancer' fright~

Then, we're gabbing at the driveway, young oriental girl comes over, looking for accommodations for 4 months..will do her co-op at the Municipality which is 2 blocks away, less than a 5 minute walk..she doesn't drive..she mentioned twice that she didn't have a lot of funds so told her she could have the back bedroom and use of the house for $300. heck, got to help young ones now don't we..I'm always here,there and everywhere so it doesn't much matter. Pretty young girl, her parents were thrilled with her staying here..so Sunday or Monday she'll move in..not quite sure where I'll put a closet full of Christmas gifts that are boxed but will have to find a home somewhere ..

Think I'll go outside and put the birdhouses in the storage area under the deck and put away my paint..all this excitement has tired me out..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #8069069

I will get it (re) recorded on Tuesday afternoon, Betty.
I know that Kay would feel Awful if she knew, and I wouldn't feel good about that, so there's no need for her to know that she didn't record it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8069102

Your kindness says something about you Susan..we often speak before we think and yes, had you done so Kay would have felt just terrible...easy mistake to have been made..yikes, something that I would have done unintentionally!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8069125

absolutely, Betty - someone said to me that maybe she did it intentionally. I know better, and she doesn't deserve to have me say anything.
btw - I had forgotten that I have a tripod, and that would take care of any unsteadiness, as long as I have someone to play the piano, and someone to press "record" it may turn out better after all :-)
The Lord does give us some challenges, eh? :-)
It's all for a reason!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8069396

All for a reason is right,

Been a busy weekend, it's Beddybye time..

Good Lord willing we'll gab in the morning!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8069695

M I remember when i had to get up with my puppies to let them out.. We bought our house and installed a doggy door now i can sleep they just go out whenever.. (or could sleep before the baby anyways)

Betty how did the birdhouses turn out hope you got them finished.. Its very nice of you to offer that young lady a place to call home..

Susan hope the new recording goes as good as the first solo went, i understand the frustration but agree its better to not tell her..

Hubby goes back to work tomorrow, hes been off for the month.. So its just me and the baby, I'm on my own no more help through the night.. I think i will be ok, tired but i'll make it..

Its going to be a hot week here temps were nicer last week when it wasn't to hot so i could get out side with Alli..

But Alli has fell asleep on the couch, and i think i should take advantage of this sleeping time and head off to bed myself..

jen

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #8069701

Jen - it wasn't frustrating, at all. Just a minor disappointment which I am ALL over!!
I don't know if I can get the same dynamics as the first one, when I sang for an audience, but I know my DM will love it, cuz it's her DD (and I'm her youngest, btw LOL)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #8069805

Been lurking but not posting, not much exciting happening in my life! Rained almost all day today, cold enough I turned the furnace on this morning. Years ago I would have just put another sweater on, now I indulge in the luxury of turning the furnace on in July if I feel like it!

Didnt walk the dogs because of the rain ,worked at the House , 2 tours today, 1 family with 3 kids maybe 9/11 years old, they were quite interested and asked lots of questions whihch was nice, I dont look forward to kids on the tours, they usually seem quite bored!

I have an Adirondack chair which has lived out in the garden many years, I have decided I will paint it next spring but not the final color: there re 3 clematis growing nearby, the color of the chair will be one of them. One is purple, one a deep wine red, one a deep rose. Of course I could just repaint it a different color every year! Here is the purple one ( Polish Spirit)

A friend dropped by yesterday- she is a sheltie lover and wanted to meet Abby - we sat in the sun and chatted for a bit then sent her on her way with a bag full of garden produce. Had lovely cabbages this year, beans, beets and carrots. I always plant 4 cabbages because I buy them started and they come in a 4 pack. Neighbor Marie takes one and makes a great cabbage soup which she shares and I want one, mainly for cole slaw - this year two friends took the other two. This is the first year in many when I have not had to protect the produce from Fancy's veggie hunts!

Yesterday I was pulling up carpet, which is easy but getting all the staples out( from the underlay) takes a lot of time. I have carpet on the stairs and middle and upper landing and the landings were peed on a lot by cats and I decided it was time to get rid of it. The small landing is wood(finished) but the upper hall is old tile, need to find out if it is maybe asbestos. One of the tiles came loose and it looks like it might be hardwood underneath- I hope! The tiles are so old they might actually come up easily.If not I am just getting an area rug to cover as much as possible. Of course if it is asbestos tile I wont touch it or I will have to get it professionally removed. It is all thru the upper floor but pretty much covered with carpet or vinyl.

I am reading the official biography of QEQM by Shawcross- 1000 pages, about half way thru- lots more detail than I need but still interesting except it seems the lady had no flaws which I doubt!

Time to shut down and go to bed. Nite all.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #8069966

Have a look at this link for a reminder of Katrina - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFeixqfcP8 Scott and Tanya are both fine violists and Scott is also a good composer and wrote the music on this link. They lost most of their belongings in Katrina.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8070651

Everyone is busy as usual ..

Susan .. sorry to hear of the 'oopsie' .. but .. they DO happen, and.. in the scheme of things what good would it be telling the person now that the horse is out of the barn ..

Lovely Clematis Carol ..and my friend in Calgary has been bemoaning the weather there .. here we are in Thunder Bay with high temps and humidity that is really SO un NorthWestern Ontario like !!
Last night from about 2am til 6am we had a light show and thunder boomers and 4/10 of an inch of rain .. Piper's first storm and he 'weathered it' well .. Lilly was her usual 'I'm being brave but I'm 'not' kinda girl :-)

Betty .. I think you are wonderful to open your home to that young woman .. this could be the start of beautiful friendship!

Making a stir fry for supper, may as well start cutting veggies.
My back is acting up .. sciatica L side, doesn't radiate down my leg though (one blessing) .. this seems to happen once every 2 to 3 years .. hangs around for a miserable 2 or 3 days and is GONE ... .. day ONE is done .. 2 more to go :(

Toodles

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 30, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8070715

My thought exactly, ~M~ re: oooopsie! LOL

I have had sciatica probs, for 6 months, then it "magically" went away, never to bother me again! dunno what happened - maybe it got bruised...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8071104

Sheebomba !!! I stood to stir fry the veggies and cook the noodles .. lordie .. after about 10 minutes (maybe less) my back (L butt) felt like it was going to do something that would transcend pain .. so .. I sat down and, of course, immediate relief.
I KNOW I set this off by using the truck this past weekend .. it's newer and the tailgate is 'tight', and, HEAVY .. so .. pulling the latch and holding it going down (gawd forbid I let it just BAM down) .. and then struggling to get the gate back up .. well .. I think I know what I did .. this too shall pass (QUICKLY I hope) !!!

It's 40C here right now .. AC can't keep up .. dogs don't want to go out .. neither do I LOL .. so hoping the forecast for a 'cooling trend' Thursday is true ..

Off I go

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 30, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8071186

Got in a bit ago, lordy our courts waste a lot of money, wouldn't you think if you were going to adjourn a trial until spring of 2011 that you would do it before having over 100 people, paying mileage, having them sit all morning having coffee / chatting???

Oh well, guess I'd be complaining if I got to be on the jury..lol..home I am, tired as can be, talk about a hot and humid day, put the sprinkler on but think I'll shut it off because I just know the minute I put my head down I'll be snoozing..

So want to gab with you, please excuse my bad manners, not posting, but it's nap time for this old gal..

See you in the a.m.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #8072096

Betty .. as jaded as this sounds .. isn't it just 'typical' of the system .. hope the room you were in was air conditioned !!

Already 23C here at 6am .. looks to be another gruesome hot and humid day here .. with thunder storms expected as well.
Lorna has a docs appt .. we best leave early as handicap parking is at a real premium at our local hospital .. lord knows I don't want to be pushing her across an asphalt parking lot in the heat .. mind you .. she usually wheels herself, all depends if it's on an incline .

Have a fella from a local window shop coming to give us an estimate to replace 3 big windows .. it's time .. best be sitting when he gives the final tally !!

Off to feed the dog ..

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8072886

Holidays are over. Put my sister on the plane to go home around noon today. We had a good time, did lots of tourist things, walked a lot of beaches, talked a lot and ate out a lot - a real holiday. However that is over now - it is back to work for me tomorrow and back to cooking and cleaning too.
Really hot here as well. 32 today with humidex of 39. The thermometer on the deck - in the sun says 46 now. Didn't cool off much last night so warm in the house today and no AC here. Will be hot sleeping tonight.
Hurricane Earl is barrelling down on us. Right now they are not sure exactly where it will go. Latest track is showing it going over Nova Scotia. Supposed to be around on Thursday or Friday so will have to keep an eye on that.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8073162

Am watching the Weather Network Laurie .. they are fer sure taking NO CHANCES that folks won't be forewarned and forearmed re Earl ..
SO glad you and your sister had such a nice relaxing holiday .. it went fast ...

Fellow coming to estimate the window replacements cancelled til next week .. was OK with me ... he'll be back next week.

Have 'tentatively' signed Piper up for Puppy Kindergarten .. would start in Sept. Still have to find more about it.
Lilly got Kennel Cough from her puppy school as they were using a common water dish .. course .. the owners denied it .. but I plan to ask if participants are to bring their OWN water and dish ..

Fingers crossed this will be the last day at 40C !!!!

Off to make supper

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8073547

Over 40 here as well with humidex..don't know what I would have done without a/c this summer..wow..calling for cooler temps on the weekend, wouldn't you know it being a long weekend but things change..was rumbling tonight, thought we'd get a storm but seems to have passed us by..won't be so lucky on Thurs/Fri.

"M" I ordered two windows 61 x 42 for 2 front bedrooms a few weeks ago, am hoping they are in this weekend so my brother can instal..if not, guess as long as it's done before thanksgiving it will be ok..only windows left will be two 28x30 which they are to provide me with an estimate...wow, windows don't come cheap do they!

Ahhh Piper's going to go to Puppy School, how wonderful..do you get to join him?

Laurie, sure hope the storm passes you by, I also heard by Friday it could possibly hit the shoreline of Nova Scotia..let's hope he weakens..

Bit of a let down after the excitement of having your sister visit..takes so long for the vacation to arrive and it seems only hours and it's gone for yet another year..do you have any more vacation left?

Tired tonight, of course in this heat I just had to work on an outdoor project..Greg and Noah dropped in and I got a lecture..why with all the gardens in the yard did I need to start creating in the ravine 5' down from my property in swamp land..hey, they call it creativity..lol which reminds me, my can of white paint is still outside, best I go take it in then head for bed..

Gab in the a.m.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8073573

Back to work tomorrow - can't believe how fast it went. I still have a week of holidays left. Booked now for the week of Sept 13, my son was supposed to come home but because he started the job in November of last year he doesn't have holidays this year. That was disappointing. Would like to go out and see him but have to find a dog-sitter. There is a kennel near here so may go and see them and what they are about. I will probably cancel these holidays and rebook for maybe Thanksgiving.
This is a picture of my sister at Hopewell Rocks. Unique formations of rocks sculpted by the 50' tides that come in a go out there. Also called the Flower Pot rocks.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8073580

And another.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2010

Post #8073608

one more

Thumbnail by growum

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8073886

wow - kewl rocks!!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #8074008

I took about a hundred pictures - don't know what I will do with them all, they were just very neat to look at. We got there right at low tide so got to spend 3 hours on the beach before the rising tide chased us of.
Back to work today. It is now 24 with humidex of 28 at 6:30, forecasting another 34 day with humidex at 40. This is by far the hottest weather we have had this summer. Air conditioning at the bank anyway so I will be cool but poor Abby - hard to keep her cool. Lots of fresh water and fans going everywhere in the house.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 1, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8074372

Love the photo's..when we had our RV we visited same area, I was in awe of the beauty!

Hard for a/c's to keep up..won't it be fun getting our next hydro bill?

84 degrees, can't you tell I'm old fashion, humidity is at it's highest, heat alert issued..said we beat 2000 record for highest temps in September..

We'll be shocked though, cool weather for the long weekend..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8074495

Pray for good weather for us this Long Weekend, Betty - we're going TENTING lol
Leaving Friday afternoon, back sometime on Tuesday...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8076663

Well Susan I'll say a prayer for ya, thinkin a warm jacket might be instore though !

Raining here .. love it as DH 'brought in' the apples yesterday .. 3 boxes of wonderfully sweet apples, not touched by frost yet, but .. don;t want the bear to get'em .. have made one cooked pie a 3 for freezing (so far) .. knock on door, elderly neighbour (widower from up the road) gave me 2 baskets of Peaches .. so . have made him a pie and one on the go for here .. doing all this while suffering through a bout of SCIATICA !! Not bad bad .. but enough to make standing a bit miserable .. Lorna has helped quite a bit :) even though cooking is NOT her thing .. told her just about anyone can peel an apple and cut it up :-)

We SO need this rain for the country wells..

See there has been another oil rig explosion in the Gulf .. doesn't appear to be as bad as the other .. good thing it's located out of Hurricane Earls way !!

Hope everyone is doin fine !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #8076702

Rained heavily here all night but sunshine is now peeking through the clouds, but omg they are calling for rain everyday this long weekend, I'm making plans to have all the grandchildren, wanted to do Collingwood Caves and on Sunday Canada's wonderland but no can do if it rains..guess we have to take what we can...went to lunch and to me it's even hotter/muggier than any of the other days...all I can say is thank god for a/c..

"m" my mouth is watering, fresh apple pie, then peaches to boot..yummy, yummy in the tummy...lucky you!

Did not hear about the oil spill, will have to go look at the news bulletin..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8076782

I am sanding!
Although the floors in this wartime house were all hardwood the upper floor had been tiled and I covered it with carpet. Had to remove the bathroom carpet a few years ago ( cat peeing) and recently decided to remove the carpet in the small hall also. I had not realised this floor was hardwood and some of the tiles popped loose when I was pulling staples and was I surprised! So I had a chat with a lady at a flooring store and started popping tiles, the glue was so old most came up pretty easily and now I have started sanding the old glue off. I just to a small section at a time so it will take a while but the wood is looking so nice I keep wanting to go back and do more!
Once that is done I will have to put a finish coat on it and get the quarter round and put back plus edgers where the bathroom vinyl and bedrm carpet meet the wood.

Heres what it looks like- old tile in the middle, old glue on left and bottom and strip on the right where I have been sanding.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8076923

Carol - that looks fantastic! How wonderful to have all that hardwood underneath, being preserved for a time when you're ready to change out the tile!
I understand the hard work ahead of you, though. Used to live in a 1912 home, and it was tiled with asbestos tiles (the red ones with the white shot through it) and some rooms had 70's shag rug (orange in one, and purple in another!).
What kind of hardwood do you have? We had Douglas fir - the softest of the hardwoods.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8076990

It will look fantastic, nothing like aged wood..are you doing it just using your hands or are you taking advantage of an electric sander? you'll be thrilled with the finished project...sure wish there had been aged flooring in this house..nothing gives a home a warm feeling that wood flooring!

Know you want to keep going back to it but don't wear yourself out...you'll be posting photo's won't you once you finish it???

Lucky you!

How are you doing today Susan?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #8077065

I have a small palm sander, if I didnt I would surely go buy one - not about to do this manually!

I had all the carpet pulled and floors refinished on the main floor about 15 years ago. It had never been touched so came up beautifully. I think it is fir - dont really remember. Even the closets have hardwood!

I will not do the bedroom - too much like work ( besides it is most likely asbestos tile and if I wanted somebody else to do it it would be a great fuss!) although if I had realized when I bought the house what was under the tile I think I would have had it finished before I moved in.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8077228

doing fine, ty, Betty.
I had my "interview" today, but it wasn't for a particular job - it was with an Employment Agency. They offered a Medical Office Assistant position - 1/2 time (noon to 5) for now, but working into full time. It's just for being at the front desk of a Dr's office. Doesn't really sound like it would be challenging enuff, or pay very much...

Carol - when it's all done, it will look Fantastic - kudos to you, kiddo!
Do you think you'll have it done in time for Christmas?
When does Lougheed house open this year, and are they finished the reno's? I'd love to go there at Christmas, as I've never been then...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8077264

Susan LH is open all year except week between Xmas and New Year.No sure what reno's you mean- they were closed Jan this year to have some floors refinished but that is all.

Dont know dates for the Xmas celebration- usually it is in late November.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #8077492

Yes, the reno's I meant were the floor refinishing. My bad memory - I thought there was more to it than that...

Ah well - please let me know (unless I can Google it and find out) when they're opening for the Celebrations because I'd like to see it - an Old Fashioned Christmas - I Love it!!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #8077544

Well Im not sure I would call it Old Fashioned! Each room is decorated by a different designer so sometimes it is really quite modern!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
3:24 AM

Post #8077719

Morning all ..

Carol, good luck with the floor .. I think it'll look so warm !!
No chance I have ANY wood here .. only cement ...

Rained all night, nice steady SLOW rain .. we had expected a deluge .. slow and steady at least STAYS and soaks in ..
Have to keep pinching myself to remind myself that it's SEPTEMBER ... where does the time go !!!

Back is feeling perhaps 25% better today .. will have to cool my jets for one more day .. then I think my sciatic nerve will give up and calm down for good !!

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #8077744

"M" just said same thing to myself, TGIF..lol

Yikes, painful having a sciatic nerve acting up, you were doing too much right? any plans for this long weekend?

Rained here all night and the sky is dark and heavy, guess weather forecast is right on target rain all weekend..glad I have projects to keep me going.

Carol, the photo's you posted of Lougheed House last Christmas were spectacular, will you take on more hours now that it's fall?

Susan, enjoy your camping, praying for sunshine but just incase bring along your umbrella! On the good side, don't fish bite when it's raining! Don't be discouraged, am sure a job meant just for you is around the corner..

Lordy, cleaned the guest room closet where I've been staching box after box of Christmas goodies that I've got so far as the young lady who is moving in with me for 4 months will arrive either Sunday or Monday, talk about a chore to find a home for all of them...shhhh don't peek under my bed, please...

Time to get ready and leave but not before I look for knitting needles..bought that new wool that's out than fans out..made for scarves, thought some of the girls might like one so need something to do at work this morning, might as well be knitting...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8078042

oh, I'm not discouraged, Betty.
Funny you should mention fishing - Bob wanted to update our fishing tackle and go this year, but we only have the inflatable dinghy, and haven't gotten our licenses yet because it's so late in the year (Apr 1 to March 31 is the season), and we'd only get this weekend in... We're NOT ice fishermen LOL

Carol - I'm trying to picture Lougheed House as "modern" and I'm afraid I can't... modern for what era? Obviously there are some "touches" that would have to be modern because of functionality, but the decorating is what I was thinking of. Are there some that would not be do-able because we don't have the sort of supplies they would "back then"? I suppose so...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #8078146

Susan- I am talking about the Xmas decorations - you will see!

These are professional decorators so they have lots of things that even we probably dont have available- and probably most of us cant afford to use either!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8078163

Gotcha!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8078168

torential rains here and high winds, omg drains can't keep up, will be flooding for sure..another 1 1/2 hrs. to go and homeward bound I am...drats and more drats...

Susan, so no fish fry then..lol,

what kind of weather are they calling for this weekend in your neck of the woods?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #8078196

ooooh Betty - glad you're not near Earl! yikes on torrential rains and winds!!
When are you going to get the phones switched????????????

We're supposed to have light rain on Sunday, and cloudy periods on Monday/Tuesday in Pincher Creek, where we're camping. Friday 24, Saturday 23, and Sunday 9, Monday 11, Tuesday 13 celcius for the HIGH...yikes!! Well the low will be only 3, so it's "handle-able".
As long as it's sunny... We have sleeping bags good to -6c, so that's good :-)

We'll have to have many, many Blazing fires, too! Oh, and an elderly couple that we met on the last long weekend (July) - we called them, and they will come there, too. They have the cutest little camper - It looks seamless almost, and it's roundish - it can be pulled by a car, too! Would be a little more $$ though. But it's as cute as a button!! It's called "T@DA" and can be pulled by "most" passenger cars. It's no good for someone of Bob's height (6'3") cuz it's interior height is 5'9", but it was perfect for this elderly couple (in their 70's).
Here's a link re: this cute camper:
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/3/tada-travel-trailer.aspx

and here's it's smaller version - T@B:
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/tab-teardrop-trailer.aspx

Can your car tow 2,000 lbs? If so, then the T@B is good.
If your car can tow 2,200 lbs then you could use the T@DA

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8078197

Betty - here's a whole list of small tow-behind trailers:
http://www.roamingtimes.com/smalltraveltrailers/index.aspx

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8078270

Thanks Susan, you go enjoy yourself..still raining here..thanks for the trailer links..think I found the one I want..

have to remember I've a little vehicle so it has to be really lightweight..there are several others I'm considering..

http://www.leesurelite.com/

I've even called them..could order now and have delivered in early spring!!!

ooops got to clean my desk, time to leave!
Enjoy your weekend everyone..

This message was edited Sep 3, 2010 12:58 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #8078338

Rain and wind is the order of the day here .. fine with me .. ^-^

Had a wee 'scare' a bit ago .. I am what I refer to as a 'SHOWER CLEANER' .. when the tub enclosure needs to be cleaned, usually weekly .. I do it when I am done my shower .. that way it gets a good cleaning .. well .. I had just sprayed down the walls of the enclosure and was starting to wipe them down (sore back and all) when 'BLACKNESS', the power went out !!!! I just kinda stood there, and, as quick as it went out.. it was back on .. I sure hurried that job along !!!

Susan I am sure you will have an awesome time in Pincher Creek ...

Betty .. no one had best look under my bed either !! I put the dog crate in my closet so Piper is near at night, and what was in the closet is under the bed, and, I am sure some of it has puppy teeth marks in it as well !!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHh .. gosh .. gettin offa here, the wind is really quite strong right now ..

Enjoy your weekend .. planning on house cleaning as Lorna's folks arrive next Friday .. YIKES .. that's one week away !!

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #8078670

A little late reading here but Carol your tiles match the ones under my carpet in the basement!!LOL I have some peeled up but of course it is cement under neath so I had ceramic tiled on that side.
Weather sure seems to be all over the place. We had a lovely day till about an hour ago and the wind has picked up and it's not too nice now!
Of course just in time for the long weekend.
We have been close to freezing sitting at 3-4 degrees a couple of times this week and it sure feels like fall here. I have been shutting the G house door to at least keep the tomatoes going for a while.
I now have a hankering for pie thanks to this thread.
MMMMMM'
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #8078925

Ann (Edmonton) ... have an outrageously scrumptious Peach Pie recipe !!!

About 10 minutes ago, I THOUGHT the rain had thickened to SLEET .. closed my eyes and shut the drapes :-)
No doubt the furnace will be on tonight ..

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #8078926

The rain has now reached Ottawa, but I got in some good gardening earlier in the day. Went to a hockey game this afternoon - DGTwins have been in hockey camp all week and were on opposite teams. Game ended as a tie.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8079010

Have been without internet access for a few days but am back on line now. Don't know what happened, when I called they said I had no service to the house and would have to have a technician come - he could come on Sunday. Today I am back on line so called and cancelled the technician and hope this lasts.
Earl is heading my way quickly! Right now an eery calm in the air and the air feels very heavy - the barometer is dropping quickly. Supposed to be here in full force by morning but the rain will be starting any time. I am on the west side of it so will get more rain, the east side gets more wind. Forecast now for 70 - 80 mm of rain and 80 km winds. Forecast changes all the time though as they really can't predict what a hurricane will do. I am on the Bay of Fundy and sometimes it is coming up there and sometimes going more towards Nova Scotia. Will see tomorrow what it brings. Have battened down the hatches, picked up and put away everything in the yard, put in a few groceries and filled the bathtub with water. As ready as I can be I guess. Keep your fingers crossed that it slows down a lot before it gets here.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8079101

So ann(abelle) do you want some extra tiles? Hmmmmm?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #8079237

Carol, LOL I do have a box of spares somewhere but we are talking about what to do next, basement or garage.
I think it's my Hubby's turn to have a play space so the garage may win.
We are putting in new basement windows this fall to make it safer and more efficient then will look at the bigger picture with $$.

Will keep my fingers crossed that you folks down east have a gentle rain this weekend.

Jen
Our cable went out and it ended up being a tree branch that had rubbed through the cable making it work intermittently. Took ages to figure this out! Good luck with your computer!

Marilynn, I find if I make a pie I tend to eat the whole thing. I will pass this time on the peach pie recipe, just dreaming!.
Ann
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #8079563

Earl has been downgraded quite a bit but they are still saying LOTS of rain. It has moved more towards Nova Scotia so I hope the folks there fare alright - they always seem to get the worst of the storms.
Didn't sleep well last night listening for wind and rain.
Wind picking up now and is raining but not really hard. They are forecasting 70 mm and should get that much in about 3 hours or 25mm per hour. It has been so dry here there is lots of talk about flash flooding. We'll see what today brings.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #8079593

Just running out, on my way to Meaford, will come back and gab as soon as I get back..lordy, got my winter clothing out, it's windy, raining and so very COLD, did I say cold, wasn't it just a couple of days ago that they said we broke a record for heat/humidity??? what's with that!

Sure hope the storm passed you all by..

Picking up some ladies, don't want to leave them waiting in the rain, can't sun ourselves so might as well go shopping..lol

Keep care!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8079776

WELL .. the 'F' word has appeared on one of our local gardening sites .. they think that FROST 'might' drop by on Monday morning.
Our furnace came on last night .. and I have just come in from out with the dogs and Betty and myself are BOTH warm weather dressers today !!

Laurie .. I see they have downgraded Earl .. hope it stays that way .. stay safe ..

Off to pay for Piper's 'Puppy Kindergarten' .. he had me up at 4:30am today !!

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #8080204

The storm is over and Earl is rapidly departing the Maritimes, the sun is shining but is still little windy. Had a period of half an hour to and hour of really heavy rain and high winds. The wind was loud I could hear it roaring in the house. Glad that is all we got, no damage in NB but I guess there was quite a bit in Nova Scotia and quite a few people are still without power there.
Never even got out of my pajamas today - guess there is not much point now.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8080291

Wow, windy as all heck here and "M" I'd say the "F" word is in my neck of the woods as well..

OMG was it cold on the bay, why couldn't I have gone rock searching (painted rock swap) when it was 90 +, lordy talk about cold, on my way to Meaford went through Wasaga Beach and Collingwood, lots of garage sales, bought a little singing birdy, motion movement makes him sing for all of $2.00 lordy bought one this spring and paid almost $20..anyway, everyone were wearing heavy clothing and raincoats..

Between Wasaga Beach and Collingwood it stopped raining for awhile and I was greated by a lovely rainbow..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #8080296

Got the upstairs and downstairs fireplaces on to take the chill out, kettled boiled ready for hot chocolate and am going to have a hot bath to get rid of the chill..what idiot goes out on a cold, raining day picking rocks???? Please be kind and don't answer that question..lol

Ohhh did purchase a few nice goodies..got my youngest a 2' tall golfing santa, just what he wanted..lol..him being single, he needs Christmas ornaments to be part of Christmas celebration, I'm sure I've said that before and he's a storage area in basement with all the goodies mom has bought or made for him..I never seem to learn..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #8080382

A few nice days here but a couple of hours ago the cold front started to move in - just now some thunder and lightening- would not mind a bit of rain, the ground is pretty dry.
Been buying bulbs this week, lots of little spring bulbs, a few tulips ( which I normally never plant but it was a pretty mix of apricot and peach) and ordered some I could not find. About 300 altogether plus I have an order of lilies coming too! Guess I will be doing a lot of digging in the dirt, nice that most of the little bulbs dont need to go too deep.

Yesterday one of the Hort office staff and I dug up two of the 3 old peonies in the front garden of the office , split them and cleaned them up, ready for plant share on Sat coming. Could have used a bob cat, would have been a lot quicker, those old peonies sure have root systems on them! I keep a root of one which I recall was a very pale pin/.white color. Next week we will tackle the 3rd one!

And I have been splitting iris ready for plant share and other things too, dug up two Fleabanes today and split them up keeping one piece of each color for myself and put them in a new location.

Got a few more inches of the hall floor sanded yesterday, think I'll go do a bit more, I am getting sensible and throwing sheets over furniture and putting a mask.
Neighbor Marie gave me a good size zuchini this morning so I will make a zuchini pie for supper and some of it for the freezer- maybe!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #8080535

A COOL and WINDY day here .. on the cusp of C O L D ~~~

Betty .. rock hunting takes place in ALL kinds of weather .. glad you had a good time, albeit a cool time..

Signed the Pipester up for Puppy Kindergarten .. brought in more of the garden .. am kinda worried bout the tomatoes and that 'F' word.

Came in once and walked into the living room. only to be greeted by the sight I am uploading, AHhhhhhhhh to be a pampered pet :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8080609

"M" lol you just can't have a better day than that can you..got to tell you, if we do return to life, want to be someone who cares as much about the furries as we do..

OMG Carol, you've had a productive day! You'll be going to bed shortly and dreaming of bulbs..yikes..your yard must look spectacular come spring...not only gardening but cooking as well..you put me to shame girl, I'm going to have left over chinese food that I bought yesterday in town..talk about lazy..

Yawning here, had a zillion things I thought I'd do tonight and layed on the chesterfield doing nothing...cold/heat guess both did me in..oh well, I'm an early riser, am sure I'll catch up in the a.m.

Laurie, just listened to the news, seems you are ok, Earl lost his steam..thank goodness for you! We had same today and tonight, heavy winds & rain, bit of clean up in the morning..nothing like you all got though...

Ann, doing the same with windows..got 2 large front ones ordered and got a call Thursday to say they are in..old ones not energy efficient...couldn't you share hubby's garage space project and make yourself a fun room i.e. craft room etc. - always nice getting additional space..

ViolaAnn doe the boys always play on opposite teams or was it just for today? yikes, always guaranteed to have a winner that way..do you have a lot of work putting your hosta's to bed at this time of year? mind boggling isn't it that we broke heat record on Monday and tonight we're worried about the "F" word...too soon, far too soon!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #8081186

Betty - the twins are a girl-boy. This was just a hockey camp. Last year they played on the same team. As we left this game, DGD was saying she doesn't want to play hockey this year and was told she's already signed up and paid for it. We'll see how that pans out. I think she was tired.

Putting the hostas to bed consists of moving some of them around if I've decided that they would look better elsewhere, planting the seedlings that are still in cups (actually, I just sunk the cups into the ground), planting some of my mini-hostas into the garden for the winter (those that have been in pots) and sinking other pots into the unscreened compost that will soon be in the middle of my veggie garden.

There are a few other hostas that I will dig to divide while others I'll divide in the spring. The ones I'll divide are those that are getting too large for where they are but which I like in their current position. Some others I'll divide for a sale which helps me cover my costs and will also net a donation for my church renovation. Most of the division I'll do in the spring though.

Today we are gonna play hookey from church but will attend a wedding this afternoon with the reception this evening. No gardening today.

This thread is getting long. I'll be back in a few minutes to start a new one if that's OK with others.

Have a great day.

Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8081195

You'll find a new thread at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1127088/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America