Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Video Player ?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 4, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippenjazz
Marks, MS

August 9, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8030077

I am having to connect to the internet with a 3G laptop connect card. A little faster than dial up.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a video player that works with youtube videos. I would like one that would allow me to download the video completely and then play it. All this buffering makes the video now about worthless.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2010
2:14 AM

Post #8030668

You can hit the Pause button on the Youtube vid, and let it finish (or almost finish) downloading, before resuming playback.

HTH,
Eggs
Pippenjazz
Marks, MS

August 10, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #8031555

Thanks for the data.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8032049

Does that do what you wanted it to do? It's my "work-around" for my wife's machine (which must be connected wirelessly, due to it's location - which, unfortunately is about as far from the nearest repeater as it could be). Needless to say, without buffering most of the video, it's very choppy.

An alternative would be to download the video to view at a later time. This would require a program to save the "flv" file (the format that Youtube, as well as a plethora of other web pages use to stream the video to you in). There's a free addon for Firefox, that does this easily enough.

You'd then need a program that can view stand-alone (not embedded in a web page, that includes all of the code necessary to make the vid play in your browser) "flv" files. Plenty of "free flv players" out there.

HTH,
Eggs

BirdOfPrey
Reno, NV

September 24, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #8117811

vlc player...plays anything. "1click you-tube downloader" is a Firefox add-on that does exactly what it says it does. Go to addon's under tools and search "youtube" if you cant find it. vlc is at vlcplayer.org

once the addon is installed it gives you 3 formats below and to the right of the video...just click one and bang...done

3 choices are flv= low-ish quality but small file size...mp4= better quality but slightly larger files...3gp=standard quality cell phone format

hope that helped...

Bird

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America