Photo by Melody

Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine: Great for my class!

Communities > Forums > Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal MedicineReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

August 10, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #8030782

Thank you so much for the great article!

One of these days I swear I'm going to cross the border between OK and AR and go to this place!
I teach Humanities at a community college and some of the students tend to think that modern medicine sprang full blown one fine day in March. Maybe in Germany? LOL So, from now on I'm going to use this article as a discussion starter and have students interview their oldest relatives to find out what, if any, traditional medicines helped get their ancestors through the hard times so that these sometimes knuckleheads could be sitting in my class!

My mother was a former Army RN who learned herbal lore from my grandmother, a part Native American midwife and traditional medicine lady. Mom used traditional medicine on herself and our family from time to time and worked for several years as a county health nurse, traveling into some pretty primitive areas of Idaho where there were small communities of miners who had been isolated since shortly after the civil war. With no phones, no radios, and no television, they made most of what they owned and took good care of what little they had. Mom always worked with the wise women in these communities, knowing that their knowledge and authority were priceless and respecting them as was their due. Over time, they developed a mutual admiration society, my mom and these older ladies, and traded medical "secrets" for many years. She took them "China tea", coffee, sugar, AND free toothpaste and brushes! They let her give vaccinations, test vision and hearing, and bring in free glasses and hearing aids. Although I found these ladies a bit intense and a little scary when I was quite young, they were always kind to me. I ate many wonderful meals and tasty treats in their quiet, tidy homes.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8030817

Thank you so much for your kind words!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved this article CajuninKy 13 Jan 8, 2008 9:02 PM
Edible, medicinal herbs kaziah 0 Jan 7, 2008 4:22 PM
Sassafras and other plants also native to TN Gingham_farms 2 Aug 9, 2010 6:04 AM
Goldenseal patriciahunt 3 Jan 6, 2013 4:01 PM
Polk Liquidambar2 12 Aug 11, 2010 7:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America