Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Fall Tropical Plant Swap Sign Up

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 41, Views: 636
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 10, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8031064

Fall Tropical Plant Swap (for PLANTS FOR zone 8+) you can live anywhere.
Names will be taken from August 10-August 28. When you send acceptance to participate, please email me the following-do NOT include it in post for your safety.
Username
Name
Mailing Address

Partners names will be sent August 29.
Mailing should be done by September 20.

Swap rules:
Value must be at least $15 to $20 (not including postage) If you donít have anything to trade, you can order a plant and have it shipped to your trading partner. One plant can be sent or as many as you need to get to that value amount.

You may post a wish list but your swap buddy is not required to send you the plants you post. Your wish list is a great tool if your buddy decides to order something online and have it shipped to you from the source.

Try to keep trading partner a secret until you get your plants.
When you get your new plant(s) please post a picture to show off the plants and as a thanks to the sender.
I have always enjoyed swaps and make new plant friends. Enjoy!

List of participants:
froggies_girl
rvnsbrk
happgarden
Kwolflady
vnickdd
Tina_A
darkmoondreamer
catzgalore
dispatcher1
DIRTYGIRL71
GAgirl1066
cjcjmass
roxxanne
chellflower
okyo

Ok, check out the list and make sure those who want to participate are on it.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2010 5:41 AM
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8031080

Sign me up Julie!!

Thanks,
Neener

I'll take anythiing you all send me. :0)
I would like an elephant ear of some kind. They are so cool and the ones I tried to plant this year didn't even come up.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 12:44 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8031130

Neener, you beat me... ;D
I'm in.
I really am not hard to please but,
Wish someday to have:
Thai Beauty Caladium
Hot Lips Caladium
Xanthosoma albo marginata
String of Pearls
Burrows tail
Orchid
Desert Rose
brugmansia - double

Have:
lots ee's
ginger - butterfly
hibiscus
bananas

Updated to add list

This message was edited Aug 26, 2010 7:18 AM
Kwolflady
Munden, KS

August 10, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8031441

Hi,
Can you sign me up. Karen in KS

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 10, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #8031573

Welcome!
rvnsbrk
happgarden
Kwolflady
I've added your names to the list.
love, julie
vnickdd
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8035191

I'm in. I'll send the dmail.

As to what I'd like:
strange gingers
Naranjilla
Kangaroo Paw
ylang ylang
anything that fruits in 9+ (except Oranges, apples, grapefruit, strawberry and blueberry - already have these guys)

. . . basically anything not on my "have" list.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010 4:55 PM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 13, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #8037655

I forgot to mention that you may create a "wish list" just in case your buddy wants to buy a plant and have it shipped to you from an online source. Thanks, julie

My Wish List
magnolia macrophylla (Big-leaf magnolia)
Bird of Paradise
pine cone ginger
any kind of banana
any kind of elephant ear (except the common kind)
any kind of hardy hibiscus

thanks, julie
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #8038222

I want it too. I missed the spring one, so I am glad to get into this one. Thanks

Here is my wish list
Orange Bird of Paradise
elephant ears
philodendron
gingers
anything tropical would also be nice

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 7:30 AM

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 7:31 AM

This message was edited Aug 28, 2010 3:41 PM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 14, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #8038897

Hi, Tina!

If any of you want to edit your post to make a wish list, please feel free to do so! love, julie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8039081

froggie, you want hardy hibiscus?

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 14, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #8039194

Yes, I want hardy hibiscus. Lost most of my tropical hibiscus in the freeze last year, so I'm done with them! Only planting hardy ones now. love, julie
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8039217

Hello all, glad I made this Fall swap!

Wish list...

Any Cajun Hibiscus
hibiscus acetosella "Haight Ashbury", "Maple Sugar"
Stuttgart variagated Cannas
Black Magic Elephant Ears
Hardy Hibiscus - Kopper King, Luna White, Luna Swirl or Turn Of The Century

This message was edited Aug 15, 2010 3:41 PM

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #8041601

I would love to be in this as well ;) Sign me up please ;)
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8041629

Sign me up also. I can't grow tropcials outdoors year round here, but I do have lighted indoors growing shelves where I grow Gessies and African violets. I have some Hardy hibiscus , desert rose and mandivilla to trade as they are rather large and if possible, I would hope to receive a small plant or a starter plant for my shelves. sounds like fun. I will send my d-mail. Lou
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #8041727

I'd like in too... but one question...you've put a price limit ((which I'm good with!!))... but is there a plant size ? Are we shipping whole plants?? tubers or bulbs?? etc. etc.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 15, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8041968

Count me in, I love the plant swaps. Really, really want a pink princess philo (but please don't buy, expensive) Any kind of tropical is good for me. Thanks

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 16, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8043031

Answering Dirtygirl71's question about how many plants to send, how big, etc. :
You may send a variety of plants or you may order online and have it mailed directly to your buddy. For example, I really want magnolia macrophylla. My buddy might order it and have it mailed to me. I would receive one plant within the price range, but it would be a great gift!
Hope this helps. Julie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8043827

froggie, it is ok, if I have something from my garden to mail also, or not?
Okyo
Manassas, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8045007

Sign me up for the trip. I never did this before but would love to give it the old heave ho. If I get out of line please get me back on track. I hope to have my gabizo green house done in the next couple of weeks. In the past when I have made trades I always tried to give the other person a bang for their buck & never received full value in some cases; so this sounds to good to be true. I will update my wish list ASAP. Jake

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 17, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8045508

Happgarden, yes, you may send things from your own garden!

Jake, nice to have you join! We will make sure you get your share this time! And congrats on your gazebo greenhouse! Sounds like a great project.

I am mourning the loss of my greenhouse. I still have not found anyone who can take it apart and move it to my new property. I thought my brothers and my nephews would do it, but no luck so far. And I cannot afford to pay someone to do it right now. Maybe I'll get lucky and can get it done before the mortgage company takes possession of the property!

Have a great day! Julie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8045662

Jake, have you posted a pic of the greenhouse? I would love to see it. That is one of my goals is to have a greenhouse again.

Julie, if I was there I would help you take it down. The new owners will probably rip it down. We moved from a house that my dh had built me a greenhouse and the new owners, boarded it up and made a shed...

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 18, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8047740

Got a letter from the mortgage company that they will start foreclosure proceedings on our previous home if we do not pay arrears by September 10. So, I still have time to get the greenhouse if I can just get my brothers and my nephews motivated! Together, it would only take them one day to take it apart, move it, and put the frame back together. I could put the panels on myself! Wish me luck getting them motivated!

So glad to see everyone joining the swap. I have a busy week this week, but plan to do something fun and enjoyable for the weekend. Going to Saturday market and local nursery (maybe they'll be marking their tropicals down)!

love, julie
vnickdd
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8047782

Sometimes moving them is more of a hastle than just buying a Greenhouse kit. The best deal going for a real greenhouse (unless you can find one used that you're willing to take apart and reassemble) is the one we got from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

or the smaller one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ft-x-10-ft-greenhouse-with-2-vents-93920.html

They literally drop off boxes on your doorstep, and from there it is like tinkertoys!
Took us about 2 days to get it all assembled.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 18, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #8048028

I could afford the smaller one sometime next year. What kind of foundation did you use? How did it work last winter during the unexpected long freeze? Thanks, julie
vnickdd
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #8048546

we used gravel from Home Depot, and only my most tender zone 11 stuff suffered with no heater. With the heater, we'll see this year.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #8049412

I have read on the greenhouse forum and looked like alot of people are trying them. The only negitive I heard was the way the panels are fixed in and I think alot of people just beefed that up and seem happy with them. It is surely the best deal around for sure.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 19, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #8050189

Cool! Looks like just what I'll need. And it would probably be cheaper than trying to move and reconstruct my other one. The screws are stripped, so I'd probably break some of the fiberglass panels on it. Now I just gotta figure out what I'll do with my babies until I can get one of these! thanks and love, julie
cjcjmass
Snellville, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8053520

Hello

(Waving to all of my Garding friends.)

I would love to join this swap and i'm glad to be back.

Wish list
Epi
Brugmansia - double
plumeria
hoya

Cindy

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 8:21 AM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 23, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #8057502

Welcome, Cindy!

Still have time to sign up! Anyone Else?
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #8058860

Me too, please.
Roxanne

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 25, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8061415

Welcome, Roxanne! Deadline is coming up fast. This is a fun swap if anyone else wants to join! love, julie
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8066191

Oooh, sign me up pleeeeaaase! I really enjoyed this swap last time!

My wishes...

variegated/unusual elephant ears
cannas - stuttgart, striped beauty
plumerias
jade vine (any color)
Xanthosoma robustum
variegated monstera (swiss cheese plant)
philodendron 'pink princess' (variegated)
...or other items shown on my want list

Froggies Girl, if worse comes to worse, you can build a nice sized GH very reasonably. We built my 8x10 last year from treated 2x4's (a 'lean-to' style roof is cheapest/easiest to make). I got two windows & door from resale/recycle shop and reused some old cement pavers for the floor. Last winter I covered the sides with 4mil plastic (already had corrugated on the roof)... when temps dropped below 20F I used a small bathroom heater and even my zone 11 plants thrived during our zone 8 winter! We recently covered the sides with corrugated panels... still didn't spend over $300 altogether for the GH itself. DH & I built it in only 2 days...nice little weekend project.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2010 9:36 PM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 28, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8066726

My dear swap friends, I am going to close sign-ups for this thread at midnight tonight (Saturday, August 28). I will assign names on Sunday, August 29. I have to do this because I am having surgery Thursday to have the lump under my arm removed. Doc says I'll be out of work for at least a week. I will, though, have plenty of time to "relax" and keep up to date with the swap. So, if no one objects, you will be receiving your buddy's name tomorrow.

If you haven't sent me your address info or haven't posted a wish list, please do so.
love to all, julie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8066794

Sounds good Julie, best of luck with the surgery. Be sure and take it easy.

Chell, would love to see your pics. I was thinking of putting a lean to on the front of my garden room. Being zone 5a I have to heat the garden room so it is a hybrid room, no windows north mostly glass south, insulated roof, live with propane so cost is a problem.
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #8068242

Is there anyone that does NOT want a brug? Trying to decide what to send. lol

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8068442

I would like something other than a brug. I have several that I'm struggling with right now :( Y'all please feel free to look through my journal and see what I have. I love LOTS of tropicals.

Julie~ Take care of yourself now :)

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8068447

I would rather not have a brug, I am getting rid of mine as they are just too much Diva's...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8068535

They may be Divas.. but when they do this it's so worth it. This is my Maya right now.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8068583

I can't get them to live over the winter indoors for some reason. I have tried them on my light stand but I guess the house is just too dry with electric heat.
So I'd rather not receive a brug. Lou
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8068636

rvnsbrk your Maya is gorgeous! I do applaud those of you with the patience to care for those lovelies

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 29, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #8069001

Okay, I almost have the list of buddies done. I will be sending everone a dmail about your swap buddy soon. love, julie

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

August 29, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #8069319

Swap is closed to new participants. Please follow the link below for our Send and Receive Thread!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125905/

Happy Swapping!

love, julie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America