Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

European Gardening: Pumpkins

Communities > Forums > European Gardening
bookmark
Forum: European GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8031072

I've been growing pumpkins for several years and have always had very good results. This year has been odd - late blossoming, and then almost exclusively male blossom. Where I have always gotten multiple pumpkins per plant, this year some plants absolutely nothing. Lots of leaf, good colour, no wilt or fungus - all looking incredibly healthy. Pollinators were late arriving this year, but have had lots of them for the past 6-7 weeks (especially hoover flies and bees) but so few female blossom across all breeds (12) of pumpkins.

Any one else? Any suggestions on why?

Baa

August 11, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #8033479

Laurie

I can only think that it sometimes just happens like that, some years you get a multitude of one gender over another despite previous regularity of behaviour.

The only thing you can do is ensure you hand pollinate when the females blossom, I apologise if that's me teaching you to suck eggs there.
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #8034893

Baa - actually I find your reply very reassuring. It was pretty close to what I was thinking, but I wanted to check with others to see if they had any further insights. It has made me think about how difficult it is to be a farmer (which I am not - I fall into the pleasure grower catagory) - to be growing for market, relying on that crop for your annual income, and to hit a year when your crop just does something unusual must be so difficult.

Baa, thank you for the reply. I appreciate it, and look forward to next year's sowing. And be assured, that is me, out there being the bee with my little paint brush, looking for every female blossom I can find.

All the best, Laurie
Baa

August 12, 2010
2:58 AM

Post #8034942

Any time.

I've never grown a pumpkin in my life, always fancied it but they take up too much space. My grandfather, a great one for veggies grew marrows every year and I know this was a problem some years.

Farmers usually have a few tricks up their sleeves for this kind of thing, IME but I couldn't even begin to imagine how they cope with this. Sometimes you just have to accept a lost crop.
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8035725

Generally, I just love growing them - this year I planted extra to have a charitable pumpkin sale - I was expecting a crop of about 400, but it looks like we will be lucky to get 100. Maybe they didn't like the idea of being rehomed.

Next year.
Baa

August 13, 2010
2:37 AM

Post #8036966

LOL could be!

I hope you get more.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other European Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Sweet Peas what is the English Secret? gardendragon 22 May 1, 2009 4:40 AM
where are you? mark 265 Apr 18, 2009 12:30 AM
calling all Irish gardeners mark 53 May 18, 2011 6:49 AM
Old Address in Edinburgh Dinu 7 Mar 26, 2013 10:31 AM
What's occuring in the backyard? Baa 201 Jun 2, 2007 12:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America