silver squill propapation

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Silver squill (quill) is one of my favorite plants and popular with my friends. I'd like to give them pots of their own for Xmas presents. I don't have a clue how to make more. It looks like I should be able to remove some bulbs from my plant but how, when, how many, set how deep? Any one out there have experience with them?

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have several pots of them and when they outgrow the pot I just dump them out and pull off as many bulbs as I would like and put in another pot....I just plant as deep as the bulb...It is not a fussy plant and I have found it very easy to start more.....

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you so much for your reply. You make it sound quite easy. About how many would you put in, say, a 4" round pot? Do you group them together or spread them around in the pot?

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I usually group them. ANd if you want a nice looking pot full for Christmas I would certainly use quite a few...More than 1 or 2...Maybe 10-12.......Seems to take them awhile to multiply.....oops...see you ask about a 4 inch pot....maybe 8..not sure what that would look like...Just whatever looks good to you....
This message was edited Aug 15, 2010 5:00 PM

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

I'll get at this right away so they have a good start. Will use bigger pots, just used 4" to get a good ratio of bulbs per pot. Just love this plant, it always looks great. Thank you for the advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.