Dahlias for 2010

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a few large dahlias this year that are looking great. I have had this one for years...don't know the name

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a new one

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have them mixed with my most favourite flower, petunias

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I also have a small pot dahlia that I bought & it is directly in the flower bed

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice Joanne. That white one is awesome. Love it. Dahlias are a challenge in South Florida, but decided to give Dahlia tubers one more try in 2010. This one is Dahlia "Winsome".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This is this morning's first bloom on a tall Dinnerplate Dahlia named "Lavengro"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This one is a Proven Winners Dahlia named "Eye Candy" blooming on Monday (Aug 9)

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And this one has been the best bloomer of the summer. It was grown from a seed pack named "Double Extreme Mix".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Joanne, your last photo looks like it may be a Proven Winners Dahlia named "Dalina Grande Toluca". Several colors in this Dahlia Series were available down here this spring and I saw some of the same ones up North this summer in nurseries.

Pretoria, South Africa

Your dahlias are all beautiful. I have a few tubers that I hope will sprout shortly - all gifts from friends and family, so NOID, and I started some seed. Hope to have lots frlowering this coming summer. They remind me of my granddad. He just loved them...

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

This year, I grew Cactus Mixed and mixed coccineas(Victoriana) from seed. The coccineas are much better bloomers than the cactus mix, which are just starting to bloom.

Joanna, the white one on top is stunning!! How do you get it to be so bushy?

Jon, the Lavengro reminds me of a zinnia I once had. And that Eye Candy certainly lives up to it's name!

~Daniel

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Joanna, you're dahlias are stunning, just like your petunias! Do you dig your tubers every year and store them or how do you over winter them? Would love to know!!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Here is a low quality picture of a coccinea. This one stood out because of the big blooms. Don't open the pic link, this is as good as it gets;)

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Stewart, TN

Last year I had so many dahlias I could hardly keep up with picking them for bouquets. This year almost none. They just quit blooming. I don't know if it was some kind of "wilt" or "blight" because there was no outward discoloration or pest - they just quit! Does anyone have any idea what it might have been? The plants are struggling to recover now and may yet have a few blooms before frost.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Daniel,

"Don't open the pic link, this is as good as it gets;)"

I did open the pic link, and got a decent picture. (grin)

ZM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images