Hibiscus, not just for U & Me to enjoy!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I came home yesterday to this! Grabbed my camera and waited patiently for them to come back. There were three of them. I need a little practice shooting them, this was my first attempt. But now that I know they are around, I will hopefully get plenty of practice!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Cute little guy!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

There really noisy too, they chirp and click constantly when there is more then one around. I actually saw them battling over who's flower is who's!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

The hummers that frequent my yard have gotten over their shyness and buzz, click and chirp at me on a regular basis. Guess I'm an unwitting participant of the who's flower is who's battle :-) I found it particularly interesting because I read somewhere that hibiscus do not attract hummers...

Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

Kristen,

Great pictures, we only have pictures of them going to the feeder. Seen one land on a hibiscus but I didn't have the camera.

Patrick

Thumbnail by stplong
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I thought that they didn't attract hummers either. But there they were. First time for me. They only went to the red one. I never see them at the feeder I have out for them... Nice photo Patrick!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice photos. I believe hummingbirds are attracted to the color red so that's why they would gravitate toward the red hibiscus. The majority of hummingbird feeders have red as their primary color.

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

great pictures Kristen! I know you are a photographer, do you do it professionally?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Hi Karen,

Yes I do photography as a profession. I worked for a newspaper for 4 years when I got out of college. Then I started my own co. I have so much to learn. I would like to take some more classes since what I learned in school is squat! The camera has changed so much in just a few years. I have a website if you wana see.

www.EmanuelsonPhotography.com

I started as a macro lover, that is what made me take it up in school. Then when I realized I could have fun and make money at the same time, I thought, why not. I specialize in sports, but don't get too much work for that in CT...

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW, great website Kristen! I enjoyed a cup of coffee while I looked through all of your photos....you are very good! I understand the artistic mind...My 23 year old daughter is a professional artist, she draws 3D animated characters for video games such as World of Warcraft and Everquest..

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Oman! That is so very cool! Im impressed. I am not a very talented sketch artist. I can paint a little bit and do plenty of creative crafts. I design jewelry as well, but my biggest passion is photography. My best friend is an illustrator in NY right now. The stuff she can do is amazing. I never met a 3D artist though. How cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.