Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hibiscus: Hibiscus, not just for U & Me to enjoy!

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 10, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8035357

I came home yesterday to this! Grabbed my camera and waited patiently for them to come back. There were three of them. I need a little practice shooting them, this was my first attempt. But now that I know they are around, I will hopefully get plenty of practice!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8035360

Cute little guy!

Thumbnail by blupit007

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8035363

There really noisy too, they chirp and click constantly when there is more then one around. I actually saw them battling over who's flower is who's!

Thumbnail by blupit007

guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8036101

The hummers that frequent my yard have gotten over their shyness and buzz, click and chirp at me on a regular basis. Guess I'm an unwitting participant of the who's flower is who's battle :-) I found it particularly interesting because I read somewhere that hibiscus do not attract hummers...
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #8036708

Kristen,

Great pictures, we only have pictures of them going to the feeder. Seen one land on a hibiscus but I didn't have the camera.

Patrick

Thumbnail by stplong

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #8036743

I thought that they didn't attract hummers either. But there they were. First time for me. They only went to the red one. I never see them at the feeder I have out for them... Nice photo Patrick!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8037115

Nice photos. I believe hummingbirds are attracted to the color red so that's why they would gravitate toward the red hibiscus. The majority of hummingbird feeders have red as their primary color.
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #8037250

great pictures Kristen! I know you are a photographer, do you do it professionally?
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #8037707

Hi Karen,

Yes I do photography as a profession. I worked for a newspaper for 4 years when I got out of college. Then I started my own co. I have so much to learn. I would like to take some more classes since what I learned in school is squat! The camera has changed so much in just a few years. I have a website if you wana see.

http://www.EmanuelsonPhotography.com

I started as a macro lover, that is what made me take it up in school. Then when I realized I could have fun and make money at the same time, I thought, why not. I specialize in sports, but don't get too much work for that in CT...
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8040053

WOW, great website Kristen! I enjoyed a cup of coffee while I looked through all of your photos...you are very good! I understand the artistic mind...My 23 year old daughter is a professional artist, she draws 3D animated characters for video games such as World of Warcraft and Everquest..
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #8040617

Oman! That is so very cool! Im impressed. I am not a very talented sketch artist. I can paint a little bit and do plenty of creative crafts. I design jewelry as well, but my biggest passion is photography. My best friend is an illustrator in NY right now. The stuff she can do is amazing. I never met a 3D artist though. How cool!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America