Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Elderberry

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 12, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8039752

my tree is loaded down with berries. Can the chickens eat them. The wild birds do
Catscan
Lodi
United States

August 14, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8039783

The concern with elderberries seems to be that the whole plant contains fairly high levels of cyanide...which is released harmlessly by the berries when they are cooked.

On the other hand, wild birds do seem to eat them raw with no problem at all. There are a lot of plants that are listed as potentially toxic to certain animals, but in reality seem to be harmless. My chickens consume all the oxalis and wisteria they can get their beaks into (they have stripped a huge wisteria vine clean each year) and have never shown any illness at all, but both are listed as toxic to poultry.

I would go ahead and feed them the berries, maybe a little at first and then building up to a larger amount. All the websites where people discuss their chickens eating elderberries seem to agree that the chickens love them and no harm done.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=44997.0;prev_next=prev

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 6:01 PM
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #8039809

Thanks Cat. My geese and yard ducks have stripped my Wisteria
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 14, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8040173

I've never seen a chicken eat anything bad for them yet. They seem to know. One of my fawns however, just pulled and consumed three blinky christmas lights from the string around the chicken pen.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #8040404

wow hope the glass doesn't kill it
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 15, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #8042280

It certainly shows no ill effects. The must have run out of hostas.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8042949

giggle...
cerridwenn
Farmington, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8055062

donna, you don't want elderberry jelly or syrup? cold and flu season is coming quickly! if you cut the fronds of berries and put them in a bag in the freezer they are really easy to roll off the stems and use later when you have time.

also, regarding eating them, there is one species that is not supposed to be toxic when fresh. i believe it is sambucus nigra. so if you know what yours are you may not have to worry about the toxicity. that is according to my friend who is a licenced herbalist, i know that many information sources just say that all of the species can not be eaten raw so maybe it is still undetermined.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #8055815

that's why we aren't eating them. I don't know which one it is as I dug it from the wild many year ago and DH dug it brought it here when we moved. I plant fruiting trees and bushes just for the birds. now that I have chickens they get some too

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8055831

Donna, if the berries are purple/black, you can eat them cooked in pies, jams, jellies, cough syrup... The red elderberries, Sambucus racemosa are said to be poisonous by most people, and all parts of any elder are toxic except the berries.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/959/

Don't confuse unripe black elderberries which are reddish, with true red elderberries. (See photos on link above.) You probably wouldn't find Sambucus racemosa where you live anyway.

The red elderberries and gold elderberries are inedible (but, ornamental and shade-tolerant). The American and black elderberry (native to Europe) are edible. Blue elderberries (native to Pacific Northwest) are OK in wine and preserves.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8055971

mine ripen from green to red to black

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #8055978

Yep, that's the kind you want! When you rinse them, any green and red ones usually float to the top and you can skim them off. Much easier to stem them if you freeze them overnight... the tiny, tiny ones won't hurt you.

I run my berry juice and pulp through a cheesecloth or jelly bag to get out all the seeds, stem bits and skins after I have cooked them in some water.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #8056377

Oh goodie. I might just make some jelly then if I have enough left

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America