Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Vine ID anyone?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

While I did post this on the Vine forum thought I'd ask you all what you thought as many of you live in woody areas like I do...found this blooming yesterday in a shady wooded area that gets filtered morning sun...Thanks!

Deanna

Thumbnail by rednyr
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

A species of Thunbergia perhaps??
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Looks like a Butterfly Vine, Clitoria ternatea.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Could be... The leaves reminded me of my sky vine, but i can definitely see Butterfly vine.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

clitoria viginianum

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2028/

clitoria ternatea is blue

Johns Island, SC

Agree with imzadi, based on the color. C. ternatea is a much "bluer" blue, but the flower is about the same size and shape, and leaves appear identical (to me). A grower friend of mine fell in love with C. ternatea a few years ago and decided to propogate/sell them. There was virtually no interest from the retailers she supplied. As usual, she always listed the Botanical name first on the plant stakes in the pots. She couldn't understand why these beautiful plants she had grown generated zero interest in her customers. She had a sudden "Gestalt" moment, and instead of printing "Clitoria ternatea" on her labels the next year, she printed "Blue Heaven" (or some such silly descriptor), followed by "C. ternatea". Sold her entire crop in the first 3 weeks, and had to scramble to fill demand through the rest of the season... What's in a name? (Apparently, EVERYTHING!). True story.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Clitoria ternatea doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and might not give you the vision that you want in your garden. Unless you hang with a bunch of monks Latin isn't the best.

Johns Island, SC

Yeah, Core. Exactly what I was suggesting...you can't judge a plant by it's label. People either...

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate it -

Deanna

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lucky find, Deanna:) It sure is purdy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.