Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Oleanders: Rooting cuttings

Communities > Forums > Oleanders
bookmark
Forum: OleandersReplies: 26, Views: 251
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

August 15, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #8040700

What is the easiest or best way to root cuttings? What is the longest cutting that you have had success with?
Mickey
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #8048882

I'm glad they started this forum and hope somebody answers your questions, Mickey, because I would like to know the same things. I have one double pink oleander that we bought this spring. Hopefully it will like the soil here and we will be able to start more bushes for a hedge.
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

August 18, 2010
11:06 PM

Post #8048896

I find one of the quickest ways is to root 4-6inch,pencil thickness or less semi hardwood cuttings in water,using a soft drink bottle and you only need an inch or 2 of water. I keep the lid on to keep the humidity up. Place it in a warm bright position. Usually only takes a matter of days before roots start to form. I have found the green softwood cuttings seem to take longer.

Thumbnail by brical1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

August 18, 2010
11:14 PM

Post #8048899

brical,
Wow a soda bottle! I would have never thought to put the top on it to keep the humidity up. What a great idea!Do you put any thing like bleach or peroxide in the water?
Now I have to go start rounding up soda and water bottles.
I have to make my third trip to get some cuttings near my house...they are drying out. The water bottle idea should be a big help. can you take several cuttings from the same branch like middle cuttings?
Thank you so much for the tip!!!
Mickey
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

August 18, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #8048901

Lady Pearl,
What double did you get?
Mickey
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

August 18, 2010
11:59 PM

Post #8048919

Yes I have taken a piece approx 12inches and made 3 cuttings from it. Trim the leaves back. Wish I had a pic to show you as I planted some of these cuttings out just a few weeks back and forgot to take pics.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #8049598

Thanks for the propagation tips brical1!

Mickey, it is a Calypso (Adelfa de Calipso). It's really pretty.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 20, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #8053142

So are you using the large soda bottles or the 12 to 16 oz?
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

August 30, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #8071854

Well some how I just wiped out what I just wrote . I will have to rewrite it at another time, I'm on my husbands lap top while we are traveling. So far I haven't seen any oleander but we are mostly just of the freeway.
I did see a wonderful trumpet vine I must have in Arizona at the La Pasada Hotel in Winslow Arizona. It turns almost a very dark burgundy.I'll be sure to call them once we get back!
Mickey

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 8:57 PM
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 30, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #8071908

I have two cutting in my juice jar. Am I suppose to remove all leaves? Mickey, hope you are having a great time.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #8074712

Sharon,
you can remove the leaves if you want to. I usually remove bottom 2/3rd of leaves so that the energy goes into root production. also remove any wood that looks dead while it is in water. ok to remove growth tip if it looks dead.
Mickey, remember the double red cuttings I got from sandiego. They have looked dry but I still left them in water. Now they are rooting.
sharon, I add a pinch of cinnamon powder which is antifungal and keeps the diseases away in water.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 1, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #8075805

Thank you so much. I have cinnamon for my coleus cuttings.
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

September 3, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #8078231

Usha,
I had my husband get some charcol to put in the water for me. I thought it might keep the water clean...we'll see what I have when I get home. I have a few large containers with cuttings. The humidity was building up so much I just have the lids partially sitting on the top of the jars.
The cinamon sounds like a great idea. I dnever kenw that. Camomile is good too but my Aunt said you need the German kind. They do something to the American kind so it doesn't disenfect as well.
Mickey
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #8092793

I covered my cuttings with a ziplock bag. A week later, one rooted and other leaves are looking green. Thank brical1 for your tip.
My cuttings are inside my house at my waist level so I can see them. I noticed that there is black fungus dots growing on these cuttings. probably due to high humidity. How do you all get rid of it?
I gave the cuttings a bath in water with neem oil. Then I removed all the brown leaves. sprayed the cuttings with neem oil. Then put them in a new plastic cup and put on a new ziplock bag. I am not sure if neem oil is a remedy for the black fungus but will see in a week.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 11, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #8093815

What about a few drops of peroxide in your water? I just automatically use it.

I found a double bloom yellow and pink fragrant oleander. Woodland's Nursery. $15.00 for 1 gal.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8094610

I use peroxide too. Love to see those bubbles. I have double pink with regular leaves and variegated leaves. Both are highly fragrant. Also have double white with lots of fragrance. Will you be coming to phx area soon?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 12, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #8095888

I was trying to come to the RU but they chose a date I could not come.

I would love cutting of the two you now have. And when I get mine, I could get you cuttings. I will pay for postage. I also have 4 new cannas coming. One is the Tropicana Gold which is green leaves with yellow stripes and the flower is a mid dark yellow. I am looking for the Tropicana Red but every where I look, they are sold out.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #8095894

Sharon,
i can't make it to our garden get togethers this season. LMK and somehow we can meet together. I have tropicanna gold and I just got tropicanna red too. They grow like weeds for us. All you need is one bulb and they will grow mad by the end of season. Our boxstores carry them. I am sure yours will too in NV. I also have banana canna too but they don't like full sun.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 12, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #8095910

Oh, I know about cannas. I have about 20 different ones. I have an area that the original Tropicana has taken over. I have workers coming on Saturday and we are going to dig up the whole areas. Probably over 100 Tropicana. I planted some new ones last year and I have at least five new plants on each. I have to divide them but they are still blooming.

I have really over done my passion. I have about 20 hardy hibiscus, about the same in cannas and way to many irises. I am going to run out of room soon then what am I going to do. LOL.
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

September 17, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #8105387

Hi everyone,
I came back to see lots of my little cuttings had rooted. I took larger containers and put them in and put the tops on only partially. That way I could do more and larger cuttings. I'm potting them up now as I have the time. I even put cuttings into 1 gallon jars. I also put charcoal in the water to help keep the water clean.
Sadly in Texas I only got a few cuttings and I mixed them all up. I did get a variegated one from a garden friend in Houston.
Galveston Island was amazing!!! It was just too humid to get out of the car. I don't know when the weather is do able but not in September for sure.
Now I need to find a gardening buddy on Galveston that needs something from me.
For now,
Mickey
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

September 18, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #8105427

Mickey,are you saying you went to Galveston and didn't come back with cuttings...I would have been out at first light with the pruners err camera :0)!You needed another Oleander addict with you to get the job done lol!!

Thumbnail by brical1

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8123753

This may be a silly question but can you propagate oleanders at only certain times of the year? Is it okay to root cuttings during the fall or winter?
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

September 27, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8124281

Yes you can,but you will need either a warm bright position.-near a window or if you have access to a heat pad or grow/shop lights. I have successfully grown cuttings this way over winter...
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8124991

Okay, that's good. Thank you!
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8535080

I never realized you could start them from cuttings! Anyone have any nice pink cuttings available? We had a terrible dry cold winter and lost many of our 20 year old plants. I was in the stores looking and they don't have anything. I would not mind starting new ones. Mom loves the pinks too and she lost quite a few too. Dad cut two more out yesterday. It is a big job cutting out those plants. I stood looking at my yard yesterday realizing my two best are not coming back and they were the pinks.. I only have reds old standard reds left.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8535759

I have a double yellow and a double peach pink I could trade some cuttings for a few of your cannas. Pictures below.

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8535763

The peach pink

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Oleanders Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Oleander Forum! melody 7 Aug 1, 2010 9:02 AM
Show us your Oleanders brical1 46 Aug 22, 2010 11:11 PM
My special treasured seedlings brical1 43 Jul 31, 2012 8:07 PM
new forum MickeyAz 0 Aug 4, 2010 10:13 AM
New Photos-Arizona MickeyAz 3 Aug 15, 2010 1:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America