Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Give Peach a chance?: Dwarf peach tree with small fruits

Communities > Forums > Article: Give Peach a chance?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Give Peach a chance?Replies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #8044289

Have you ever heard of it? That is what we were told by the previous home owner. It is at least 15 years old but hasn't gotten any taller than 10 foot. This thing just wouldn't die even though it was planted way too close too a huge white pine. As a result it is lopsided but is loaded with peaches each year, although they are the size of an apricot. Lots of peaches that drop end up spouting. I saved 5 and planted them in another spot. The second year they flowered and produced a handful of peaches and the third year they were loaded with peaches. I didn't prune them since they don't get very tall and have an open habit. I have never found a name for it or any information that a dwarf peach tree with small fruits exists. Here is a photo of fruit.

Thumbnail by eden100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #8044440

That's interesting. How is the flavor? I did not search for any dwarf information in my research, but there may be.
That picture shows a dense set of peaches. I wonder if they are all small because of not being thinned. I saw an almost immediate difference when I thinned my peaches. Next year, for fun, you might try removing many tiny peaches soon after they form, and just leaving one every five inches. You might see those getting bigger than the ones you leave alone.

One way or another though, it sounds like you have easy peaches!
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #8047991

The flavor is peachy. :)
Weigela2
Mountain Grove, MO

July 23, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9215451

hm, the fruit size might just be related to not thininning? otherwise, there are dwarf/patio peaches and nectariens to be found, but they are a certain type of dwarf. these trees have very short internodes (the stretch of twig in between two leaves or buds). I work with fruit professionally (Missouri State Fruit Experiment Station, part of Missouri State University) and I would be interested in seeing some images?
susannehoward@missouristate.edu

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Give Peach a chance? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Peach pit trees gloria125 10 Aug 16, 2010 6:25 PM
Peach Corps carrielamont 7 Aug 17, 2010 5:56 PM
Give peach a chance baileyweb 1 Aug 16, 2010 7:34 AM
Too much trouble wormfood 1 Aug 16, 2010 6:23 PM
inspiration cfbloom 1 Aug 16, 2010 9:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America