Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Give Peach a chance?: Borers render peach variety extinct

Communities > Forums > Article: Give Peach a chance?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Give Peach a chance?Replies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8044346

Enjoyed the article, Sally. It reminded me of how I came to be a gardener. At age 15, an elderly neighbor called me to his garden to give me a peach he had grown. It was a huge freestone peach, almost softball-sized. The flesh was very sweet and so juicy that the trickle down my chin quickly became a torrent. The only peach to withstand Iowa winters--where the temperature has no trouble falling to -20F--in those days was was a small, white-fleshed peach that was favored by those suffering from constipation, if you get my drift. It was a good idea not to eat more than two at a sitting.

My kindly neighbor had for many years been buying bushels upon bushels of yellow freestone peaches during peach season. After the peaches had been processed, his wife gave him the pits to plant in his garden. He just kept on planting and selecting those seedlings that were able to survive the winter. Eventually had hit the jackpot with the peach I described above. Then he taught me how to bud graft. I thought that it was an absolute miracle that one could slip the bud of one peach under the bark of another and have it grow. Together we propagated his new peach until we had a six or so trees on each of our properties.

Several years later, my neighbor died. His fabulous peach trees suffered a similar fate, as no one was around to tend them after he was gone. My own trees flourished, and I often had to ration the fruit, since so many folks wanted to taste it. When I graduated from high school and went off to college, I entrusted the trees to my parents. While I was gone, they were attacked by peach borers. Since they bored into the trees underground, there was no visible sign of infestation or damage. By the time I figured out what was going on, the trees were beyond saving. Such was the brief life of the first yellow-fleshed peach to withstand Iowa's frigid winters.

Larry☼

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #8044432

Wonderful story, Larry! Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Give Peach a chance? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Peach pit trees gloria125 10 Aug 16, 2010 6:25 PM
Peach Corps carrielamont 7 Aug 17, 2010 5:56 PM
Give peach a chance baileyweb 1 Aug 16, 2010 7:34 AM
Too much trouble wormfood 1 Aug 16, 2010 6:23 PM
inspiration cfbloom 1 Aug 16, 2010 9:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America