Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Freezing before or after baking?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 20, Views: 224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8046130

I've been making Tammy's Zuchiini pie - Zuchini, onions,cheese, eggs, Bisquick ,oil, all mixed up and baked in a pie pan.

It's pretty big and I want to make smaller sizes and freeze but dont know ( and she is not sure either) if it should be frozen before or after baking!

Opinions please - suspect it probably works both ways but I am not experienced in freezing anything like this.

carol

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8047698

My opinion based on limited experience-----freeze before baking.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8048040

thanks! I was curious too. I have two unbaked and one baked in my freezer. But I won't pull them out 'til this winter.

Tam
helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 19, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8049569

I use to make blackberry pies and freeze them before baking... they came out beautifully. I don't know if the type of ingredients you are going to use would make a difference.
Helen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8069712

I'd be tempted to freeze some zucchini, then try thawing it and making the pie with it... if that worked, you'd just have to freeze the zucchini, cut the way you use it in the pie, rather than finding room in your freezer for the whole pie. Sounds like the other ingredients are readily available in winter...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8070290

Actually even the zuchini is readily available all year!

What I am doing is making it in very small pie plates (one and 2 portions) so that basically I am freezing individual pies so easier to store in the freezer and I dont have to bake a standard size pie

Anyway as it happens the zuchini patch this year is somewhat sparse so I dont have to do a lot of baking - usually I am busy making a variety of zuchini loaves and freezing them!
Adobe_Rose
Boise, ID
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8280636

I cooked mine first. Didn't think to freeze it uncooked.

I doubled the recipe and cooked it in a 13 x 9 pan. When it was cool, I cut it up and put in 'lunch' size containers and froze it. It was wonderful for a quick lunch during the winter. I also varied the cheese. I liked it with Swiss.

Another thing you could do, is line the pie pan with foil, spray well with Pam, then freeze or cook and freeze. When it is frozen, take it out of the pie pan and wrap it up well. When you are ready to cook it, peel off the foil and pop it back into the pie pan. (One year I froze several pies with all my pie plates and had to go buy more. So I learned.)

And, for critterologist, zucchini turns to mush when you freeze it. Or, can it.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 28, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #8280909

I froze the pies uncooked and they came out fine.

I agree with you rose about the frozen zuchini!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8280930

I steamed some before freezing, in addition to the fully made pies. I am going to try one of the pies tomorrow. Will try the steamed squash another time.

Tam
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

June 3, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8607036

I just happened upon this thead and would love to try the pie. Can anyone share the recipe with me?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8607194

4c grated/diced zucchini/summer squash
1/2c diced onion
3 eggs
1/2c oil (you can use less)
1c bisquick
1/2c grated cheese (or is it a cup?)
salt & pepper

Mix everything together and put it in a pie dish. Bake at 350deg
for maybe 40min (should be golden brown on top. Check w/a
toothpick to be sure its done)

Tam
helenchild
Decatur, GA

June 4, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8607743

Thanks, I like the looks of this. Its seems it might make a good lunch to take to work.
Helen
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 4, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8607975

Great sounding recipe and since the squash are just coming on I am going to try this right away
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

June 4, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8608084

Thank you Tammy! It sounds delicious & I can't wait to try it!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8609259

You can play with it too. I've added red peppers w/success. I love this with garden fresh tomatoes on the side too.

Tam
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 5, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8611723

Thanks for the recipe I tried it and it was delious one more use for squash noyice I did not say zuchinni since we have a hard time growing them here ..I now grow Zephyr which is a hybrid from Johhny's selected seeds does some what better than the zukes and has a wonderfull taste

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8612748

I use yellow summer squash myself.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 16, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8634328

Only got the recipe 11 days ago have now baked 3 pies my wife loves it cold she slices it and eats it out of hand she is diabetic and this is very good with less oil and egg beaters,So Tammy thank you very much for sharing,,PS I put mozzarella on top YUMMY

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8694356

Are you thawing it before baking, or putting the frozen pie in the oven? Just reading the recipe, my guess would be to combine and freeze all the ingredients except the Bisquick, and then add it to the wet ingredients just before baking. I'm not sure what would happen to the rising agents in the Bisquick if they were combined with liquids, but not baked right away. You might find that it doesn't puff up or form a crust the same way if you freeze & thaw it before baking. My mom makes a "quick quiche" that is a similar concept: you mix the Bisquick with the quiche ingredients, and it settles out and forms a sort of crust at the bottom, instead of making an actual pie crust and filling it with quiche ingredients. I've frozen unbaked pies in actual crusts, but just question if the Bisquick mixed in with the liquid ingredients would work or not. If you try it, please report back and let us know how it turned out!

helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 15, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8694382

I think I would bake this recipe before freezing it. Adobe Rose freezes it in single servings which makes sense to me.
Helen
PS I am making this this weekend.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8694612

I've tried it both ways. When baked first and then frozen it was just a tad drier than when fresh. And when completely mixed and then baked, it came out kinda rubbery. I think I prefer it baked first and then frozen but either way wasn't quite as good as fresh.

Tam

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America