Freezing before or after baking?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've been making Tammy's Zuchiini pie - Zuchini, onions,cheese, eggs, Bisquick ,oil, all mixed up and baked in a pie pan.

It's pretty big and I want to make smaller sizes and freeze but dont know ( and she is not sure either) if it should be frozen before or after baking!

Opinions please - suspect it probably works both ways but I am not experienced in freezing anything like this.

carol

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

My opinion based on limited experience-----freeze before baking.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

thanks! I was curious too. I have two unbaked and one baked in my freezer. But I won't pull them out 'til this winter.

Tam

Decatur, GA

I use to make blackberry pies and freeze them before baking.... they came out beautifully. I don't know if the type of ingredients you are going to use would make a difference.
Helen

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd be tempted to freeze some zucchini, then try thawing it and making the pie with it... if that worked, you'd just have to freeze the zucchini, cut the way you use it in the pie, rather than finding room in your freezer for the whole pie. Sounds like the other ingredients are readily available in winter...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Actually even the zuchini is readily available all year!

What I am doing is making it in very small pie plates (one and 2 portions) so that basically I am freezing individual pies so easier to store in the freezer and I dont have to bake a standard size pie

Anyway as it happens the zuchini patch this year is somewhat sparse so I dont have to do a lot of baking - usually I am busy making a variety of zuchini loaves and freezing them!

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

I cooked mine first. Didn't think to freeze it uncooked.

I doubled the recipe and cooked it in a 13 x 9 pan. When it was cool, I cut it up and put in 'lunch' size containers and froze it. It was wonderful for a quick lunch during the winter. I also varied the cheese. I liked it with Swiss.

Another thing you could do, is line the pie pan with foil, spray well with Pam, then freeze or cook and freeze. When it is frozen, take it out of the pie pan and wrap it up well. When you are ready to cook it, peel off the foil and pop it back into the pie pan. (One year I froze several pies with all my pie plates and had to go buy more. So I learned.)

And, for critterologist, zucchini turns to mush when you freeze it. Or, can it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I froze the pies uncooked and they came out fine.

I agree with you rose about the frozen zuchini!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I steamed some before freezing, in addition to the fully made pies. I am going to try one of the pies tomorrow. Will try the steamed squash another time.

Tam

Bolivar, OH

I just happened upon this thead and would love to try the pie. Can anyone share the recipe with me?

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

4c grated/diced zucchini/summer squash
1/2c diced onion
3 eggs
1/2c oil (you can use less)
1c bisquick
1/2c grated cheese (or is it a cup?)
salt & pepper

Mix everything together and put it in a pie dish. Bake at 350deg
for maybe 40min (should be golden brown on top. Check w/a
toothpick to be sure its done)

Tam

Decatur, GA

Thanks, I like the looks of this. Its seems it might make a good lunch to take to work.
Helen

Talihina, OK

Great sounding recipe and since the squash are just coming on I am going to try this right away

Bolivar, OH

Thank you Tammy! It sounds delicious & I can't wait to try it!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

You can play with it too. I've added red peppers w/success. I love this with garden fresh tomatoes on the side too.

Tam

Talihina, OK

Thanks for the recipe I tried it and it was delious one more use for squash noyice I did not say zuchinni since we have a hard time growing them here ..I now grow Zephyr which is a hybrid from Johhny's selected seeds does some what better than the zukes and has a wonderfull taste

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I use yellow summer squash myself.

Talihina, OK

Only got the recipe 11 days ago have now baked 3 pies my wife loves it cold she slices it and eats it out of hand she is diabetic and this is very good with less oil and egg beaters,So Tammy thank you very much for sharing,,PS I put mozzarella on top YUMMY

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Are you thawing it before baking, or putting the frozen pie in the oven? Just reading the recipe, my guess would be to combine and freeze all the ingredients except the Bisquick, and then add it to the wet ingredients just before baking. I'm not sure what would happen to the rising agents in the Bisquick if they were combined with liquids, but not baked right away. You might find that it doesn't puff up or form a crust the same way if you freeze & thaw it before baking. My mom makes a "quick quiche" that is a similar concept: you mix the Bisquick with the quiche ingredients, and it settles out and forms a sort of crust at the bottom, instead of making an actual pie crust and filling it with quiche ingredients. I've frozen unbaked pies in actual crusts, but just question if the Bisquick mixed in with the liquid ingredients would work or not. If you try it, please report back and let us know how it turned out!

Decatur, GA

I think I would bake this recipe before freezing it. Adobe Rose freezes it in single servings which makes sense to me.
Helen
PS I am making this this weekend.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I've tried it both ways. When baked first and then frozen it was just a tad drier than when fresh. And when completely mixed and then baked, it came out kinda rubbery. I think I prefer it baked first and then frozen but either way wasn't quite as good as fresh.

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images