Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hibiscus: Where can I get root stock?

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 8, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #8046450

I would like to try my hand at grafting. Problem is, none of the local garden centers have any Pride of Hawkins or anything else to use as root stock. Does anyone know of a good place I can order some?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #8046471

This site lists Pride of Hankins http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-gh.html (I don't know anything about them, so I highly recommend looking them up in the Garden Watchdog before you buy).

The other approach if you've got a little more patience would be if you can find some relatively cheap grafted hibiscus, you can always chop them off below the graft and let the rootstock grow. Or find someone near you who's got some grafted hibiscus that are sending up sprouts from the rootstock and have them clip them off and send you the cuttings to root (several of my grafted hibiscus send up rootstock sprouts every year and you have to keep up with trimming them off or else the rootstock will take over)
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8048676

Kristen,

We have plenty of rootstock, we can send you some rooted or cuttings whichever you like for postage

Patrick
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #8048787

Really?? I just received a cutting of Silver Memories not knowing it is a graft only plant... I really like Silver Memories so I don't know what to do. I got a Daisy Cloner off of eBay and It should arrive soon.

My other option is to chop one of the grafted plants I have off and try to root that one, then use the root stock from that and try to graft it. But it may be better for that poor plant to be left alone, it had been through a lot! If you have a root stock, I would love a rooted one, so I could just go ahead and graft this poor Silver Memories. I would gladly pay for shipping. Is that all you need?

Thank you so much Patrick! Let me know what you need from me please.

Liz, I looked into that website, It has many great reviews. Thanks for looking into that for me!

Kristen
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #8048798

Kristen,

Just send us your address through dmail and we'll let you know how much it cost after we send it, we'll send it on monday.
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #8049148

Kristen, you bought a Daisy Cloner! Congrats girl! I am also grateful for the info about Glasshouseworks, they have two hibiscus acetosellas that I can't find anywhere else I've been wanting to order.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #8049217

Is the Silver Memories cutting they sent you one that would even be suitable for grafting? If not then I'd try rooting it since there's really nothing to lose. There are some hibiscus that are easier to propagate by grafting so the people who propagate them commercially will always do whatever's easiest & has the highest success rate. But that doesn't mean that a cutting can't root, it just means the odds of success are lower than they might be with some other cultivars.
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #8049860

Liz, The wood is about 2.75" long and about 1/4" thick at the end. It has some beautiful green leaves on it. Dee was very generous when she found out I got a cloner and offered some cuttings. What an awesome woman she is. I mean truly one very generous person! She said the same thing, that I should try to root it, if it doesn't take, she would send me another.

I never thought about it that way Liz. When it said graft only, being that I am such a newbie, I only assumed. I thought that was really the only way, but I guess you are right. It's gotta be able to root...

Thanks for all the input. Appreciate any that anyone would like to give!
Kristen
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #8049866

That's nice that she'd be willing to send another one! So I'd definitely give it a try--if it is one that's harder to start from cuttings then it may not take, but if it doesn't just wait until you have some rootstock plants and then get another piece and try grafting instead. Since you've got the cloner you may find you have better luck with some things that are hard to root otherwise so I think it's worth trying.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America