Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: Hot Dog, it's hot!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 147, Views: 859
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8047325

I think it was past time for a new thread. We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120032/

Join us for weather, chat and photos.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8047452

Thanks for the new thread, Celia! We needed one! What is the little bird in your photo? I would say sparrow but the beak doesn't look quite right--maybe I am wrong about that.

BP: I thought of this poem when you said you wished you could burn your candle at both ends and only sleep a couple of hours each night:
"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light."
--by Edna St. Vincent Millay
I learned this poem in high school and it has stuck with me all these years! LOL

Sunfarm: great photo of the Monarch. What kind of flower is that?
Joey: gorgeous bloom!
Crissy: I think your yard looks even more dry than mine does and here I thought you were getting more rain than I was. Guess I was wrong about that! My Mexican Petunias are all blooming now, too. They like the heat--guess that is why they call them "Mexican" petunias!

# Today: A mix of clouds and sun with a slight chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. Humid. High 92F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Humid. Low 73F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8047496

Mau, that's a female House Finch.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #8047572

Mau, That's ironweed (pronounced "arnweed" around here) that the monarch was visiting.
Rain continues; I thought it had stopped soon after noon but it picked up again. I am curious to see how much is in the gauge when it does end. Wish I could share some of it with Arkansas!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #8047864

Helluuuu!! :D Celia, I really appreciate the new thread! :D And Love the little house Finch!
LOL! Sally! 'arnweed' indeed! :D I guess we say it...'irnweed'! LOL! :D Love those pics!
We've had the rain, too. I really need to get a rain gauge! We had a slow steady rain for over 3 hours yesterday evening...a good soaker. Today we've had some more, but I think the flood watches are gone for the moment. It's a great 73!
Mau, thanks. Love the Mex. Petunias! I never knew there was such a pretty 'tunia'! :D Good poem. :)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8048086

Thanks, Celia. After I looked at the beak really good I decided it was a finch of some kind.
KY Sally: I need to get some of that "arnweed"! LOL Wish you could send us some of that rain, too.
Joey: glad you liked the poem and the "tunias"! :o))

there is a dark cloud on one side of my house and the leaves on the trees are blowing around and I can hear thunder rumbling. On the other side of the house the sun is shining. Hope we get a shower out of this.

I was outside with Friday a few minutes ago and saw this butterfly sipping nectar from the hummingbird feeder so I came inside to get my camera. When I got back outside the BF was resting on the side of the house. I got a couple of photos. I think this is a red admiral but I'm not really sure--does anybody else know what it is?

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #8048087

Here's the other pic--these are the best I could do because I couldn't get close enough to get a really good photo.

Thumbnail by marsue

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8048306

Mau, it does indeed look like a red admiral.
Though most of our rain ended soon after noon, it continued coming down lightly until about 5:30PM. There was an additional 0.59" in the gauge, so my total for the day is a respectable 1.42". The rain kept it cool also-- a welcome 74 degree max.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8048335

Current temp: 82 F
Sunny
Heat Index: 85F
Humidity: 62%
Winds: ESE 3 mph
Gusts: 4 mph
Visibilty: 9 miles
Cloud cover: 6%

Today's High: 87 F
Heat Index: 92 F

Spent all day otuside weeding my iris bed and my garden. By the time I was done I had 2 wheelbarrel fulls of weeds. Tomorrow I will spread my compost and mulch out. Already sprinkled Preen to keep the seeds from sprouting hopefully.

Storm clouds from last week.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2010
3:18 AM

Post #8048960

thanks, Sunfarm, for confirming that red admiral ID. I am going to send those photos to BAMONA for positive ID. That butterfly has not been confirmed as having been seen in my county. As a matter of fact, several of the butterflies which I have photographed in my yard are not listed as having been seen in my county. I need to send them photos of all of "my" butterflies! LOL

The "dog days" of summer are upon us once again after a break for a couple of days. There was a thunder storm to the east of me yesterday afternoon--it would have been welcome here, but we didn't get a drop of rain.

# Today: Sun and clouds mixed. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. High 98F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: A few clouds. Humid. Low 74F. Winds light and variable.

I have a few flowers that are blooming. The purple sweet potato vine seems to be thriving, although a few of the leaves are turning brown.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8049002

65F Feels Like: 65
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 63
Pressure: 29.91 in
Visibility: 5.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 4 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 70s. Winds light and variable. Sunny to partly cloudy. High 88F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunfarm, we don't have too many Monarchs this year even tho we have milkweed all around and I always have a few on my butterfly weed. What are your purple blooms?

Chrissy, it's been a few years since we've had the crispy grass. It is depressing. Still, flowers bloom. They are pretty. I used to have some in a pot, but had to overwinter them each year.

Celia, thanks for the new thread and picture! She has the seeds before the head opens :o)

Marsue, laughing, how nice of you to remember it for just me! ''It will not last the night'' is exactly why I do sleep. It's a nice little poem and shows no one has enough time! Your petunias are nice too!

Sunfarm, LOL! I have one ironweed that gets 10' tall and one that is staying 5' tall, yet I could not place yours! Mine, alas, are done. I love them!

Joey, finally, a good rain for you! My snaps are all gone and didn't''t do well at all this year.

Marsue, love the brick color the Red Admiral is on.

Pepper, doesn't it feel good to get out and do something! Thumbs up on the Preen. Hopefully a rain will soak it up for you so it can lay it's weed barrier over the ground. Otherwise you should wet it down.

Wow Marsue, yes, let them know the butterflies you have this year! I know I haven't seen a few of mine before, but they are common. Someone must be letting the nettles grow since a couple like to feed on them. What is blooming with the vine?

Yesterday I mowed a day early and raked the old grass off the sidewalk. I had two wheelbarrows of that and weeds from the cracks. I haven't even swept it yet.

Today we get the boys till Sunday and it's going to be hot the next seven days!

Sunset last week on the jeep ride home.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #8049140

Several of my ironweed plants are 10' tall; they may be weeds, but I think they are pretty.
I need to contact my BAMONA coordinator for this area with some of my sightings, as they have not been recorded as being here.
A foggy morning here. Unfortunately the heat and dewpoints are forecast to rise in the next few days.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8049476

BP: the blooms are on the sweet potato vine itself. I didn't know that it bloomed when I bought it, I just liked the color of the leaves. The blooms are similar to the blooms on the Mexican Petunias. Pretty sunset!

Sunfarm; by all means, do send your state coordinator for BAMONA your photos of the butterflies in your area.

I went out to the shade garden and dug down a couple of inches. It was dry that far down so I started the sprinkler. It would be nice to get a good soaking rain but we don't have any forecast. :o((

I got this plant at an RU in May. The tag has already faded and I have no idea what it is or who gave it to me. It has this small red bloom on it. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8050379

Current Temp: 88 F
Heat Index: 92 F
Wind: S 9 mph
Gusts: 10 mph
Humidity: 47%
Cloud cover: 28 %

Today's High: 94 F
Heat Idex: 96 F

Storms coming in tomorrow night so that will help the preen settle in and get to work. Still hot though. Can't wait til fall arrives!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #8051122

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Aug 20, 2:53 am CDT

Mostly Cloudy

81 F
(27 C)
Humidity: 67 %
Wind Speed: S 9 MPH
Barometer: 29.80" (1007.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 69 F (21 C)
Heat Index: 84 F (29 C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Still warm at 3 am...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 20, 2010
1:53 AM

Post #8051128

Mau, your plant seems to be an abutilon. Is it opened today? I have one with orange blooms. The potato vine is awesome! Mexican petunias are beautiful and the red admiral too!
Sally, what a gorgeous sunset! That's a lot of grass and weeds! Hurray for the boys coming over!!!!!
Celia, wonderful pics of the finch! I can see now that they are eating your sunflowers too!LOL Thanks for starting a new thread for us!
Sally sun, what a great picture of the butterfly!

It's still hot outside, but not like before, a bit in the 90s, not higher. Sunny and no clouds. The air pressure which caused me a terrible headache 2 days ago is getting up now and all is well!LOL
I think these 2 are planning to set a new nest, the old one isn't vacant !LOL As my DH would say, these sparrows like to make babies!ROTFLOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 20, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #8051129

I forgot to tell you that I've figured out how to take pics of the moon! This camera doesn't have any secrets for me anymore!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 20, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #8051130

This is another sunset I took the other day. Very hard to choose one picture of so many!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #8051149

Excellent Adina!
I agree w/ the Flowering Maple ID.

We were back into it again.
74 at 6AM heading for 94... Humidity is back!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #8051174

73F Feels Like: 73
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 69
Pressure: 29.79 in
Visibility: 6.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 34 min Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the mid 80s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Mixed clouds and sun this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 88F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Sunfarm, I wouldn't be without my iron weed and assigned a wall just for them. My neighbor brought hers from the family farm because it reminded her of home :o)

Marsue, I didn't know they bloomed. What a bonus!

Pepper, I learned the hard way that Preen works after it has been wet :o(

Adina, sparrows do like little ones and many in one sitting, LOL! I'm glad your headache is going to be beter. Being weather sensitive is no fun. Wow, love the pictures with the new camera! The sunset is striking!

Well folks, another chance of rain here. If I could pass it off, I would. We're taking the boys to Kalona today. They'll see horse and buggies and get to pick out a calm toy at "The Country Store."

Ironweed and phlox

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #8051246

BP, the cultivated ironweed looks really nice against the white house and with the pink phlox.
Very dense fog this morning and should be warming to about 90 today.
Saw this red-spotted purple convention in the driveway last night. There were six of them, though it was hard to get a good picture of all of them.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8051401

Morning everyone! I think I'm catching a cold, have sore throat pptttthhhh. It's 71* in my office and 105 outside, can't imagine why I'd be catching a cold LOL!

It's still hot and I have no news.

Adina those are awesome pics!

BP that DOES look good against the house, has a 1950's feel to it.

I know what those butterflies are called, but I can't think of it. Some sort of Swallowtail I believe.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8051562

Don't you hate when someone passes you a cyber-virus, Crissy? Heh heh heh Sorry...

65.1 F
Clear
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Pollen: 7.40 out of 12
Clouds: Clear (Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8051582

Crissy, they are called "red-spotted purples." They do look a lot like the pipevine and spicebush swallowtails in colorings and markings but don't have the extended tails on their hindwings. Supposedly this helps protect them from predators by looking less tasty! I am having fun learning about the butterflies this summer.
Here's another picture

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #8051584

They're beautiful!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #8051800

They are pretty. Yea, cyberviruses suck, but I know you're such a giving person I completely understand. LOL LOL LOL LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #8051985

Pepper: nice shot of the flower and the BF! It's still hot here, too.
Rusty: hopefully, we will all get some cooler weather soon.
Adina: Great moon shot. The only kind of moon shots that I can get are fuzzy. I had an ID on my mystery plant of "Turk's Cap". Is that the same as abutilon?
BP: I have the phlox. Now I need some ironweed. Lovely pairing!
Celia: the shadow of that bee looks like a vulture! LOL
Those bf's are beautiful, sunfarm.
Crissy, keep your cybervirus to yourself, please, and don't bring it to our luncheon tomorrow, either! LOL

As Crissy said, still hot. What more is there to say about that except
"Blah"! or maybe "ppttthhh" LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8052023

LOL!! I'm feeling a lot better than I did earlier, wonder if I was snoring last night...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8052033

Crissy, I could hear you out here. Darrell thought it was thunder.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #8052076

Ah that's why I had a sore throat earlier! That explains everything!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8052280

About the same as it has been all week. It feels like you could get sunburn in 5 minutes.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 20, 2010
95 F
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 29 F
Wind: 13 mph from the SSE

picture from Mt. Pinos, where at 8800 ft elevation, it doesn't get hot

Thumbnail by Kelli

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #8052390

We had some right nasty weather yesterday... My rain gauge said we got 5" but most of the rain was up the mountain just west of me... and our creek got it all! My spring house and the spring overflow pond are in a swale, but it's built up around the edges between the pond and creek. Nonetheless, the water was FIVE feet high in the spring house/overflow, and it came up 10-15 feet into the front yard as well. NOT 10-15 feet DEEP, just that far over the bank into the yard.

Had to rescue The Kid's pooch as his area was under at least 2 feet of water and rising fast. Poor thing just had a tiny island left to stand on when I saw him... The Kid was at work and I never tend to her dog, but he was barking non-stop. I guess he'd have drowned if I hadn't been home. Sigh.

Water level went down overnight, and the creek is still running fast but clearing...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8052445

So glad you were at home to rescue The Kid's pooch, Darius! Poor little guy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8052522

Started out hot and mostly sunny, now it's almost dark, with rain either here or at least in the area and thundering. Oh and the temps are in the 70s now.

It's darker than this outside now.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #8052714

Glad everything is OK now Darius.
I know that water rises fast there but MAN!

Hot but not too humid today.
We hit at least 90.
I was outside working most of the day and it wasn't too bad.
Mainly using the forklift and dumping scrap metal in the trailer for recycling.
The AC did feel pretty good when I went back in at 2 PM though! LOL!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 21, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #8053216

Sun, amazing butterflies! You have so many in your garden!
Mau, Turk's cap is a Malvaviscus, related to Abutilon and hibiscus. I took this from my article about hibiscus.
"Malvaviscus is a flowering plant related to Hibiscus, also in the Malvaceae family. It is also called turk's-cap mallow, sleeping hibiscus and marzapan. It differs from the Hibiscus genera because the fruit is divided into five parts."
You should try to use a tripod, or just put the camera on something so your hand won't tremble when you are shooting the moon. And you need to choose the crepuscle option, then choose -2 exposure .
Sally, lovely blooms of those phlox! What is a calm toy?
Kelli, great view! Must have been great to breathe fresh air!
Chrissy, get well soon!
Celia, cool pic, but so yucky!
It so cold here at night, only 53F, while during the day it goes up to 84F. It has surely cooled off!
New picture from the garden.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8053281

70F Feels Like: 70
Details: Some areas nearby are reporting fog.
Past 24-hr:Precip: 0.46 in (est.)
Humidity: 95%
Pressure: 29.79 in
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 1 min
Through 12 pm: Mostly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 80s. Winds light and variable.
Mostly cloudy skies early, then partly cloudy this afternoon. Humid. High 87F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunfarm, thanks! That was a year after I planted it. It's a lot fuller now, as is the phlox. I also have False Dragonhead on the sides, but it creeps too fast, so I need to just take it out. It does bloom after the rest are done tho. The Red Spotted Purples are my favorite butterfly now. I've only seen them two years now around here. My neighbor and I have really been trying to plant butterfly plants and I think we're slowly bringing them back. Two of her neighbors have really added to their beds also.

Chrissy, papt, pat, pat. Sounds like we will be getting sick, one by one. A 50's feel, I like that :o) Thanks!

Celia, that is the most amazing picture I have ever seen!! I was going to tell you to put your vulture away and quit scaring everyone, LOL!!

Marsue, thanks! Believe it or not, Ironweed likes it wet.

Chrissy, if your husband kept looking at you and snickering at breakfast, you were snoring :o)

Celia, ROTFL!!

Kelli, I think I put sunscreen on twice this year. Now I ''forget.''

Darius, WOW! Now that is a rain and flooding. I'm glad the spring house was safe. Thank goodness you saved the dog! I can't imagine his panic. Is that the most flooding you've had since you moved there?

Pepper, glad it cooled down :o)

Ric, you're keeping busy at work!

Adina, a calm toy is a tractor or blocks, etc. Anything that doesn't have to constantly make noise and move in case it loses the kids attention. They wonder why some kids can't sit still at school. Watch their programing. It never sits still or is quiet. They think that is normal. Your garden looks nice! It never looks hot or like the bugs have eaten anything, LOL!

It's Fall Festival in Lone Tree today. We're going over for the parade, ping pong drop and whatever else. It's a larger town than we are, and nice. Their streets are still tree lined. I think one street in Nichols still has some shade on a hot day :o(

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8053357

billyporter: (I know your name, just can't remember it... crs) Yes, that's the most flood water we've had since I moved here 4 years ago... but also the fastest rise. Down the road just 800 feet the creek was within 3 inches of the roadway and would have flooded it if it had rained 30 minutes more. A couple of years before I got here, the roadway was flooded for 3 days, blocking all entry/exit.

It was raining so hard that I couldn't get any pictures; when it stopped, it was too dark.

There's a similar band coming our way across KY/TN and lower OH again, and the ground is well saturated already.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8053482

Darius she's BP to us... though not quite as messy as the one in the news...lol!

An easy way to get 'moon shots' is long lens. tripod and Action setting.
This sets the shutter to the right exposure.

Light rain here!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8054260

Got kinda hot today but the humidity wasn't so high. I figure mid 90s for a high.

Had a big ole storm roll thru last night. It hit us around 7 pm or so and lasted til sometime in the morning hours. Got quite a bit of rain out of it and the roads are slightly messed up again but not too bad. We enjoyed the weather before it came thru though. It was so nice and COOL!! LOL!!!

One of the views into the pasture next to my house. There are alot of wild trees and other plants growing in this little spot. Can't see very far into it. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #8054810

Joplin Regional Airport
Last Update on Aug 22, 4:53 am CDT

Partly Cloudy

73 F
(23 C)
Humidity: 94 %
Wind Speed: E 5 MPH
Barometer: 30.02" (1015.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 71 F (22 C)
Visibility: 7.00 mi.

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 93. Heat index values as high as 96. East wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 68. East wind around 7 mph.

As 2 days ago, it got hit up to 101* and very humid so I just stay inside and sure yesterday got very not feel well for 2 days something got flu around here so it time to get flu shot at Walgreen is open for flu shot I m not get until Oct.!...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #8054837

71 Feels Like: 71
Details:Foggy conditions are being reported around the area
Humidity: 93%
Pressure: 30.03 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 9 min
Through 11am: Partly to mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 70s. Winds light and variable. Areas of dense morning fog. Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. High 86F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
Dyson Dark!

Darius, Billy or BP is fine with me :o) Having the ground full of water for this long is kind of new around here. But our water table isn't very far down. We've just having more rain than usual the last couple of years. At first we were amazed. Now we hope our town doesn't flood in the lower end.

Ric, LOL! I learned long ago to not pour grease down the sink drain!

Pepper, love the wild trees and weeds! Gotta have those small ecosystems.

Rusty, I hope you don't have the flu. It seems like there are a few illnesses going around already. Rest up!

It's a bit foggy and condensation is dripping steadily off the roofs.

Yesterday we had great weather for the Fall festival and the boys got three chances at the Ping Pong drop since there weren't very many kids there. They gave nice prizes! They went in the "Bouncy House twice, and rode the airplanes. We got a bag full of candy thrown at the parade. That will stay here and be doled out! They had small tractor pulls and the fireman's water barrel contest. We didn't stay too long as we had afternoon chores to do. We did get in a lot of walking.

The Caryopteris shrub my neighbor gave me actually survived the heat and has bloomed!

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8055048

A brief shower yesterday afternoon and passage of a cold front that should keep temps in the 80s for the coming week. I hope the humidity is low enough to be pleasant. No rain forecast for the coming work week, but it is time to mow again.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #8055116

Good morning! It's still hot, still in a heat advisory until who knows when.

That front brought some severe storms to the area yesterday afternoon, there was thunder all around the house for a good 3 hours, we got... nuthin. The city closest to us, Benton, got hit pretty bad though I guess, trees down, hail was as big as a quarter so lots of damage from that, I told Dave that that is the kind of storm we don't want. No rain in the forecast all week, but we're supposed to have cooler temps this week, then back up to the 105/110 crap again. Blah!!

Well I'm going to go next door and let her pooches out to pee and water a few things before it gets overly hot.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8055331

checked - no more kudzu - so far.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8055385

Come on everybody, let's get well, o.k.? And that goes for me, too, though nothing major here, just some "that time of the month" issues. :-\

Darius, glad you were able to rescue the dog. That must have been pretty scary for him.

BP, what quiet toy did you get for the boys?

Supposed to be in the 100s all this week. Blahhh

This cactus bloomed last night for the first time. I don't know what it is. The id tag faded. By 8:30 this morning the flower was all closed up.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8055484

Weather appears to have cooled down a bit.
Only high 80's this week w/ low 60's nights.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #8055488

Adina: your flowers look great--soooo pretty! I don't have a tripod or one of those fancy cameras where you can adjust the settings manually. I just have a point and shoot but I am going to try it on the "action" setting that Ric suggested. Last night would have been a good time to do that because there were pink clouds just at sunset and yet the moon was shining, too. It was very pretty but I didn't even try to take a photo.
BP: my friend, Kathy Ann, gave me two caryopteris yesterday. I am looking forward to having them in my garden. The blooms are really pretty.
Yay, Dyson! No more kudzu!
Kelli, pretty cactus flower.

As Crissy said, it's still hot and more to come--and dry, too. We didn't get any of that rain, either. I have been watering all morning--moving the sprinkler from place to place. I turned it off a few minutes ago and will finish the watering late this afternoon when the sun starts going down.

Yesterday, our Central Arkansas group got together for one of our luncheons. It was at Charlotte's house. We all had a good time and it was good to see one another again. Here is a photo of Charlotte's Koi pond and I am posting a link to the rest of the photos. Charlotte has a lovely garden--her entire back yard is a garden!

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/CharlotteSLuncheon?authkey=Gv1sRgCJDhsv-P3_zrdw#

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #8055733

Sally(BP), we planted our Caryopteris the very month we moved in. They LOOOOOOVE the heat. Ours is just starting to bloom, too.

Hot but not too hot today. 88.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8055947

Hot and humid but feels great compared to what it felt like earlier in the month. Fall is coming pretty quickly now.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8056080

Mau, thanks for the tour!!! That was fun!!!

We had some rain blow through for about 10 minutes. Cooled things off tremendously.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8056144

Pep! I hope your right! There's another High pressure building up for next week, supposed to encompass the same areas and it's supposed to be just as hot as it has been, we get 'a week off' you might say.

Thanks for sharing the pics Mau! I'm going to upload mine tomorrow while I'm at work, seems to go much faster there.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #8056308

63 and slightly breezy. And, in the Immortal Words of Ric... Ahhhhhh...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2010
11:38 PM

Post #8056514

I couldn't wait until Wednesday will be cool...

Overnight: Clear, with a steady temperature around 74. East wind around 6 mph.

Monday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 95. East wind around 7 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 66. Southeast wind around 6 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 92. East wind 5 to 9 mph becoming north.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. North wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 84.

Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 60.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2010
3:16 AM

Post #8056549

62 AHHHHH!!!!! lol!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8056611

64F Feels Like: 64 Details:Some areas nearby are reporting fog.
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 63
Pressure: 30.08 in
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 55 min Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures warming rapidly into the mid to upper 70s. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Sunny. High 84F.

Dyson, I was actually thinking about your Kudzu yesterday and hoping it never survives my winter. I hope you killed yours for good!

Kelli, one boy picked a manure spreader that will fit the tractor I bought there a few years ago and the other picked that no name toy where you push the bottom of the box and the animal collapses, or a corner, and he bows, or tips his head. I had one when I was a kid :o) I still had DD's orange cat here, so they each have one now. He chose a red donkey:o)

Marsue, I really love them. My neighbor's is covered with bees and butterflies in the fall. Beautiful pond and great shot of many fish! Charlotte had a wonderful place! Amazing door prizes!!

Celia, I feel like I've joined a Caryopteris club :o) Gorgeous color on the sunflower! Delicate clover!

Rusty, hoping cooler weather comes your way soon!

Ric... :o)

We kept the boys over night since DD was getting home from the State Fair close to dark. They have 5 new goat kids to check and a few to unload. They sold a buck at the Fair, Yayyy!

I get to mow and go back to eating old people food. Yayyy!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8056675

Another foggy morning in the mid 60s with temps going to the mid-to-upper 80s today. If the humidity is tolerable I shall try to get out in the yard a bit and get some vitamin D direct instead of pill form.

Glad to hear you have such fun with your boys, BP. My DGS is 10, but does not live anywhere near here and is allergic to cats and pollen, so has to be doped up with Benadryl for visits here. Wish he would outgrow the allergies.

Here's my butterfly from yesterday.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8056890

AAAAHHHHH We're not in a heat advisory for once!!!

Today 94 with a real feel of 97
Tonight 67 with a real feel of 66
Tomorrow 94 with a real feel of 95 (NO heat index! How Exciting!!!)
Tomorrow night 71 with a real feel of 71!!
Wednesday 91 with a real feel of 94
(Check this out!) Wednesday night 67 with a real feel of 64!!

I'm liking this!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #8057799

Yippee, Crissy--I'll be doing the happy dance when we get to experience some temps less than 70f at night! LOLOL

quoting BP: "I get to mow and go back to eating old people food. Yayyy!"
ROFLOL BP--you make me laugh!!

I 'd like to share this with you. It was a post over on the Mid-South forum by one of the attendees at our luncheon on Saturday. It is very moving and, to me, explains beautifully what all my friends here on Dave's Garden mean to me. Our friend, Karen, (DG id: kjuddy) wrote this:

"Today ten of my best garden friends and I got together, actually some of them I'd never met before today, but by the time we'd spent two hours together we were friends. That's the wonder of gardening - it gives you a place to come together, common ground to start from. First you start off talking about this plant or that one and the next thing you know you are hearing about the time someone set off the security alarm in Walmart or how another's husband left a legacy of plants behind to remind her of him. Add in some good food, a few gifts and a stray birthday or two and the peace of being among those you know mostly thru a few shared sentences written at night while wearing pj's or in the office during lunch (and sometimes when you should be working) overcomes the stresses of everyday life. And for just that brief time all the cares of the world, the child who is struggling to become an adult, the parents whose health is slowly declining, the sorrows of the soul are forgotten in a chorus of 'what is this plant' and 'the impatiens you gave me last month are looking great' or 'how do you get this plant to grow like that'.

Gardening is an outward expression of hope, it is the beginning of a marvelous relationship, a hope filled journey where if we work hard, have a little luck and are patient we will be rewarded with a grand show that no man-made thing can replicate. Seeing a tiny twig grow into a shrub that blooms is so amazing that we cannot help but be proud, yes we know we did not cause it to grow, but we cheered it on - we fed it and watered it and kept it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. We fretted over it when it's leaves wilted and watched in amazement when it came back in the spring. It is no more our doing than the sun rising each morning but still we bask in the shared glory of it. And when we go to a garden party we are celebrating that glory and our part in it. To all my gardening friends - it was wonderful. Thanks for the great party!"

Thanks to Karen for expressing it so beautifully! I totally agree with her!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8058065

High in the mid 80s today with cloudless skies.

Tomorrow, high of 81. Low 80s rest of the week with lows for 2 or 3 days in the 50s. WHOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Other view of the same pasture. Walk down the fence line about 20 feet and this is what you see. This view I like. lol. There was one year though when the weeds were to the tops of the trees and all you saw was a wall of green. The only time you knew the horses were up front was by watching the weeds move. I'm glad we don't have that anymore. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8058171

Lovely Mau!
Thank Karen for me.

Pasture or Jungle? LOL!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8058198

Both. LOL!! The bad thing about the pasture is it blocks the breezes from the south. So if there is a really nice breeze from the south anywhere we don't get much of it, if any. So it can feel pretty hot at times. Oh well, at least the pasture is nice to look at for the most part. LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #8058707

Well, Today is Full Sturgeon Moon 1:05 p.m. EDT...

Wow! Wednesday will be down to around 50*... Yeah soon will be nice cooler...

Overnight: Mostly clear, with a steady temperature around 71. East wind between 3 and 5 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Light wind becoming north between 10 and 13 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. North wind between 7 and 10 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 83. North wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 56. Northeast wind between 5 and 9 mph.

Right now:

Joplin Regional Airport
Last Update on Aug 24, 1:53 am CDT

A Few Clouds

75 F
(24 C)
Humidity: 55 %
Wind Speed: E 7 MPH
Barometer: 29.95" (1012.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 58 F (14 C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2010
1:25 AM

Post #8058716

Here is Ju at 9 months old now will be 10 months old on September 3... Gee she growing so fast! Still playing fighting with Rusty and Ju run so crazy circle around yard and Rusty couldn't catch up of his age! lol...Ju run like horse.

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
3:25 AM

Post #8058771

64F Feels Like: 64
Dew Point: 61
Pressure: 30.04 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 33 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 60s. Winds light and variable. Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High around 80F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

I doubt we see any rain today. It's still behind Des Moines and drying up from North to South.

I mowed yesterday and then we saw we needed to pick grapes. We have 18 quarts of cleaned grapes in the fridge. I was not ready to do them yesterday and have jars in the dishwasher ready to wash this morning. The grapes were clean, no ''bee stings'' and most of the bunch was ripe.

Sunfarm, I hope he outgrows his allergies too. Beautiful shot!!

Chrissy, laughing. Thaat would be very hot here!

Marsue, that was beautiful and every word was in my mind, but I couldn't have written it so well. Thanks for sharing !

Peper, I''m in the same Woo Hooooo boat all week too!! The pasture is my kind of place! Wow on watching the grass/horses move!

Rusty, Ju is beautiful!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #8058840

Pepper: nice pasture pic--too bad it cuts off the breeze. I wouldn't mind having a high of 81F but 75F would be even better! LOL
Rusty: Ju is growing up!
BP: are you going to make grape jelly? Glad you enjoyed the thoughts from Karen. I will thank her for you and for Ric.

Woohoo! It was only 69F on my back porch at 6:20 this morning--a real "cold" wave! LOL
# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 93F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 69F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8058844

Marsue, grape juice and I'm ready to shut down and get busy!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8058847

YUMMMMM, home-made grape juice! :o))

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 24, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #8058935

Well, the beautiful summer keeps right on. Good growing conditions all week & now last night 1.2" rain.
Farm crops are so far ahead that farmers are already chopping corn for silage. A good 3 weeks ahead of normal.
We picked 19 pails, 4 gallon, of pickles yesterday. More slicing cucumbers than we could sell in a month! Muskmelons are also going crazy. We pick 30 or so everyday.

Cold front came with the rain. Only 65 this morning going for high of 75.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8058992

Look at Ju!!! She's getting so big!! LOL Runs like a horse

Mau is right! we're cooling down finally, mid 80's tomorrow and Thursday.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8060217

Sunday morning we had a guy killed near us while attempting to 'Car Surf'.
This came in this morning.
4 miles from where we lived in Beavercreek.

http://www.salon.com/news/trending/2010/08/24/brennan_eden_ohio_car_crash

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8060228

Weather was cool and cloudy today.
77 was the high.
We should be near 60 by morning.
90's again next week!
WE NEED RAIN!
None in sight...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #8060373

High of 81 today with mostly cloudy skies. There was rain in the skies but it evaporated before it hit the ground. Our lows tonight will be in the 50s.

RIght now it's in the low 70s and man does it feel good!! I walked around town with a friend tonight and we were just loving it. And her dog was too. lol

Storm clouds from a couple weeks ago.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #8060474

Ric...Wow! Seat-belts DO save lives! :-)

early-bloomer
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #8060784

That's the odd thing eb he was ejected from the car.
I'm betting the car manufacturer wants the pieces of that auto.

60 here this morning.
Off to work.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #8060786

Ric: I didn't watch the video--no need in putting that image into my head. Is this a different accident from the one involving the car surfer? Why do police release someone like that--he should have, at least, been kept in jail overnight, IMHO, but I suppose they did not think they had 'cause' to retain him.
Bernie: I'm glad somebody has had a beautiful summer--it certainly hasn't been that way down here.

Cool front coming through--temps down in the high 80's which may not seem all that cool to some of you but it sure beats the high 90's and low 100's! Also, the humidity will be very low so it will be much more comfortable. I plan to work outside doing some clean up in the morning. Today I am going to have lunch with a friend so I won't have time to work in the yard.
Y'all have a good day!

# Tonight: Some clouds. Low 69F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High near 90F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #8060832

Checking in briefly to report we have had a break in the weather too. It stayed below 80 yesterday (topped out at 78) and this morning was below 60 (at 58) for the first time in many weeks. A few more pleasant days are predicted.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8061251

71.4 F with 90 for the high. I'm going to go play in the dirt some more.
Clear
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.10 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
UV: 2 out of 16
Pollen: 8.00 out of 12
Pollen Forecast new!
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8061355

Ric, all I can say is "Yikes!" I hope I never have a windshield video that "exciting". Yeesh!

According to the newspaper, yesterday it got up to 111F in Woodland Hills and 110F in Chatsworth. I am located between the two. In our yard, we measured 106F in a place that never gets any direct sun and is about a foot off the ground.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8061467

I know Ric, we can't seem to buy rain here. BUT it's cooler!! I came in at 11:30 because I had a drs appt this morning, my car told me it was 85* then! Woo Hoo!!!

That's some incredible video Ric, glad I wasn't that cop.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #8061887

I'm glad I wasn't part of the rescue squad/ambulance crew or me on duty, had to be a very long day.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #8061970

Another decent day here. High of 80, sunny with a light breeze. Spent a bit of time weeding another bed today. Luckily there are so many flowers in there that the weeds weren't too bad. Just a tub full.

Sunset last week.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8062076

As of an hour ago.
The crash remains under investigation and Brennan continues to recover in serious, but stable condition at Miami Valley Hospital.
The original 'crimes' he was sited for are, in Ohio, misdemeanors.
You just get a court ticket.

Cool again today but THAT will change...lol!
Still no rain in sight.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8062208

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kelli!!!!!!

Hope you're having a WONDERFUL Day!!!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8062390

Thanks, Ric. It was too hot for hiking but there are a lot of baseball games on t.v. today.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #8062854

Oh Kelli! Happy Birthday, a day late!

I have 37 quarts of grape juice canned and you don't want to know how many weeds I've pulled. Each weed moves a mosquito and those who land on me DIE!

It's been cold the last two mornings with a beautiful day following, and I'm making the most of it!

Waving to all! Another busy day ahead!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #8062870

Belated best wishes to you Kelli from here as well.
Another pleasant day forecast for today, but the longer range forecast shows we will be back into the 90s early next week. Ugh!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8062889

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KELLI! sorry it's a day late--hope you had a good day!

It's a beautiful day in our neighborhood and I am taking advantage of the cooler weather and lower humidity while it lasts. I'm going outside in a few minutes and get some work done in the flower beds. I need to trim up several shrubs, pull some weeds, do some general clean-up, etc., etc.
You all have a good day!

# Today: Abundant sunshine. High 88F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 59F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8062989

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you had a great day yesterday!!!!

Look at those temps Mau posted!! At 8:00 this morning when I was driving to work my car told me that it was 65* instead of 85*! It feels soooooo wonderful! Arkansas is 8" below normal on rainfall so far this year. I don't know what that is in percentage, but last year at this time we were 150% above normal.

Ah Ric, that's why he didn't stay in jail.

There was a fatal accident yesterday morning on I-430, last I heard they were trying to figure out who was at fault, there were 4 cars involved, plus a White SUV or van. Apparently the driver of that vehicle is said to have started it and fled the scene, but they have since found her and she is in questioning. The link is from yesterday.

http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext?nxd_id=343975
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #8064393

Warmer but still tolerable. Air conditioning still turned off for the time being.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY KELLI!!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #8064819

55 at 6AM

Extended Forecast
DAY Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu

SKY
HI TEMP (F) 90 93 94 92 93 93
LO TEMP (F) 52 57 63 63 61 63
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #8064897

Even though we are supposed to be back in the low 90s by Sunday and early next week, the dewpoints are forecast to stay in the upper 50s and low 60s, so it should be more tolerable than previous weeks with those temperatures. No AC needed here either; a pleasant 54 degrees now.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8064941

Woohoo--it was 59 F on my back porch this morning at 6 a.m. We haven't been that cool in a long time! Feels great. However, we are still going to be in the 90's today but the lower humidity makes it feel not nearly as warm. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!
Yesterday I got all 7 of my lorapetalums cut back--they were getting way too big. I now have a huge pile of limbs stacked up for the trash people. I managed to give myself two blood blisters--one on each hand--from getting my skin caught in the handle of the nippers. Ouch! (Sympathy, please! LOL)

# Today: Sunny. High around 90F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 63F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

I managed to get this photo of a butterfly on the hummingbird feeder the other day before a hummer chased him off.
edited to add: the nectar in the feeder is that yellow color because I use organic unbleached sugar in it

This message was edited Aug 27, 2010 6:45 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8065032

Good Morning!

It IS a lot cooler down here, and it feels wonderful. The traffic was insane driving into work this morning so I never did look at what my car was saying the temp was, but it felt good.

Great pictures Pep and Mau!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8065223

(((((((hug))))))) OUCH, Mau!!! I clipped the skin between my fingers with scissors once. OUCH!!!!!

77.4 F with 86 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 53 F
Pressure: 29.84 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 79 F
UV: 1 out of 16
Pollen: 8.50 out of 12
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #8065447

~ ~ ~ to all! Busy again!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8066031

Warming up again. A bit warmer than I liked today.

Coneflowers and black walnut tree at dusk.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #8066578

59F Feels Like: 59
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 58
Pressure: 30.07 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 26 min
Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 60s. Winds light and variable
Plentiful sunshine. High 84F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.

Pepper, your dusk picture turned out pretty neat!

Another chilly morning and the last nice day before it warms back to the high 80's. I tore out the tomatoes that are done and weeded the garden. I lost one head of cabbage. It rotted, so I pulled all the bottom leaves from the rest. So far they haven't split, so I'm holding off on picking them till it's cooler, to make sauerkraut.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #8066768

Temps about the same as BP's.
We'll be in the 90's all week for a high.
Lows in the lower 60's. NICE!
The Bedroom AC is now officially in Fan only mode.

Celia what a great series of Hummers you got!

Off to get some Black Swallowtail Cat shots.
This generation is about to Pupate.

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8066924

Wow Celia, that's a great pic of that hummer! They're flying all around my feeder this morning but I have misplaced my camera! I know it's here in the house somewhere...hhhmmm...

The black swallowtails don't pupate until this time of year? Wonder if I have any cats.

What I do have are an infestation of these orangish yellow black spotted beetles that are a little smaller than a lady bug all over my brugs suddenly! There are also 3 Wheel Bugs on them too. Dave pulled weeds in the garden yesterday so it probably stirred up a nest. When I find my camera I'll take a pic.

That's a neat pic Pep, I love your lights!

Our heat index is coming back, not as fierce as it was but it's still going to be hot. I'm wondering if we're going to get a fall, but of course it's too early in the season for that, have to wait until just before Halloween to find that out.

Right now it's 78* with a heat index of 89*.
Today's high is forecast to be 94* with a heat index of 97*
Tonight's low is 66* with a heat index of 71*.
And we can't seem to buy any rain, nobody wants to sell us any.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8066966

Up here the BS's raise 3 or so generations.
We already have at least one done and two more on the Fennel.
Cats are fairly easy to spot on Fennel.
Look for munched flowers then look carefully in that area.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #8066987

Celia, are you better now? Was it just a bug going around? That IS a fantastic hummer picture.

Marsue, love the Admiral taking command of the sugar boat :o)

Ric, we are in the same temps this week. I agree on the ''perfect sleeping'' night temps!! I look forward to some cat pictures!

Chrissy is it around your neck? LOL, as in, glasses on your head. Yeah, it's a groaner, but was my first thought. I fear we will have an early fall here. The grapes were ready a good week ahead of schedule. School time as someone pointed out earlier.

It my 34th Wedding Anniversary today! It's also my former neighbors 60th. We are going to their open house this afternoon. I really miss my ''over the fence'' talks with her.

18 quart dishpan of Concord grapes

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8066992

Grape Juice. For the first time, I forgot to tighten down the lids on one batch. I lost a good inch of juice! Tsk tsk!

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 28, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8067555

Today was our 25th anniversary celebration of attending the Farmers Market.
See it here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125782/
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8067722

Mid 80s and I felt every degree when running carts today. The sun is hot on the asphalt!! LOL

My grandma's apple tree. We have whacked it back so many times and it comes back better than ever. Usually you can't tell we even did anything before the season is over. We always whack the top back real good and this year my dad thinned out the interior a bit.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8067818

When I was 'trained' to prune apple trees my Greatuncle said that if you take off your hat and throw it into the tree if should come back down.
If it gets ... stuck prune more out.
That's pretty much how I've always done it and we always got good heavy crops.
And no broken or propped up limbs.
LOVELY old tree Pepper! And what a legacy!
Have you started any more trees from it?

BP Congratulations!
Robyn and I have been together 32 years.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #8067821

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #8067953

LOL That's great!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #8068248

69F Feels Like: 69
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 62
Pressure: 30.03 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 3 min
Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures rising towards the mid 80s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Mostly sunny. Warm. High 89F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Dyson Dark and absolutely quiet with a few bugs singing. Perfection :o)

Bernie, Congratulations! Great tribute to yourselves and the entire Market!

Pepper, what a wonderful wonderful tree! We prune ours pretty good to let in a lot of light.

Ric, LOL, that's how our trees end up. The first year I discovered I was cutting spur branches. Next year I had a pruning book :o) Congrats to you and Robyn! Love the second cat picture :o) How do you tell if it's a he or a she? Hmmmm.

We had a great time at our neighbor's Anniversary. Her BIL worked with her husband, in putting up grain bins, so it was real nice to see him too. I am kicking myself for not taking the camera because I saw many nice barns!

Eggplant bloom

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8068572

Happy Anniversary BP!!!!

Happy Farmer's Market Anniversary Bernie!!!

Me and Dave have been married 4 1/2 years.

Pep that's a nice old apple tree you have there. What kind of apples are they?
My grandparents had a Golden Delicious apple tree, and my grandfather was the boss for the City's tree crew, so he could prune anything. He always topped it in the winter, sprayed it so it wouldn't get bugs like cottlingmoth, it produced some really good apples for about 15 years, then my grandfather became unable to take care of it so we had a huge cottlingmoth problem and it didn't get pruned, it also had these huge cancers on it. After my grandparents passed on and I moved into the house, Dave eventually came along and started taking care of it again, but by then the tree was between 25 and 30 years old. I don't remember if he took it out before we moved or if we just left it there for the new owners to take care of.

Have to have a designated cat plant for those. I think I'm going to try that next year for the horned worms, maybe, but they are nasty things so maybe not.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #8068798

Thanks for the birthday greetings!

It has cooled down quite a bit. It won't stay like this, but it isn't supposed to get above 100F in the foreseeable future.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on August 29, 2010
63 F
Overcast
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 52 F

I've got hiking pictures and story from yesterday here. http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/33186/ It's a little different story from the usual, and not just because I don't mention fire.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8069050

My grandma has started a few more trees from seed from the tree. We have no idea what kind it is. The coloring is light red and green but they have a mild taste. My dad thinks they might be Red Delicious but it's hard to tell especially with the tree as old as it is. So my name for them is old apples. LOL

Today we are in the high 80s and sunny. Not much of a breeze so I'm hiding today. lol. I want the fall temps now.

View at the back of my grandma's property. Very peaceful place.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8069626

Off to bed.

Here's one from today.

Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor)

Ric

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 6:11 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #8069891

73F Feels Like: 73
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 68
Pressure: 30.10 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 57 min
Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady in the low 70s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. High 84F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Thanks Chrissy! You have a lifetime ahead of you with Dave. That's a neat apple tree story. I consider apple trees ''friends.''

Ah Kelli, if you could just believe it won't get above 100 :o)

Pepper, cool that Grandma started trees from seed, and she does have a peaceful place. Love the old fence. Too many fences are gone these days.

Ric, Spicebush Swallowtail is gorgeous!! My neighbor has a Spicebush, but I haven't seen any butterfly like that around here.

Even tho it's perfectly cool, it was warm sleeping. I woke up off and on, throwing covers off and on.

The smaller the flower, the bigger the bee :o)

Lavender Hyssop and they love it! The rubbed leaves smell like anise.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #8069900

Whoops wrong name on the Butterfly it's a Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor).

74 here this morning.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #8069917

Got it!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8070223

Kelli: I'll check out your link when I finish here.

I was busy all week-end with my son and his family so I am behind.
I'll just say good photos, everyone!
Ric, love the BF!
Pepper, love the lights in your photo!
BP: lots of grape juice there! Happy Anniversary to you and your DH!
Bernie, congrats on the 25 years at the market.

Woohoo! we had some rain during the night last night! It is overcast and cooler this morning. but humid. I have already done some weeding--so much easier to pull weeds when the ground is soft.
# Today: Cloudy early with isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Humid. High 86F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms early, then partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Yesterday, my son, grandson, Friday and I went to the "big dam bridge". (My son's wife and her kids had gone to visit her mother.) That's the real name of it and it is a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists that goes over the Arkansas River between Little Rock and North Little Rock. Construction began in 2004 and I believe it opened in 2006. The bridge was built over the Murray Lock and Dam--thus the name "big dam bridge". Here is a link to my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/BigDamBridge?authkey=Gv1sRgCPi7vb2hwqCNhQE#

I found this bumblebee on the hummingbird feeder this week-end. I had to take something and push him out of it--he appeared to have gotten his head stuck in the opening. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8070277

We had a storm blow through starting at 6:15am or so today. Lots of lightning and thunder overhead. It rained very hard for about 20 minutes while the leading edge was over us.

49.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 50 F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.82 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.20 out of 12
Clouds: Few 3200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #8071330

Hot and sunny. Hotter than I like. LOL

Here's a closer view of the same view. The fences are barbed wire and very common. The fence posts are usually Osage Hedge which is everywhere around here. If you look at old fence rows you will see trees growing there. That is Osage Hedge growing from the fence posts. It's a neat thing to see.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #8071463

82 (Heat Index 85) at 8:11 which is Sundown.
We're down to 13:07 hours of daylight.
Mid 90's thru Thursday. But unlike last night's mid 70's we should be near 60 for a low.

Celia we had clouds like that but NO rain scheduled till at least Friday.
The Humidity is so low we aren't even getting pop up T-Storms.

Pep that is a Peaceful view!

This has been a banner year for Butterflies.
I picked a good time to specialize...lol!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8071515

I'm stealing all your rain chances for the week. We have a chance tomorrow night, Weds and Thurs. LOL. My plants will be so happy!! Butterflies too. My swallowtails keep hanging around. Not sure what I have that they are loving this year but it is neat.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #8072100

74F Feels Like: 74
Dew Point: 70
Pressure: 30.01 in
Visibility: 8.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 22 min
Through 11am: Widespread showers and thunderstorms developing by late morning. Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 70s. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Today: Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. Warm and humid. High 87F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Marsue, thanks! Our ground is hard already from no rain, but I'm pulling weeds anyway :o) I'm glad you finally got a good wetting! Smiling, did you get the bee out? Hmmm, computer isn't loading big pages today. I'll have to look at your pictures later.

Celia, nice green yard!

Pepper, we have barbed wire around here too. The really old is coveted by antique dealers. Is the fence the property line?

Ric, I wish our humidity was low, but we could actually use the rain. I've enjoyed the butterflies we had this year.

Ah Pepper, you didn't grab quick enough! Chance for us today :o)

We get the boys for the day today and the mosquitos are too bad to go out. Looks like a day of playing Candyland and fort with the dishwasher box we kept.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 31, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8072217

.6" rain this morning.
Sunshine now.
Cold front due tonight to take temps down into 70's for rest of the week.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #8072243

BP: kids love to play in big boxes---and it is certainly a lot cheaper than those over-rated expensive toys that the toy manufacturers are pushing. Yes, I got the bumblebee out of the feeder. :o))

I did some weeding last evening for about 1 1/2 hours. Felt good to be able to get outside without sweat pouring off of you the minute you step out the door. I did get sweaty but nearly like I would have a couple of weeks ago.

We are supposed to get some more cool weather this week-end but the rest of this week we will be back in the 90's and humid.
Overcast this morning but rain chances are slim. # Today: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. Humid. High 92F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening, then skies turning partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low 71F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

check out this tree

Thumbnail by marsue

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #8072254

Same old same old here, with temps near 90 and no rain expected until Friday morning. Rain total for this month was only about 3", and practically none of that in the past few weeks. The vegetation remains remarkably green, though. At least the holiday weekend forecast looks great.

Bernie, congrats on your farmers' market anniversary. I hope your egg customers realize how lucky they are to have you. I heard a shocking statistic on the news (in connection with the recall) about how just a few hundred factory farms produce 80% of this country's eggs. We are fortunate to have a supplier just a couple of miles from here.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 31, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8072313

Finally back home after my trip down into the desert country, so am currently in the process of sorting photos. It was a great trip but boy was it cold. Because of the unusual rains the wildflowers were out in abundance. They've had 3 times their average yearly rainfall so far this year and the night before I left there were more downpours. In fact there was flood water over the road in a few places on the way out, though not too deep. And a few hundred kilometres further on it was clear sunny skies and hot, which continued the rest of the way home.

Today is our last day of winter here, and August has been colder (at night) than July. It's usually the other way around. The coldest overnight temperature for August was 12.6C (54.7F), the hottest day temperature was 37.7C (99.9F). (Coldest night in July went down to 15.9C, 60.6F)

No rain for the month of August, which is normal. UV Index is getting up to 11 now. 30 days of August were 32C or over (90F and over). The mean temperature for the month was 25.4C (77.7F). July the mean temperature was 26.2C (79.2F).

Blooming well in the desert - Sturt's Desert Pea, Swainsona formosa.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8072520

Hey, Tropic! Good to see you again! That's a beautiful flower. And the weather is getting weird all over the planet.

Bernie, I agree with SF that you're customers are lucky folks.

We haven't seen any butterflies this year. I think you other folks have got them all! Waaa!!!

We only made it to 65 yesterday. Today will be warmer at 72. After that, the front will be gone and we'll have our normal temps of 90s.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #8072772

Whew! Finally got a break to make it on!

Celia I don't have near as many butterflies as I usually do. Monty is luvin that grass!

I went out to the mailbox this morning and walked right into a big thick web! Blach! I didn't find a guest hitching a ride so that was good.

That is a nice flower Tropic! Glad to see you back!

We're hotter today, way more humid than we have been the past couple of days:
Right now at 1pm it's 82 with heat index of 92, and cloudy.
Today's high is projected at 92 with a heat index of 97.
Tonight's low is 75 with a heat index of 77.
20% chance of thundershowers.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8073463

Hotter than hades today!!! We reached 100 at one point before going back down to high 90s. We are still in the mid 90s with small but strong storms scattered around. The cool front is supposed to hit and we will be cool for the rest of the week.

BP, the fence is the property line. 5 acres total. It used to be farmed when my dad was growing up so there used to be more fences but we took them down over the year and left the ones up on the property lines. Makes for easier mowing.

Blue Morpho cocoons with some hatched ones waiting to be released.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8073742

welcome back, Tropic! What a neat flower--the bloom looks similar to that of a monarda(bee balm).

Celia: Monty is playing hide-and-seek! LOL

Pepper: great photo of the cocoons, etc.

I got about two hours of weeding done this morning--it felt good to be able to get outside and work in the flower beds again. The temp wasn't that bad but it was humid.

Sweet potato vine blossoms

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #8074086

70F Feels Like: 70
Past 24-hr:Precip: 1.18 in (est.) We have 1.5''
Breakdown:Humidity:92%
Dew Point:67
Pressure:29.94 in
Visibility:9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 1 min Sunrise: 6:31 am Sunset: 7:39 pm
Through 11am: Cloudy with temperatures steady near the low 70s. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Today: Showers and a possible thunderstorm during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. Humid. High 81F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

I woke up at midnight to bright flashes of lightning and a good hard rain. We have 1.5'' in the guage and I hate to say we needed it. No wonder the mosquitos have been crazy the last few days. They knew it was coming. I hate to see them be the accurate weather forcasters :o(

Bernie, cool days for all!

Marsue, I know how you feel about getting out. It felt good to weed and I was making way for the rain to hit the ground! I love that tree!

Sunfarm, that's what I was thinking the other day. The yard is all weeds and Nimble Will grass, but it's green and mows nice. It's time they start looking into the treatment of the hens and their surroundings... again.

Tropic, It sounds like you had a very nice trip! I was wondering where you were the other day! Our weather has changed so much too, and March is usually warmer than April. I don't think there's a going to be a normal or average anymore. Beautiful flower! It reminds me of spider eyes :o)

Aww Celia, plant more and they will come. That's what it took for me to finally have them! Cats under and behind greenery make me smile!

Chrissy, when I say I hate Fall, that is the reason why! I cant walk anywhere without getting in all the webbing!

Wow Pepper, that's hot! (Dang that Paris Hilton. I can't say that without thinking of her!) The butterfly hatch is so neat!

Marsue, gorgeous blooms! I'd call them "Black Holes"

Now that it's rained and the ground has softened, maybe I can move a few small plants around. And, maybe the mosquitos will be crazier and I'll stay in :o)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #8074166

Turned off the AC & opened the windows!
Nice sunny, cool day.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8074216

I had lots of BFs last year but nothing this year. Lots of hummers, though. Gotta run!!!

51.4 F with 78 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 44 F
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.20 out of 12
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #8074227

Celia: we can commiserate together for the lack of BF'S. Pretty MG!
BP: more like "deep purple" holes! :o)) I hate mosquitoes!!!
Bernie, it will probably be October before I get to open my windows! LOL

Hot and humid today and tomorrow. Cooler this week-end if you call the upper 80's "cooler". LOL

The crepe myrtles seem to like the heat and the pink phlox, too. I'm going to have turn this flower bed into a shade bed when these crepe myrtles get bigger!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 1, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #8074320

Thanks everyone. Like all holidays it went all to quickly. But it was great fun and I came out of it with 1469 photos.

Pepper234, I like the butterfly production line. Do you have wasps there that try to parasitize the pupae?

Marsue, I have a very similar Sweet Potato, with the purple leaves.

Billyporter, I put out cotainers of water for the mosquitos and after a week or so empty them out into my fish ponds. The mosquitos will always find a place to lay eggs, so might as well make it easier for them. It has reduced the amount of them around here, although not completely eliminated them.

Well, first day of spring but temperatures dropped from the late winter figures. Looks like the season switch was flicked the wrong way here. The last week of winter the maximum got up to 37.7C (99.9F) with the minimums up to 23.2C (73.8F). First day of spring it only got to a maximum of 34.9C (94.8F) from a minimum of 19.7C (67.5F). Although, heat index did get to 40.1C (104.2F) today. UV index is still getting up to 11.

Mean temperature for August was 25.5C (77.9F). Mean for July was 26.2C (79.2F). (And July's supposed to be our coldest month.) But this year's "Coldest Month Award" goes to June, with a mean of 23.7C (74.2F).

Now the race is on for the hottest "build-up" month. November is of course odds on favourite.

Inhabitant of the arid zones - Spinifex Pigeon, Geophaps plumifera. They don't appear to be very fearful of people but being always on the move they're hard to photograph.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #8074935

Pep that is an awesome pic! Where are all of those cocoons at?

I don't think there's a way to eliminate mosquitoes. Great way to feed the fishies!

LOL I should have known that web was there, there was a bunch of leaves on the ground with only one spinning around when the wind blew, that should have been my first clue. Oh well, I'm just glad it's warming up! And there's a strong cold front coming, it's on the west side of the state one county over from my house, but the weather liars are saying that it's not going to rain until tomorrow evening, how is that possible when the rain is one county away from my house?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8075329

The cocoons were at Powell Gardens for the Butterfly Festival. They were inside the conservatory and there were no wasps or anything in there with them. Just 100% humidity. lol.

Today was cool but a bit humid and wet. Rained all morning then quit by afternoon. The cool front should move in sometime tonight along with more rain. Our highest temps til next week should only be in the low 80s with lows in the high 50s.

Butterfly Lady at the Butterfly Festival. My nephew got a kick outta her. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8076153

Tropic: neat looking pigeon. I like the "topknot". :o))
Crissy: did you get any rain last night? We didn't. :o((
Pepper: I got a kick out of the "butterfly lady", too. LOL

It was overcast last evening--still overcast this morning but still no rain. Chances have gone up, though.

# Today: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Hot. High 94F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms, especially late. Low near 70F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Turk's Cap

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8076184

Mau we didn't get a single drop, but there's a bunch of yellow on radar that is almost at my house right now!!! I'm doing a happy dance, the line of storms formed over Hot Springs and keeps on building.

Pep that is neat, glad you went and thanks for sharing the pics!

My forecast is the same as Mau's.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8077055

Hurricane Earl now reaching the outer banks of NC. No sign of it here (yet).
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #8077112

Stay safe, Dyson--and Joey, too!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8077316

I hope everyone stays safe!!!!!

Man the 'Shelling' is going to be INCREDIBLE in NC in the next few weeks!!!!

Ric

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8077967

The weather folk said this morning that Earl had moved further to the east so hopefully its effects will not be as bad as if "he" had stayed closer to the coast. Things will still be rough but not as rough as originally expected--according to the "experts". Anyway, all you in the path of the hurricane please stay safe!

Our cool front has arrived! Hooray!

# Today: Scattered thunderstorms this morning, then partly cloudy during the afternoon hours. High around 85F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low near 55F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8079080

Earl moved east and blocked all the wet flow to here.
We got way cooler temps but zero rain.
Bad Earl! LOL!

Ric
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8079611

The front passed through here yesterday afternoon with just a couple of brief showers. The temperature relief is most welcome; highs in the 70s for the next couple of days.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #8079746

This morning at 7 a.m. when I went outside the thermometer on my back porch was reading 54F! Woohoo! It will be a great day for working in the flower beds and I am going to take advantage of it. The humidity is low, too! :o))

The flowers have perked up too with the somewhat cooler weather this week. Here's a link to some photos I have taken the last few days:

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/EarlySept2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCKD8w4Sk9aWgtQE#

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8079784

54 here too!
Looks like we're off to do some watering...
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8079798

New September thread!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126960/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America