Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Decorated/ Painted Rock Swap Sign Up Now!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We will use this thread for signing up for the swap and for chatting until we send out.

I'll start the sign ups today and send you your buddy's name on Friday Sept. 3rd. Please try to mail your rock by the 20th of Sept.

Some things to keep in mind:
This can be a hand painted rock in whatever design or technique you choose.
I can also be decorated in some other form i.e. decopauge, polymer clay or mosaic. Whatever kind of thing you are most comfortable in doing.
Rocks can be found items or you can often purchase them at landscaping nurseries that do hardscaping. There is almost always a big bin with smooth river rocks in various sizes that they will sell to you piecemeal.
For sending this parcel, keep in mind the weight. Depending on the size and shape you may be better off to send it Parcel Post as opposed to Flat Rate. Many times, flat rate costs more so don't always assume that that is the best way to ship.

If I have forgotten anything important please feel free to yank my chain on it and I'll come running. :0)

Now Let's Rock!!!!!

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Reserved for our budding Rockhounds!

Neener
ClanCampbell
Happgarden
taters55
dispatcher1
MaggieHanson
Cville_Gardener
FruitOfTheVine
catbirdsue
deejay9
Bettypauze
obliqua
DEMinPA
FroggiesGirl
GAgirl

This message was edited Sep 3, 2010 5:34 PM

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Woohoo!! I'm first.. I've already found a few rocks (need a couple for backup, ya know!) and am going to give it my best shot :)

thanks .. this is going to be fun!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hand waving.....

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, I wish I was talented enough to do something like this???

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

LK.. come on in, you can do it, I have faith :) If I'm willing to take this plunge, you can too and will probably outshine me LOL

About the best I could do is is glue soemthing on it, maybe decopage!

OK, add my name, but no promise for anything fancy!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Add me in on the list! Sounds like fun. Lou

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Excellent!!! You all will do fine. LK I saw your decorated egg that you did in the Spring and that was great. Don't sell yourself short.

That was clay canes sliced, then applied on the paper mache eggs. That was easy, not like trying to paint a rock! Maybe I can find a pretty paper to glue to one? LOL!
Can you bake a rock with clay? Would it break?

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8b)

Can I be in please?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey all If you give me Just a few more days to decide I Truly think I would like in on this one :)))
Can I Have till Monday to decide ???

As for parcel post being cheaper , Well I took a box of irises to send out I ask for the cheapest & parcel post
was 60 cent cheaper then priority 2-3 day compared to the 7-14 day . same with the first class rate just a few cents less then priority rate .

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Deejay you have some time to think about it. A couple of weeks. I just started the thread today. I would love to have you join.

I was thinking this afternoon that if we have enough people from similar areas of the country I can try to match you with someone in the same postal zone. That way we can keep the shipping down.

LK you sure could bake a rock with polymer on it. 275 degrees is nothing to a rock. :0)

Welcome Maggie!! Glad to have you rockin' with us.

Neener

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8b)

I can't wait to get started!
ROCK ON!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

ROCK ON! ... I love that! :-)

Count me in ...
Carole

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome Carole!!! This is gonna be fun!

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm really intrested in this but.........................Sept is going to be avery busy month for me. Will be gone most of the month riding. So I need to think about it.

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

Add me please.

Cathy

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Gotcha Cathy!

It was suggested to me that since Kris had really wanted to do this swap with her grandaughter, that maybe we could also send a rock to them. I was already planning to do that because it isn't a hardship for me to ship. But any of you that also can do it, I'm sure it would be really appreciated as she is going through a kind of tricky time right now and this would cheer her up. No pressure on anyone to send the extra rock, let your finances be your guide. It could of course be a small , simple rock. It's the thought that counts.

Thanks for all the sign ups so far. Keep 'em coming,

WELL Now I Really do not Know if I should sign up for this swap or Not after going over to my sister's Place .
DO YA THINK I NEED ANY MORE ROCKS ????? She is about to move out to IDAHO With her DD"S & Cannot take her Painted yard stones with her so she called me today come say good bye & Gave them all to me .

So I'm not sure if I need any more right now :) but i might :))) these are in the back of my car right now that is why it looks dark
I have to place them around the gardens , but will let you know by Monday for sure .

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

hmmm, wonder if I could paint a Fruit or a Vine "on the rocks"?

deejay, you need to join cause you don't have a rock from one of your gardening buds.....

fotv, you need a rock that looks like an apple or something...LOL that would be funny.

We went thru taco bell this evening and I saw a perfect rock for painting. I was gonna go in and ask if I could have it, but DH said I should go back when he wasn't with me...rofl.....

HAPP YOU ARE SO RIGHT . I Do Need a Garden Stone from One of you :) So RV Add me to the list if you will.

Now To Share my Newest With you all MEET The New Kid on the Block :) Born yesterday Sometime :)
That is his daddy in the background .
well I have a few things to do today like unload my car :) so I wish you all a great day . & will be back later to chat .

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9
Victoria Harbour, ON

Count me in...LindaKay led me this way so here I is..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Already digging in my painting books...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

So many ideas

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Aren't these little ones just too adorable

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Just know I'll be looking for a rock that tapers in the bottom so I can set one in a pot and enjoy at this time of year when all other flowers have lost their charm...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sorry folks, bored here this morning and it's not even 9:30a.m. lol

Just got excited and wanted to share...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, those are so nice! They look so real! Thanks for sharing. Now, do you give online lessons too! LOL!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Those are awsome ideas & pics, Betty. Bored? Not a chance. I'm idea challenged so keep them coming. I especially like the tapered rocks and thought those Caladiums were the real deal!

Oh so cute any with Turkey's ????

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Betty and DeeJay I'll add you in. Been a long day meeting with Fruit Loop and getting our new addition. I am beat and will get back to you all in the morning.

Hopefully will have some pics then.

Betty what wonderful ideas, darn those are so cool. Wonder how anyone ever thinks of painting a tapered rock like caladiums. I am so glad there are people with imagination!

Pittsburgh, PA

Please add me on to the list. I am all ready to paint, I have to find a rock!

Judy

Victoria Harbour, ON

On the run, but I'll quickly add a few more for ideas

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

another

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

peeeewww

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

For you LindaKay

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

kitty/kitty

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.