Photo by Melody

Clean and Clutter-free: Got any Before and After Pictures?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 60, Views: 1,305
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8051636

I'm always amazed at what a difference it makes when I organize something or get rid of the clutter piled up somewhere. Seeing the difference encourages me to continue in the direction I'm going without regret. Do you ever take before and after pictures? I always forget the before pictures. Quite frankly, I'm too embarrassed for anyone to see the befores. But also I simply don't think about it until after the transformation. So I'll share with you a few afters below. Feel free to share your own photos and successes. I think it encourages others to see our organization techniques and to know they're not alone in this clutter thing.

My biggest two accomplishments recently are taming the clutter on my desk and in my kitchen. My desk is in my dining room and it's always been an eyesore. I finally stopped having dinner parties because I just couldn't get the clutter under control on the desk. My desk was a big L-shaped desk with a small hutch on one side. And there were always papers all over the desk as well as sticky notes stuck all around my computer monitor.

Over the weekend I bought a nice cherrywood computer armoire for $25 off Craigslist. I thought it might be too small, but I decided it would force me to minimize some of the stuff I thought I MUST have on my desk. Well, actually I got pretty storage-smart. I used some of the empty plastic storage drawers from my scrapbook room and found they fit some of the shelves on the armoire perfectly. I organized my papers into folders and tucked the folders into drawers. I also tucked away assorted office supplies that had littered my desk for years.

Then I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some corkboard and glued it up on the inside of the armoire doors. The corkboard now holds all my sticky notes, appointment cards, a small calendar and the other nuisance bits of papers that cluttered my desk before. Now when I sit down to work, I don't feel overwhelmed; I feel organized and energized and much more creative.

If desk clutter is an issue for you, I highly recommend an armoire with little cubby holes for everything. And these plastic drawers come in many sizes at hobby lobby and big lots and walmart. You could find some that fit your space. Some of them are stackable, so you can have just one or you can have several stacked together. Usually they come three to a stack, but some can't be unstacked; they have to be stacked in units of 3. So check the sides to see if they can be separated.

Here's my nice neat armoire.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8051638

One of the things I like best about the armoire is that I can close it up when I have dinner guests, so it looks like just a nice piece of furniture.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #8051648

As some of you may have read, I cleaned out my scrapbooking room and got rid of a lot of excess supplies. I emptied several cabinets in there that match the cabinets in my kitchen. So last weekend, I moved the empty cabinets into the kitchen where I had a bare wall. I had already gotten rid of a lot of excess dishes and pots and pans in the kitchen, but with few cabinets, stuff was just piled on stuff. When I'd open a door, things would come tumbling out.

Well, now, the kitchen is well organized, everything within easy reach. And there's room for everything without piling it up. For little things, like tiny plastic storage containers and their lids, I used little plastic trays, like you might use to put ink pens or silverware in. I can easily grab a tray and have the little plastic containers and the appropriate size lids for it.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #8051658

I did have a total of around 6 ft of counterspace in my kitchen, barely enough to hold my cannisters, small appliances and still have room to prepare food. I used one of the empty cabinets in the scrapbooking room to make an island in the center of the kitchen where I can prepare food.

I used the other empty cabinets against the wall with a 3 ft deep countertop over them to hold my small appliances and cannisters and there's still plenty of room for mixing up cookie dough or whatever. It doesn't look crowded or cluttered anymore; it looks neat and pretty, I think. What do you think?

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #8051673

In the island cabinet, I store my pots and pans. I installed a wire basket to hold the lids to my pots. They were constantly in the way and a couple of them had fallen out and broken (glass lids). Now they're tucked away out of the way and my pots and pans are neatly stacked and easy to access.

My kitchen no longer looks cluttered and unuseable. I have space to work and can get to what I need without a hassle. I feel like I have a whole new kitchen now. And I still have one empty cabinet! I've never had an empty cabinet in the kitchen before. LOL

The picture below shows half of the island cabinet; the other half is similar. If you can't install wire racks to hold your pot lids, consider those plastic shoe boxes you can get at dollar stores, walmart, Big Lots, etc. The lids will fit in them well too.

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #8060667

Good work! Thanks for posting this. I also don't think to get a "before" pic and am embarrassed when I do think of it. Maybe I will get inspired by your successes.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8063474

Does it count if it's the kids clutter?
This is before I threatened to throw it all away

The family room

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8063485

everything put away... stuffed animals are in the big rubbermaid bin and all the little stuff were in plastic little bins, books are in a basket
Currently I moved a dresser from the bedroom to the family room 3 drawers for my son 3 for my daughter if it doesn't fit in the dresser it needs to be put away in their room

Thumbnail by flowAjen

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #8063541

That's a big difference!!! Way to go!!!

When my son was a teenager, his bedroom floor caught everything. It would just be blanketed with papers, clothes, cds, books, etc. I told him one day that he had 24 hrs to clean it up. If he didn't, I would, and anything on the floor would be thrown away.

He didn't, so I did. I bagged up every item on the floor and put it all in the trash. He was so mad that I threw away his "favorite" clothes (if they're your favorite, why are they on the floor????), CDs, new guitar strings, video games, and oodles of "good" things. After that, when I threatened to clean his room, he'd usually sorta clean it himself first. LOL But he's still very messy. Fortunately he doesn't live with me so it doesn't bug me now. LOL
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #8066414

Thanks for the laugh, Flowerjen!

When I met my husband he was a single father to two daughters, 6 and 9 yrs. He would tell them to clean their rooms and threatened that anything left on the floor would be thrown away. Turns out that is a good way to get new toys and clothes. ;-)
avianut
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8112456

Okay, I will step up to the plate! Here is MY 'BEFORE" pic... we will see if I graduate to an "After" shot! :-)

Thumbnail by avianut

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #8112484

Hey, that all looks familiar, avianut! We'll be waiting for the "after" picture. You CAN DO IT!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #8113116

Good for you, avianut. Can't wait to see the after!
ummh
Crosswicks, NJ

October 5, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #8139377

Man I wish I had some before pics too...the basement and computer room was a terrible mess my husband had made.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8139822

I know what you mean...My before pictures of any room in my house, garage, ! the 3 sheds ! gosh, they would have really been inspirational.
The best picture would have been the one of my mind. As i got everything decluttered, organized and decluttered again, I turned into the most peaceful, organized person that I had ever been. Everything is so much easier now. All of the clutter put up roadblocks to anything I did in every area of my home and that transfered into my attitude.
Unfortunately, now, near the 2 year anniversary of my start of the job of decluttering, I am seeing that I need to do it again and again, forever. DH and I will be making the big move back to the states in a couple of years or less, and at that time we will do a huge purge of the stuff that we have here in Korea. But before that, we need to get a handle on our "hidden spaces". We brought and bought lots of storage type furniture for our first apartment here and when we moved into our current one, it had lots of built-in storage...and we have gotten it ALL full of junk-n-stuff. None of this stuff will survive a purge, so why do we keep it? It seems easier to ignore it, I guess.
I currently have 4 pages open on this computer from LifeHacker that are about procrastinating...I may have to see if my librarian can get that book for me.
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

October 5, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #8140177

I'm finding that it's a struggle to keep it under control, too, Juney. It's kind of like the difference between housecleaning and housekeeping. It's better done a bit at a time than all at once.

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #8140316

This is my brain.
This is my brain on clutter.

=^..^=
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

October 6, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8140832

Oh, huckleberry, that's too funny. Thanks for the laugh to start my day!
avianut
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #8149837

Okay, I AM working on that desk- it's just that the stacks of papers at the bottom are intimidating (I don't even remember where some of them came from, so not sure whether to pitch). Hopefully I will get to the rest of them this week (I guess if I don't know what they are, I might as WELL pitch them, right?
right?
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #8151476

Aaargh, avianut, that is the part that defeats me too. The "What If I end up needing this after I get rid of it" feeling. Hopefully you can figure it out. I'm rooting for you to get it done!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #8151833

You could always scan them into the computer if you think you might need them again. But my guess is, once you started scanning them, you'd reassess them again and decide that most belongs in the trash. When you have to take the time to scan them, you'll discover the actual value of the papers and then most of them won't be as valuable as suspected at first.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 31, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #8186602

Will work on getting some pictures taken today.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #8189643

You go, girl!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8209616

Howdy All - I finally went through some of my pictures earlier this week and have a couple of befores to show and some other things that I marked as wanting to show you gals.

For those who have heard me lament over and over about my extra room that I have set up as the winter home for most of my houseplants, I want to share what it was like at one point. I haven't yet taken the after, but will try to do so later today and post it.

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8209618

Another view...

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8209619

and one more...

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8209641

I also wanted to share something I did with the mirror collection I somehow ended up with. I suppose that I ended up with a collection because I would see things that caught my eye and so I purchased it or whatever. I decided to begin hanging them on the screened porch where we enter and leave the house. I like it very much and it has brought me a lot of joy just seeing all the things actually being put to use.

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #8209647

This is a view taken from outside of the porch.

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8209649

My dining room wall with mirrors also...

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 13, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #8209653

Last one...this is my garden window that I look out of whenever I am standing at the kitchen sink.

Thumbnail by rubyw

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #8212200

Oh, WOW! Ruby, you rocked the before and afters! I feel like typing a million Thank You's!

I see we have the same love of decorative objects. So courageous of you (all of you who post the before shots). Ok, I feel that the path has been well lit and I need to follow this path.

LOVE the screened porch. One of my goals in life is to have a screened sleeping porch.

Love the colored glass in the window. I bet it is lovely even when the weather is gloomy.
Thanks again and enjoy those clean rooms! =^..^=
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8212484

I love your porch and colored glass too, Ruby. Very nice!

Your extra room looks like my guest room at the moment. Everything I've decided to cull out goes in the guest room until I sell it or freecycle it. And my packing boxes are stored there. Right now it's pretty full, but if all the "culls" weren't in there, the room would be empty. When I'm done decluttering and have the room cleaned out again, I'll put a futon in there for guests. I hope to have all of my decluttering done within the next year and then I can focus on maintaining order.

But the more I clear out, the more I want to clear out. I'm giving up things I never thought I'd part with. I'm finding I like my shelves, tables and walls with very little on them. I'm decorating now with only the most beloved pieces--like oil paintings done by friends as well as myself, a big brass ship my sister gave me 25 years ago, and pictures of family. My foyer walls are covered in family portraits, but walls in other rooms are fairly clean.

It wasn't always that way; I used to cover every inch of space with something, but I'm finding that I like bare spaces more these days. I look around my house and I see other items that now seem like clutter and they just annoy me. So anything that annoys me is outta here. One day, maybe I'll be at peace with my home. I'm getting there, one room at a time.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 15, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #8212559

So glad to hear from you Huckleberry. So glad that I had an impact on you too. Girl, I love all my shiny's. The ornaments and things I have hanging all around the home are called wall jewelry. I believe that is acceptable in terms of the decorating style of Funky Shui. hahaha I hear you Butterfly, about the clearing out. I am no where near where you are on this journey. For now I am happy with my progress and still enjoy most of the things sitting around. Along with the de-cluttering that I am attempting, I am also doing a lot of cleaning as I go along. That makes a major difference in how I see things too.

Thankfully I have been fortunate enough to have a cleaning lady who used to come weekly and now bi weekly and she is the one who contends with the knicky knacks and other things. If the dusting were left to me, I would have gotten rid of things a long time ago. I was thinking just recently that one of my tendencies used to be changing decor quite often and rearranging my furniture. I realize that I hadn't done much of that at all since moving in this house about six years ago. The reason I came up with is that when I was the one doing the bulk of the cleaning, I tended to tire of my belongings much quicker than I do when someone else is in charge of their care.

Speaking of screen porches...I too used to have owning one on my list of wants. Every time I would ride by a house with a screened in porch, I would drool. When our finances were better a few years back, I finally was able to get this one done. We enjoy it. It too can become cluttered and horrible looking from time to time. We enter the house through the door on the porch and so I try to do my best to keep it looking welcoming instead of trashy. It is home to my houseplants during the warmer months and my hubby calls it my jungle.

Anyway...thanks for the comments Huckleberry and Butterfly. Good to see you as always. I took a picture two days ago of the current state of jungle which is now inside for the winter. Yeah, Butterfly, I hear you on how troublesome it can be to tend and maintain the plants and to carry in and out, but for now they are not something I would consider getting rid of. I figure that as I age and my body continues to sabotage me that I will begin thinning them out when the care becomes too much for me. For now I derive too much pleasure from them to not have them.
Hope that you ladies willl have a great week coming up.

Will post the plant room picture after a bit. Gonna run and do a few things at the moment. Smooches to both of ya!!!

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 15, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8212658

Dang, dang, dang...took pictures of the current plant room and they are too dark to tell much. Will find camera owners manual sometime and see what correct flash setting or whatever is. This happened once before when I was taking pictures of my grand children and it is such a bummer!!! Anyway...

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 15, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8212660

another one...

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 15, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8212663

one more...

Thumbnail by rubyw

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8217860

What a fabulous idea it was to install the sliding glass door. I recall how you persevered thru the construction obstacles and stuck to your plan. You have every right to beam with pride!
Your hubby is right..I searched your photos to see if there were any tropical birds or monkeys in your lovely jungle. I did spy the glorious fall foliage on the hillside. What a thrill! You are blessed! Enjoy it and thanks for sharing it with us.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 18, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8218343

Hi huckleberry, yeah I noticed the fall colors in the photo too. It has been some really pretty colors here this year. I don't leave the house every day like I did when employed and so whenever I mosey out I realize how blessed I am to live in such a pretty place with all of God's glory to experience.

I still haven't found the time to sit down and figure out what is happening with my camera. I will try to find the time this weekend maybe. Gosh, if you had looked a bit closer in the jungle I am sure that you would have seen at least an elephant here or there. My main collection is elephant figures. I have them in every room though the majority of them are now housed in a glass front cabinet in my son's bedroom. I need to be giving some thought to changing that because I don't get to enjoy them being there.

Oh yeah, getting this door installed was something else. I have enjoyed it though. Next summer I will be able to open the door and sit some of the houseplants on the front deck to spend the season and not have to tote them such a long distance.

Take care and thanks for responding.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #8219328

Your porch with the screen & the mirrors for wall hangings is on my 'want list'!
I do so love your plant room. And I remember how difficult it is to work with some handymen...I am so glad that you got the room all put together and it looks so wonderful. Someday...I will do that to a room in whatever place I end up. DH said yesterday that he would not mind Missouri again. I am praying that it will be several hundred mile south of there. I really DO NOT LIKE REAL WINTERS! I am OK with summer being 9+ months long, I just don't think that I can stand too many more winters that have a daytime high less than 50 or so. I have Fort Hood, Texas in my prayers LOL!
I am having a paperwork problem. I put things on my desk thinking that I need to read/reply/do something with them and when the stack gets too high, I put it on the filing cabinet, and when it looks too bad, I stick it into a drawer...and never deal with it... I need to figure this out...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 20, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8221447

I hope that your wishes for certain rooms and certain places to live come to fruition some day Juney. Gosh, I am the very last person on earth that you want advice from regarding paper work. I have to admit to being very careless with papers and always have a hard time locating things when I need them. I have been addressing the paper issue a little at a time for a while now. I can't begin to tell you the things I have bought to simplify life in regards to record and bookkeeping. None are being used though is the problem My latest purchase along those lines is a plastic bin bought at an office supply store that is the size of a regular size file folder. I have the hanging folders in the bin but not all the papers are filed in their correct files yet. Over the years I have stored different types of papers in different locations. I need to go through two desks that I own and get together the papers in them that need to be with other important documents.

Giving some thought to this now I realize that there are several of my purchases still in original wrapping in my closets taking up space. I suppose it is time for me to finally let go of them. I won't be using them because I plan to have everything together in the plastic bin, so now is as good a time as any to decide where to send the other things.

Thanks for bringing the paper work topic up Juney. Made me do some thinking and thus will allow me to rid myself of a few more clutter makers. I have a friend that I will offer them to and if she doesn't need them, off to charity shop they will go. Gosh, I love it whenever I can come here and get inspired. The three items are small but every little thing counts I believe.

I wish you good luck in deciding what to do with your paper issue. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8221461

Ahhhh, paperwork! I find that filing papers is most people's most dreaded task. I volunteer in a patient assistance program and my main job is to file. In fact, I file for two different offices. In one office, the woman had about 300 documents that needed to be filed when I arrived. In doing her filing, I discovered that it actually takes only about 10-15 minutes WEEKLY to do a week's worth of her filing. She really doesn't have much, maybe 5 or 6 documents a week, sometimes 10. But in her mind, it would take her forever to file those few documents. So if I didn't do it for her, the pile would eventually grow to 300 documents again.

At home I have a filing cabinet and keep most documents filed there. But for other documents I need to access frequently, I have plastic drawers on my desk. So instead of having piles of papers everywhere, I have drawers for each type of document. Bills I need to pay are in one drawer--I pay bills twice a month. My brother's papers are in one drawer. My sales records are in one drawer, etc. It's easy to find what I'm looking for since I know which drawer it's in. And for some reason, it seems easier to me to open a drawer and throw in a paper than it is to open the filing cabinet and put something in a file.

Y'all might try these drawers. You can get them at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Big Lots, Kmart, etc. I think even Dollar General carries them. They come in various sizes. The ones on my desk will hold 9 x 12 papers. The ones in my scrapbook room will hold 12 x 12 papers. Look for the units that are completely detachable and stackable. Some units are 3 drawers that cannot be separated. But others are 3 drawers that CAN be separated. So if you only have a cubbyhole tall enough for two drawers, you can take them apart. Then you may have a cubbyhole big enough for four drawers, so you can put the extra drawer with another 3-drawer unit.

I actually use these plastic drawers in cabinets, closets, my craft room, storage room, office, etc. They come in all sizes. You can even get some on casters so you can roll them around as needed. Here's a pic of some of the drawers on my desk. File folders fit in the drawers perfectly too.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 20, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8221499

I have a similar one on the end of my kitchen counter which seems to be a collection area for me. One drawer has papers I need from time to time and the other two drawers have all sorts of things that I need to have handy such as paper clips, rubber bands, scissors and the like. It has been a definite favorite organizer.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8224271

I hate paperwork...I would be soooo much more organized if I lived by myself...I do very well with the important stuff but when it comes to I need this soon so where to put it so I remember to do it or handle it or whatever...I really just need to break down and buy another desk...they two we have are for the business so I try not to mix in any personal stuff with business.
Our kitchen island ends up being the catch all, drives me CRAZY
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8234654

Butterfly - I like your computer armoire. What a deal and it appears to match the cabinet next to it with the printer on it. How do you open the printer cabinet? I really like those armoire concepts. Wonder if my big 27" iMac would fit? Since there is no CPU, I could have more boxes there. I like those stacking drawers. I have some giant versions of those in my MBdrm closet that I keep ribbons, bows and tissue for wrapping. If I had a wheeled base I could put them on, it would be great to be able to roll them to a table to use. I could also add another one to put all the gift bags from a copy paper box they are in now (in utility room near trash can that holds all the rolls of paper. It would be great to have them all in one place. I also have some similar sized stacking drawers in our MBa utility closet. One holds medications and another has misc. loose "stuff. I have those plastic shoeboxes stacked in that closet with 1. hair stuff; 2. makeup; 3. manicure stuff, then open bins for: 1. soaps/shampoos; 2. lotions/moisturizers; 3. oral care; 4. deoderants & sprays; 5. small paper (Qtips, flushables, etc) and 6. shoe care. I do a lot of coupon/sale shopping and often get toiletries for free to nearly free and stock up so I am glad we have that big closet. I will have to do a tidy in there and take a picture. I also use those boxes and drawers for sewing, craft and seed supplies.

This first shot is my sewing room (I could have a reverse before and after as this is the before and now DH has turned it into a cluttered office). I have bins under that table with quilt projects to be and another 4 drawer plastic drawer organizer for craft items.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8234658

Here is inside one cabinet, before I had to put more stuff into it, after losing sewing room.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #8234670

And here is the other side of the room when DH was only just starting to encroach. These are filled with quilting notions, patterns and fabrics, by color and theme. Love those old dressers with big and deep drawers. I have a couple 'under the bed' bins with holiday and other themed fabrics under the table too. And, BTW, the computers used to be in what is supposed to be the kitchen eating area.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8234865

Quiltygirl, it all looks so neat and organized. You better kick the hubby out of there before he trashes the room. LOL

Did your big plastic drawers not come with a set of casters? Mine had casters in one of the drawers and I just popped them into the bottom of the unit. I might have an extra set of casters that would fit yours if you want to dmail me a picture of the unit upright and turned upside down so I could see if my casters would fit on the bottom of yours. Did you get them at walmart? If so, mine will probably fit. It's really so convenient to be able to roll them around.

The printer cabinet next to my armoire is actually part of the armoire. It's the bottom door that would hide the keyboard drawer and tower on the bottom half of the armoire. But during the move, the door fell off its hinges and I didn't put it back on. The way I have the armoire sitting, if the bottom door was attached, it would open into our walkspace and be inconvenient. So I made it a printer stand and just wedged it between the wall and the armoire.

With an armoire like mine, you can modify it. I could remove the CD racks next to the monitor. I could remove all the shelves above the monitor if I needed to. I'm notorious for modifying furniture to suit my purposes. Of course there are different kinds of armoires too. Watch Craigslist and yard sales and you may find a steal like I did. I found another one just like this one for $50 and I wish I had bought it. It would have been a great TV armoire. If I see another one, I'll grab it!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 29, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #8235611

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures quilty. Everything looks great. I am going to try and find time later today and take some pics of the work I have done in the past three days with some of the closets. I better take the pictures quickly because if history is any indicator, they will be a mess once again in no time.

Anywa...hee is hoping that everyone has a great week coming up. Happy de-cluttering!!!

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8238202

Ruby. I am making sure I am not doing that. But it is not easy. But all it is going to take is one thing laid down for a moment, then the pile starts again. I am sincerely trying to not go there.

The garage is still my biggest dumping ground. Right now, anything I have where I do not have a specific place, it is temporarily going into the garage. That is OK in my mind, because the garage is not complete yet. LOL.

Later friends. Sharon. I have a dental appointment so I probably will not get anything done. So I will go to the Post Office and pick up a few things for Baby Luke.
Advize_Guyz
Elmwood Park, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8541806

I too had forgot to take a picture of my 1 car garage that really was a storage spot. Just take out the car and picture not being able to walk through it. I will add a picture tonight of what it looks like with the car out and all the stuff in it.

The garage now can be turned into a batting cage for my daughter to hit balls into a painting tarp hanging from the rafters.

Mike

Thumbnail by Advize_Guyz

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8541912

What a nice neat garage, Mike! I bet it feels good to park in there again.
Advize_Guyz
Elmwood Park, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8541969

Yes especially in the winter. Not having to brush of one car and not worring about it getting stuck in the snow in the street after the plow goes by was great.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 6, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8544417

Good going Mike.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8544425

Isn't it a great feeling to have that space back?! Great job turning that storage room into a multi-purpose garage!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8861436

I just ran across pictures of my guestroom filled with all the stuff I wanted to get rid of last year. Here's what the piled up guest room looked like a year ago.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8861439

And another picture. What a mess!!

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8861444

This is what the room looks like now, with everything cleared out and new hardwood installed. Quite a difference, huh? I've gotten the rest of the house in line as well, except my office, which is a bit cluttered now since I've combined it with my craft room. But I'm working on it.

Where are you befores and afters?

NancyAnn

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 24, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8862533

That's an amazing transformation, Nancy Ann. Well done!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9022886

Greetings to all of you! I see some of the names from the other forum thread "Ten Hoarding Signs" are also on this forum too! That's nice ~ good to see the names of people I've already exchanged comments with. I think some of you will recall my comments & pics that I posted on the "Hoarding" forum, after spending several days and hours "decluttering and cleaning" my kitchen, fortunately those were the after photos as well.

About a month ago, I bought a 2TB external drive with the intent of storing my photos on there that I work with. The computer tech at Staples said I should back up everything on it, so I did. While the 2TB drive was at Staples being loaded with all my computer 'stuff', I was home cleaning off the "desk" part of my computer furniture. This computer desk/hutch combo was bought a few years ago at Office Depot [now I don't like it, but can't afford to replace it yet] and has several little "cubbies" similar to the other "armoire" post way up the thread. The desk area is free from most of the original clutter, except for papers that have numerous email & website info to be recorded for later use. The upper right top cubby was cleaned & now holds a few of my software programs for the computer. I also bought 3 of those plastic "shoe" bins that will become the new 'home' for quite a bit of stuff from the upper computer hutch area. I have room for a 4th storage bin if I decide to get another one and also have a small area to the side where I can put my plastic letter file that I keep my photography contracts in. Eventually, I will print out some labels for these storage drawers. There were drawers that were supposed to go in this space, but wouldn't assemble very easy so I got pissed & trashed them. I usually do take "before" and "after" pics of all my home improvement projects & 'eyesores' and this project is no different! I actually have a "before" pic that I took before any cleaning was done with the desk area of this computer desk. Yes, I admit it's embarrassing for y'all to see this, but once I'm done with this project, you'll see a major transformation!

@ rubyw ~ about the problem you're having with your camera & dark photos ~ I don't recall what brand camera you told me you have [hopefully digital], but I just recently discovered this with my own Canon camera when out on a photoshoot. You know how I am with my cameras, you've seen some of my photos. If you set your camera to the "Manual" setting, then you can control the shutter speed & aperture values. First, set the [AV] aperture mode to about "4.0-4.5"; then dial back to the [M] manual mode to control the shutter speed. I find that if I have my shutter speed at "1/30 sec" it gives off a really bright image. While your camera is in the manual mode, by turning the dial to the left, it makes it brighter; turning the dial to the right will make it darker. Experiment with a few shots & you'll see what I'm talking about. Just keep playing with the settings until you get the desired lighting you want for your pic. I don't know what your ISO setting was when you took those shots, but usually bumping up the ISO setting to 800 or 1600 might give you a bit more light, other than the light you had to work with. Some cameras have a limit to the ISO they can increase to. My Canon Powershot SX30 IS only goes as high as ISO 1600, whereas my Canon EOS 60D DSLR can go as high as ISO 6400. You can always delete the images with the lighting that you don't like. Hope that helps you a bit, even though I know your post is over a year ago.

@ quilty ~ thanks for the idea of the storage for the sewing fabrics! I have a mobile home, so any type of storage space is at a premium! I've found that I have to get very creative with things. I also do a bit of sewing when time permits and even though having a dresser next to my sewing machine is not feasible, I can definitely do the storage bins with rollers. Thanks for the great ideas! :)

Anyway, here is my "before" pic of my computer desk/hutch before I did any cleaning at all b/4 I brought home my fully loaded 2TB drive. And I will be posting an "after" pic also! Any comments are okay, I can take it! LOL !!

Thumbnail by Fleur_2011

rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 28, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9023293

Hi Fleur - I have to admit that you are speaking greek to me with shutter lens talk and such. The camera that I purchased some years back is a Sony Mavica. My sons laughed at me because of size of it and how old it was at the time I purchased it. It has done pretty well for me though.

I used to sell on line and was using the camera of one of my son's friends at the time and the Sony Mavica is what I felt comfortable with when it was time for me to purchase one. The only complaint I do have about the camera is the zoom lens. It will only zoom a very tiny bit and sometimes I wish it was capable of a lot more.

Last week I was trying to take a picture of my foot which has had a bruise on it for over a month. It is finally healing and is purple and wanted a picture to show my doctor on the next visit. Having to use the camera really close to the foot and using the flash with it, gave me lots of blurry white pictures until I figure out it didn't need the flash.

Anyway...thanks for attempting to set me straight. I will look forward to seeing your after pic of the desk.

Ruby
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9026727

Hi rubyw: Great to hear from you again. I have the 3 totes down in the area of my computer desk where the drawers would have gone, if I could have gotten them assembled correctly. I got frustrated with trying to fit the drawer together and just chucked it into the trash!! As I mentioned in my post, I'll be sorting through the other cubbies one at a time and putting the things that are important to keep into the storage totes. I'm getting there slowly, but surely!

I've been busy with some recent photoshoots for my Redlands Camera Club for an upcoming art show that will be exhibiting some of the members' photos of the historical sites & homes around the Redlands area. On Thursday, my friend and I went to do the University of Redlands school area and both of us got quite a few interesting photos.

Well, hopefully your camera will give you better images next time. Don't feel bad, I don't always get good photos with my camera either. I'm always looking at my images & settings to see if I need to change up anything. As they say, practice makes perfect! Will be posting the pic as soon as my computer desk is totally clean. Glad you liked the idea of mine using the "peel & stick" tiles. Gotta scoot and get some sleep. I've been up since 7am Thursday morning. Shower & beddy-bye time! Looking forward to chatting with ya again soon! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America