-
AuthorContent
JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

August 20, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8051756

Perennial Hibiscus. Does anyone else have any?

This message was edited Aug 20, 2010 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by JimsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #8052007

Beautiful! Mine is maroon solid color, but I did buy 2 Hibiscus that are not hardy.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 20, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #8053164

If that is a hardy, I have about 10 different varieties.
chinabitbit
Fridley, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 23, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #8058574

Here is mine 'Fantasia'

Thumbnail by chinabitbit

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8062991

I have Lord Baltimore that has been blooming like crazy. And a Lady Baltimore that is just thinking about booming... Lord Baltimore must have about 8 seed pods going right now, so there is not too much blooming going on. Bummer!

Thumbnail by blupit007

JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

August 26, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8063727

Hi blupit007: My Perennial Hibiscus is blooming like crazy and it has been for at least 1 1/2 months. I am in Ontario, Canada and I am quite proud of my achievement with this beauty! The blooms are gorgeous! There are probably 15-20 blooms open at any given time during the heat of June , July and August. This picture was taken about 2 weeks ago. I've included a shot of the beauty for your enjoyment. I think I'll create a forum and put it in the forum so everyone can enjoy it as well.
Kind regards: Jim

This message was edited Aug 26, 2010 5:46 PM

This message was edited Aug 26, 2010 5:48 PM

Thumbnail by JimsGarden

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 26, 2010
10:33 PM

Post #8064728

Jim, do you pinch yours early to create more of a bush? This is my Moi Grande this morning.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 26, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #8064731

This is also this morning and this is Party Pink.

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8065107

I didn't pinch my Lord Baltimore and it grew to be 7' tall with 5 or 6 stalks that needed to be staked... Next year I will pinch for sure. My Lady Baltimore took 1 1/2 months to peak her sprouts out of the ground after Lord was already up and blooming. I did pinch her, and although I have no blooms yet, it is much bushier.

Lord Baltimore in background, Lady Baltimore in foreground.

Thumbnail by blupit007

JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

August 27, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8065112

Hi WormsLovSharon: No, I do not pinch mine back early or at any other time for that matter. The plant is doing just fine as you can see, All I did before and after planting was dig a fairly large hole for it to live in. Then I soaked the rootball with root growth hormone before and after planting. Onco I planted it, I gave it another fair dousing of the hormone and then it was just water and Miracle Grow every couple of weeks after that. I guess it also didn't hurt that I mulched all of our gardens front and back the same years that I planted the Hibiscus. I love my gardens and all of the plants front and back of the house, which are quite extensive. My wife keeps telling me no more no more, but when I saw those two beautiful orange Trumpet Vines, I just couldn't resist. I actually think they were the only two left and they are doing quite well also. Do you know any tips on trumpets that you could pass along for future reference just in case? I must run WormsLoveSharon so Adios for now and Kindest regards:
Jim

Thumbnail by JimsGarden

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #8065136

I think I have Lord Baltimore. Never knew the name.Can LB be propagated by stem cuttings? I tried my first pollination this morning. Hopefully I did it right.
JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

August 27, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8065151

So, WormsLovSharon: How about sending me a few cuttings from your 10 different varieties of Hibiscus? I have no idea what you would want for something like that, or if it is even possible? I am in Zone 5B and the Hibiscus are all doing fine that I come across in my travels.
It would be lovely to have more varieties though. No letter would ever be complete without Lincoln out watching for Santa on Christmas Eve. He's such a Ham! So does a picture speak a thousand words here or what?
Regards: Jim

Thumbnail by JimsGarden

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #8065166

WormsLovSharon does your prty pink produce seeds?? its a beautiful pink.. I dont have any that color..
jen
JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

August 27, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #8065235

Hi Jen: I have never really paid all that much attention to what goes on behind the flower, but I will now. I have never noticed and pods or anything, so waht exactly should I be looking for Jen?
Regards: Jim
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8065493

the dead flower will fall off and the seed pod will start from there.. Some hibs will not set seed, these ones the flower falls off then the left part turns yellow and falls off..
JimsGarden
Oshawa
Canada

August 27, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8065643

So Smurf: What you are saying is Hardy Hibiscus will not seed at anytime?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #8065654

The ones everyone's been showing & talking about here are all hybrids and won't come true from seed, so even if you do get seed the babies won't necessarily look like the parents. Flower color may be different, etc
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8065742

no no no, some will never seed.. sometimes when they are hybrid they dont seed.. ones like the luna series, disco belles they will.. I know copper king doesn't, and theres a few others
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 27, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #8066549

I will be glad to send you cuttings. I also found seed pods on the Moi Grande. I have an EZ Cloner and I am going to root some soon but they are still blooming.

I have one I have had over 15 years. My father got it as a bonus from a Burpee order and he lived in a very cold area in Nevada and he gave it to me. It puts up at least 15 stalks. I should dig it up and separate but have not done so.

I have one Baltimore. I do not know which one. I planted both, the tags got removed and one died. I have to wait for it to bloom. It is 1/10 the size plant, after one year, than the ones I received from Plant Delights.

The attached photo is the 15+ year old hibiscus. I transplanted part here to our new home we built 9 years ago.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 27, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #8066552

Close up photo.

jgrinter
Edwardsville, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8072440

I have a Lord Baltimore that totally went wild this year and is way too large for the place it is now planted. It is about 7+ ft. tall and has about 15 stalks. Blooms were huge and abundant. All of that would be wonderful, but we have a beautiful wind sculpture (expensive, too) that it has totally overtaken. I must move it. I finally had to prune it down to about 4 ft. tall.

Question: Can I move it while it still has leaves? I really don't think I can wait until it goes dormant.

thanks,
Judy

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8072457

Judy I have moved Hardy Hibiscus in all stages, dormant, blooming, etc. and they suffered no ill effects..
jgrinter
Edwardsville, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8072657

thanks, that makes it so much easier, AND, DH will be happy!! ;-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America