-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8056182

If you are signed up with the Ball web site you may have received their survey.
This is the link sent to me...may not work for you :
/survey84/default.asp
It is a very Odd survey, with the questions they ask.
If your interested check it out.

Dwight
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #8056629

They are finally hearing the BPA controversy. About time they woke up. But they are going to go for another coating instead. It might well take years to find out the truth about that. I commented that they should consider manufacturing glass lids again, because they are infinitely reusable, recyclable, non-reactive, and traditional. I guess the "infinitely reusable" is the sticking point for them.:)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8060169

I agree... why would they want to make a product that is reuseable? No profit in that...
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8061015

Thanks for providing the link. I had a fun time filling out the essays.

The new products they're rolling out are quite revealing about society though, eh? Be safe! (And don't bother to understand or respect glass thermodynamics- we've got ya covered! For a price!)

I mean really: who handles lava-hot jars by just grabbing them with their bare hands? LOL! Whatever. I bet they'll sell zillions.

Though I must admit the UV blocking glass is a good idea. Some folks like to display their canned goods, and eat them too~ and here's hoping that the BPA free lids aren't packing something equally nasty...

Drat. I meant to mention the declining quality of the rings. I don't know what they're making them out of now, but they're so flimsy & easily bent now. And I had some rust form on the edges overnight while the jars cooled! Overnight!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8061070

About rusting lids... I agree the 'new' lids are crap, in every way. I've been thinking to buy some of the old glass lids on ebay, and rubber gaskets from Tattler. They should both work with the rings I have, I think.

I have a small root cellar building tucked (partially) into the hillside. Since our house interior (heated) space is limited, I store lots of dry goods (rice, beans, pasta) in quart and half-gallon mason jars out in the root cellar. The root cellar is damp from seepage in the back wall, and lids rust. I tried spray-painting the top of the lids, and both inside and outside of the rings but it's costly and time-consuming.

Then I read a solution for that problem recently, and I'm getting ready to do it. Melt some paraffin or beeswax, and dip the jar top into it, deep enough to coat the ring and a bit of the neck for a good seal. Keeps the dampness from rusting the lids. Lots of that stuff out there is an emergency supply, and seldom gets opened anyway. Easy to break the seal, and easy to re-seal if necessary.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8061272

You might be able to just rub some olive oil on the bands when you are ready to put them away. It's good for protecting metal that rusts. I use it on my gardening tools at the end of the season.

I have been using the glass Presto-type lids and am getting to like them a lot because you can use them with regular jars. You have to get the rubber rings on ebay, though, as I have not found the new rubber rings that Lehman's has fit them. I have been regularly checking all the jars I used them on, which is about 75 now, and I have had one failure after they cooled and were put away. I have found that it is somewhat like the metal lids in terms of tightening the "band." You have to tighten them gently and then process them. If you tighten them hard, then they are more likely to unseal when you unscrew the Presto top. The vintage Presto aluminum tops seem to work better than the apparently newer brassy Presto tops. I also like the rubber rings that do not have a bulge, IOW, the brand-X rubber rings seem to work better than tthe ones that were made for the Presto tops by Cupple.

I am now going to try the porcelain-lined zinc caps on Ball Perfect quart jars. This is all for high-acid, BWB foods. Stocking Up III has directions on how to use the zinc lids. There are "billions and billions" of Ball Perfect jars out there and ditto zinc lids, even new in box ones. And from what I can see, these rubber rings are available new from Lehman's.

Adventures in canning, lol. Whoever thought I would get into it? I sure didn't. :)
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #8061307

I mentioned the rings in great detail and also suggested that instead of all these mythical magic coatings they consider going back to a good sturdy jar? Revolutionary ideas;-0
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8069061

I was just canning today and totally irritated with the new Ball silver canning rings too! After one use in my pressure cooker they are showing signs of rust. Guess they are wanting us to purchase new ones every year.

I always remove my rings before storing my jars. My GM and my mom always did it and I have done it for years. Never had a jar come unsealed. That way the rings can be reused and you don't have to worry about them rusting during storage.

Does anyone know of any stainless canning rings? Would be willing to dish out a few $$ to have something that lasted. I would go with the glass lids and rubbers but don't seem to be able to find rubbers much cheaper than 6/$2.50 and with the amount of produce that I can that is just not feasible.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8069446

I have seen tin ones but not stainless. I got some a few tin ones with some glass lids for the wide-mouths. They were antiques and not cheap. Hard to find, too.

It does seem like they are deliberately making things more and more junky so that we are forced to buy replacements all the time.
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #8069752

I went on Ball's home canning website today http://www.freshpreserving.com and wrote a complaint about their cheap rusty rings. Especially since they changed their packaging to commemorate their 150 year anniversary. Should be showing more quality not less!

Guess what, they are changing the rest of the packaging too. Wonder if that means that their jars are going to be thinner now also? The old ones are probably lasting too long now and new ones will crack after a couple of uses. Think I'm going to stock up on a few more cases of jars before the new ones come out.

Maybe if enough of us complain to Ball they will hear us.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #8069918

I got some jars in the new green packaging couple weeks ago, and this morning I weighed one of the new jars to compare it to an old one and saw a slight difference, but IME jars generally don't all weigh the same. Later I will weigh some more and see if they are thinner. The metal lids certainly seem thinner to me, even flimsy, but I have quit using them. I did 14 pints of giardiniera yesterday with glass lids and no failures, so I am getting the hang of using those. I have noticed people are starting to bid on them on ebay now.

I think it's a good idea to let Ball know loud and clear how you feel about this stuff. Corporations sometimes get hypnotized by their own spin.
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8070227

So with your glass lids you need the old fashioned canning rubber rings for a seal right? Any cheap place to get those? Really expensive every place I've seen them.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8070260

Yes, the ones without the tabs. None of the new rubber rings are the right size. I have been getting them on ebay. Last bunch I bought was $4 for five dozen plus $6 shipping. They look like they will last good. Since there is no tab, they don't get all stretched out, and I deliberatey used some that had rubber crumbs in the box to see how they would hold up, and they were fine. I saw a whole case for sale on ebay but I did not have the money on hand to get them then. I hope to see them come up again like that. I'm just going to buy them as they come up for a reasonable price. I've been thinking they are probably common enough to find at antique stores, esp. in rural areas. I'm going to check around where I live. The boxes are nicely printed and apparently people collect the different ones for that reason. Sometimes they sell the boxes empty because of that, but mostly they still have the rings in them.
Hetep
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8070319

I'll add my thanks to you for that link. I had fun with it too and will echo what others have said about junk, rusting rings, thin jar walls and general cheapness these days. Seems like with all the stuff they want to put ON the jars, you'll never be able to see what's IN the jars!! Especially after a few seasons.

What got me was the "Grip Jar" coating. Maybe I'm mistaken, but might the insulation on the jar affect canning times? Wouldn't that be a health risk or is this just me? Seems to me that if it affected canning times, then someone might get hurt..

Sunglasses for my jars? I don't keep them on the windowsill, guys.

New tough glass? Sounds like Pyrex and an excuse for even thinner jar walls.

All of that stuff is an excuse to raise prices.. Sheesh.

BPA Free was the only helpful thing I saw.

Hetep

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America