Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Whoops,sprouting in frig!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I put some roscoea purpurea seeds in a baggie of damp vermucilite back in April in my seed frig then it went missing. Just a couple weeks ago I was moving containers of seeds around and found the baggie having dropped behind another container in the door shelves. Of course they had sprouted and it's hotter than the surface of the sun (ok.maybe a slight exaggartion but close)and I can't sow them and set them out there in this heat so I'm wondering what their chances would be on a light bench until cooler weather and I can move them to the greenhouse. GH has a big fan but in this heat it's just a confection oven for tiny seedlings.

Edited to add: since they seemed to be doing fine in the frig,maybe I should sow them in pots and keep them in the frig until Nov or so?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 7:06 AM

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

How bout you just leave them in the fridge till the outside temps match up?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

sounds like a plan

Yep. If they're content enough to grow in your fridge, leave 'em be!

I'm thinking I could slip my cabbage seedlings into the fridge after they germinate, til temps here drop down to the 70s.

BTW, What's the internal temp on a fridge?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

probably around 36-40

That might be just a tiny bit too chilly over a long stretch to start off.

Thanks!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I can bump it up. It's not a frig for food....just my seeds

Ok!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

say maybe 60?

60 or even 50 would be great.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Okey Dokey

Uh, Red, just to clarify, I just reviewed this conversation and the 60-50 recommendation was for my cabbage and brassica seedlings. If your seedlings are doing good at 36-40, cool (no pun intended).

Linda

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.