Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: Basil turning black after harvesting....

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 5, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #8058659

Last year's harvest was great, tied the stems together, hung upside down to dry, and had a wonderful winter of garden herbs for cooking and had lots for Christmas gifts as well.

Well, this year, I've now had this happen twice. I harvest the basil and bring it in, put it in a fresh water soak to rinse the dirt off, then get distracted and come back, sometimes only an hour later, and it has turned the leaves black. Not all of it turns, just some of the leaves, and on parts of the leaves, with the rest staying green.

I'm pretty new to herbs, so I'm not sure what's going on...and if I can go ahead and use the black parts, or should I discard them? The plants are extremely healthy, and the taste and aroma is wonderful. And if this is normal, how can I store the basil fresh for use a couple days later? I see it sold in grocery stores as fresh leaves and they look fine.

Thanks for any advice...

Angie
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #8058690

Also, some of the branches are just beginning to put on evidence of flowers...still green on the tips, but distinctive start to the flowering. When does the basil generally become bitter...when the flower is completely bloomed out, or when it begins to put on the blooms at first?

If it doesn't become bitter until the flowers actually bloom out, can the ends be used with the leaves for drying herbs for cooking? Or should I pinch that off and discard it?

Also, does it matter how large and old the leaves are, as long as it hasn't flowered? Or are the larger, older leaves bitter?

Thanks!
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 24, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #8058763

Angie, it could be the water you used to rinse is too cold. Basil is particularly sensitive to cold and can blacken quickly. Try using tepid water for rinsing. Also, do not store your basil in the fridge. Place the stems of basil in a glass, with only an inch or so of water. Keep the glass on your countertop. Change the water daily. Use tepid water again. That should give you a few days of freshness for your picked basil.

Betty
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #8066589

I don't rinse herbs, just shake them off gently and strip them directly into the dehydrator, if I am using one, or bunch and hang. IMO, rinsing adds water when you are wanting to take it away. Most aromatic herbs are not going to have many bugs on them anyway. Bugs don't seem to like most strong smells.

They recommend most herbs be picked before the flowers open. I try to get them when they are budding, because I like to see the buds in the jar. Some I pick with flowers on, if I don't get to them on time. I did that with oregano last year, and it tasted fine; I'm going to do the same this year. I also did that with some lemon balm this year, but they were not as aromatic as when they are budding. Maybe let some flower and see how they taste.
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8077180

Thanks for the info -

Have some drying right now, hanging by cotton thread and upside down.

I have lots and lots of sugar sand, so the plants get coated in the sand from wind and splashes from rains or watering, so not rinsing is not an option here. I guess I live on a beach...if you're from the Pleistocene Era! Crazy that we have so much sand an ZERO surface water here.

Angie
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8356576

Sand, sand everywhere, here, too. High desert used to be a sea floor. But the herbs love the fact that it is sharply draining. :-) Rinsing is not an option here, either - unless, of course, one LIKES a fine spinkling of silicon with thier herbs!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America