Show Off Your Wild Flowers!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

There are so many threads of all kinds of great pictures, but I don't see one for wildflowers! Show off the ones from where you live.. and if you know the names of any, please share. I admit I do NOT know wildflower names :)

These are from here in Iowa.. the first one is actually a water plant in Lake Macbride that I found blooming this past weekend.

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

These are from Port Louisa Wildlife Sanctuary..

And another from that same area but these were growing in the ditch :)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

From North Central Pennsylvania comes this beauty....a wild raspberry that grows in our deep mountains usually along the unimproved mountain roads.

Thumbnail by docgipe

That's a beautiful flower! I bet people stop alongside the road to get the raspberries :)

thanks for showing it off!

These raspberries are as sour as the flower is beautiful. Foxes and birds eat the berries.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Sorry I don't know the name of this one. I found it at my brother's camp.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This is a wild impatient, jewelweed.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

I like that jewelweed..pretty color! I don't know any names of the flowers I've taken pics of :)

Here's one of mine..

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/wildplants/all/ There is a forum for wildflowers. Here's some blue lobelia:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hummingbirds must like those Jmorth. I want to get the red ones for my pond area.
That's a neat kind of flower on that wild flower ClanCampbell
Poke weed , I grow this in my wild garden for the birds.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Trillium found in the open woods near my brother in law's home in New Hampshire.

Thumbnail by docgipe

Nice stand of Laurel, North Central Pennsylvania. There are millions of acres in bloom all across the state in season.

Thumbnail by docgipe

Thanks, Jmorth, I didn't even look for one! I'll go check it out as I love wildflowers :)

A wild garden.. great idea..I'm assuming that you let it go to seed, so the birds can chow down! But I bet you get a lot of butterflies in it, don't you?

doc, that's some beautiful flowers.. millions? wow..

Here's one I saw in the ditch on a backroad here in Iowa

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Chris, you know of any geode sites around Burlington?

I've heard that Lake Geode State Park, which is about 20 mins away, is a good place for them (I guess that's kind of a "duh" thing! LOL) I don't look for them myself.. but I've always heard that Skunk River is good for them too.

Considering how many I see for sale at flea markets, etc.. I'd say they're all over! :) In fact, there was someone this weekend having a big sale on the rocks.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Chris, I may check out your Skunk River area next summer. We go to Davenport around the 4th of July every year to take in the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest and usually do some collecting on the way home.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Clan.................I am absolutely sure "millions" is not a big enough number for the Laurel. Laurel is solidly established in the Appalachian Mountain chain that runs from Maine to Georgia. it takes a very experienced and healthy hiker to make the trip in one hiking season. It takes seven to eight hours to drive through Pennsylvania on Rt 80 East or West.
Most of our mountains were formed and valleys cut by the ice age ice movement from the Great Lakes to the Finger Lakes. Nearly all of our present significant river flows are through the North South valleys cut by the ice.

Naturally there are Laurel seasons that vary as the ranges move between Maine to Georgia. Literally thousands of festive activities are associated with the bloom of the Laurel. There are three color phases: pink, red and white. White is the majority bloom but all three exisit in every area I have investigated. It is the Pennsylvania State Flower.

Now the bad news is Laruel is a cotton picking bad invasive weed. It is also a bad fire supporter. The wet living wood will burn. It is a fact that most mountain land managers would be happy to know how to control it. Yet it is protected by our state.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Impressive wildflower presentation.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Fleabane.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Swamp Iris.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

doc, that's fascinating.. I didn't realize that it was that widespread..unfortunately, that's a part of the U.S. that I've never been through..may have to check into that for next summer! :)

jmorth, come on down! I'll see if I can get you a more precise location for looking before you come next year..

I'll go OT a little here.. this is a geode that I found at the Bentonsport Flea Market this summer..it had been already cracked open, but it fits together still so well..

and here's how it looks inside :)

Ok, back to the topic :) Burn, I really like the swamp iris.. is it about the same size flowerhead as Siberian Iris? In your pic, it makes me think that it's a smaller flower.

Let me see what flower I haven't shown yet...

This message was edited Sep 6, 2010 9:50 AM

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

nice quartz and calcite geode

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice sunflower.
Docgipe, I've never seen a nice big clump of Trillium like your. I've seen them in single plant only. The Laurel, are beautiful bushes.
Love the interesting geode.Clan.

A yellow lady slipper.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Anemone Canadensis.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Given the right conditions most wild flowers will colonize. That was the largest patch of Trillium I have seen to date.
The years have caught up with me. I wish I could still get out into the wilds and go for wild flowers. Now I have to ride a mechanical donkey of some type and be hitched to an oxygen tank. Most of the interesting trails seldom used in our mountains are game trails in State Forest controlled mountains. Mechanical devises are not permitted.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Cardinal Flower in ditch.

Thumbnail by jmorth

That looks almost like the place I was at yesterday, jmorth LOL.. I had fun chasing around monarch butterflies. I don't know names of wildflowers, but love how they look.. :)

another one in the same area

oops.. not that one.. THIS one :) Notice all the pollen on the bee's knees? lol

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

3 Skippers on New England Aster, as is your first pic ClanC, goldenrod forms the bee base.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Red Admiral on aster.

Thumbnail by jmorth

The Red Admiral is really nice. You can improve the next shot by trying filling in light with your flash or having an assistant use a pie pan or similar reflector to fill in just a little light between the wings. I really like your other photographic setting choices you chose. If you can do it try 1/500th of a second a very low f stop and an ISO 200. If you are using a simple point and shoot you have an excellent shot. It is just amazing to me the quality of images that now show up here on an hourly basis.

Thank you, jmorth, for confirming that is an aster..I thought it must be, but good to know for sure. And Goldenrod..I love that flower (flowers?), it just fills in everywhere! Here's another one of it but with a very pretty white butterfly. I didn't notice the wasp until I uploaded the pic.. a lot of color on him :)

Doc, you sure sound like you're done more than your share of camera use :) I don't know alot about this digital that I bought, just know I love using it! It's a Nikon D60 and you're right ..I just point and shoot! I've been looking at some filters on Ebay for it..think I'm going to get some for macros and even try those 2x lens that they have out there. Specially since I can't afford to buy the 300mm that I keep drooling over :)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2010 7:50 PM

It was the folks on DG who motivated me to get a bit beyond the elementary steps of photographic growth. Save your money and just shoot the dickens out of that D60. Read and study for yourself. I have discovered that I do not need the 300mm even for sports shooting. A 70 X 200mm f/2.8 with motion computer is so good I can crop a two inch segment out of it and still have an excellent shot. The key is f/2.8 lens quality.

There are so many lens choices out there it is mind boggling. The key is to be patient and talk and study others you like. I'm all Canon so I do not know what all choices you may have. I know there will be many and similar to what I have waded through to make a decision on. I got some help from our DG photo forum. I also went to the Canon forums where a couple of guys really helped me. This in addition to my own reading and study,
My major interest is sports photography. I am just now after three or four years upgrading my two major lenses for my Rebel XTi. The issue will always be the lens. How good do you want it to be? How good a lens can you afford? What are others you admire using?

Lets not steal this forum. D mail me and or chase me over to the photo forum.

My first close up work was done with the close up sets from Japan I believe. I had 2X, 4x, and 6X. They could be used individually or stacked right on the camera lens. Again talk and listen to others. The better quality the sharper the image will be.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lovely butterfly on your wild flowers.
Found these wild Sunflowers along the road, this afternoon.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wild Asters.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Coreopsis

Thumbnail by jmorth

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.