Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry tree: Texas full sun?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wynswid
Garland, TX

August 27, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8065234

Has anyone grown one of these in DFW area's full sun?
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8065589

I grew one down in San Marcos.
Two words: Slow death

This is a tree that loves a more Northern environment. I suspect it will live for 1-2 years and will slowly but surely die.

wynswid
Garland, TX

August 27, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #8065848

Maybe, I should plant it in the shade?
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #8066150

Try lots of morning sun and no late afternoon sun.
The North side of your house will be the coolest. You will want this tree to freeze hard during the winter for it to get enough chill to make flowers the following year. The cherries are tiny and not that great.
stevesivek
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8067117

My son planted one early this spring here in SE Texas. It gets (got) morning sun and afternoon shade. Like jujube first said - slow death. Once it gets Texas-hot no amount of water is going to save it. It's a northern tree only and should not be sold south of Colorado. Problem is, most big retailers order in bulk and ship to all outlets across the country with no consideration of the climate where they're sold. All they want to do is make a sale without regards for who and where it's going to be put in the ground. Final words - don't waste your money!
wynswid
Garland, TX

July 12, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9203049

As you all predicted, it died this summer. I wish I wasn't so tempted to buy plants as soon as I see them; Lowe's/HD have too many plants that won't make it here. I'm going to try to make myself go home, research them, and then go back if I find positives for this area.

Thank you all.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 12, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9203309

Wynswid I suffer the same phenomenon. I will try to grow anything I fall in love with, especially if its in the back of Loews on the Markdown racks. :) I do the same with Hostas, all Hostas dont make it. Then there is Cracker Crumbs and Liberty, if I can get one cheap enough I grow it as an annual. :)
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9203413

I have some low chill Cherries in my backyard but they get no sun after 1pm.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9216541

City_Sylvia wrote:Wynswid I suffer the same phenomenon. I will try to grow anything I fall in love with, especially if its in the back of Loews on the Markdown racks. :) I do the same with Hostas, all Hostas dont make it. Then there is Cracker Crumbs and Liberty, if I can get one cheap enough I grow it as an annual. :)

I am in Cache OK, just north of Wichita Falls TX. I think it is zone 7. Can I grow hostas here? I thought they just needed shade to grow, but your comment here implies that even with shade, the high temps will do them in? Say it aint so!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9216756

wynswid
"quick death" for my Weeping Cherry trees too.
They were planted in full sun with a few hours of shade! They did not survive the first winter.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9216999

The hostas we grow in the south don't get as gorgeous as those of the northeast regions- you would have to research for a hosta that could handle hi heat and plant in deep shade- my daughter had one named Guacamole that survived til the drought, heat and fires of last summer, never got enough attention but did survive 4-5 yrs...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9217588

wow. I'm in tears. Ok so is there anything that will thrive here in the hot temps with shade and a fair amount of watering. By that I mean it will get watered but will probably dry out between waterings. There is basically no humidity where I am either so the air is very dry. Of course it won't have wind on it because I am planting it in an enclosed area where it will protected.
any hope?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9217610

Lawton isn't that bad, watermelons grow very well, think cedars do too, cannas, crepe myrtles, herbs, grass burs, chuckl, do you have ANY trees at all? They tend to be thick down in the hollows because the winds are hard on the hilltops, post oaks, a few blackjack oaks, sweet Williams, sedums, my roses loved that area- and lilacs if I remember right...catfish and cornbread, Indian Paintbrush, and scissortail swallows, redbuds, dogwoods. Pyracanthas and never can remember the yellow ones name that blooms with pyracantha, gardens do very well,
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9217621

so anything for a shade garden?
I love coleus will they grow here? I tried some impatients under my covered porch and they died. But of course I always kill anything in a pot, so hard to tell there.
There are some varieties of hosta that will grow here ok though right?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9217894

Hosta plantaginea, ck that one Frilly
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9218886

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2982/

here is a link to it in plant files.
I had a hosta in MO that I gave a piece of to my mom to keep for me. I dug it up at an old house. It grows vigorously and has glossy leaves and gets large. I am almost certain looking at the pictures that this is it! I am going to ask my mom if she remembers if it blooms white or lavender, but I think it was white.
Either way, thank you for the name and I will make sure I try one of those!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 28, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9222052

FRILLY, you live in zone 7, you should have no real problem growing most Hostas!
Kitt is right, most of these newer hostas dont grow as big as they do in the north, but they are just as pretty.
Shop the web for the oldie goldies, Francee, Royal Standard, Ventricosta, Halcyon.Just be sure you got good soil and an above the ground irrigation system you can buy at the Home Depot or Lowes. start up cost about 36.00. I wish I lived in a zone 7. I got Hosta buddies who live in OK. One of them owned over 400 hostas the last I heard.
Plantiginea is another good Hosta in the south, the one you Identified.
I will work on a list for you. I had four or five Hostas that grew so fast, I gave them away at the plant swaps. lol
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9225582

Well I guess my concern is the area of OK I am in, is very dry and hot. I think if you get into eastern OK there is an average of 50 inches a year of rain, lots more humid of course.
Last year we got like 2 inches and not nearly enough this year either and are in a continuing drought, well it isn't "supposed" to be like this, I think our average here is 29 inches a year, if I remember right. Where I was in MO the yr average was 39 I think.
So I guess mostly concerned that the hostas will do poorly without humidity. It is really dry air here, and back home where I grew several hostas and they did well, we had much higher humidity. I tried some impaitents this yr in a pot, but they just dried up! I think they didn't like the wind and the dry air. I might try them again sometime in an area with more protection from the wind.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9225794

I understand entirely!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 1, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9225916

I think I am lucky to have gardened in a northern garden most of my life before moving here. I see plants in all the garden centers that I know grow up north and I pass them by. If I grew it in MI, I won't buy it for here. That has forced me to learn about plants adapted to or native to this area.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America