Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Is this what I think it is?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2001
2:32 PM

Post #15132

Is this a type of Coreopsis? or a type of Cosmos? at the bottom of it on the ground, it is flat to the ground and about 8" around, then it comes up with thin stalks and the leaves look like a type of cosmos...but I can't be for sure.
Can anyone tell from this picture what it really is??

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2001
3:35 PM

Post #140479

Boy is that pretty!? I want some, whatever it is. Looks like cosmos to me, are the leaves feathery like an asparagus fern sorta? How tall is it? How big are the blossoms?

-JJ
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2001
4:36 PM

Post #140534

JJ,
The bloom is about the size of a quarter and they are a deep yellow color with a slight burgandy color in the center of it. The plant is about 3' tall and the leaves do look like the ones found on cosmos kinda feathery. I am trying to collect seeds from it, but so far I don't know if I have the right thing or not, but I will surely post them as soon as I know I have the seeds from it. and you are welcome to some of them.

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2001
11:17 AM

Post #141145

You have Coreopsis tinctoria (Plains Coreopsis) A wonderful reseeding, pretty little annual.http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/31.html
I direct sowed some seeds for them a few years ago and now I have them every year.
As for finding the seeds, let the flower head turn crispy brown before harvesting them. The little black seeds will be inside the dry flower.
There's a pretty all red one too.
It's called Red plains coreopsis http://davesgarden.com/showthread/113405.html
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2001
7:16 PM

Post #141386

O Joy Joy Joy!!! Thank you!!!! This is the same plant that I have in my bed also...I really like it and glad to hear that it will self sow for next year, I wouldn't care if it were all over the place, I think it is soo pretty and makes nice color in the beds.
Thanks Again!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America