-
AuthorContent
Sunnyside_One
Fayetteville, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8065366

I want to grow thyme in a fairly large area of about 70 square feet. I'm preparing the area now by first removing the clay soil. I want to create a soil that would be perfect for growing thyme. I know thyme does not require or appreciate rich soil and that it must be well drained. I'm thinking about mixing 1 part sand, 1 part peat, 1 part vermiculite and 1 part composted cotton burrs. I have to carry all this material in a bushel basket on my shoulder upgrade about a 100 feet so it will be a great amount of work. The sand is quite heavy. It weighs 100 pounds per cubic foot. I'm thinking about adding the vermiculite because it's light weight and helps to hold moisture evenly. Could I please get some suggestions on what you all think would be a good soil mix for growing thyme. I haven't decided on what kind of thyme I'll be planting as of yet. I think I'll use plugs, tho. The area will only have light occasional foot traffic.

Also, would anyone here be willing to show me their thyme growing or direct me to a public garden where it's growing? I've never seen a large area of it in person before. I travel on my job in the Pittsburgh PA, Columbus OH, Cincinnati/Dayton OH, Indianapolis IN, and Chicago area and would love to see a nice example of thyme before I go through with this project. If anyone has a better suggestion for a ground cover, please tell me what you think. I live in southern West Virginia. My blue star creeper froze out last year when it got to about 10 below zero here.

Thanks for any help.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8066057

Before you go through all that work why not try a little pot of thyme in the area where you want to plant it to see how well it does without all the amendments?

If you do use all the additions please wear a disposable breathing mask when using vermiculite: http://www.airfilterusa.com/3m-home-dust-mask-model-8662es.html?___SID=U

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America