Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Can Redwood sawdust be used for mulch?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
not2simple
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2010
11:07 PM

Post #8066524

We are de-structing a 12'x20' deck that was built exclusively with Redwood. One of the leader boards gave way and any form of repair requires that the deck be taking down. The deck was built in the mid 60's and from what I can find out it has never been painted or sealed other than the original painting after it was built. Hubby and I are planning on recycling the lumber by planing the boards and using them on the new deck. My question is...what can be done with the sawdust after the lumber has been planed? There will be a lot of it. Can it be used as mulch, or put into the compost? Or used to help break up our heavy clay soil?

If this can be used as mulch, maybe I can save it and use it around the garden next year. Hmmm.

Any advice would be appreciated.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #8068422

I've seen redwood chips used around plants and did not harm them. Plus over the years it works its way into the soil and plants still grow, so I don't see why you can't use it. Redwood does keep bugs away.
not2simple
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8068506

Thanks marti001. That is was my thinking, I will "bag and tag" it for the garden next year. Around here much of the mulch you buy has cedar in it and you have to careful with that. Even though it is late in the season, I will try some of it around some existing plants and see what happens. I am always trying different things with my plants and garden, some things work and some things don't. Thanks again!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8068541

Good luck. I'm using pine and maple chips in my gardens. It helps protect the plants and break up this horrible red clay.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America